Class of 2019!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@prdv rooting for you!!!!!!!!
Thank you!!! :) I feel like no one will miss it if I get accepted off a waitlist. I will freak out. The wait has been excruciating. It doesn't help that I sit at work all day reading the forums haha

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you!!! :) I feel like no one will miss it if I get accepted off a waitlist. I will freak out. The wait has been excruciating. It doesn't help that I sit at work all day reading the forums haha

Good luck & stay positive!

Reactions: 5 users

I am guessing you are waiting to hear back from Miami? April 8 is right around the corner! Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Yup I pretty much do that too! Lol in between work calls of course

Reactions: 1 user
I think the reason I come to SDN so often is because I type in 'stud' to chrome to select the forums and I'm like... oh hey that's me!

Hashtag modest.

I think that your definition of bad parenting is incommensurable with mine given what I've seen in highschool. Might just be me though.
Same to you, good sir. Perhaps my worldview would have been different had I lived in a different town and gone to a different college.

I am guessing you are waiting to hear back from Miami? April 8 is right around the corner! Best of luck to you!
Lol yes I am! I'm so nervous. I really enjoyed Miami....if I do happen to get so lucky, I have been thinking about how moving across the nation sounds so exciting, but scary at the same time. Anyways, I don't want to speak too soon so we shall see...THANK YOU!

Yup I pretty much do that too! Lol in between work calls of course

I think the reason I come to SDN so often is because I type in 'stud' to chrome to select the forums and I'm like... oh hey that's me!

Hashtag modest.
Oh thank god I'm not the only one who does this lololol. And @prdv, good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
File Apr 03, 5 01 39 PM.jpeg
File Apr 03, 5 03 33 PM.jpeg
Back online after being away for a while. Tons of great discussion to catch up.

My friend was being thrown back and force between the departments within her medical insurances company for years for bill dating back 2012. I'm kind of well known for being a problem fixer, so today I spent sometime working on behave of her, figured out what caused the confusion, resolved it. And my friend is getting back over $10k as reimbursement. Then had to go catch the train to spend Easter in Upstate.

The foggy hudson view from the amtrak is surreal on this cloudy day. Slightly gloomy scenes appeal to me--born as a northerner, I am naturally inclined to like the new england landscape.

@prdv, I hope you get to experience that excitement and to have the good fortune of going to somewhere with a beach and sun. We'll be thinking of you!

According to my magic crystal ball at home, @ProbablyAPenguin will go to Penn with a full ride. Seriously logic dictates that this will happen: when Penn saw her acceptance list on which you not only have super name schools but you have super schools who like to hand out money. Penn will know that chances are Penguin is already showered with money and they'll just match.

Now let me join the parental contribution discussion. I've thought a lot about this lately prompted by the establishment of a confession FB page set up by friends at my own school, following UChicago and Stanford's food step I think, for the students to discuss related issue anonymously. family.https://www.facebook.com/columbiaclassconfessions

Reactions: 6 users
@breakintheroof, once you narrow it down to 2 schools, you should totally make an Aliens vs Terminator 2 thread and use it as an allegory.

SOM X
image.jpg

SOM Y
image.jpg

It'll make your final decision much easier. :)

Weighing in on the good parents vs. bad parents debate, I don't think my parents are bad for making stay at home and pay for school. And goodness gracious, I relate to @dechristine's story eerily well. At the time, 1) shelling out thousands would have made things rather uncomfortable for us and 2) my parents had a real culture clash with what college in the US is like vs. what they were used to. They were used to college being free and local. You lived at home, helped your family out, and maybe even got married. Their favourite quote is "You don't go to college to have fun. You go to college to learn." Taking out loans for me to go to some expensive school so I could make friends and study abroad and play inner-tube water polo and (hopefully) get an education was just not something they were used to.

I had poured my heart into my college apps, even netting Regents' scholarships at some of the UCs (gosh and I could have been a Triton with @hoihaie :( ) but even scrounging up that 10K in living expenses would have put my family in a really difficult situation. They probably would have had to whip up an addition 10K in caretaker/babysitter fees for my sibling, so by staying at home and helping out I effectively saved them (10K+10K)*4= 80K. Most importantly, parents are under NO obligation to pay for college. NONE. My parents paid for my first semester and I am so so so grateful for that. My college experience wasn't "fun," but eh that's life. This is by no stretch of the imagination some terrible injustice. I just feel so frickin' lucky to have got a college education... and to have the opportunity to continue it.

Fortunately, things worked themselves out during college. Little Nutella no longer requires supervision, nonworking parent's health is stable, working parent's job is stable, and Hella Nutella learned a crap ton about "not-getting-what-you-want," etc. Things are peachy and (again) I got so damn lucky. I can't believe things have worked out this well. To quote Jurassic Park: "Life finds a way."

The icing on the cake is that now my parents are in such a situation that they can contribute to my med school education, effectively paying back some of the money I "saved" them. I won't be dodging the loan bullet, but very few do. Every little bit helps and while my parents and I may not see eye-to-eye on a number of issues, I'm grateful for their support and believe they truly do want the best for me... even if that means not donating every extra dollar towards my dreams/education.

/endstorytime
Sorry, this is like one of my defining experiences in life I have a tendency to ramble about it haha.

Are you the Class of 2019 Paul the Octopus?

image-102179-galleryV9-lvaf.jpg

I would ask for a prediction, but I don't think I can hold up my end of the bargain by posting a School X vs. School Y thread for everyone's entertainment. I love reading them too, but I don't think I'll post one. I can't put my finger on why exactly, but I'm just not that open with my decision-making.

EL PULPO PAUL. May he rest in cephalopod paradise.

Reactions: 17 users
Members don't see this ad :)
culture clash
I will write a much more compelling response and fb message you when I have time, but this is what I've been struggling with all day apparently. I grew up around people who didn't think twice about spending the money for the "better" things in life, whether they were rich parents or kids of rich parents. Going to Wash U didn't help me expand my horizons as much as I thought it would; it was basically moving to the same kind of environment for me.

There are also parents who want the best for their children, but can't provide those luxuries.

I know, right? My single parent makes less than the yearly tuition at certain schools mentioned in this thread.

Reactions: 3 users
@Sirphillup Man... you're speaking my language right now. To put things into perspective, my EFC is 0. Even though my family could not support me financially, they supported me in every other way. It also makes me super appreciative of the fact that I have gotten this far...

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I will write a much more compelling response and fb message you when I have time, but this is what I've been struggling with all day apparently. I grew up around people who didn't think twice about spending the money for the "better" things in life, whether they were rich parents or kids of rich parents. Going to Wash U didn't help me expand my horizons as much as I thought it would; it was basically moving to the same kind of environment for me.

I think the reason people are so hyped up right now is because you seem to be operating under the assumption that most people can afford the "better things in life" but simply choose not to pay for them. A lot of the folk I studied with could never afford to pay 60 K a year, even in monthly installments. My parents couldn't either, not by a long shot, and my family isn't even poor by any stretch of the imagination. I know the definition of a "good parent" is relative and subjective but I think most people would agree that the things you have mentioned don't make someone a bad parent.

@Sirphillup Man... you're speaking my language right now. To put things perspective, my EFC is 0. Even though my family could not support me financially, they supported me in every other way. It also makes me super appreciative of the fact that I have gotten this far...

Haha, same language indeed. Mine was zero as well. I was raised by a grandparent and a single mother. Support for me looks less like what has been mentioned in this forum and more like what you have mentioned in your post. And you know what? I feel a million times the richer for it.

I think the reason people are so hyped up right now is because you seem to be operating under the assumption that most people can afford the "better things in life" but simply choose not to pay for them. A lot of the folk I studied with could never afford to pay 60 K a year, even in monthly installments. My parents couldn't either, not by a long shot, and my family isn't even poor by any stretch of the imagination. I know the definition of a "good parent" is relative and subjective but I think most people would agree that the things you have mentioned don't make someone a bad parent.
Okay, you're right. :shrug: My parents had very high expectations for me when I was growing up. They actively made the choice to forego being teachers (what they loved) and become small business owners (what pays better) to provide a better life for me. I just never gave much thought to what they were doing (because I assumed it was normal) until I got out of my high school bubble and went to my undergrad bubble, where I met many people way better off than me and lots of people who wouldn't be there without significant financial aid. It opened my eyes a bit, but obviously not enough, and I recognize that now.

I do not justify the increasing costs of higher education, however. It shouldn't be the case that most people have to take significant financial aid to go to college.

On the train overheard someone talking to the stranger sitting next to him about how much he wants to go to medical school, any medical school. We were all once in his shoes and now we are having such lucky decisions to make.

Reactions: 15 users
Reactions: 13 users
Thanks @No Limits

I feel so wuved. It's weird. Staaaappppp you gaizzz. Yer makin' me blush lads.

You deserve it!! How's Europe treating you? What's your latest adventure?

I got back last night!

I had an incredible time in London and Dublin (Londublin?) And stayed in Dublin during a day when friends went to the countryside since I wanted to explore more. The architecture in Dublin is amazing!

It was also super hard not to buy stuff since the exchange rate is so good right now. I'm saving for my trip this summer though!

I ended up buying 2 bottles of whiskey at duty free and paying for a few too many rounds in Ireland.

I'm really looking forward to solo traveling this summer. Just need to make a final list of where I'm going! It looks like I'll have less time than I thought though.

As a side note, does anyone suspect that lower ranked schools start earlier than those ranked higher to protect yield?

I got back last night!

I had an incredible time in London and Dublin (Londublin?) And stayed in Dublin during a day when friends went to the countryside since I wanted to explore more. The architecture in Dublin is amazing!

It was also super hard not to buy stuff since the exchange rate is so good right now. I'm saving for my trip this summer though!

I ended up buying 2 bottles of whiskey at duty free and paying for a few too many rounds in Ireland.

I'm really looking forward to solo traveling this summer. Just need to make a final list of where I'm going! It looks like I'll have less time than I thought though.

As a side note, does anyone suspect that lower ranked schools start earlier than those ranked higher to protect yield?

Woo! That's awesome! Yeah, the exchange rate is amazing. It was hard to not say "treat yoself!" to everything I came across. I'd love to see Dublin someday, and quite a bit of the rest of Ireland! So glad you had a good time -- and summer adventures to follow soon!

I'm a little disappointed by how early my schools' semesters begin. Yield might be a factor, although I don't know how drastic the difference in start dates is.

Those in NYU's 3 year MD pathway begin classes in the beginning of July! That's kind of ridiculous.

I got back last night!

My school starts mid-August. I am not going to a highly ranked school.

@Sirphillup Man... you're speaking my language right now. To put things into perspective, my EFC is 0. Even though my family could not support me financially, they supported me in every other way. It also makes me super appreciative of the fact that I have gotten this far...
will EFC of 0 help us? I am EFC 0 but my parents did well this year, although they never have and never will pay for my school :'(

Re: parents and education funding. I earned scholarships for most of college and I worked two jobs. My parents paid the difference in living expenses. I graduated without any debt and didn't realize the value of that until many years later.

Fast forward to now. My husband and I are badass parents. We are also modest. Our plan is to set aside funds for our son, but keep him in the dark. I want him to try to get scholarships and other funding for school. If he doesn't or can't, we will "come up" with the money. Why? He is going to feel like such a badass when he looks back and realizes he paid for all or part of his schooling. Like I do. I feel like a badass. Maybe because I am. ;)

will EFC of 0 help us? I am EFC 0 but my parents did well this year, although they never have and never will pay for my school :'(

Honestly, I can't speak for all schools. In terms of my school, I've been blessed to receive scholarships and loans that cover the entire COA.

My efc was like 15k because of my salary for this year, but Albany gave me NOTHING in terms of grants or support. Hopefully Jeff is better. Going to do the application this weekend.

Those in NYU's 3 year MD pathway begin classes in the beginning of July! That's kind of ridiculous.

No sympathy there. They did it to themselves!

Re: parents and education funding. I earned scholarships for most of college and I worked two jobs. My parents paid the difference in living expenses. I graduated without any debt and didn't realize the value of that until many years later.

Fast forward to now. My husband and I are badass parents. We are also modest. Our plan is to set aside funds for our son, but keep him in the dark. I want him to try to get scholarships and other funding for school. If he doesn't or can't, we will "come up" with the money. Why? He is going to feel like such a badass when he looks back and realizes he paid for all or part of his schooling. Like I do. I feel like a badass. Maybe because I am. ;)

Oooh I likes that! That is a great idea!

Med school - date that class begins (bold = higher ranked)
Duke - August 11th
Einstein - August 14th
EVMS - August 4th
Case Western - July 8th
Columbia - August 18th

Loyola - August 3rd
Mercer - August 17th
NYMC - August 3rd
NYU - August 17th
Penn State - July 21st
UCLA - August 3rd
UMiami - August 6th (MD only), June 22nd (MD/MPH)
UMichigan - August 7th
TCMC - August 10th
Tulane - August 3rd
Mizzou - August 3rd
UNC - August 1st
UVM - August 1st
UVA - July 31st (orientation, so class probably around August 3-4?)
Vandy - July 21st
Wash U - August 12th

Wayne State - August 3rd
WVU - August 13th

Courtesy of MSAR. I tried to include enough higher ranked and lower ranked schools. I don't think lower ranked schools are purposely trying to begin before higher ranked ones, but then again, I didn't list every single US MD school.

Wooh state schools! Received about 90% tuition + living on merit/STEM scholarships alone.

EDIT: Talking about undergrad... was responding to the expensive school vs not-so expensive school debate above.

Last edited:
Wooh state schools! Received about 90% tuition + living on merit/STEM scholarships alone.

Woo! Congrats! Was this their initial fin aid offer? I'm trying to decide whether it's worth asking my state schools for a larger scholarship, but of course I feel very awkward doing so and don't really have any bargaining power! Congrats again!! That's so incredible.

Med school - date that class begins (bold = higher ranked)
Duke - August 11th
Einstein - August 14th
EVMS - August 4th
Case Western - July 8th
Columbia - August 18th

Loyola - August 3rd
Mercer - August 17th
NYMC - August 3rd
NYU - August 17th
Penn State - July 21st
UCLA - August 3rd
UMiami - August 6th (MD only), June 22nd (MD/MPH)
UMichigan - August 7th
TCMC - August 10th
Tulane - August 3rd
Mizzou - August 3rd
UNC - August 1st
UVM - August 1st
UVA - July 31st (orientation, so class probably around August 3-4?)
Vandy - July 21st
Wash U - August 12th

Wayne State - August 3rd
WVU - August 13th

Courtesy of MSAR. I tried to include enough higher ranked and lower ranked schools. I don't think lower ranked schools are purposely trying to begin before higher ranked ones, but then again, I didn't list every single US MD school.
you didn't even put it in chronological order? ;):thumbup:

Honestly, I can't speak for all schools. In terms of my school, I've been blessed to receive scholarships and loans that cover the entire COA.
Don't schools usually offer loans in one form or another at least up to the cost of attendance?

How did you guys study for the MCAT? I will probably start studying in May (after the spring semester, during the summer semester) for either the last date in September or (hopefully) a date in January. The problem is that the 2016 schedule hasn't been released yet so I'm not sure if there will be January/February/March dates or only April-September dates like there were this year. I'm planning on taking a Princeton Review online class, mostly for 1) peace of mind, because I only want to do this once and I want to be confident 2) extrinsic motivation to study for 3 hours every day 3) actual review because I AP'd out of gen bio, gen chem, and gen physics, all classes which I took 3-5 years ago in high school. What do you think? I'm not excited about the $2100 price tag but I also don't want to fall into a habit of procrastination and I've heard very good things about the Hyperlearning workbooks and online practice.

How did you guys study for the MCAT? I will probably start studying in May (after the spring semester, during the summer semester) for either the last date in September or (hopefully) a date in January. The problem is that the 2016 schedule hasn't been released yet so I'm not sure if there will be January/February/March dates or only April-September dates like there were this year. I'm planning on taking a Princeton Review online class, mostly for 1) peace of mind, because I only want to do this once and I want to be confident 2) extrinsic motivation to study for 3 hours every day 3) actual review because I AP'd out of gen bio, gen chem, and gen physics, all classes which I took 3-5 years ago in high school. What do you think? I'm not excited about the $2100 price tag but I also don't want to fall into a habit of procrastination and I've heard very good things about the Hyperlearning workbooks and online practice.

I also took the TPR online class and thought it was helpful. Because I studied for the MCAT whiling taking classes from January to March, I knew the schedule that TPR provided would give me the motivation to study for the MCAT and not just focus on school. I found a promo code through my undergrad institution that saved me almost $1k. See if your school has something similar.

Confidence is definitely what you need when taking the MCAT!

I took TPR and really liked it. Having someone there to answer questions was super beneficial for me, especially since I hadn't taken half the pre-reqs. From my baseline to test day, I went up 6 points, so I consider that worth the money!

Take the course if you feel that it will help. I'm going with Kaplan for initial (science) content review (along with my textbooks) and I'll supplement later with TPR, EK, TBR, etc. And I'll use Anki to keep the material fresh :) For the verbal, I'm gonna use whatever's available including old MCATs. I'm hoping to have 3 AAMC practice exams to work with prior to taking the exam (sometime in 2016).

Good luck!! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

I studied on my own. I used EK books and a bunch of AAMC practice tests. And the self assessment.

make sure the instructors are of good quality before you pay them... My TPR physics instructor was crap and that was the category i needed help the most..

Holy ****...Case Western starts on July 8?!? I thought MY school (Vanderbilt) started early; our orientation starts on July 15.

Yeah, right? That was a pretty big turnoff for me haha I want to enjoy my last summer!

Holy ****...Case Western starts on July 8?!? I thought MY school (Vanderbilt) started early; our orientation starts on July 15.
Ha ha, on my spreadsheet for schools I'm looking at, I have a column for when orientation starts. I am telling myself, "Don't decide based on which starts latest, don't decide based on which starts latest..."

Reactions: 7 users
Ha ha, on my spreadsheet for schools I'm looking at, I have a column for when orientation starts. I am telling myself, "Don't decide based on which starts latest, don't decide based on which starts latest..."
Actually, on this topic, the other day I made a pros and cons list using only bad reasons I had floating around in my head. I had stuff like:

SOM X Pros: Has the latest start date; Grandma has heard of it
SOM X Cons: An acquaintance I find irritating goes there; I am not smart enough to do well there

It was an interesting exercise--kind of helpful to get all this stuff out!