Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wait, what? Is that list editable? I just listed them as I thought of them, not in any preferential order. Also, are we supposed to list schools that we are waitlisted at or have upcoming interviews at? I did just in case and so that they'd have my information, but now I'm not sure anymore.

Members don't see this ad.

Ahhh all your guys' talk about trips is making me so jealous again! I realllllllly want to go to Europe for a month or so (Greece would be amazing... would also love London, Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin, etc.), but it just seems so expensive and intimidating, and I don't want to do it by myself. I think I'm going to go to New York for a week in May, but I don't have any other plans as of yet.

Reactions: 1 user
Ahhh all your guys' talk about trips is making me so jealous again! I realllllllly want to go to Europe for a month or so (Greece would be amazing... would also love London, Paris, Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin, etc.), but it just seems so expensive and intimidating, and I don't want to do it by myself. I think I'm going to go to New York for a week in May, but I don't have any other plans as of yet.
I live in New York

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait, what? Is that list editable? I just listed them as I thought of them, not in any preferential order. Also, are we supposed to list schools that we are waitlisted at or have upcoming interviews at? I did just in case and so that they'd have my information, but now I'm not sure anymore.
The list is definitely editable. But like... what? That would be so petty! im listing schools based on when their app is due... not based on preference

The list is definitely editable. But like... what? That would be so petty! im listing schools based on when their app is due... not based on preference

Right?! It's so bizarre. Maybe I'll just do alphabetical order.

Via the FAFSA:
For federal student aid purposes, it does not matter in what order you list your selected schools. However, placing a school that participates in your state’s student grant programs first may help you obtain state grant aid. Check with your state grant agency for more information.
I saw this and put my state schools first... but I haven't heard of any state-specific grants for CA residents. :shrug:

I'm still confused as to whether or not I should file before or after I get my W-2s... filing a correction seems like a headache because I had two brand new jobs in 2014 and my only working parent recently switched jobs. Honestly, I think I'm just going to wait for the forms and file in Feb because I can't make a decent estimate.

Via the FAFSA:
I saw this and put my state schools first... but I haven't heard of any state-specific grants for CA residents. :shrug:

I'm still confused as to whether or not I should file before or after I get my W-2s... filing a correction seems like a headache because I had two brand new jobs in 2014 and my only working parent recently switched jobs. Honestly, I think I'm just going to wait for the forms and file in Feb because I can't make a decent estimate.

My income from last year will be nothing like my income from this year, so I'm definitely waiting for my W2s as well. Hopefully it'll all be okay.

My income from last year will be nothing like my income from this year, so I'm definitely waiting for my W2s as well. Hopefully it'll all be okay.
+1 I too am waiting for my W2s and then filing everything as soon as possible - hopefully by Feb 14th... then doing FAFSA as soon as that processes... which might make me right on time for my March 1st deadlines (So. EARLY.) but should be ample time for the majority of my schools.

Correct. Even as an undergraduate you could have filled out your own FAFSA. I would suggest submitting an estimate of you and your parents income taxes, then submitting a correction when taxes have been filed. That way you are "in line" to be considered for finaid at your school. You'll usually have to notify the school via-email once corrections are made. But yes, you should be filling out your form on your own. You can do that online at fafsa.ed.gov
I don't know if this is school-specific, but I did receive an email just today from a school where I've been accepted (emphasis theirs):
Do not complete your FAFSA with “estimated” tax information. Only complete the FAFSA after taxes are complete, preferably using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool. If you do mark “will file” on the FAFSA you will receive a notice telling you that you must return to the FAFSA website and correct your FAFSA once the tax forms have been completed. We will no longer accept a copy of the tax form and make the changes for you. This will delay process of your aid!
Edited to add: In case this is school-specific, this was Michigan.
Edited again to add: The email goes on to say that an exception to this is if you or your parents are filing for a tax extension, which means you are filing after April 15.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I don't know if this is school-specific, but I did receive an email just today from a school where I've been accepted (emphasis theirs):

I heard similar things from other schools at financial aid sessions. Most said to just wait until taxes were done...

Edited again to add: The email goes on to say that an exception to this is if you or your parents are filing for a tax extension, which means you are filing after April 15.
Boston University has a similar warning on their financial aid website.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys I haven't, nor am I really planning to, submit any update letters to any of my schools. Is that bad? I have done more research, created science lesson plans for kids (teaching them in the spring), tutored more, and that's about it. It doesn't seem substantial. But it seems like everyone else has submitted updates, so will I be looked down upon for not sending anything in?

Edit: Oh and a first author poster presentation

Last edited:
I heard similar things from other schools at financial aid sessions. Most said to just wait until taxes were done...

Well crap. My school didn't give us signs as to either way to go. I already submitted my FAFSA so hopefully if they have any problems they will let me know soon!

Guys I haven't, nor am I really planning to, submit any update letters to any of my schools. Is that bad? I have done more research, created science lesson plans for kids (teaching them in the spring), tutored more, and that's about it. It doesn't seem substantial. But it seems like everyone else has submitted updates, so will I be looked down upon for not sending anything in?

Yes, update! You have a 1st author something so yes. And other things as well. Heck, I'm gonna update schools after my Miami interview, and all I can do is "I've worked XXX hours as a scribe. It has become one of my most meaningful clinical experiences because blah blah blah. Also, I'm still heavily interested in your school because of *insert school-specific reasons here*.

I've submitted updates to the approximately 1/2 of my schools that seemed receptive. I did well GPA wise last semester, still like the school, and submitted a publication (3rd author) in Dec (don't know if it's accepted), and had a 1st author poster presentation in oct.

idk if it's enough, but I want to show continued interest, especially in top choices who haven't seen me since September

Yes, update! You have a 1st author something so yes. And other things as well. Heck, I'm gonna update schools after my Miami interview, and all I can do is "I've worked XXX hours as a scribe. It has become one of my most meaningful clinical experiences because blah blah blah. Also, I'm still heavily interested in your school because of *insert school-specific reasons here*.

I've submitted updates to the approximately 1/2 of my schools that seemed receptive. I did well GPA wise last semester, still like the school, and submitted a publication (3rd author) in Dec (don't know if it's accepted), and had a 1st author poster presentation in oct.

idk if it's enough, but I want to show continued interest, especially in top choices who haven't seen me since September

Okay... Maybe I will. Thanks guys! I just feel like I'll be making more work for them or wasting their time or something... I don't know! How did you determine whether or not the schools were receptive?

According to the school specific threads, @ProbablyAPenguin seems way more knowledgeable about which schools are receptive than I am (apparently it's useless to update UPitt/Duke post-interview), but I imagine it can't hurt even if you update a "non receptive" school ...

I don't have much to say (more business as usual) but I'm def sending an update/interest letter soon to the three schools that have given me some kind of deferral status ...again, I imagine it can't hurt.

Okay... Maybe I will. Thanks guys! I just feel like I'll be making more work for them or wasting their time or something... I don't know! How did you determine whether or not the schools were receptive?

Umm... Duke and Pitt told us it wouldn't matter. So I didn't send them one. I didn't send CCLCM one because I didn't know how. I'm working on my one to Mayo (But they kinda said to wait until you were waitlisted, I thought). And some schools rejected/accepted me. The rest got updates!

According to the school specific threads, @ProbablyAPenguin seems way more knowledgeable about which schools are receptive than I am (apparently it's useless to update UPitt/Duke post-interview), but I imagine it can't hurt even if you update a "non receptive" school ...

I don't have much to say (more business as usual) but I'm def sending an update/interest letter soon to the three schools that have given me some kind of deferral status ...again, I imagine it can't hurt.

My impression was that for schools like Duke, Pitt, and Mayo, your updates came more into play once you had been waitlisted. I dont want to seem annoying, so I'm waiting for decisions from those schools to update them. However, n=0 for this study, so umm... take it with a grain of salt....

So correct me if this sounds wrong about financial aid applications:

Most schools just require FAFSA + Need Access + mailing/emailed tax copies to the office.
Some schools don't use Need Access but might their own financial aid application portal (e.g. WashU)

NYU expressly states that it's OK to estimate on the FAFSA in order to meet their deadline (3/1 fyi)
WashU, however, says its a "requirement of Washington University" to use a "completed income tax return".

My parents and I won't be able to use actual tax info until early February. This is the first i've heard of rolling financial aid awards, though I doubt mid-february is "late" for this ...

edit: U Wash recommends February 15th as a FAFSA deadline so I'm gonna stick to that and maybe y'all should too.

Most schools just require FAFSA + Need Access + mailing/emailed tax copies to the office.
Some schools don't use Need Access but might their own financial aid application portal (e.g. WashU)

NYU expressly states that it's OK to estimate on the FAFSA in order to meet their deadline (3/1 fyi)
WashU, however, says its a "requirement of Washington University" to use a "completed income tax return".

My parents and I won't be able to use actual tax info until early February. This is the first i've heard of rolling financial aid awards, though I doubt mid-february is "late" for this ...

edit: U Wash recommends February 15th as a FAFSA deadline so I'm gonna stick to that and maybe y'all should too.

That is exactly my impression of the whole situation. I'm aiming for Feb 14th.

That's a good goal!! This will be my first single Valentine's Day in like, six years, so maybe I'll treat myself to a spa day dually as a reward for completing the FAFSA and to distract me from the hearts and flowers abound! :thumbup:

Reactions: 2 users
Valentine's Day? I thought Feb 14 was Singles Awareness Day.

Reactions: 5 users
Argh, Northwestern wants the FAFSA and Need Access by February 13. Hoping I get most of my info by the end of January so I can submit then.

Just realizing the need access is a different thing. Crap. Gotta get on that.

Edit: Is this just for specific schools or?

For those Wallflowers like the sometimes-despondent BengaliBrat, I have what may constitute encouragement. I was positive that the schools still silent had tacitly rejected me--and then got two invitations from two highly ranked schools--one yesterday and one today. Deluding myself that I will be accepted is more optimism than I am willing to wade into, but I'm grateful just to have been allowed to stick my toe into the pool. So, sdn friends, let's say I'm a chimney sweep. "Chim chimmeree, chim chimmeree, chim chim cheroo. . .good luck will rub off when I shakes hands with you." (Or blow me a kiss. . .coz that's lucky, too.) Wishing you all sootless good fortune!
  1. upload_2015-1-7_20-24-53.jpeg

Reactions: 5 users
For those Wallflowers like the sometimes-despondent BengaliBrat, I have what may constitute encouragement. I was positive that the schools still silent had tacitly rejected me--and then got two invitations from two highly ranked schools--one yesterday and one today. Deluding myself that I will be accepted is more optimism than I am willing to wade into, but I'm grateful just to have been allowed to stick my toe into the pool. So, sdn friends, let's say I'm a chimney sweep. "Chim chimmeree, chim chimmeree, chim chim cheroo. . .good luck will rub off when I shakes hands with you." (Or blow me a kiss. . .coz that's lucky, too.) Wishing you all sootless good fortune!
  1. View attachment 188302
Congratulations!!! Your journey continues!!!!
Stones.jpg

1. View attachment 188302

!!!! Congratulations!!! That's amazing!!!!

^^^THIS IS CORRECT SIR!
Haha every year I've had a crappy experience on Feb 14, so it's my 2nd least favorite day of the year. Also, I can't wait to leave this f***ing freezing cold STL weather tomorrow and visit warm sunny Miami!

Last edited:
UNC, you rejected me already. Stop telling me to complete my FAFSA. #autoemailsareannoying -_____-

Reactions: 2 users
But that's because of all the 'tourists'.
No it's not lol. Tourists are the least of our problems when it comes to reasons to not want to stay in NYC forever.

No it's not lol. Tourists are the least of our problems when it comes to reasons to not want to stay in NYC forever.
$$$$$$$$

Does anyone know if it is easy/simple to add schools to FAFSA after

Does anyone know if it's easy to resubmit FAFSA with updated tax return numbers, and then subsequently add schools that want only completed FAFSA info? For example, will they give me a hard time later if I want to complete and submit FAFSA using estimates right now for one school, then finish my FAFSA update later next month and add on a school that does have that requirement?

Does anyone know if it's easy to resubmit FAFSA with updated tax return numbers, and then subsequently add schools that want only completed FAFSA info? For example, will they give me a hard time later if I want to complete and submit FAFSA using estimates right now for one school, then finish my FAFSA update later next month and add on a school that does have that requirement?
You just add more schools on FAFSA and file a correction. You can file as many corrections as you want.

Guys, at every interview I've been to, students have said "med school reminds me of high school more than it does of college". Does that really mean what I think it means? High school social dynamics were pretty awful for me, but college was much better. I would have thought people would have matured in college . . .

Seeming as we are all discussing the FAFSA, I'll ask my questions.

1) For the school code, I was told to use the code for the undergrad program. Is this correct? I wasn't sure because the tuition is obviously dramatically different between the two.

2) How much financial aid/grants do most schools actually give? I go to a school that provides 100% of demonstrated need, and am not used to trying to estimate how much aid I will receive (I am not expecting much just because it is medical school and it seems like that is what normally happens).