Class of 2019...how ya doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh! I think I'm fairly distinct in many ways, so you should say hi in class. Are we FB friends yet?

It does help knowing other people feel this way too, but when my lab group is rattling off the names of every muscle, the origin/insertion/function and I'm still sitting there like "umm what muscle is that again?" I feel helpless. I think I actually need to go into the lab alone and spend some time going over everything. I keep reading and rereading the book, which helps, but I still feel miles behind.

Standing in the kitchen singing along to "hooked on a feeling" with my son right now is super helpful though!
I know it's hard, but it might help to not compare yourself to others. Some people like to see where they stand, but it also brings out a lot of inferior thoughts that are normally not true. Everyone learns at a different pace, so it's okay if you feel behind! (I feel like most of us last year always felt behind in anatomy as well, so you're not alone). Also keep in mind that everyone has different strength and weaknesses, so they may be good at anatomy, but may not be good at something else like physiology.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Dudes, I say this every year but the only people who ever make a big deal about anatomy are first years. Keep that in mind. It's like how the times table are oh so important to third graders, and how organic chemistry is oh so important to pre-vets/meds. You will never hear a vet student talk about how glad they are that they aced organic chem. Third/fourth years and clinicians mostly remember like 20% of musculoskeletal anatomy. It just doesn't matter. Just pass, and you shall be fine. If you are on the path of becoming a surgeon or anatomic pathologist, you shall learn it again when you have more of a foundation to help you make it stick. Do your best and if you do well, great. But there is no reason to kill yourself over it, or sacrifice learning in other classes over it. Like insertions and origins my ass. Sure, there are particular ones that are clinically important, but really, the insertion and origin of m. Gamelli... No one cares. The sooner you get over it, the sooner you will be happier. General info are much more important like which nerves innervate what groups of muscles, where their autonomous zones are, etc. Like that tells you what you'd expect in a dog that has a brachial plexus avulsion, and how to test for it.
I stopped by my old clinic after class today (because 2wk old GSD puppies!) and talked with the one Dr about anatomy. She said "yeah, anatomy is tough, and the best part is, you will forget most of it, and you don't even really need to know any of it. If you are reading about a surgery and it says 'transect this muscle at it's origin' and you don't know what it is, you just look it up!"

I stopped by my old clinic after class today (because 2wk old GSD puppies!) and talked with the one Dr about anatomy. She said "yeah, anatomy is tough, and the best part is, you will forget most of it, and you don't even really need to know any of it. If you are reading about a surgery and it says 'transect this muscle at it's origin' and you don't know what it is, you just look it up!"
My old boss used to try and quiz me on anatomy haha. She basically said we should spend about 50% of our time outside of class in the anatomy lab. I haven't gone in outside of class at all yet...

A good piece of advice I got is that it means absolutely nothing if you can spit out origins/insertions like nobody's business, but you HAVE to know what you're looking at overall. In my experience (undergrad too), the people who do flashcards to memorize origins/insertion can't actually point out the muscle when it comes to the practical or palpation quizzes. Or can't determine what muscle is pinned (because you can't dig around to get a good idea of where it's attached). We have a girl in my group who walked in acting like she knew everything (and she did know the origins/insertions), but when we quizzed each other, she got the muscles themselves completely backwards. Plus, you don't know that those students didn't just take anatomy in the spring and things are still fresh. I took anatomy 2 years ago and I'm saying "Oh, I remember that word!"

Members don't see this ad :)
My old boss used to try and quiz me on anatomy haha. She basically said we should spend about 50% of our time outside of class in the anatomy lab. I haven't gone in outside of class at all yet...
then you probably haven't had a test yet. Also, flashcards are good but you need to be able to ID. BOTH are important for tests, however.

I feel like the time you spend in lab outside of class is very person dependent, so I wouldn't worry if you don't feel like you need to go in extra just yet. I almost never went into anatomy lab outside of class fist semester, since I found the CSU website more helpful then digging through cadavers, and the time we got in class was sufficient for me personally. That being said, I spent almost every weekend in anatomy lab second semester despite more lab time, but I also tried to study landmarks and ID beforehand so that way I wasn't going to waste time in lab. Overall, you might have to experiment around and see what works for you- it's definitely not a "one size fits all" situation.

then you probably haven't had a test yet. Also, flashcards are good but you need to be able to ID. BOTH are important for tests, however.
First quiz is Friday! It's computerized though, so I'm not sure the extent of what we are expected to know. We are the first class to have quizzes, and to have our core course prior to our first rotation.
I feel like the time you spend in lab outside of class is very person dependent, so I wouldn't worry if you don't feel like you need to go in extra just yet. I almost never went into anatomy lab outside of class fist semester, since I found the CSU website more helpful then digging through cadavers, and the time we got in class was sufficient for me personally. That being said, I spent almost every weekend in anatomy lab second semester despite more lab time, but I also tried to study landmarks and ID beforehand so that way I wasn't going to waste time in lab. Overall, you might have to experiment around and see what works for you- it's definitely not a "one size fits all" situation.
Plus, I need to know all of the words before attempting to find the muscles themselves. I won't get points for writing "omotransversus" on the exam haha

Finished week 1 and I feel like I will almost certainly fail anatomy. Then I will fail everything else too, because I've been trying so hard to not fail anatomy.

I havent taken my first anatomy test, which is this Monday, but I will tell you what helps me juggle subjects. This may change with time but here is what works for me right now.

*take small bites frequently. Don't sit down for 4 hours straight every night with one subject. Instead try to focus on 2 subjects a night. Ex. Monday: anatomy and physio, Tuesday: histology and anatomy. Do a little anatomy every night. It will really help. And it doesnt have to be 2 hours per subject. Just study until you feel you need a break.

*For anatomy, learn the bones before you try to learn attachments and functions. I know that we learn what muscles look like in lab but going home and studying the bones really helps understand the functions of the muscles. Think of it like a building a house: bones (threshold), muscles (walls), attachments (interior), blood (energy), then nerves (lights). Each step makes the next step easier.

*In anatomy lab, try to take mental notes of where each muscle is and then go back in with your knowledge of bones and bridge the information. It will make it more bearable.

*Also don't try to change up your studying before you have actually confirmed that it doesn't work for you. If you had to read, take notes, draw pics, etc in undergrad do it at first. If that doesn't work for you, then change it up. Don't automatically assume that it doesnt work...trial and error is better than trying to prevent any mistakes.

You will be fine! Remember to take time off. All work and no play will drive you crazy!!

Also for anatomy check out Colorado CVM Virtual Anatomy Lab. ;) . You can literally review anatomy in your bed, 30 mins before you go to sleep. It is awesome.

Reactions: 1 users
We only just started, but I've found it helpful to go in and look at other groups' dogs/bone boxes. There has been some weird variation already, and it's been great being able to compare between animals.

Right now I'm coping with the same sleep-induced guilt I had in undergrad. I feel like I am light years behind everyone else. It doesn't help that I was looking at an old first quiz and honestly had no idea what nerves need to be blocked to numb the equine forelimb. And our first quiz is next Friday.

:scared:

I'm pretty sure we don't need to know nerves or vessels for our first quiz. Based on our syllabus, our first quiz should cover just muscles, bones, and joints

I'm pretty sure we don't need to know nerves or vessels for our first quiz. Based on our syllabus, our first quiz should cover just muscles, bones, and joints
Right but it's coming for our midterm in what...2-3 or so weeks?

Meh. I do surgery allllllll the time at work. I slice and dice through all sorts of anatomy that I couldn't name. Being able to look at something and say "that's the sacrocaudalis dorsalis lateralis" muscle is fine, but it's also something you can look up later. It doesn't really matter much what something is called until you have to write the report.

I wish we had spent more time on clinical anatomy and not physiological anatomy in vet school. It would have helped me a lot.

Meh. I do surgery allllllll the time at work. I slice and dice through all sorts of anatomy that I couldn't name. Being able to look at something and say "that's the sacrocaudalis dorsalis lateralis" muscle is fine, but it's also something you can look up later. It doesn't really matter much what something is called until you have to write the report.

I wish we had spent more time on clinical anatomy and not physiological anatomy in vet school. It would have helped me a lot.

This might be the combo of concussion/head cold fogging my brain so that I can't think, but what exactly do you mean by clinical anatomy?

Members don't see this ad :)
I like amputations because it's the one time I quiz myself on what muscles I'm chopping through. I could just as well do it without naming them though :p

This might be the combo of concussion/head cold fogging my brain so that I can't think, but what exactly do you mean by clinical anatomy?

I'm probably using the term inappropriately, because I'm not an academic. But anatomy at UMN was taught first year like most places, and it was largely focused on the typical "this is muscle X, this is nerve Y" etc.

Ok. So what? Who cares? When muscle X is damaged, what happens? When nerve Y is damaged, what happens? That's the stuff that matters. Not knowing what it's called. I always felt like the anatomy teaching fell short of being truly useful because it just kinda quit at the point of teaching you what somewhat was called and where it was located. At UMN they always talked about adding a third year "clinical anatomy" course that was focused on applying anatomic principles to clinical problems, and I thought then - and definitely feel now - that it would have been super useful.

I'm not really articulating it well, I guess. I just feel like anatomy teaching would do well if there were an 'applied' portion to it. At least, moreso than I got in school.

It doesn't really help me to know where the Iliopsoas group is. I need to be able to go to the next step and say ".... and when it's strained, this is what the injury clinically looks like, and this is how you palpate specifically for that injury." I feel like at UMN, at least, they fell short on getting you past just identifying where/what the muscle is.

I like amputations because it's the one time I quiz myself on what muscles I'm chopping through. I could just as well do it without naming them though :p

Truth. I've done repairs where I don't have the faintest clue what I'm repairing until after I'm done and I go look it up to write my surgery report. I mean, it's not that complicated. You attach the one broken bit to the other broken bit.

I've also had a doctor tell me that to an extent, when you surgically repair muscle injuries, you basically see hamburger meat and can't do too much identifying anyways....

Edit: But what if you attach a muscle to the wrong attachment point?

An example of clinical anatomy - popliteal sesamoid (sesamoid of the popliteus). Really unsuspecting uninteresting little nubbin that you really think wouldn't be that important during anatomy. But it is! It's commonly mistaken for a chip fracture (don't do it, it's embarrassing). And its location on rads is helpful in diagnosing cruciate ruptures.

Reactions: 2 users
An example of clinical anatomy - popliteal sesamoid (sesamoid of the popliteus). Really unsuspecting uninteresting little nubbin that you really think wouldn't be that important during anatomy. But it is! It's commonly mistaken for a chip fracture (don't do it, it's embarrassing). And its location on rads is helpful in diagnosing cruciate ruptures.
I ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!! So cool. Our anatomy book mentioned that specifically (and the clavicles of cats), and that many x-rays are misinterpreted because of them.

2-3 weeks to study for a vet school exam is like an eternity.
Yeah it's a long time, but we have maybe 1% of our material covered so far haha. I think everyone's behind in anatomy because our first lab was a whopping 20 minutes long.

I ACTUALLY KNOW WHAT YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT!!! So cool. Our anatomy book mentioned that specifically (and the clavicles of cats), and that many x-rays are misinterpreted because of them.
Don't worry, you'll forget by the time you're a 4th year. And you'll call it a chip fracture and the ortho peeps will sigh

Also- anconeal process. Totally boring, barely mentioned at all during dissections. You'd think it was a meaningless bit of bone. And then you get to clinical anatomy and "German shepherd anatomy" and that itty bitty little process takes on whole new meaning.

You stick to fixing trauma/trying to die cases, I'll handle the genetic/annoying but not fatal problems. Deal?

Deal!

<LIS makes a note to refer all year-long coughing emergencies to @cowgirla or @that redhead >

I dunno. I like what I'm doing a lot, but I don't know how sustainable the constantly-changing scheduling is. I could see myself doing this for a short term or long term ..... not really sure.

I'm probably using the term inappropriately, because I'm not an academic. But anatomy at UMN was taught first year like most places, and it was largely focused on the typical "this is muscle X, this is nerve Y" etc.

Ok. So what? Who cares? When muscle X is damaged, what happens? When nerve Y is damaged, what happens? That's the stuff that matters. Not knowing what it's called. I always felt like the anatomy teaching fell short of being truly useful because it just kinda quit at the point of teaching you what somewhat was called and where it was located. At UMN they always talked about adding a third year "clinical anatomy" course that was focused on applying anatomic principles to clinical problems, and I thought then - and definitely feel now - that it would have been super useful.

I'm not really articulating it well, I guess. I just feel like anatomy teaching would do well if there were an 'applied' portion to it. At least, moreso than I got in school.

It doesn't really help me to know where the Iliopsoas group is. I need to be able to go to the next step and say ".... and when it's strained, this is what the injury clinically looks like, and this is how you palpate specifically for that injury." I feel like at UMN, at least, they fell short on getting you past just identifying where/what the muscle is.

I see what you mean. We did get some random "cases" here and there of things during anatomy... like this is what radial nerve paralysis looks like, this is obturator paralysis in a cow. But it was few and far between. It would have definitely been nice to have had more reference to actual clinical things. Instead of just, "this is x and it does y".

Deal!

<LIS makes a note to refer all year-long coughing emergencies to @cowgirla or @that redhead >

I dunno. I like what I'm doing a lot, but I don't know how sustainable the constantly-changing scheduling is. I could see myself doing this for a short term or long term ..... not really sure.

Next panting cat I get is being sent straight to you. I'm having run of pleural effusion kitties lately and I hate them.

Our dissection book gives us examples of what may happen clinically if certain tendons, ligaments or muscles are damaged (I'm assuming it will also cover nerve and blood vessel damage later) and while I see how it could be helpful, it just doesn't mean anything to me right now. I have heard a few people say that a 3rd year anatomy review/clinical anatomy class would be helpful.

FWIW, OKstate does have a separate clinical anatomy course and it was amazing. Learned way more from it than I did from a whole year of dissections.

Deal!

:(
I'm sending someone all the cat oral cancer cases my new associate keeps finding. We're at 2 confirmed with a third possible. She's only been here 2 months

We only just started, but I've found it helpful to go in and look at other groups' dogs/bone boxes. There has been some weird variation already, and it's been great being able to compare between animals.
I was going to recommend this, especially because we were tested on all the class's cadavers and things can look surprisingly different.

I'm sending someone all the cat oral cancer cases my new associate keeps finding. We're at 2 confirmed with a third possible. She's only been here 2 months
Is oral cancer particularly common in cats? I saw a few cases while I was working and know a couple people personally whose cats had oral cancer as well.

See? And in vet school they said doing a thorough physical exam is a good thing. Way better practice to just wait until they're sick and then send them to the ER at 3AM.

Oh! I think I'm fairly distinct in many ways, so you should say hi in class. Are we FB friends yet?

It does help knowing other people feel this way too, but when my lab group is rattling off the names of every muscle, the origin/insertion/function and I'm still sitting there like "umm what muscle is that again?" I feel helpless. I think I actually need to go into the lab alone and spend some time going over everything. I keep reading and rereading the book, which helps, but I still feel miles behind.

Standing in the kitchen singing along to "hooked on a feeling" with my son right now is super helpful though!

This was me in our anatomy group. And then my group self imploded and it made things worse but I made it through it. I feel like I've learned more anatomy in clinics than I did in class because I can actually apply it to a disease and understand why it's important. I still no like maybe 5% of what I learned 1st year though.

I'm currently panicking as I'm about to leave for NBC and remember nothing about horses except colic --> laminitis --> death, but I'll make it through it. Feel free to PM if need to vent about things though. Anatomy was rough for me so I can relate.

I actually feel much better after reviewing the CSU anatomy site, but I still need to work more on the forelimb. All those flexors and extensors are complicated.

For the lateral side of the humerus (mostly extensors) I use Exs Cant Love Us to remember.

Exs-Extensor Carpi Radialis
Cant-Common Digital Extensor
Love-Lateral Digital Extensor
Us-Ulnaris Lateralis.

Hope this helps. I havent had one for thr flexors. :(

First exam down. The practical part was great!!! The written part was tricky because I didn't study the course pack. I will know better next time. I definitely passed though.

First day of class was a success! All I wanted to do when I got home was to palpate my dogs bones but finding anything through a pug's fat rolls is hard...

That's one thing I'll always love about the PBL curriculum here. Because of the focus on PBL, our curriculum is so integrated. When we learned the forelimb in anatomy, we had cases with muscle contracture, fractures, various lameness and joint disease; we tied in our clinical skills class as well as all of our different "ologies." I thought it was super helpful to have the "what happens when this muscle is damaged?" in parallel with "what is this muscle? what innervates it?"

That's one thing I'll always love about the PBL curriculum here. Because of the focus on PBL, our curriculum is so integrated. When we learned the forelimb in anatomy, we had cases with muscle contracture, fractures, various lameness and joint disease; we tied in our clinical skills class as well as all of our different "ologies." I thought it was super helpful to have the "what happens when this muscle is damaged?" in parallel with "what is this muscle? what innervates it?"
So basically you had your 'abnormal animal' year mixed in with your 'normal animal' year? I keep hearing that (at least for my curriculum), the first year is learning what should be there/what it should look like and do. Second year is when you learn about it all going to crap.

So basically you had your 'abnormal animal' year mixed in with your 'normal animal' year? I keep hearing that (at least for my curriculum), the first year is learning what should be there/what it should look like and do. Second year is when you learn about it all going to crap.
Yes. Our rotations consisted of only wellness checks during first year so that we learned what normal was but as far as classroom work it was mixed. What we were always told was to pursue the normal first and then learn what was abnormal. That's why most of us studied anatomy and phys on Mondays and then moved to pathology, parasitology, micro, etc, later on in the week.

We had curve balls thrown to us in second year, and we're still not sure if that was intentional or not. A diagnostic plan would be presented to us that would have something just bizarre on it, or a diagnosis would be reached in a strange (aka not possible) way and we would all gather and talk about it as a class. We wondered if that was a way to test our critical thinking skills or if faculty had just overlooked how deeply we'd interpret something or pigeon hole ourselves on one issue.

This week was overall pretty great. I had a few moments where I was feeling overwhelmed, but it was mostly my nerves getting the best of me. I was lucky enough to observe a really amazing fetal surgery on Wednesday (5 unborn puppies that had a defective aorta) and it gave me the motivation and energy to finish what was a very long week. My classmates must think I'm crazy because there were several times during the week where I got the "omg I'm actually sitting in vet school" feeling and I couldn't help but smiling randomly. I was super tired on Monday when I got home (may or may not have downed a few glasses of wine haha) but I can already feel myself getting used to the schedule.

@pinkpuppy9, cheer up. The first quiz/exam is always the hardest because you often don't know how the professor writes their exams. I'm sure you'll do much better next time. :)

This week was overall pretty great. I had a few moments where I was feeling overwhelmed, but it was mostly my nerves getting the best of me. I was lucky enough to observe a really amazing fetal surgery on Wednesday (5 unborn puppies that had a defective aorta) and it gave me the motivation and energy to finish what was a very long week. My classmates must think I'm crazy because there were several times during the week where I got the "omg I'm actually sitting in vet school" feeling and I couldn't help but smiling randomly. I was super tired on Monday when I got home (may or may not have downed a few glasses of wine haha) but I can already feel myself getting used to the schedule.

@pinkpuppy9, cheer up. The first quiz/exam is always the hardest because you often don't know how the professor writes their exams. I'm sure you'll do much better next time. :)
Thanks, friend! I didn't do as bad as I'm making myself feel like I did, but I definitely need to get my **** in order. It was only worth 2.5% too, so hopefully I can do better for the bigger parts of our grade.

I've been starting to have that whole "I finally made it" feeling, too.

I'm so jealous; I wish I saw that surgery! I'm glad you had a great first week. You get used to the schedule pretty fast, but I think you'll always be exhausted :p

Those of you with surface pros, what do you do with your surface pen while you're not using it? I'm dubious that the little adhesive pen holder will last a month. I've already accidentally pulled it off a few times just using it at home.

Those of you with surface pros, what do you do with your surface pen while you're not using it? I'm dubious that the little adhesive pen holder will last a month. I've already accidentally pulled it off a few times just using it at home.
Have you thought about getting a case cover for it? I have a leather one I use that has a sturdy pen holder on it. Otherwise I personally either put it in my lap during lecture or in my pencil case.