Class of 2020 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UGA, UTK, Cornell, Missouri, Mississippi State, and Auburn.

My first time applying.

My GPA is awesome, my GRE is sad. Here's to blind luck at getting in??

Members don't see this ad.

My first time applying.

I wouldn't worry If I were you.
I had a great GPA, less than stellar GRE scores, and I still got into schools. It's really all a shot in the dark with some schools. I would stay positive because you never know :)
I would look into schools that weight the GRE less than GPA.

I wouldn't worry If I were you.
I had a great GPA, less than stellar GRE scores, and I still got into schools. It's really all a shot in the dark with some schools. I would stay positive because you never know :)
I would look into schools that weight the GRE less than GPA.

TOTALLY! UGA is my top school, and they say they want either at least a 3.6 GPA or a GRE of 308 or higher.
So I'll give them a good GPA because my GRE scores are awful, even though I've been putting my heart and soul into studying for it. :'(

Members don't see this ad :)
TOTALLY! UGA is my top school, and they say they want either at least a 3.6 GPA or a GRE of 308 or higher.
So I'll give them a good GPA because my GRE scores are awful, even though I've been putting my heart and soul into studying for it. :'(
Yeah I understand your pain. I'm not the best standardized test taker, but I didn't let that stop me. I struggled with the verbal section(mostly the vocabulary word) as I do not have enriched vocabulary but managed to do reasonable.
The math section is just recognizing the style of the question and the subsequent rules that go along with the problem.
Just try to get some time in each day doing a few problems as this will help you more than you realize. Have you heard of Powerprep2? they give you sections of actual old GRE's to take for you to practice with real questions!

Yeah I understand your pain. I'm not the best standardized test taker, but I didn't let that stop me. I struggled with the verbal section(mostly the vocabulary word) as I do not have enriched vocabulary but managed to do reasonable.
The math section is just recognizing the style of the question and the subsequent rules that go along with the problem.
Just try to get some time in each day doing a few problems as this will help you more than you realize. Have you heard of Powerprep2? they give you sections of actual old GRE's to take for you to practice with real questions!

Thank you for the support! I've been trying to put in a few hours each day; for a while I was focusing just on the quant section because math is a real painful struggle for me, but now I'm working on the verbal section and I'm realize how small my vocabulary has gotten since high school English class haha! The questions themselves (from either section) aren't really difficult when you run through the explanations; it's just sorting through all the wrong ones and then choosing between two that (in my opinion) could be equally correct.

But I guess that's the same thing as higher-level exams in grad school; except that material is actually important and interesting...

Hello! Im a first time applicant applying to UGA, Virginia-Maryland, UC Davis, Iowa, Mississippi, Auburn, Cornell, NC State, and possibly Texas A&M.
Virginia-Maryland would be in-state for me, however I did visit UGA's new hospital and almost cried because it was so wonderful :laugh:.
Anyone else applying to those schools or interested in equine medicine?

My first time applying.

Definitely not blind luck!! I was in the same boat (my GREs were unimpressive to say the least) and I got accepted :)

A stellar GPA shows that you have a brain and lends to the possibility that you may just not be a great standardized test taker. So don't lose hope! You might want to consider applying to Florida. This past year at my interview, they told us they lowered the weight of the GRE from 50% to 25%. I actually purchased a groupon for an online BenchPrep GRE course before I knew I was accepted. I'd love to donate it to a good cause since I won't be needing it anymore. If you're interested, just message me.

My first time applying.

Good choice in applying to Missouri! They weigh your GRE at something like 4%, I believe.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if leadership positions in school clubs are "Honors" or "Extra Curricular Activities" ?

Does anyone know if leadership positions in school clubs are "Honors" or "Extra Curricular Activities" ?
I would consider them extracurricular activities - in my mind honors are things like Dean's List or awards or whatever. It's probably not a huge deal either way though.

Now I know the pain and worry that comes with a really, really quick eLOR submission. I only sent this guy the information he asked for (resume/ps draft) and put him into VMCAS last night and bam! It's already completed. I know there is no point in worrying about it, but it still stresses me out big time.

Still need to grab the email from my vet so I can put her in.

Annnd I'm still stuck on this last eLOR.
I've only worked long term with one vet and the professor I asked is probably the only one who saw enough of me during class to write something substantial.
I have other professors and vets that I could technically ask, but I feel like their letters would be nothing more than perfunctory. And I don't want that.

But outside of professors and vets I'm not sure what kind of people can write me eLORs so I'm not sure where to go from here.
Michigan's only required letter is from a vet I've worked with so I have that one nailed down. Blahhh.

I agree, I would consider that an extracurricular.

My first time applying.

I'm not sure how much these schools actually weigh the GRE, but I did get accepted into UTK and UGA as an OOS student with a 153 v and 150 q score. So, it's possible! :) I'm sure other factors of my application helped a lot, but I just wanted to throw that info out there!

But outside of professors and vets I'm not sure what kind of people can write me eLORs so I'm not sure where to go from here.
Michigan's only required letter is from a vet I've worked with so I have that one nailed down. Blahhh.

Anyone that has worked with you and knows you well can write you letters. I was a RA, then a senior RA, and I was recently hired to be a RD for my undergrad. I am having the RD that I worked with as a senior RA write one of my letters because she knows me in a major leadership role and will write me an amazing letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I know the pain and worry that comes with a really, really quick eLOR submission. I only sent this guy the information he asked for (resume/ps draft) and put him into VMCAS last night and bam! It's already completed. I know there is no point in worrying about it, but it still stresses me out big time.

Still need to grab the email from my vet so I can put her in.

I've only worked long term with one vet and the professor I asked is probably the only one who saw enough of me during class to write something substantial.
I have other professors and vets that I could technically ask, but I feel like their letters would be nothing more than perfunctory. And I don't want that.

I think it was discussed in another thread that the speed of the submission isn't necessarily a reflection of the quality of the letter - everyone is different. Be relieved that it is out of the way and that you have one less eLOR to worry about before the due date. :) From my understanding, it's a lot more stressful if you're edging on the due date and it still hasn't been submitted.

I didn't know a lot of my professors, but I did get some of my supervisors/employers to write me recommendations as they knew me on a personal level and were able to directly observe my work ethic, attitude, etc.

Sorry if this has been asked before.. Couldn't find it on the search function:

If you've taken the GRE more than once... do you need to list all scores on VMCAS? Or just your best one?

Sorry if this has been asked before.. Couldn't find it on the search function:

If you've taken the GRE more than once... do you need to list all scores on VMCAS? Or just your best one?
List them all
From the instructions:

In this section, you are to enter information concerning all tests you have taken. Add one entry for each time you’ve taken each specific test.

• GRE: General Test (V,Q, W) is the test given between April 2002 and July 2011. The Revised General Test (V,Q,W) is the test offered as of August 2011.
  • IELTS
  • MCAT
  • TOEFL

Thanks for clarification, guys!

I have one more question: I took three seminar courses during my grad program. They were officially listed either as "Biology Seminar" or "Issues in Biological Sciences" on my transcript, but topics ranged from different current issues in medicine. Do I still list these courses as Biology courses under the Subject list?

Thanks for clarification, guys!

I have one more question: I took three seminar courses during my grad program. They were officially listed either as "Biology Seminar" or "Issues in Biological Sciences" on my transcript, but topics ranged from different current issues in medicine. Do I still list these courses as Biology courses under the Subject list?
I would still list them as biology courses

I listed my agriculture seminar and biology I and II seminar courses as agriculture and biology respectively.

I think it was discussed in another thread that the speed of the submission isn't necessarily a reflection of the quality of the letter - everyone is different. Be relieved that it is out of the way and that you have one less eLOR to worry about before the due date. :) From my understanding, it's a lot more stressful if you're edging on the due date and it still hasn't been submitted.

I didn't know a lot of my professors, but I did get some of my supervisors/employers to write me recommendations as they knew me on a personal level and were able to directly observe my work ethic, attitude, etc.

Logically I know that the speed of submission means nothing, but it still makes me nervous. Can't help it.

Problem with employers is that my only significant employer... is my mother. So obviously that's out.
I've spent quite a bit of time working with other breeders, but I don't think that's particularly helpful to me.
And a lot of my volunteering was either short term or started fairly recently.

I'll figure this out eventually, but in the mean time it's a pain in my ass.
Currently working on making new and/or strengthening current connections so when/if I have to apply again... eLORs won't be this hard to get done.

VMCAS Instructions said:
  • GRE: General Test (V,Q, W) is the test given between April 2002 and July 2011.

Hm. Do any of you know off hand whether they want us reporting expired scores, too? I'm not going to be requesting that ETS send my official old scores to schools, but the instructions are making me wonder whether VMCAS wants us to list old ones anyway.

Hm. Do any of you know off hand whether they want us reporting expired scores, too? I'm not going to be requesting that ETS send my official old scores to schools, but the instructions are making me wonder whether VMCAS wants us to list old ones anyway.
I would say yes, since they said to list all the tests you've taken

do you guys know if it's bad to "only" have 3 LoR? As in, would an applicant with 3 excellent LoRs be lesser competitive than one with 4 excellent LoRs? I am not considering mediocre LoRs in the picture.

do you guys know if it's bad to "only" have 3 LoR? As in, would an applicant with 3 excellent LoRs be lesser competitive than one with 4 excellent LoRs? I am not considering mediocre LoRs in the picture.
If the school only requires 3, then having exactly 3 is not going to negatively affect you. I doubt very much that a decision between applicants would come down to who had more letters.

It won't impact things, so long as you meet the eLOR requirement at all the places you're applying. More isn't better so long as they're all good LORs.

Reactions: 1 users
thanks guys!! :D just sent my first evaluation request! two more to gooo

I have a couple of schools that only want 3, so I will be just submitting 3 to all of my schools. I think it should be fine. :)

Did you guys include high school leadership, awards, and community service? I just finished my freshman year.. I am now an officer in my club but I'm not sure that is enough. Thanks

Did you guys include high school leadership, awards, and community service? I just finished my freshman year.. I am now an officer in my club but I'm not sure that is enough. Thanks
Yup, you can include high school stuff. You're applying as a sophomore? Don't think I've seen anyone do that before!

Yup, you can include high school stuff. You're applying as a sophomore? Don't think I've seen anyone do that before!
No no. I just love to get things planned and prepped.. especially something as important as this. I'm doing a 3+1 program so I will apply this time next year, find out if I got in my junior year and get a B.S. degree after my first year of vet school... that is if I get in. Thanks for the quick reply!

Actually, a current Purdue VM3 applied and was accepted as a sophmore through Purdue's fast track program.
No no. I just love to get things planned and prepped.. especially something as important as this. I'm doing a 3+1 program so I will apply this time next year, find out if I got in my junior year and get a B.S. degree after my first year of vet school... that is if I get in. Thanks for the quick reply!
If you have any questions about Purdue and the application, classes, the 3+1 program, lemme know! I applied to Purdue twice and graduated in December with my AnSc Bachelors :)

Potentially stupid question, I admit, but in the Prerequisites tab for the schools in Manage My Programs, do we need to select all of the classes entered that could satisfy the specific pre-req, or can we just pick and choose (for example, if I've taken several different classes that fall under the umbrella of a particular school's "Social Sciences and Humanities" pre-req, should I check all of them, or just the first ones listed chronologically on the transcript, or the ones with the highest grades)?

I feel like such an idiot asking this, haha.

Hey, I don't know if you found your answer or not, but I contacted VMCAS who said that you should only select what is sufficient to fulfill the requirement! So I take that as just choosing one of your classes that fits if you have multiple.

Question about listing experiences:

In the resumes I've had to make in the past, past jobs have usually ended the same time as the new one started, so it was easy to organize.

But what about things that are on going?

Example: I have an experience from Sept 2014-present, and another from April to May '15. Even though the second experience started more recently, the ongoing experience comes first in chronology right?

I believe the rule is list experiences that are over by end date, and then on going experiences at the beginning of the chronology organized by start date, but I just wanted to double check!

I believe the rule is list experiences that are over by end date, and then on going experiences at the beginning of the chronology organized by start date, but I just wanted to double check!
This makes the most sense to me, and is how i organized things

Some only look at 3 even if you submit more than that.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm wondering if some of you could give me advice on who to ask for my letter of recommendation?

I am going to ask a shelter veterinarian who I've shadowed extensively/volunteered for this past year, and my advisor, who is also my research professor for a letter of rec.

However, since I spent one whole summer at a private animal hospital in Taiwan, basically from 9AM-10PM each day, in retrospect I should have asked for a letter of rec from one of their veterinarians before I left their hospital last August as well. I have been keeping in touch/messaging with most of the veterinarians over Facebook as friends now, and honestly have been struggling with which veterinarian to request the letter from.

Out of the 10 veterinarians at the hospital, I narrowed down my list to two veterinarians who I felt would be able to write me the strongest letters of rec/mentored me the most/who I shadowed the most.

Vet A: is better at english, has spoken well of me to others before, is the one I shadowed the most inside the surgery room, allowed me to assist him with bandaging wounds/minor procedures, observed me interacting with owners the most, and is the one I conversed with a lot. He came into the hospital about 3x/week, and left about two weeks before I left the hospital for med school, and is the one I talk to the most over Facebook about vet stuff.

Vet B: not as good at english, but taught me: how to insert an IV, how to remove a catheter, how to properly make liquid medication/fill pill capsules, how to measure blood pressure, how to set up some of their emergency resuscitation equipment and give oxygen. She's allowed me to assist during emergency cases, restrain for ultrasounds, and allowed me to monitor a lot of her patients whenever she had to go do something real quick (saw her 5x/week).

I feel like a letter of rec from both of their observations/knowledge about me combined would be wonderful, however I don't know: 1) who to approach, since some things vet A observed me doing, vet B was not present (and vice versa), 2) how to make sure their english conveys their thoughts well? (some have suggested asking them to write it in Chinese and getting a formal translator to translate it into english for them), 3) if I should inform them about how a letter of rec is written (since those are rarely done for schools/jobs in Taiwan), and 4) if I should just choose one vet and tell him/her what I did for the other vet(s) that they may not recall observing?

I plan on e-mailing either one or the other, sending them my resumé, and a paragraph of what my tasks were in the hospital to jog their memories.

I have been feeling awful about this lately, but I hope I can send out a well-worded e-mail by tomorrow night (once I've taken my GRE tomorrow morning), so any advice would be greatly appreciated! :) Also, since it's pretty late, I honestly hope my post is coherent for all of you to read. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Sorry for the long post, but I'm wondering if some of you could give me advice on who to ask for my letter of recommendation?

I am going to ask a shelter veterinarian who I've shadowed extensively/volunteered for this past year, and my advisor, who is also my research professor for a letter of rec.

However, since I spent one whole summer at a private animal hospital in Taiwan, basically from 9AM-10PM each day, in retrospect I should have asked for a letter of rec from one of their veterinarians before I left their hospital last August as well. I have been keeping in touch/messaging with most of the veterinarians over Facebook as friends now, and honestly have been struggling with which veterinarian to request the letter from.

Out of the 10 veterinarians at the hospital, I narrowed down my list to two veterinarians who I felt would be able to write me the strongest letters of rec/mentored me the most/who I shadowed the most.

Vet A: is better at english, has spoken well of me to others before, is the one I shadowed the most inside the surgery room, allowed me to assist him with bandaging wounds/minor procedures, observed me interacting with owners the most, and is the one I conversed with a lot. He came into the hospital about 3x/week, and left about two weeks before I left the hospital for med school, and is the one I talk to the most over Facebook about vet stuff.

Vet B: not as good at english, but taught me: how to insert an IV, how to remove a catheter, how to properly make liquid medication/fill pill capsules, how to measure blood pressure, how to set up some of their emergency resuscitation equipment and give oxygen. She's allowed me to assist during emergency cases, restrain for ultrasounds, and allowed me to monitor a lot of her patients whenever she had to go do something real quick (saw her 5x/week).

I feel like a letter of rec from both of their observations/knowledge about me combined would be wonderful, however I don't know: 1) who to approach, since some things vet A observed me doing, vet B was not present (and vice versa), 2) how to make sure their english conveys their thoughts well? (some have suggested asking them to write it in Chinese and getting a formal translator to translate it into english for them), 3) if I should inform them about how a letter of rec is written (since those are rarely done for schools/jobs in Taiwan), and 4) if I should just choose one vet and tell him/her what I did for the other vet(s) that they may not recall observing?

I plan on e-mailing either one or the other, sending them my resumé, and a paragraph of what my tasks were in the hospital to jog their memories.

I have been feeling awful about this lately, but I hope I can send out a well-worded e-mail by tomorrow night (once I've taken my GRE tomorrow morning), so any advice would be greatly appreciated! :) Also, since it's pretty late, I honestly hope my post is coherent for all of you to read. Thanks in advance!
I think asking them to work on the letter together would be a good idea. There were two vets at one of the places I interned, and what they did was have one (the more senior vet) actually do the evaluation, while the other vets and the techs gave her comments to help with the letter and to fill in the blanks of the evaluation where it was asking about things that she hasn't personally observed.

There's a sample evaluation here, so as you can see you won't really have to worry about telling them how to do the evaluation and letter, since there are instructions.

As for the language aspect, I'm not sure. If you ask the vet who is better at english to actually do the evaluation and write the letter, with the other vet proving extra comments and thoughts, that might solve that issue. Though it depends on how good at english you think he is.

RANT: I am frustrated with the experiences section on the VMCAS. I have 25+ entries and I think they should automatically adjust chronologically or you should have the ability to move the entries around. Just because I forgot to add a more recent experience I would have to delete all of my entries to the point where I would insert the more recent experience.

I just got off the phone with a VMCAS rep that was very unhelpful and somewhat rude.

Also, I think it's crazy that we need to contact just about every school that has a prerequisite entering section on the VMCAS supplemental. Some schools want the first class taken that fulfills the requirement while some don't care if you fulfill the prerequisite with the class with the highest grade regardless of when taken.

They should either include legitimate instructions on the supplemental section or not have it at all.

Starting to miss the old VMCAS...

Last edited:
RANT: I am frustrated with the experiences section on the VMCAS. I have 25+ entries and I think they should automatically adjust chronologically or you should have the ability to move the entries around. Just because I forgot to add a more recent experience I would have to delete all of my entries to the point where I would insert the more recent experience.
Agreed. I know that VMCAS 3.0 is new and a lot of the kinks are still being worked out, I'm sure, but the experiences section is seriously frustrating. I've now had to go through and delete everything twice and redo it all because I have new experiences to add, and they're absolutely adamant on everything being chronological... I really wish that there was an option to move experiences around and reorder them as need be. Was that a thing on the old VMCAS?

Another user on here (can't remember who, sorry!) suggested leaving a few blank experience slots when filling the section out as a precaution. That way you can fill them out at a later time if you decide to add something new or just delete them before submitting the application if they're not needed. I'll personally be doing it that way from now on.

But, yeah, I really hope that VMCAS fixes this problem in particular, be it for this cycle or the future. It's aggravating to keep having to re-enter experiences over and over again, to say the least.

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually haven't entered any experiences yet because of what everyone has said about deleting this experiences. My ornithology professor wants to do a research project with birds using the green space on our science building roof, but she hasn't e-mailed me back saying that we have the green light. Until I know whether or not I am going to have to enter in this experience, I am not going to do anything with that section.

Agreed. I know that VMCAS 3.0 is new and a lot of the kinks are still being worked out, I'm sure, but the experiences section is seriously frustrating. I've now had to go through and delete everything twice and redo it all because I have new experiences to add, and they're absolutely adamant on everything being chronological... I really wish that there was an option to move experiences around and reorder them as need be. Was that a thing on the old VMCAS?

Another user on here (can't remember who, sorry!) suggested leaving a few blank experience slots when filling the section out as a precaution. That way you can fill them out at a later time if you decide to add something new or just delete them before submitting the application if they're not needed. I'll personally be doing it that way from now on.

But, yeah, I really hope that VMCAS fixes this problem in particular, be it for this cycle or the future. It's aggravating to keep having to re-enter experiences over and over again, to say the least.

That's not a bad idea to put some blanks in! The old VMCAS did put it in order for you...I wish they could make it that way again!

I actually haven't entered any experiences yet because of what everyone has said about deleting this experiences. My ornithology professor wants to do a research project with birds using the green space on our science building roof, but she hasn't e-mailed me back saying that we have the green light. Until I know whether or not I am going to have to enter in this experience, I am not going to do anything with that section.
Yeah, that's what I would do too. Wait until you're sure all your experiences are done or you're close enough to when yoi want to submit that you wouldn't have anything else to put it.

Question for those that have finished inputting your transcripts: The only courses I have left to input from my first institution are my 11 courses I got for AP credit. I noticed that I could simply put "none" for the grade and no grade will be assigned to the course through VMCAS. Does putting a grade in matter for the AP courses that you guys have noticed? The instructions say that we don't get to designate AP until after we submit our courses, so I don't know what inputting "none" will do.

You've got to be kidding!! So after Years of being the application handler for vet school ....... They suddenly can't put things in order? They forgot how to sort data by .... Gasp ..... A date????

I swear the programming for VMCAS is done by somebody's kid with a "My First SQL DB" book. It's incredible sometimes. Took them years and years just to be able to save data. And now they've forgotten how to sort data.

It's. Not. That. Hard.

They *desperately* need some competition to force them to excel.

Seriously and with zero exaggerating: This application is the kind of thing my team would have built out in a week. Maybe a month at the outside. And it would have worked without grief for the end user. It's always been beyond me why VMCAS is so incapable when it comes to the technical side of things.

Reactions: 6 users
At my undergrad, AP credits are designated on our transcripts with a grade of "CR", which VMCAS accepted. Does your transcript have something like that? If not, I'd go with putting "none", personally.

Our AP credits aren't designated as anything. They list the AP credit (AP BIO, AP CHEM, etc) and then the courses that are awarded for that credit. I decided to go through and just list none since VMCAS accepted it. I definitely prefer the old way of just designating something as "AP" or "Retake" when you put it in. I don't like having to submit stuff first.

@LetItSnow, my cousin at Google totally agrees. He saw the set up and was like, "Really? They make you pay money for this?" He thinks it is absolutely ridiculous.

You've got to be kidding!! So after Years of being the application handler for vet school ....... They suddenly can't put things in order? They forgot how to sort data by .... Gasp ..... A date????

I swear the programming for VMCAS is done by somebody's kid with a "My First SQL DB" book. It's incredible sometimes. Took them years and years just to be able to save data. And now they've forgotten how to sort data.

It's. Not. That. Hard.

They *desperately* need some competition to force them to excel.

Seriously and with zero exaggerating: This application is the kind of thing my team would have built out in a week. Maybe a month at the outside. And it would have worked without grief for the end user. It's always been beyond me why VMCAS is so incapable when it comes to the technical side of things.
Perhaps this is your gateway to richness

Reactions: 3 users
Perhaps this is your gateway to richness

I left that industry for a reason. But I am a 17-year expert in that field, so I'm confident in my criticism. From a technical standpoint, it's like these guys are a start up without any technical talent. Except that they've been doing this for years. It's bizarre.

I left that industry for a reason. But I am a 17-year expert in that field, so I'm confident in my criticism. From a technical standpoint, it's like these guys are a start up without any technical talent. Except that they've been doing this for years. It's bizarre.

You could just set it up then sell it to a tech company you trust to run it but keep a share of the profits. ;)

Reactions: 1 users