Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It was actually argued in pre-vet quite separately back when I was first posting here. Not everything is about pre-allo....do a search in this forum
It was a reference to something else, and I was joking that it came up here as well, and hence tagged the people that it was meant for. Also that beginning was super sarcastic, and should have rightfully induced eye rolling. But no, I was almost positive it has happened here before. But for me, silly arguments like that are a huge pet peeve of mine, so meh

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Even though I know they failed out due to being complete lazy bums (one of them tried the undergrad "cram the night of the exam" method) it still freaks me out.

That's weird... I passed all of my classes and made honor roll two years in a row with "the undergrad cram the night of the exam" method :thinking: The year I didn't make the honor roll I was studying every night.

All snark aside, don't assume you know what's up just yet. When you're drowning in material and trying to stay afloat, you may find that being a quintessential student isn't as noble or easy as it once seemed. People who don't study at all might be blowing past you while others study all of the time and still struggle a lot.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That's weird... I passed all of my classes and made honor roll two years in a row with "the undergrad cram the night of the exam" method :thinking: The year I didn't make the honor roll I was studying every night.

Using redhead's post as a jumping off point, I always FELT like a lazy bum in vet school because while most everyone else was up studying until all hours of the night, I usually quit studying around 10 and went to bed. Nor did I get up at the crack of dawn (or before) to study the morning of an exam. We're all different.

Reactions: 1 users
Using redhead's post as a jumping off point, I always FELT like a lazy bum in vet school because while most everyone else was up studying until all hours of the night, I usually quit studying around 10 and went to bed. Nor did I get up at the crack of dawn (or before) to study the morning of an exam. We're all different.
like special little snowflakes ;)

Reactions: 3 users
I think this is totally normal. When I got my first acceptance, I got very nervous. I was/am terrified of what will happen if I fail out of vet school. That fear fell to the back burner when I got accepted to my IS school. I think I'm as prepared as I can be, but I know it's going to be harder than anything I've done so far. A friend of mine started last fall and she said the first week was completely overwhelming, but she's gotten into it now and she works hard but still finds time to go out and have fun.

Oh, and when is it acceptable to change my status to "vet student". :D

Definitely do not judge someone based on this. Chances are more than just this is what was going on. I tried studying a bit every night and things just kind of snowball and you end up cramming either way. After first year though, I stopped with all the nighters though and grades went up. Still basically studied the night before though. Just got more efficient at it.

Reactions: 1 user

All snark aside, don't assume you know what's up just yet. When you're drowning in material and trying to stay afloat, you may find that being a quintessential student isn't as noble or easy as it once seemed. People who don't study at all might be blowing past you while others study all of the time and still struggle a lot.
Well that strategy obviously didn't work for him.

The consensus my year was that you could change it when you started classes. There was a big debate about it too, like people were taking advice from posters they thought were in vet school who hadn't even started yet blah blah blah. Honestly I don't think it really matters.

Beware saying this. There are many of us currently surviving vet school who have to resort to this method in order to keep up with all the other classes. Myself included. And part of it is making sure I stay sane by not studying all the time, giving myself time to be a lazy bum. Just saying.
Ok I guess I'll have to expand on this since I didn't provide enough context. He wasn't doing the "cram before the test" method due to lack of time. He went to a caribbean school and spent all day at the beach. I know different people study in different ways and I'm sure there are plenty of gifted individuals that can pull that off, but he obviously couldn't.

Ok I guess I'll have to expand on this since I didn't provide enough context. He wasn't doing the "cram before the test" method due to lack of time. He went to a caribbean school and spent all day at the beach. I know different people study in different ways and I'm sure there are plenty of gifted individuals that can pull that off, but he obviously couldn't.
Luckily I live in/attend school in MN otherwise I'd probably want to do the same ... why did it have to snow again?

But you bring up a good point. We all have to find what works for us individually, your friend probably had colleagues in his class who were spending all day at the beach and still managing to get through school, and that method didn't work for him. I'm a firm believer that it all comes down to knowing yourself and how you manage your own time.

I know this probably isn't that relevant right now but I've been thinking the last few months about specializing. I've always been interested in neuro and oncology in particular, but of course that's another four years and a pretty small residency salary during that time. That would mean more interest on the loans accumulating and having to keep up grades for all four years of veterinary school to be considered competitive. There's way more factors than this I'm sure but it's something to consider, plus I don't have to make this decision for a couple more years yet.

It was a reference to something else, and I was joking that it came up here as well, and hence tagged the people that it was meant for. Also that beginning was super sarcastic, and should have rightfully induced eye rolling. But no, I was almost positive it has happened here before. But for me, silly arguments like that are a huge pet peeve of mine, so meh
Inb4 STL changes status to Veterinary Student (Accepted)

Definitely do not judge someone based on this. Chances are more than just this is what was going on. I tried studying a bit every night and things just kind of snowball and you end up cramming either way. After first year though, I stopped with all the nighters though and grades went up. Still basically studied the night before though. Just got more efficient at it.
All-nighters are poison for you academically. Not only can you not study efficiently, but you give up the important time you need to actually encode information to long-term memory, which occurs during sleep. And then you're a zombie the next day, and get to enjoy learning nothing all over again, because you've got no energy for it and your brain isn't functioning properly. The moral of the story for anyone out there still pulling all-nighters is simply
51423713.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
I wasn't judging anyone. She gives me hope that I'll also find my way once classes start! I'm sure I'll be just as overwhelmed in the beginning as she was (maybe more).

My status change comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, reflecting my excitement. I had no idea it had been a previously debated topic.

All-nighters are poison for you academically. Not only can you not study efficiently, but you give up the important time you need to actually encode information to long-term memory, which occurs during sleep. And then you're a zombie the next day, and get to enjoy learning nothing all over again, because you've got no energy for it and your brain isn't functioning properly. The moral of the story for anyone out there still pulling all-nighters is simply
51423713.jpg

Yeah...I don't know why I started up again in vet school. Best guess is the sheer amount of information we had to know sent me into a panic. I stopped doing them junior year of college and realized I did a million times better academically if I just said eff it and slept. I learned I can actually READ the questions correctly and might be able to logically work through a problem instead of relying on really fuzzy recall.

I wasn't judging anyone. She gives me hope that I'll also find my way once classes start! I'm sure I'll be just as overwhelmed in the beginning as she was (maybe more).

My status change comment was meant to be tongue-in-cheek, reflecting my excitement. I had no idea it had been a previously debated topic.

I don't think I was responding to you, more Felixor I believe...too lazy to check.

Exam tomorrow morning.. I have barely looked at anything. Damn, knew I was doing this vet school thing wrong.

(Seriously, I need to get to it... someone light a fire under my ass..)

Exam tomorrow morning.. I have barely looked at anything. Damn, knew I was doing this vet school thing wrong.

If you think you're grumpy now, just imagine how grumpy you'd be teching for the rest of your life. Get to it!

Hold on, let me go find a lighter...

So I've been reading a couple of the older c/o forums and it's making me really nervous to start school... I never really thought I would get imposter syndrome but I'm kind of feeling like I'm not going to be able to handle school. I think I will be okay but it's hard not really knowing what to expect. Anyone else in this same boat? I've been nothing but excited until now and now I'm super nervous :-/
What is imposter syndrome? I'm worried about the course load too :(!

Oh don't worry about it. I don't think there was a single exam that I didn't pull an all nighter for throughout vet school and I took over 150 exams. Ish fine.

What is imposter syndrome? I'm worried about the course load too :(!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Essentially I'm feeling like they mistakenly sent me an acceptance. I know this isn't the case but I can't help but feel like I'm going to fail out... Honestly I have been feeling a little better since I posted originally and have stayed off of the forums that were discouraging me. I think I am just feeling depressed about a lot of things in general because the weather has really been getting to me. I need a vacation and warm weather!!

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome

Essentially I'm feeling like they mistakenly sent me an acceptance. I know this isn't the case but I can't help but feel like I'm going to fail out... Honestly I have been feeling a little better since I posted originally and have stayed off of the forums that were discouraging me. I think I am just feeling depressed about a lot of things in general because the weather has really been getting to me. I need a vacation and warm weather!!
At the beginning of last semester, I was feeling exactly what you are describing. I felt like at any moment someone would come along, declare they made a mistake in accepting me, and kick me out of school. I just wasn't feeling good enough, even though I wasn't near failing. The feeling isn't entirely gone, and I'm sure it will come back with a vengeance when clinics hit, but it did get a little better for me as time continued on and I got settled in to vet school and the course-load associated with it. The adcoms (for the most part) know what they are doing. You were accepted for a reason, and though it doesn't feel like it, you can make it through. That being said, one piece of advice that stuck with me from the beginning of the semester was to reach out for help if you need it. Most (if not all) vet schools have fantastic support systems, and have several mechanisms in place if you start to slip academically (For example, at my school if you got below a 70 on your first anatomy exam you were required to talk to the main professor about study habits and what might have gone wrong). If you are starting to fall behind, or are confused or worried about something (and it doesn't have to be school related), don't be afraid to talk to a professor, counselor, classmate, you name it. They are all there for you, and they sincerely want you to succeed, so don't be hesitant to reach out to someone if you need to.

Reactions: 7 users
At the beginning of last semester, I was feeling exactly what you are describing. I felt like at any moment someone would come along, declare they made a mistake in accepting me, and kick me out of school. I just wasn't feeling good enough, even though I wasn't near failing. The feeling isn't entirely gone, and I'm sure it will come back with a vengeance when clinics hit, but it did get a little better for me as time continued on and I got settled in to vet school and the course-load associated with it. The adcoms (for the most part) know what they are doing. You were accepted for a reason, and though it doesn't feel like it, you can make it through. That being said, one piece of advice that stuck with me from the beginning of the semester was to reach out for help if you need it. Most (if not all) vet schools have fantastic support systems, and have several mechanisms in place if you start to slip academically (For example, at my school if you got below a 70 on your first anatomy exam you were required to talk to the main professor about study habits and what might have gone wrong). If you are starting to fall behind, or are confused or worried about something (and it doesn't have to be school related), don't be afraid to talk to a professor, counselor, classmate, you name it. They are all there for you, and they sincerely want you to succeed, so don't be hesitant to reach out to someone if you need to.

Thank you so much! I am going to try to stay positive and get myself excited again about going to school. Slowly, I am getting myself there.

Rabies series done, apartment lease signed, moving dates sorted out...starting to feel ready for this!

Steeles.com is having a really awesome sale if anyone is looking to buy a stethoscope! :D

I was actually wondering when it would be best to buy one. Is there even a reason for getting one our first year since most of us won't be doing anything clinical for the first 3ish years?

I was actually wondering when it would be best to buy one. Is there even a reason for getting one our first year since most of us won't be doing anything clinical for the first 3ish years?
Yeah, you'll need one first semester at Michigan state. We have a clinical competencies course that we start learning and practicing physical exams on different species, which of course, involves a stethoscope. :)
There will be a supplies sale that you'll get an email about later this summer, but you can buy one from somewhere else. Maybe just slightly cheaper through the sale. Talk to your big sib (once you get one) about what you'll really need. :)

Oh don't worry about it. I don't think there was a single exam that I didn't pull an all nighter for throughout vet school and I took over 150 exams. Ish fine.
I'm about halfway through and have yet to pull an all nighter. I also never did them in undergrad, but that's because I'm an old lady and I just can't stay up that late. Everyone studies differently, it's just all about finding what works for you.

People who can function without sleep... are going to excel in clinics. Cause that is the part I'm going to fail with. I pulled 1 all nighter in undergrad and vowed to never do it again. Still haven't pulled another one. Must get my sleep to do well on exams.

I'm about halfway through and have yet to pull an all nighter. I also never did them in undergrad, but that's because I'm an old lady and I just can't stay up that late. Everyone studies differently, it's just all about finding what works for you.

Yeah that's all I was saying. Just cause it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's "academic poison" for others. No need to judge others learning styles based on your (a general you) experience. I personally attended at best 20% of all classes and all nighters were the rule and not the exception. Graduated in the top quartile of the class, and contrary to popular belief, retention of knowledge was not a problem for me.

Have my last final tomorrow and then I'm officially a vet student...too bad my offer is conditional on passing my organic II final, or I'd be much more excited! :scared:

Yeah that's all I was saying. Just cause it doesn't work for you doesn't mean it's "academic poison" for others. No need to judge others learning styles based on your (a general you) experience. I personally attended at best 20% of all classes and all nighters were the rule and not the exception. Graduated in the top quartile of the class, and contrary to popular belief, retention of knowledge was not a problem for me.

I hate you, lol. If I don't sleep enough I will literally have vertigo the whole next day. It's horrible, and does not go well with my type-A personality.

I like unpacking when I'm there....and buying new furniture....and then realizing I'm broke because I spent too much money on useless things at IKEA....:lame:

I can't wait to spend too much money at IKEA to furnish the new please hehe

I can't wait to spend too much money at IKEA to furnish the new please hehe
I'm moving to Lansing next week! It sucks that the only IKEA in Michigan is in Canton. I'll be raiding their store soon after getting there. :)

I'm glad all of us are on the same page. Already started shopping at IKEA...before moving....and bought this super cute mirror for 10 dollars?!?!?

myken-table-mirror-brown__33755_PE123739_S4.JPG

I'm moving to Lansing next week! It sucks that the only IKEA in Michigan is in Canton. I'll be raiding their store soon after getting there. :)

I went two weeks ago to find a place. It can't be more than an hour from Lansing? We passed it on our way there from Detroit, which didn't even take an hour. I cannot wait since the closest IKEA to my house is currently 2.5 hours away.

And how on earth can you hate IKEA? If you don't like their furniture at least go for the Swedish meatballs!

And how on earth can you hate IKEA? If you don't like their furniture at least go for the Swedish meatballs!
I hate the store layout and the crappy furniture and I don't eat meat so the meatballs aren't doing anything for me either! The last time I went in there with my mom and my sister to get bookshelves for my son. I finally found something that was marginally acceptable then we managed to find it in the maze of boxes and shelves. We tried to wheel the cart and out oversized load towards a sign that claimed the registers were in that direction, they weren't. We were so frustrated, we abandoned the cart and the box and ran out of there and vowed never to go back. I found a much better shelving unit at Home Depot that was twice as big and half the price.

I went two weeks ago to find a place. It can't be more than an hour from Lansing? We passed it on our way there from Detroit, which didn't even take an hour. I cannot wait since the closest IKEA to my house is currently 2.5 hours away.

Oh ok that's not too bad. Google maps said 1.5 hours when I looked it up but that's not always accurate. I'm going to the Miami IKEA tomorrow to pick up some small stuff and the big stuff will have to wait until I'm in Michigan. Ahhh I can't wait!

I hate the store layout and the crappy furniture and I don't eat meat so the meatballs aren't doing anything for me either! The last time I went in there with my mom and my sister to get bookshelves for my son. I finally found something that was marginally acceptable then we managed to find it in the maze of boxes and shelves. We tried to wheel the cart and out oversized load towards a sign that claimed the registers were in that direction, they weren't. We were so frustrated, we abandoned the cart and the box and ran out of there and vowed never to go back. I found a much better shelving unit at Home Depot that was twice as big and half the price.
I don't think people love IKEA for their layout (which I totally agree that it's horrible in some stores), but the one in Miami is pretty great. I personally like it because they have decent-looking furniture for a decent price. You can walk in with $500 and decorate/furnish an entire studio apartment. We all know it's basically disposable furniture, though. IKEA is definitely not for people that are looking for great quality furniture or for those that are picky.