Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm surprised but I haven't hit the character limit yet.

I don't even understand right now. I stopped and wrapped it up because I felt like I was hitting the limit but I didn't.

So now I get to go try and add some more and hope I don't spill over.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't even understand right now. I stopped and wrapped it up because I felt like I was hitting the limit but I didn't.

If you feel like your PS is complete, you don't have to hit that character limit.

Reactions: 4 users

Gwen's right. It's better to be under and have a really solid PS than to go to the limit and have to add fluff that doesn't contribute to anything.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's an awful lot of money to spend on something for no real reason. Do you want to be a vet tech if vet school doesn't work out? If not, why do it? In most areas you can get shadowing/work experience just fine without becoming a certified tech. I think it should definitely go on your app somewhere, although I don't know enough about the program to say where. But schools are going to want to know why you're going through the program, and "just because" isn't going to cut it. If the money isn't an issue and you want to expand your technical skills and have a backup plan in place, sure, go for it.

Not really sure why I decided to do it, just wanted to. I like to learn.

If you feel like your PS is complete, you don't have to hit that character limit.

Gwen's right. It's better to be under and have a really solid PS than to go to the limit and have to add fluff that doesn't contribute to anything.

I know that.

But the reason I didn't hit the character limit isn't because there was nothing more I could say that would add to the PS it was because I thought I was really close to the limit and needed to wrap it up right then.

It was a bad estimate on my part.

So experience and awards... I have a couple of things I'm not sure about including. Wondering if anyone has opinions?

Experiences that I'm unsure about:

Took care of a wild Chipmunk that I rescued from my dogs -- was instructed from the wildlife rehabilitatior who later came to pick him up. It wasn't much honestly. I kept him safe and over him food and water. So I'm not sure it actually matters. It was probably all of 4 hours because it was just overnight since it was too late for the rehab to pick him up.

Took care of a very ill Cockatoo for a week or so. Handfeeding and repositioning so she wouldn't get bedsores mainly. Had to euthanize her at the end sadly. Maybe 40 hrs.

There were also two separate surgeries that I shadowed at random hospitals where I did no other shadowing (because of location). Should I include these? Even though they were literally just one surgery each? I mean, one of them was complicated, took a while, and I actually did something because it was a c-section and I was managing the puppies once the surgery got messy. But the other one took about 2 hrs total and I just watched. Is this still relevant vet experience?

Awards I'm unsure about:

I was only thinking about academic awards and such but then I saw someone on the "successful applicants" thread list Best Junior Handler as an award.... I have this. Should I include it? If so, I assume I should also include the year I was a top ten junior handler in my breed club.

But when it comes to including dog awards, should I keep it restricted to my junior handling awards? Or do my other dog show awards become relevant too? Because I handled UKC top ten dogs for three consecutive years and I do have a best in show win but I'm doubtful that those really matter to anyone.

Anyways, in other news I sent out another request for an eLOR. I'm slow on this I know. I still don't know who I'm asking for the third one. Hoping to have made a decision and asked by the end of this month. I still have to order my transcripts too. I was kind of waiting until my summer classes were done. I probably don't have to though. I can, and I think I have to, send the summer ones straight to the school. Where is everyone else at?

Last edited:
So experience and awards... I have a couple of things I'm not sure about including. Wondering if anyone has opinions?

Took care of a wild Chipmunk that I rescued from my dog -- was instructed from the wildlife rehabilitation who late came to pick him up. It wasn't much honestly. I kept him safe and over him food and water. So I'm not sure it actually matters. It was probably all of 4 hours because it was just overnight since it was too late for the rehab to pick him up.

Took care of a very ill Cockatoo for a week or so. Handfeeding and repositioning so she wouldn't get bedsores mainly. Had to euthanize her at the end sadly. Maybe 40 hrs.

There were also two separate surgeries that I shadowed at random hospitals where I did no other shadowing (because of location). Should I include these? Even though they were literally just one surgery each? I mean, one of them was complicated, took a while, and I actually did something because it was a c-section and I was managing the puppies once the surgery got messy. But the other one took about 2 hrs total and I just watched. Is this still relevant vet experience?

Awards I'm unsure about:

I was only thinking about academic awards and such but then I saw someone on the "successful applicants" thread list Best Junior Handler as an award.... I have this. Should I include it? If so, I assume I should also include the year I was top ten junior handler in my breed club.

But when it comes to including dog awards, should I keep it restricted to my junior handling awards? Or do my other dog show awards become relevant too? Because I handle UKC top ten dogs for three consecutive years and I do have a best in show win but I'm doubtful that those really matter to anyone.

Anyways, in other news I sent out another request for an eLOR. I'm slow on this I know. I still don't know who I'm asking for the third one. Hoping to have made a decision and asked by the end of this month. I still have to order my transcripts too. I was kind of waiting until my summer classes were done. I probably don't have to though. I can, and I think I have to, send the summer ones straight to the school. Where is everyone else at?

I feel like you should include all of those awards even if they aren't academic. I'm not sure if the admission committee looks at those but hey, best case scenario it reflects positively on you, worst case scenario they ignore it, I'd definitely take that chance :) and I myself haven't sent any requests for eLOR yet.....I think I'll just ask all of them early next month :D

When I was filling out the rough draft of my PS, I thought it could be 5000 WORDS instead of characters. Whoops.

I did the exact same thing too. I was so disappointed because my 5,000 word PS was boss.

Took care of a wild Chipmunk that I rescued from my dog -- was instructed from the wildlife rehabilitation who late came to pick him up. It wasn't much honestly. I kept him safe and over him food and water. So I'm not sure it actually matters. It was probably all of 4 hours because it was just overnight since it was too late for the rehab to pick him up.

Awards I'm unsure about:

I was only thinking about academic awards and such but then I saw someone on the "successful applicants" thread list Best Junior Handler as an award.... I have this. Should I include it? If so, I assume I should also include the year I was top ten junior handler in my breed club.

But when it comes to including dog awards, should I keep it restricted to my junior handling awards? Or do my other dog show awards become relevant too? Because I handle UKC top ten dogs for three consecutive years and I do have a best in show win but I'm doubtful that those really matter to anyone.

I would add any and all experience you have, even if it is just 2 hours. In the end, schools will decide whether or not to consider "worthy". By not putting it down, you aren't showing it to them when they could potentially consider it super cool. It wouldn't hurt to add, so why not? I'm putting down that I shadowed a lab animal vet for four hours.

As far as awards, I would also put all major awards you won. I showed horses and in my application, I put down all the championships I won, when I was "state academy champion", and little nitty gritty things. The way I look at it, I worked danged hard to get those ribbons and it would be a shame to not share that experience in hopes of furthering my dream of being a vet. Plus, if the horse I was riding was a human, she would slap me upside the head for not adding them ;).

Questions of my own: does anyone know the mean or average GREs for Penn and Mizzou? I am making my short list and I didn't find any on their websites.

Took care of a wild Chipmunk that I rescued from my dogs -- was instructed from the wildlife rehabilitatior who later came to pick him up. It wasn't much honestly. I kept him safe and over him food and water. So I'm not sure it actually matters. It was probably all of 4 hours because it was just overnight since it was too late for the rehab to pick him up.

Awards I'm unsure about:

I was only thinking about academic awards and such but then I saw someone on the "successful applicants" thread list Best Junior Handler as an award.... I have this. Should I include it? If so, I assume I should also include the year I was a top ten junior handler in my breed club.

But when it comes to including dog awards, should I keep it restricted to my junior handling awards? Or do my other dog show awards become relevant too? Because I handled UKC top ten dogs for three consecutive years and I do have a best in show win but I'm doubtful that those really matter to anyone.

Add everything :) worst case they ignore it, best case they think it's interesting and it helps your app stand out. You want to give the adcoms as complete a picture of yourself as possible.

Another vote for "add everything." That's the advice I got from the admissions counselor at VA-MD. It feels weird putting all this stuff from high school on there, especially since basically none of it was not related in any way to vet med, but at the end of the day, if they don't think it's relevant, they won't bother reading it. If they do think it matters, it'll be there for them to consider.

She had also mentioned that we could count research work done in the context of a class under research experiences, which I wouldn't have thought to do. I'm sure you could always double-check with the schools you're applying to if it's bothering you.

Thanks for the response! I hope by the time I get somewhere close to a final draft I won't be worrying about this, but I never expected 4500 characters to go by so quickly.

Getting under the limit was really hard for me too. Some of the things I did that were helpful:

- Look for any phrases that you can replace with a single word, like replacing "it is clear that" with "clearly" or "due to the fact that" with "because" and so on.

- Get rid of adverbs like "truly", "definitely", "really", etc.

- Get rid of any repetitious phrases like "off of".

- Avoid passive voice. Usually this is indicated by the use of "was" or "were" in a statement. For example, a passive statement would be "The kittens were fed by me every four hours" (43 characters). This same sentence in an active voice would be "I fed the kittens every four hours" (34 characters).

- Try and get rid of "this is", "there are", and "it is" at the beginning of your sentences. Usually they aren't necessary.

- Remove phrases like "I think that" and "in my opinion". Since it's a personal statement, this is a given.

I also only put one space after periods instead of two, because I was just shy of the limit and couldn't find another word to cut.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Getting under the limit was really hard for me too. Some of the things I did that were helpful:

- Look for any phrases that you can replace with a single word, like replacing "it is clear that" with "clearly" or "due to the fact that" with "because" and so on.

- Get rid of adverbs like "truly", "definitely", "really", etc.

- Get rid of any repetitious phrases like "off of".

- Avoid passive voice. Usually this is indicated by the use of "was" or "were" in a statement. For example, a passive statement would be "The kittens were fed by me every four hours" (43 characters). This same sentence in an active voice would be "I fed the kittens every four hours" (34 characters).

- Try and get rid of this is, there are, and it is at the beginning of your sentences. Usually they aren't necessary.

- Remove phrases like "I think that" and "in my opinion". Since it's a personal statement, this is a given.

I also only put one space after periods instead of two, because I was just shy of the limit and couldn't find another word to cut.

Awesome advice, thank you!

I especially like that last bit. I'm a double-spacer to the death, but when every character counts, goodbye principles.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm applying this cycle as well! Applying to ISU, Illinois, Minnesota, K State, and Washington.

Do our experiences on the VMCAS have to be in chronological order? Most recent first, or oldest first?

Thanks!

Siiiiiiiiiiigh.

One space after periods is proper.

Not two. Not two, ever.

:(

Reactions: 10 users
I'm applying this cycle as well! Applying to ISU, Illinois, Minnesota, K State, and Washington.

Do our experiences on the VMCAS have to be in chronological order? Most recent first, or oldest first?

I believe the experiences do have to be most recent to least recent. I'm not 100 percent sure because I am doing my experiences last because of a potential research project this summer. And yay for K-State! I'm also thinking about Illinois, Minnesota, and Washington, but waiting for some e-mails before I make a final decision.

Reactions: 1 user
Woohoo, my professor agreed to write a letter.

I swear I almost threw up though when I saw the response in my inbox... for some reason I'm terrified everyone is going to shoot me down. Like, nope, secretly we all thought you would be a terrible vet and just encouraged you for kicks. It's ridiculous, I know.

Anyways now I just need the one more.

And GRE is coming up for me as soon as my classes are done. Working on reminding myself that I do in fact know how to do math.
I did okay on my first practice test, but I'd like to do better.
In hindsight, I should have been working on my test skills for the past three/four years so that this would be a cake walk... but I didn't start actually thinking about the GRE until about 8 months ago. Oh well.

I am planning on retaking my GRE this summer. What's the latest should I dare to do it? I was thinking really early August.. or is that pushing it.. I was just wanting to give myself the biggest time frame as possible to study but I am also taking a summer course that is a pre req. So, input is welcome!

I am planning on retaking my GRE this summer. What's the latest should I dare to do it? I was thinking really early August.. or is that pushing it.. I was just wanting to give myself the biggest time frame as possible to study but I am also taking a summer course that is a pre req. So, input is welcome!

Michigan (the only school I know crap about) doesn't actually require the GRE be taken until September 30.

I would check the schools you're applying to, but since the quantitative and verbal scores are the ones they usually care about and those are pretty immediate with the computer test plus they get sent to the schools I think you can push it pretty far technically speaking.

Clearly I would not recommend pushing it into September but early August is doable... especially since you at least have GRE scores right now.

I don't have any, so I'm not pushing my first take any further than mid-June, which gives me cushion for a retake if necessary.

Amen. Even when I worked in the news biz - years ago - we had already gotten rid of that old physical typesetting hold-over.
Haha... It was two when I was in grade school and magically turned to one by the time I was in high school. I didn't realize that had to do with typewriters.

I'm just shy of 30 but actually learned to type on an electric typewriter, which I had to use for all of my elementary school book reports and whatnot. In school, we had typing lessons on old school Macs, and every teacher insisted on double-spacing. By the time I got to high school, it may have changed, but for my teachers, double-spacing was still standard, and my one hardass history teacher would deduct points if you didn't exactly match her typographical requirements. Had to be Times 12 pt, 1" margins, double-spaced paragraphs, double-space after periods. Call it shell shock, indoctrination, or resistance to change, but I can't break the habit. GIVE ME DOUBLE SPACE OR GIVE ME DEATH.

Reactions: 3 users
I remember being taught to double space after periods...I think I just refused to do it so it never became a habit I had to break.
For some reason they drilled it into us as elementary students that we have to double space after periods... so unfortunately it's a habit that is weirdly hard to break. (Maybe because I don't really think when I think anymore and just go on muscle memory? Who knows).

Yeah, we were taught to always do two spaces after periods. I had a hard time trying to break it at first, but now I don't even think twice about it, just use one space.

@LyraGardenia, you have no idea how much I appreciate you also being a 3rd time out person. I also graduated high school in 2010, undergrad in 2014, and is going for 2020. It makes me feel less alone in this wide open world. lol.
Shoot I graduated High School in 09, college in 14 and will be shooting for 2021 for vet school. You wonderful people are making me feel so much better!

I guess us grouchy old people have a hard time with change. Oh well, maybe it will help some other old timers.

I took it in early September the first time I applied. At the time two of the three schools I was applying to had December/January deadlines for scores, so the GRE was low on my priority list, but then I decided to apply to a school with an October 1st deadline, so I had to squeeze it in. Luckily my scores were good enough that I didn't feel the need to retake it. Also it means my scores are still within the two-year cutoff for schools I'm applying to now!

I was always taught to double space after periods...... This thread is the first I have ever heard of not double spacing after periods.

Reactions: 1 users
So you can still double space if you want. But then do a replace in your word processor. If you do a find " " and replace with " " you can quickly correct it if you cant break the habit

I was always taught to double space after periods...... This thread is the first I have ever heard of not double spacing after periods.

This is the first I've heard of this mysterious double space after periods thing o_O

Oh, the consistency of the school systems in our country. lol.

I need opinions. In my animal nutrition class, we took field trips to a dairy farm and a swine farm for a couple of our labs. I had very little exposure to the world of dairy farms or swine farms prior to this, and really feel like I learned a lot from these experiences. However, these experiences are only ~2 hours each, so I would be listing a grand total of 4 hours for them collectively. Would it be frowned upon if I listed them on VMCAS as an animal experience? Thoughts?

I need opinions. In my animal nutrition class, we took field trips to a dairy farm and a swine farm for a couple of our labs. I had very little exposure to the world of dairy farms or swine farms prior to this, and really feel like I learned a lot from these experiences. However, these experiences are only ~2 hours each, so I would be listing a grand total of 4 hours for them collectively. Would it be frowned upon if I listed them on VMCAS as an animal experience? Thoughts?
Typically VMCAS will tell you not to list class experiences under any of the other experience categories. I have heard of the schools feeling differently about it though, so I think you might have to ask them directly.

I'm adding four hours of shadowing a lab animal vet. But I agree with WZ. VMCAS has consistently said not to list anything done for credit as any sort of experience.

Even though last year in their drop-down bar for experiences, classroom experience was an option :rolleyes:
(And to be honest, I added classroom experience from my repro management course)

Even though last year in their drop-down bar for experiences, classroom experience was an option :rolleyes:
(And to be honest, I added classroom experience from my repro management course)
Yeah I remember someone asking about that and they were like "Oh um err that's not supposed to be there"

Yeah I remember someone asking about that and they were like "Oh um err that's not supposed to be there"
Yeah, it was quality experience that is relevant to my goals/why I want to be a vet. No way I wasn't going to mention it. If schools don't care, they don't look. :shrug:

That's really odd because the VMCAS guidelines for "animal experience" says you can "Include all relevant experiences, whether they are voluntary, paid, or academic experiences." Unless I'm interpreting "academic experiences" too broadly.

Of course, that doesn't mean that individual schools won't have their own guidelines about what "counts" and what doesn't. At least for the school I applied to, class/lab related experience (as long as it was directly with the animals) was considered acceptable.

That's really odd because the VMCAS guidelines for "animal experience" says you can "Include all relevant experiences, whether they are voluntary, paid, or academic experiences." Unless I'm interpreting "academic experiences" too broadly.

Of course, that doesn't mean that individual schools won't have their own guidelines about what "counts" and what doesn't. At least for the school I applied to, class/lab related experience (as long as it was directly with the animals) was considered acceptable.
They very well could have changed things this year.

Hmm, interesting. I'll do a little more digging and see what I can find. Thanks guys!

Anyone else applying to Davis? Just checked their application requirements on their website again and they still have the ETS PPI listed, even though it is being discontinued July 1st? Do I need to scramble to get an ETS evaluation from my evaluators before it is discontinued, or is this out of date info?

Anyone else applying to Davis? Just checked their application requirements on their website again and they still have the ETS PPI listed, even though it is being discontinued July 1st? Do I need to scramble to get an ETS evaluation from my evaluators before it is discontinued, or is this out of date info?

Colorado is still requiring the PPI as wel this year as well, so I would start a PPI account just in case.. I haven't seen that the PPI is being discontinued except on here.

Edit: PPI website says July 2016

Edit: PPI website says July 2016

giphy.gif

My apologies. Thank you.

I love the Panda gif. :)