Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
On the other hand, many Cornell med students actually live in the Upper East Side projects :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What what!! Congrats @hellanutella!!!!!!!! Freaking amazing! One of my good friends goes to Hopkins, so if you'd like to talk to anyone from there let me know! Congrats!!!! :hardy:

Oh goodness gracious, you are the sweetest! Thank you for the offer and good luck with your upcoming decisions.

@hellanutella

One does not simply walk into Baltimordor.

Also: Baltimore, Murderland.

Ahaha Baltimordor! As a Tolkien nerd, that got a good chuckle out of me.

I've spent a majority of my youth in "rougher" urban areas (East LA, Detroit), which is why JHU is starting to appeal to me more and more. My coworkers lived around East Baltimore back in the 80-90s, when it was considerably more dangerous and the horror stories they would tell me had me hesitant for my visit. Honestly, East B-More was not that bad. JHU did a lot of work to overhaul the region in order to make their students/staff feel safer, though the area clearly is no La Jolla. The housing my hosts had in Baltimore was absolutely luxurious, though I didn't feel particularly safe catching my Uber at 4 am on their street corner.

On the other hand, it appears that many Cornell med students actually live in the Upper East Side projects :laugh:

Really? :laugh: I thought most Cornell students lived in the university housing. (Though I could see why some married/coupled students could be turned off by Olin Hall).

Perhaps this is an odd question, but I was recently accepted into med school and was wondering if there was anything that I should get for Christmas in preparation for med school?

Oooohh, good question. I was kind of hinting around to my friends about buying one of these puppies, seeing as it's the stereotypical "yay med school acceptance" present.... although I'm kind of worried as to what they'd get engraved on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oooohh, good question. I was kind of hinting around to my friends about buying one of these puppies, seeing as it's the stereotypical "yay med school acceptance" present.... although I'm kind of worried as to what they'd get engraved on it.
I got one of those for my 21st birthday, the winter after I became an EMT! My mom is a cardiologist so she was excited about it lol. My name is engraved on it :)

Reactions: 1 user
@hellanutella

One does not simply walk into Baltimordor.

Also: Baltimore, Murderland.
I live in the DC metropolitan area on the Maryland side, and let me tell you that NO Marylander likes Baltimore. They tolerate it, they like the crab cakes in the inner harbor, but they do. not. like. it.

The bad rep is well deserved, and I would advise you to be extremely diligent in researching your residential neighborhood should you choose to attend JHU (congrats on that, BTW!!).

The whole of B-more is the projects. You have been warned! :hungover:

The bad rep is well deserved, and I would advise you to be extremely diligent in researching your residential neighborhood should you choose to attend JHU (congrats on that, BTW!!).

Yeah obviously, one has to be diligent when choosing their housing, but if it were that horrible, JHU wouldn't exist in its current location. There's no way the entire area is a war zone considering that some of the best doctors and researchers in the world are at Hopkins.

Yeah obviously, one has to be diligent when choosing their housing, but if it were that horrible, JHU wouldn't exist in its current location. There's no way the entire area is a war zone considering that some of the best doctors and researchers in the world are at Hopkins.
It really is that bad, but JHU's immediate surroundings are ok in broad daylight. Thing is, it wasn't always that bad; Baltimore was a booming city that only fairly recently had gone to the dogs. JHU existed before the urban decline, so your reasoning doesnt work in this regard.

Is a stethoscope something you use as an M1? Or would I just have it for a couple of years before I use it (and start clinicals)?

Is a stethoscope something you use as an M1? Or would I just have it for a couple of years before I use it (and start clinicals)?

I think most schools have a course in the preclerkship year(s) in which you learn how to take a history and other basic skillls. So it would definitely be money well spent.

Congratulations on the acceptances!!

I think kthxbai is hangry :p

I honestly think that the harder adjustment is for people that aren't used to an urban environment. You learn to navigate it and tread carefully. I'm sure the current M1s will be a great resource in that regard, as will residents that work Cray hours

I clicked that link expecting to see actual puppies lol. Guess I should really learn to read the whole post
smiley-whacky078.gif

On another note this thread is a little quiet so I'm going to spam it with pics of animals who take pictures like people.

come-here-often-photo-u1.jpg

my-bus-is-late-again-photo-u1.jpg

i-m-going-to-need-to-file-for-an-extension-photo-u1.jpg

draw-me-leo-photo-u1.jpg

i-see-you-re-home-after-curfew-photo-u1.jpg

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I clicked that link expecting to see actual puppies lol. Guess I should really learn to read the whole post
smiley-whacky078.gif

On another note this thread is a little quiet so I'm going to spam it with pics of animals who take pictures like people.

come-here-often-photo-u1.jpg

my-bus-is-late-again-photo-u1.jpg

i-m-going-to-need-to-file-for-an-extension-photo-u1.jpg

draw-me-leo-photo-u1.jpg

i-see-you-re-home-after-curfew-photo-u1.jpg
Oh good. Glad it wasn't just me.

Reactions: 4 users
@No Limits @claduva94 I apologize for getting your hopes up.

28568812-puppy-shar-pei-with-a-stethoscope.jpg

So here's a picture of a puppy with a stethoscope. (I also can't get over how funny-looking Shar Peis are).

Reactions: 6 users
Oh my goodness. Just thinking about the fact that we will be using stethoscopes next year and learning how to examine patients and spending time in the clinic.... I'm SO EXCITED. It's easy to lose sight of the end goal when you're so focused on the process, but just taking a step back and saying, "I'm going to start learning how to be a doctor next year" is REALLY DARN COOL. Ahhhhhhh!!!! :) :) :) And I'm SO unbelievably stoked that y'all are going to be my colleagues and going through this amazing experience with me! I couldn't ask for a better group of people to be future healthcare professionals :biglove:

Reactions: 11 users
Oh my goodness. Just thinking about the fact that we will be using stethoscopes next year and learning how to examine patients and spending time in the clinic.... I'm SO EXCITED. It's easy to lose sight of the end goal when you're so focused on the process, but just taking a step back and saying, "I'm going to start learning how to be a doctor next year" is REALLY DARN COOL. Ahhhhhhh!!!! :) :) :) And I'm SO unbelievably stoked that y'all are going to be my colleagues and going through this amazing experience with me! I couldn't ask for a better group of people to be future healthcare professionals :biglove:

I had the same sentiment a few days ago haha. I was watching some surgeries on Youtube when a thought suddenly occurred to me: in approximately eight months, I’ll be the one that professors are actually teaching this stuff to, not just some crazy premed looking up stuff that wasn’t really meant for her to watch. Sure, they might not be teaching me about a craniotomy anytime in my first two years, but still, they’ll be teaching me. They’re going to do their best to ensure that I become a successful physician in the (far) future. They’ve chosen me, and that means that I have to live up to the expectations that they have of me. I have to take on the responsibility of training to become a physician, and when thing get tough and I want to quit, I have to remember that being a physician isn’t just about me getting a job. It’s about helping other people, people who in a few decades will depend on me.

Reactions: 9 users
this thread is so great lol. wish i had discovered it sooner in the application cycle to keep me sane :p

Reactions: 3 users
I am excited and scared at the same time. Lol so many changes

So are Duke and Stanford not receptive to update letters pre-interview invite? I recently drafted a letter for another school and figured I might as well send it to these 2 but couldn't find anything on whether or not they'd take it

Also congrats on all of the good news guys!!

So are Duke and Stanford not receptive to update letters pre-interview invite? I recently drafted a letter for another school and figured I might as well send it to these 2 but couldn't find anything on whether or not they'd take it

Stanford don't take preinterview updates unfortunately. :( good luck

Aww I had such a great pitch planned for them too :sorry: Oh well thank you!
FWIW I have a friend who sent them a post secondary letter of interest last year. A week later she got an interview. Two months later she was accepted. Could be a coincidence though.

FWIW I have a friend who sent them a post secondary letter of interest last year. A week later she got an interview. Two months later she was accepted. Could be a coincidence though.
It might have helped. Especially when no others did. FWIW I would not be at where I am today if I did only what I was supposed to do. :cigar:

Last edited:

Hmm interesting maybe I'll just send it. Nothing really to lose at this point.

I would send it anyway. Like you said, nothing to lose.

How am I supposed to judge that outfit with just the head in the picture?

I am confused. Who is this and why are they dressed like ET?

*Edit*
154535526.jpg
It's Carrie from Homeland. She covers her hair (which is customary) when she's in Pakistan, Afghanistan, or another Muslim country.
The most recent episode of Homeland was utterly amazing so I posted that pic.

It's Carrie from Homeland. She covers her hair (which is customary) when she's in Pakistan, Afghanistan, or another Muslim country.
The most recent episode of Homeland was utterly amazing so I posted that pic.
Ohhhh ok! I was like "Random person! yay!"
*edit* no offense meant by the ET comment. just didn't make the connection between outfit and religion... early morning woes

Last edited:
It's an excellent show! It should be at the top of your TV list ;)
Currently am watching through all episodes of gossip girl. :) Never seen it before.
I'm on season 1 episode 12.
When I finish I'll move on to a different series.

Reactions: 2 users
It's an excellent show! It should be at the top of your TV list ;)

+1
All my shows pretty much ended. :( Need to find something to do until others pick up in a few months.
I could continue my annual Christmas break LOST binge. :cigar:

I may have almost watched a full season of New Girl this week. No shame. And I've got a long list of stuff to watch after that! Hopefully I have self restraint with regards to Netflix once school starts up again.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone watch Marco Polo yet? Much better than I expected.
Binge watching seems to my go to stress reliever when waiting to hear back from schools since the semester ended...
Good thing I didn't use that as my answer to "how do you deal with stress" on interviews! :rofl:

And the wait continues :help:

Anyone watch Marco Polo yet? Much better than I expected.
Binge watching seems to my go to stress reliever when waiting to hear back from schools since the semester ended...
Good thing I didn't use that as my answer to "how do you deal with stress" on interviews! :rofl:

And the wait continues :help:
I'd be out of my mind without tv, movies, and video games...

I've personally been rewatching Parks and Rec and anxiously awaiting the Survivor finale!!

Reactions: 2 users
I'm gonna start watching that this week if it's on Netflix.

Parks & Rec? Oh it is :) I, as a person, am very well exemplified by both Leslie Knope and Hermione Granger. I think I've decided on the fact that I'm 25% Leslie, 75% Hermione.

Reactions: 5 users
I live in the DC metropolitan area on the Maryland side, and let me tell you that NO Marylander likes Baltimore. They tolerate it, they like the crab cakes in the inner harbor, but they do. not. like. it.

I apologize for randomly popping in this thread, but this is completely untrue! Let me guess, you're from MoCo? I've lived in bmore for my entire life and currently work here too. There are a lot of bad neighborhoods, but what about Fells Point, Canton, Bolton Hill, Guilford, Charles Village, Hampden, Federal Hill, etc.? Those are pretty much 100% occupied by yuppies.

Congratulations to the person who got into Hopkins - it's an amazing opportunity and you should be extremely proud. Like any city, you need to be street smart, don't walk alone in the wee hours of the morning, don't wave your cell phone around etc. But not ALL of Baltimore is the projects and some of us (myself included) love it. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Parks & Rec? Oh it is :) I, as a person, am very well exemplified by both Leslie Knope and Hermione Granger. I think I've decided on the fact that I'm 25% Leslie, 75% Hermione.
This is long overdue, but let's congratulate @Hermione L Knope MD. Ph.D on her recent acceptances!!!!
Cornell MSTP
Northwestern MSTP
Case MSTP
Perhaps she'll take a break from her transfiguration practice to greet us ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users

Can confirm this fact upon meeting @sunflower18. The drive and daring of a Gryffindor with the humility and caring of a Hufflepuff.

Important question: do you like waffles?

@sundancing thanks so much for the info! I've been researching Baltimore neighbourhoods lately. (Just spent this morning on the Bmore Craigslist haha). After living in LA, Baltimore rent looks so reasonable!

A lot of students mentioned that they lived in Canton, Fell's Point, and Mount Vernon. Can you comment on the vibe/quality of these neighbourhoods?

Can confirm this fact upon meeting @sunflower18. The drive and daring of a Gryffindor with the humility and caring of a Hufflepuff.

Important question: do you like waffles?

@sundancing thanks so much for the info! I've been researching Baltimore neighbourhoods lately. (Just spent this morning on the Bmore Craigslist haha). After living in LA, Baltimore rent looks so reasonable!

A lot of students mentioned that they lived in Canton, Fell's Point, and Mount Vernon. Can you comment on the vibe/quality of these neighbourhoods?
I think I know the least about Canton out of those 3 so I'll refrain from commenting on it.

Fell's Point is probably my favorite neighborhood in the city. In recent years, it's become very gentrified and there are a lot of young professionals living there. There are a lot of great restaurants and yoga studios if you're into that. Lots of good running paths by the water. Also, it's probably the best place for nightlife in the city. IIRC it should be the closest to the Hopkins East Baltimore campus - some parts may even be walkable. I think rent is reasonable unless you want to live in a waterfront apartment.

Mount Vernon is a great neighborhood too, especially for food. Lots of great restaurants...mmm. Not as much nightlife as Fell's Point or Canton. It's definitely very artsy and "hipster." It's close to the inner harbor but probably further away from Hopkins - however, the Peabody school (Hopkins's college of music) is in Mount Vernon so there should be a Hopkins shuttle in between the campuses.

I think I know the least about Canton out of those 3 so I'll refrain from commenting on it.

Fell's Point is probably my favorite neighborhood in the city. In recent years, it's become very gentrified and there are a lot of young professionals living there. There are a lot of great restaurants and yoga studios if you're into that. Lots of good running paths by the water. Also, it's probably the best place for nightlife in the city. IIRC it should be the closest to the Hopkins East Baltimore campus - some parts may even be walkable. I think rent is reasonable unless you want to live in a waterfront apartment.

Mount Vernon is a great neighborhood too, especially for food. Lots of great restaurants...mmm. Not as much nightlife as Fell's Point or Canton. It's definitely very artsy and "hipster." It's close to the inner harbor but probably further away from Hopkins - however, the Peabody school (Hopkins's college of music) is in Mount Vernon so there should be a Hopkins shuttle in between the campuses.

Thank you so much for all the information! It's greatly appreciated. :)

Never thought I'd be excited for a trip to Baltimore, but I'm utterly stoked for revisit.