Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea, that is just in the loans themselves. Which will probably increase slightly as tuition increases from year to year. I don't even want to know what the compounded total will be. Most of it is Stafford loans too, so I think they are almost 7% for grad/professional students?

Members don't see this ad.

You can refinance your loans after residency at least (to ~2% depending on income). Depending on specialty (neurosurgery comes to mind) you may be able to work 3 years in a public hospital and have all loans forgiven. This loophole is closing though.

I'm in Dublin. Just checked voicemail. I think i just got into Jefferson. I'm freaking the hell out.

Time to drink a stupid amount of Jameson.

Reactions: 31 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got you beat at 265k ;)

I always knew that it would be a lot, but for some reason thinking about owing anyone that much money is crazy. Especially thinking about trying to pay some of it off during residency.

Reactions: 1 users
I always knew that it would be a lot, but for some reason thinking about owing anyone that much money is crazy. Especially thinking about trying to pay some of it off during residency.

No kidding. Especially because I'm interested in academic medicine in a non-lucrative specialty.

I'm in Dublin. Just checked voicemail. I think i just got into Jefferson. I'm freaking the hell out.

WAT WAT WAT WAT OH MY GOOOOODDDDDD YESSSSS! Please report back when you're able to get in touch with them!

Got you beat at 265k ;)

You can crash in my closet for free? :(

Reactions: 5 users
Good grief, the wait for financial aid packages is almost as bad as some of the other parts of the application process. :nailbiting:

Reactions: 3 users
Good grief, the wait for financial aid packages is almost as bad as some of the other parts of the application process. :nailbiting:
Well, some schools don't release those until after April 30th, so...

Yea, as someone who goes to a school that gives more than generous amounts of financial aid, it was pretty depressing :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, currently trying to figure out which schools would be worth going into more debt... making my decisions so much tougher :( I definitely need to make one of those school decision threads soon. At least get some outside opinions.

WHHHAAAATTTTTT!!!! CONGRATS RTC!!!!!!!!!!! You rock, and to think, you get to celebrate in Europe!! :hardy::soexcited::highfive::heckyeah:

Reactions: 4 users
I called Jeff. One of the deans said I was in... I'm so overwhelmed.

I am currently drunk. I just ate fish and curry chips and I am happy as a clam.

Reactions: 25 users
I'm still waitlisted at Einstein and Umass.

Might send them both LOIs and see what happens.

I feel like I'm finally at a point where I'd be happy if my cycle abruptly ended right now though.

Guys I'm on a drunk soap box right now but I highly suggest you travel, especially with friends, before you head to school this fall.

It's amazing to explore the world with your favorite people and woooooo!

Reactions: 6 users
Well, some schools don't release those until after April 30th, so...
EVMS is the only school I know of that does this, but the vast majority of people get nothing anyway. I joked with my friend being a financial aid person at a school with minimal aid seems like the easiest job ever. Just link to federal loans.

EVMS is the only school I know of that does this, but the vast majority of people get nothing anyway. I joked with my friend being a financial aid person at a school with minimal aid seems like the easiest job ever. Just link to federal loans.
Miami and WVU don't either...

Yo, Nutella, I'm really happy for you; I'ma let you finish. But, regular PB is the best of all TIME.
e5db89caac3eaa53559eb9d5700a1e9c.jpg

Miami and WVU don't either...
I don't know about WVU but I meant more generally in that EVMS is the only school I know of that keeps you in the dark until after May 1. Miami has already given out all merit scholarships for ex.

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/sofi-raises-lowers-the-bar-again/ I've heard if you have a good income you can get it down to ~2-3%. PSLF (if it's around for us) might be a better bet depending if you're interested in academic medicine etc.

@amad01

I don't really get the PSLF, I need to read up on it more. After 10 years the remaining balance is forgiven, but wouldn't I pay it off in 10 years anyways?:bored: I guess it depends on your total debt vs income, which calculates a monthly payment plan, which may or may not leave anything remaining after 10 years. Sounds like something to just keep in the back of your head and check out once we make it to that stage.

I don't know about WVU but I meant more generally in that EVMS is the only school I know of that keeps you in the dark until after May 1. Miami has already given out all merit scholarships for ex.
And Miami only gives out merit scholarships before May 1st. All other financial aid packages won't be handed out until the summer. Also, in our fb group, @baxt1412 said UNMC doesn't give financial aid packages until late May. This is not an uncommon phenomenon, it seems.

I don't really get the PSLF, I need to read up on it more. After 10 years the remaining balance is forgiven, but wouldn't I pay it off in 10 years anyways?:bored: I guess it depends on your total debt vs income, which calculates a monthly payment plan, which may or may not leave anything remaining after 10 years. Sounds like something to just keep in the back of your head and check out once we make it to that stage.

PSLF is a vague program that says people working for universities/certain non profits (which most hospitals one would do residency/potentially practice are) will have their debts forgiven after 10 years. As an ex a neurosurgeon does 7 years residency and then 3 years at a hospital and his 800k of debt vanishes (say he went to Chicago illinious "90k a year" medical school).

As you can imagine it will likely be axed before it pays out once it hits the press neurosurgeons are having their loans paid off.

As for paying off your loans in 10 years, well it's possible if you don't go into primary care that's for sure. Otherwise it can be complicated. You can make small or large payments, it's just that if you aren't paying the interest the loans will spiral on you.

You can always postpone it until you get to that stage, but in the financial world it is comical how huge of an advantage planning is. Ex 10k a year for 5 years after your child is born would be enough to buy that kid a Ferrari upon graduation from college (or pay off his loans...you know, whatever works haha)

I urge anyone considering primary care to do loan calculations and see what is realistic. I've defermined that it simply isn't financially feasible for me to do so with my likely debt load, and the same may be true for you.

PSLF is set to be capped at 57.5k soon...which as we all know is a drop in the bucket. IBR's tax bomb can be 2/3 of the original principal (a 200k tax bill is really not something you want to wake up to one day) Etc. Etc. it can be done, but it requires shrewd planning. Unfortunately unless we all become neurosurgeons we will need to engage in financial planning to some degree in our lives...or pay off loans until we are 60 :p.

Reactions: 1 user
or pay off loans until we are 60
Or live frugally during residency and as an attending by spending below your means....then it won't matter what specialty you go into. Of course, going into a higher-paying specialty will quicken the process, but one isn't screwed just because they became a PCP with $300k+ debt.

Reactions: 2 users
And Miami only gives out merit scholarships before May 1st. All other financial aid packages won't be handed out until the summer. Also, in our fb group, @baxt1412 said UNMC doesn't give financial aid packages until late May. This is not an uncommon phenomenon, it seems.

You say that as if Miami has any other aid to give out! I'm joking, but not really...

In all honesty merit scholarships aren't there because they're happy you are so qualified. They're there to steer a 4.0/40 to a lower tier school, and they succeed in doing this occasionally. However if the aid is given out after May 1, then the applicant is already attending and it is not likely to be substantial (5k a year).

It's misleading to call it a financial aid package when in the vast majority of cases (especially at non top 20) it's just "take out a lot of loans from the government!"

I'm not complaining, it is what it is.

PSLF is a vague program that says people working for universities/certain non profits (which most hospitals one would do residency/potentially practice are) will have their debts forgiven after 10 years. As an ex a neurosurgeon does 7 years residency and then 3 years at a hospital and his 800k of debt vanishes (say he went to Chicago illinious "90k a year" medical school).

As you can imagine it will likely be axed before it pays out once it hits the press neurosurgeons are having their loans paid off.

As for paying off your loans in 10 years, well it's possible if you don't go into primary care that's for sure. Otherwise it can be complicated. You can make small or large payments, it's just that if you aren't paying the interest the loans will spiral on you.

You can always postpone it until you get to that stage, but in the financial world it is comical how huge of an advantage planning is. Ex 10k a year for 5 years after your child is born would be enough to buy that kid a Ferrari upon graduation from college (or pay off his loans...you know, whatever works haha)

I urge anyone considering primary care to do loan calculations and see what is realistic. I've defermined that it simply isn't financially feasible for me to do so with my likely debt load, and the same may be true for you.

PSLF is set to be capped at 57.5k soon...which as we all know is a drop in the bucket. IBR's tax bomb can be 2/3 of the original principal (a 200k tax bill is really not something you want to wake up to one day) Etc. Etc. it can be done, but it requires shrewd planning. Unfortunately unless we all become neurosurgeons we will need to engage in financial planning to some degree in our lives...or pay off loans until we are 60 :p.

Interesting, googled a little and since "they do not include payments made while your loans are in an in-school or grace status or in a deferment or forbearance period." That would mean you enter repayment during residency, and based on your low income as a resident your payments would be small for all those years. It would almost be more beneficial to do a lengthy residency... Would you have to stay at the same hospital for the remaining years or just immediately get a job at another public/non profit? Now I see the real deal, could save so much in the back end. Thank you for clarifying!

Or live frugally during residency and as an attending by spending below your means....then it won't matter what specialty you go into. Of course, going into a higher-paying specialty will quicken the process, but one isn't screwed just because they became a PCP with $300k+ debt.

Actually I would argue without repayment programs a 300k principal may be unworkable for a pediatrician to pay off while living a middle class lifestyle (50k post-taxes). 300k principal becomes 450k post residency which is 31k in yearly interest. 120k -state and federal taxes is 80k. So they would have 50k after paying just the interest to live off of. Now just try to buy a house, send a kid to college, buy a car, save for retirement...good times. That's why the specialty income gap is so massive. The. Discretionary income after paying off interest for many pcp will be 20k at most for pediatricians, while a surgeon might have 160k to chuck into an index fund etc.

Note I said pay off loans until you are 60 if you DON'T live like a resident after becoming an attending. If you're going into most specialties living like a resident as an attending is only necessary for a few years.

Most people say they will do it, very few follow through.

Interesting, googled a little and since "they do not include payments made while your loans are in an in-school or grace status or in a deferment or forbearance period." That would mean you enter repayment during residency, and based on your low income as a resident your payments would be small for all those years. It would almost be more beneficial to do a lengthy residency... Would you have to stay at the same hospital for the remaining years or just immediately get a job at another public/non profit? Now I see the real deal, could save so much in the back end. Thank you for clarifying!

It sort of is (hence neurosurgery comment) but more generally most hospitals would qualify. The spirit of the law is not to forgive loans to neurosurgeons though and as I said before 2017 (when first payments would go out) they're already looking at limiting it. It's possible that we will be able to sneak by though :).

In theory employment (as a resident or otherwise) at any qualifying organization (hospital, or some charities even) while making payments should suffice.

If I do get to benefit from PSLF I will take everything bad I said about cuts to residency programs and kiss Obama personally. I would be very surprised if it lasts, even for current people...we might be able to sneak by as grandfathered in but it's unclear.

Actually I would argue without repayment programs a 300k principal may be unworkable for a pediatrician to pay off while living a middle class lifestyle (50k post-taxes). 300k principal becomes 450k post residency which is 31k in yearly interest. 120k -state and federal taxes is 80k. So they would have 50k after paying just the interest to live off of. Now just try to buy a house, send a kid to college, buy a car, save for retirement...good times. That's why the specialty income gap is so massive. The. Discretionary income after paying off interest for many pcp will be 20k at most for pediatricians, while a surgeon might have 160k to chuck into an index fund etc.

Note I said pay off loans until you are 60 if you DON'T live like a resident after becoming an attending. If you're going into most specialties living like a resident as an attending is only necessary for a few years.

Most people say they will do it, very few follow through.
Your numbers are confusing me lol, but I get your point.

And Miami only gives out merit scholarships before May 1st. All other financial aid packages won't be handed out until the summer.
Miami office told me we would know in April... where do you get the info that it's in the summer? They are not the most organized of schools so it is totally possible they told us both different things.

Miami office told me we would know in April... where do you get the info that it's in the summer? They are not the most organized of schools so it is totally possible they told us both different things.
I read their financial aid website, and I believe a current Miami student posted in the Miami app thread that incoming M1's typically don't find out their whole aid package until orientation?

I read their financial aid website, and I believe a current Miami student posted in the Miami app thread that incoming M1's typically don't find out their whole aid package until orientation?
Yeah I remember something about that, but I thought it was you don't receive loans as in they don't hand you the dollas. If I don't know by april 30th it's like a gamble choosing a school... I don't expect anything anywhere but it's the "what if's"

Most people say they will do it, very few follow through
It is easy in your low 20's to say "I will just live like a resident 10 more years nbd" until you are in that spot in your thirties and all your peers have houses and established careers and families and spending money and they are like, "dude I thought you were a freakin doctor" and you're like :beat: getting beat by loans all day still driving the same honda civic from undergrad.

Your numbers are confusing me lol, but I get your point.

his numbers look right to me, except 300k and 120k are two extremes. And he calculated what appears to be ~6.7% int and a 6 year residency. (PV 450k, int 6.7, t 12, pmt 0, FV=481,000 which is the 31k/yr int. Then 300k at the same ~6.7% pv 300k, int 6.7, t 72, pmt 0, FV=448,000 post residency)

Most will fall somewhere between all of this, which is still terrifying. My goal is to stay under 200k in loans.

Yeah I remember something about that, but I thought it was you don't receive loans as in they don't hand you the dollas. If I don't know by april 30th it's like a gamble choosing a school... I don't expect anything anywhere but it's the "what if's"
I was told by the financial aid office that need based loans (not need based grants) weren't going to be decided on until closer to matriculation. I want to call back and double check that though ... mainly because I don't want it to be true :).

I was told by the financial aid office that need based loans (not need based grants) weren't going to be decided on until closer to matriculation. I want to call back and double check that though ... mainly because I don't want it to be true :).
That sounds more correct. Of course, I'm still waiting to get off the alternate list lololol. The waiting game sure does suck.

That sounds more correct. Of course, I'm still waiting to get off the alternate list lololol. The waiting game sure does suck.
You're waiting for a train... a train that'll take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't know for sure.... Yet it doesn't matter.... Now, tell me why?

You're waiting for a train... a train that'll take you far away. You know where you hope this train will take you, but you can't know for sure.... Yet it doesn't matter.... Now, tell me why?
Is that supposed to be from a movie or book or something? I'm still gonna wait just like thousands of other applicants across the country for the next 2 months.

"Because we'll be together." Phenomenal movie.

Also, PCPs have a lot of federal programs they could look into during medical school/post-medical school through the NHSC. I know that y'all probably know about the scholarship-for-service you can apply for while in school (and you can apply for it at any start of the MS years, in case you decide later to become a PCP), but they also offer loan repayment of up to 120k for working in an underserved area after residency. Obviously if your debt is around 300-400k range it's not going to totally cover it, but it will make a dent. I imagine there are other programs that help PCPs also since that is an area where more physicians are sorely needed, so the incentives are out there if you pursue them.

@ridethecliche, we have to get together for that scotch. You'll be close enough to me for a short drive. Seriously dude, hit me up when you're in the area.

Does anyone else feel like they are no more closer to knowing where they are living in a few months?

Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone else feel like they are no more closer to knowing where they are living in a few months?
If anything it has gotten harder. I can't believe that we have to decide in exactly 4 weeks, someone hold me!!:help:

Reactions: 6 users

It is easy in your low 20's to say "I will just live like a resident 10 more years nbd" until you are in that spot in your thirties and all your peers have houses and established careers and families and spending money and they are like, "dude I thought you were a freakin doctor" and you're like :beat: getting beat by loans all day still driving the same honda civic from undergrad.

his numbers look right to me, except 300k and 120k are two extremes. And he calculated what appears to be ~6.7% int and a 6 year residency. (PV 450k, int 6.7, t 12, pmt 0, FV=481,000 which is the 31k/yr int. Then 300k at the same ~6.7% pv 300k, int 6.7, t 72, pmt 0, FV=448,000 post residency)

Most will fall somewhere between all of this, which is still terrifying. My goal is to stay under 200k in loans.

Exactly, it's hard to save when everyone around you is living a middle class lifestyle.

My numbers were assuming 7% average interest and 4 year residency. So first year of loans is 1.07^8, last year of loans is 1.07^4 or 1.7 and 1.3 respectively. Average this out and you get ~1.5 as your multiplier for every year of loans. It's frustrating that interest accrues during medical school as well as residency.

I might say 120k is a bit of an extreme on pcp side, more like 150k. Pediatricians start at ~135k from what I recall, and doctors often make less in desirable locations (like NYC/bay area).

However I think 300k for specialty isn't that unreasonable. Emergency medicine isn't an extremely competitive specialty and 19% make 200-250k, 23% make 250k-300k, 17% make 300-350k and 13% make 350-400k. (http://www.medscape.com/features/slideshow/compensation/2013/emergencymedicine) If you use 150k then you end up having the 20k discretionary figure I mention later in my post. The main thing is that while a pcp is making say half what a specialist makes, specialists may end up having 4-8x the discretionary income.

Gut feeling I'll end up at Northwestern... but still making a final decision.