Class of 2017!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Medical school is tough. Micro and neuro are really kicking my butt and we are only half way through it.

Neuro is kicking mine for sure. Path is much easier.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Starting our final block today... Neuro! In other news, I've come down with a serious case of the Mondays.
Neuro isn't that bad. I feel like, at least at my school, it is pretty slow and as long as you keep up with the pathways it makes sense. At least it is logical in the way that it is laid out.

Now micro is different altogether. It is a never ending list of random facts to memorize. Each day is just more and more information, each slightly different than the last. These slight differences are a pain to memorize and are the bane of my existence right now. I am probably not going to pass this test because it seems we are tested on the smallest of details. Screw micro.

Reactions: 1 user
Neuro isn't that bad. I feel like, at least at my school, it is pretty slow and as long as you keep up with the pathways it makes sense. At least it is logical in the way that it is laid out.

Now micro is different altogether. It is a never ending list of random facts to memorize. Each day is just more and more information, each slightly different than the last. These slight differences are a pain to memorize and are the bane of my existence right now. I am probably not going to pass this test because it seems we are tested on the smallest of details. Screw micro.
Micro was a lot, but I feel like the pharmacology of neuro is pretty close to being on par with the whole "random facts" part of micro

Micro was a lot, but I feel like the pharmacology of neuro is pretty close to being on par with the whole "random facts" part of micro
I don't think we cover pharmacology at all in neuro. We have a special pharm course by itself, which will suck. It is 4.5 months long and we get it right after summer break.

I don't think we cover pharmacology at all in neuro. We have a special pharm course by itself, which will suck. It is 4.5 months long and we get it right after summer break.
Wow, that would be rough.
I guess I should be glad that in our systems based curriculum we treat pharm of each system as it comes. Turns it into smaller, more easy memorized (and then forgotten) chunks.

And in other news, my wife just got her appendix out today. Mondays ftw

I'm usually a faithful lecture-goer but our virology lecturer (who we have for 2 weeks) is not useful. He putters along at a snail's pace and every time he hits something substantive, he skips it and tells us to self-study those slides at home. So I'm skipping micro for the next two weeks to do that.

Please give me your awesome virus-learning links and ideas. Is it possible to watch other med schools' micro lectures?

Members don't see this ad :)
We have a Step 1 orientation thing (for a review course we're taking throughout next year) tomorrow. Crazy that that test is only about a year away.

Had behavioral medicine exam today. Neuro final next friday. Psych final two weeks later.

Undergrads at my university finished classes last week.

Summer, where art thou?

So I changed my avatar today because I thought the creator of SDN, Lee, had the same avatar as me (I didn't want to look like I copied after him). It turns out the SDN app for some strange reason shows his avatar as the same as yours no matter what even though he has had the same avatar for years. I just thought Lee was a big fan of Breaking Bad. Haha

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else started to think about Step 1 yet? I feel like it's getting too close now.

That and I want to forget about Neuro right now.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone else started to think about Step 1 yet? I feel like it's getting too close now.

That and I want to forget about Neuro right now.

Been going through FA/med essentials all year and FC since November. Basically I read my class notes once and spend the rest of my study time in board stuff.

Been going through FA/med essentials all year and FC since November. Basically I read my class notes once and spend the rest of my study time in board stuff.

Kind of what I've been doing since we got to organ systems. Mainly FA, pathoma, and clin micro made extremely easy. Just started looking at FC...really like it

Kind of what I've been doing since we got to organ systems. Mainly FA, pathoma, and clin micro made extremely easy. Just started looking at FC...really like it

Eh, how do you guys do in your classes? I'd be flunking if I only looked at class notes once.
I was thinking of starting FA this summer- please tell I'm not the only one who hasn't started board prep yet.

Eh, how do you guys do in your classes? I'd be flunking if I only looked at class notes once.
I was thinking of starting FA this summer- please tell I'm not the only one who hasn't started board prep yet.

I haven't started. I use FA Organ Systems to study since that's how my curriculum is.. but I planned to start this summer too.

So far I've honored them. But I do try to read through a primary source like Lily, for cardio, and then move to FA/FC.

I really haven't been prepping for boards though...plan to do a little during the summer using FC though.

So far I've honored them. But I do try to read through a primary source like Lily, for cardio, and then move to FA/FC.

I really haven't been prepping for boards though...plan to do a little during the summer using FC though.

Well I guess kind of because our school doesn't cover micro and pharm well and I have been putting more emphasis on these things than our profs have.

High 90s (98, 95, 97, 97, 97 most recently)

Most of the time I get enough big picture understanding (from FA and review books) to reason my way to the right answer even if it's minutiae from the class notes.

It's also pretty common that I don't know the answer, but I know what the teacher is trying to test. Test taker's intuition, as I like to call it.

Other times I'll recognize something from FA that we weren't taught in class and get the answer that way.

The highest yield stuff is in review books unless your teachers are total jerks and test tons of useless minutiae.. I wouldn't be doing well in that type of curriculum.

So close to being done
All that's left is our block exam in Pharm, Cardio, Pulm, and Renal.

Two neuro test left for us. I can't believe we are almost done with first year. I remember talking about submitting AMCAS with you guys.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Two neuro test left for us. I can't believe we are almost done with first year. I remember talking about submitting AMCAS with you guys.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Its been almost 2 years since we submitted AMCAS! Where did the time go?! This means we'll be residents in the blink of an eye :)

I passed neuro! That's awesome. I only had a baby that stayed in the NICU for two weeks, wife and 4 yr old daughter at home needing taking care of (post C-section for wifey), and then my wife had to get an appendectomy last week. That's all.

Actually in retrospect, I think my wife deserves the most credit here.

Reactions: 4 users