class of 2023!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Date OptomCAS submitted: 09/29/18
Date verified: 10/08/18
OAT Scores: 370 AA / 360 TS
Major: Biology
GPA: 3.19
Extracurricular Activities: shadowing, optometric tech
Schools applied: Salus, SCO, IUSO, PUCO, NECO
Interviews extended/date: Salus (10/8), SCO (10/8), IUSO (10/9), PUCO (10/15), NECO (10/11)
Interviews accepted: Salus (10/12), IUSO (11/2), PUCO (10/26)
Interviews declined: SCO (flight issues the day before. had to cancel because of timeline issues with other schools), NECO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: Salus (10/16), IUSO (11/5), PUCO (11/1)
Posting for people who, like me, have less-than-stellar GPAs, showing that with a good OAT score, you should be totally fine. DM me with any questions you may have!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviews extended/date: Salus (10/8), SCO (10/8), IUSO (10/9), PUCO (10/15), NECO (10/11)
Interviews declined: SCO (flight issues the day before. had to cancel because of timeline issues with other schools), NECO
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
Salus (10/16), IUSO (11/5), PUCO (11/1)
Posting for people who, like me, have less-than-stellar GPAs, showing that with a good OAT score, you should be totally fine. DM me with any questions you may have!
I applied to 4/5 schools you applied to and also got into both IUSO and PUCO!! I was curious what your opinion was on both of those schools and why you declined NECO's interview?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/24/2018
Date verified: 9/26/2018
OAT Scores: 290 AA / 280TS
GPA: 3.54
Extracurricular Activities: Honors College, Optician, Shadowing Experience, Residential Advisor, Biology Mentor, Numerous Honor Societies and Clubs, + more.
Schools applied: ICO, UMSL
Interviews extended/date: ICO (10/11)
Interviews accepted: ICO (11/05)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: ICO (11/16)

There is hope with a lower OAT score.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I applied to 4/5 schools you applied to and also got into both IUSO and PUCO!! I was curious what your opinion was on both of those schools and why you declined NECO's interview?
I loved both schools! But I preferred IUSO's clinic, and I enjoyed Bloomington a lot more than Forest Grove. I went to undergrad in a college town pretty similar to Bloomington, so I felt more comfortable there I think. I had initially accepted NECO's interview for late this month, but after receiving my acceptances, I decided I would save the extra few bucks on travel.. Nothing against NECO at all.

Congrats by the way!! Maybe we'll be classmates haha

I loved both schools! But I preferred IUSO's clinic, and I enjoyed Bloomington a lot more than Forest Grove. I went to undergrad in a college town pretty similar to Bloomington, so I felt more comfortable there I think. I had initially accepted NECO's interview for late this month, but after receiving my acceptances, I decided I would save the extra few bucks on travel.. Nothing against NECO at all.

Congrats by the way!! Maybe we'll be classmates haha
Awesome, I was just wondering as it is always nice to have some other opinions! Are you planning on attending IUSO then?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/29/18
Date verified: 9/5/18
OAT Scores: 300TS/310AA
Major: Neuroscience
GPA: 3.4
Extracurricular Activities: President of dance company, over 1000 hours of optometry experience as a paid technician in private practice, ICO summer program, OSU summer program, volunteer with STEM middle school mentoring
Schools applied: UHCO, SUNY, ICO, NECO, OSU
Supplemental Application: all
Interviews extended/date: NECO (9/7), SUNY (9/12), OSU (9/26), ICO (10/11)
Interviews accepted: SUNY (10/18), NECO (11/2), OSU (11/30)
Interviews declined: ICO
Rejections/date: n/a
Acceptance/date: SUNY (10/24), NECO (11/8)

One more interview and then I will make my decision! Will update this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How did your SUNY interview go – did it feel really short since it's only 30 minutes long? What recommendations do you have to prepare? Were there any unexpected/difficult questions? I heard that SUNY likes to ask about politics. My SUNY interview is coming up soon, and it's the first optometry school interview I'll be doing. I'm so nervous.

How did your SUNY interview go – did it feel really short since it's only 30 minutes long? What recommendations do you have to prepare? Were there any unexpected/difficult questions? I heard that SUNY likes to ask about politics. My SUNY interview is coming up soon, and it's the first optometry school interview I'll be doing. I'm so nervous.

My SUNY interview went well. It was more of a conversation why optometry, etc...they did ask me about my OAT scores since they are below their averages so that was the only “grilling” aspect. I literally just read the SDN precious interview questions to prepare as it wasn’t difficult AT ALL. We didn’t go into politics one bit. I would say don’t be nervous and just be yourself! The interviews are a little hard to read but nothing to stress out about

Date OptomCAS submitted: 05/10/18
Date verified: 10/10/18
OAT Scores: 340 TS/ 340 AA
Major: Health Science
GPA: 3.69
Extracurricular Activities: Homeless shelter volunteer, tutor, random community festival volunteer, ski club member at school
Schools applied: PUCO (supplemental accepted 17/10/18)
Interviews extended/date: PUCO (21/10/18)
Interviews accepted: PUCO (2/11/18)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: PUCO (15/11/18) !!!!!!! =D So happy!

OAT Scores: 300TS/310AA
Extracurricular Activities: President of dance company, over 1000 hours of optometry experience as a paid technician in private practice, ICO summer program, OSU summer program, volunteer with STEM middle school mentoring
Rejections/date: n/a
One more interview and then I will make my decision! Will update this

hey! congrats on your acceptances, i was wondering when you requested your suny interview date, how long did they take to confirm back?

hey! congrats on your acceptances, i was wondering when you requested your suny interview date, how long did they take to confirm back?

Hi thank you so much! I was invited for an interview on 09/12, I requested my date on the same day 09/12 and received my confirmation of the date and time 35 minutes later on that day!

Eyesoul, if you emailed them and haven’t received a confirmation yet, I would go ahead and call them to check for your confirmation or schedule.

Does anybody know how soon after acceptances from SCO, OSU, NECO, and Salus you have to make a decision and put a deposit down? Trying to schedule my interviews not too far apart.... thanks :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody know how soon after acceptances from SCO, OSU, NECO, and Salus you have to make a decision and put a deposit down? Trying to schedule my interviews not too far apart.... thanks :)
They usually give you two weeks to accept but most schools are very understanding and if you ask for an extension they will most likely accommodate for you :) hope this helps!

FINAL-Institutional-Yearly-Performance-Report-2017-2018-11.29.18reformat.jpg

17-18 boards just released. Hope this can be of help to those deciding between schools

Reactions: 5 users
For anyone who’s received an interview to NECO, where on the portal does it show if you got one?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/28/18
Date verified: 11/02/18
OAT Scores: 360 AA/ 370 TS
Major: Environmental Science
Overall GPA: 3.02
Overall Science GPA: 2.91
Extracurricular Activities: 25+ hours shadowing, 1000+ hours working in an optometry clinic, volunteered at a vision therapy clinic, president/leadership experience at a optometry volunteer organization.
Schools applied: UCB, SCCO, SUNY, UHCO, ICO, NECO, PCO
Interviews extended/date: All except for UHCO
Interviews accepted: SUNY (11/26), SCCO (12/14)
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SUNY (11/30)

Reactions: 1 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/26/2018
Date verified: 10/12/18
OAT Scores: 350 AA 360 TS
GPA: 3.70 / 3.83 sciences
Extracurricular Activities: worked as tech and scribe full time for 2.5 years at 4 different practices
Schools applied: SCO UAB
Interviews extended/date: 10/13/18
Interviews accepted:10/15/15
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: SCO 10/24/18
Most likey going to SCO. interview at UAB in November probably will cancel.

how was your SCO interview?? I have one next week! :)

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/27/18
Date verified: 11/30/18
OAT Scores: 340 AA/ 340 TS
Major: Graduated with a BSc in Health Sciences, taking a gap year currently
Overall Science GPA: 3.72
Extracurricular Activities: 500+ hours shadowing, work as optometric assistant at 2 different optometry clinics for 2 years and currently, CNIB volunteer, past co-ops at SickKids hospital, The Cosmetic Surgery Clinic, and a pharmaceutical company, eye to eye club, health sciences student associations care, executive for Laurier Against Childhood Cancer, vice president of campus affairs for Alpha Phi
Schools applied: UofWaterloo (Canada), NECO, Salus Scholars&Traditional, SCO, and OSU
Interviews extended/date: SCO (11/30), NECO (12/3), Salus (12/3), UofWaterloo (11/30)
Interviews accepted: SCO (12/10), UofWaterloo (1/12), Salus Scholars (1/29) - cancelled interview after hearing from other schools, NECO (01/14)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCO with $10,000/year scholarship (12/12), NECO with $10,000/year scholarship (01/18)

Will decide between Waterloo or SCO after hearing back from Waterloo at end of March! :)

Last edited:
For anyone that interviewed at Midwestern CCO or ICO how did it go and how long was the interview portion of the day? I interview at both this month and not sure what to expect!! Thank you : ) !

Reactions: 1 users
Date OptomCAS submitted: 10/16/18
Date verified: 10/17/18
OAT Scores: 370 AA / 370 TS
GPA: 3.0000000000000000000000
Extracurricular Activities: Professional Fraternity President, health care organizations, 1,500 hours of optometric work
Schools applied: SCCO
Interviews extended/date: SCCO 10/17 (ON HOLD) --> Interview offered 11/26
Interviews accepted: SCCO 11/26
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
SCCO 12/3/18

Good luck to everyone applying!

If a school offers me an interview, does that mean I would have to retake the OAT? I did OK on it, all other schools told me to retake, but this school offered me an interview and i dunno if they’ll make me retake it after the interview

If a school offers me an interview, does that mean I would have to retake the OAT? I did OK on it, all other schools told me to retake, but this school offered me an interview and i dunno if they’ll make me retake it after the interview

The best thing to do is to simply call the school and ask them.

I think it depends on each school. One school I applied to asked me to retake the OAT, but the other school offered me an interview/accepted me without me having to retake the OAT. Either way, it'll come up in the interview if they want you to.

I think it just depends! They could just want to see how you are as an applicant, like beyond your oat! It is possible that they will ask you to retake it at the interview too tho. Best of luck!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 9/24/2018
Date verified: 9/26/2018
OAT Scores: 290 AA / 280TS
GPA: 3.54
Extracurricular Activities: Honors College, Optician, Shadowing Experience, Residential Advisor, Biology Mentor, Numerous Honor Societies and Clubs, + more.
Schools applied: ICO, UMSL
Interviews extended/date: ICO (10/11)
Interviews accepted: ICO (11/05)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date: ICO (11/16)

There is hope with a lower OAT score.

Congrats on your acceptance! I was just wondering how long your ICO supplementary was? Is there a one page limit to it?

Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
How did you prepare for the OAT?

Congrats on your acceptance! I was just wondering how long your ICO supplementary was? Is there a one page limit to it?

Thank you! I’m not sure if there was a page limit but mine was about a page. Good luck!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/3/2018
Date verified: 8/25/2018
OAT Scores:320AA/340TS
Major:BIOCHEMISTRY
GPA:3.18
Graduate School GPA: 3.48
Extracurricular Activities: 30 shadowing hours, 3 years working experiences, and 3 clinical certification.
Schools applied: SCO, PCO, ICO
Interviews extended/date: PCO (8/25),SCO(11/2),ICO(11/1)
Interviews accepted PCO(10/8),SCO(11/30),ICO(12/3)
Interviews declined:NONE
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
PCO (10/14),SCO(12/5), ICO(12/14/18)

Last edited:
Date OptomCAS submitted: 7/16/18
Date verified: 7/20/18
OAT Scores: 370 AA, 370 TS
Major: Medical Biology, minor in Health, Medicine, and Society
GPA: 4.0
Extracurricular Activities: 3 years experience working as a tech/intern in private practice, 200+ shadowing hours, volunteer at a center for the blind, organic chemistry tutor, chemistry club (officer), research assistant in neuroscience lab
Schools applied: NECO, PCO, MCPHS (*withdrew MCPHS app after being offered interviews at NECO and PCO*)
Interviews extended/date: NECO (7/23/18), PCO (8/8/18)
Interviews accepted: NECO (9/14/18), PCO (9/7/18)
Interviews declined: - N/A
Rejections/date: - N/A
Acceptance/date: - PCO (9/12/18), NECO (9/19/18)

I will be attending PCO next year! :)
How was the interview at PCO?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/12/18
Date verified: 11/15/18
OAT Scores: 370 AA/ 380 TS
Major: Biomedical Sciences
GPA: 3.68
Extracurricular Activities: 50+ hours shadowing, 200+ hours Optometric experience, beauty pageant, study abroad, research, church organizations, multiple leadership roles at my university and church, camp counselor, salsa society, POPS, Globull Ambassadors and Global Citizens Project, Honors college
Schools applied: PCO, NOVA, UMSL
Interviews extended/date: PCO (11/16), UMSL (11/21), NOVA (11/28)
Interviews accepted: PCO (12/7), NOVA (12/13), UMSL (12/17)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

*Will be posting updates!

The PCO interview was very relaxed! You interview with an admissions counselor and mine only lasted 15-20 minutes! Just be prepared to answer things like why optometry, what challenges there are in optometry, etc. There was nothing that unexpected. Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/7/2018
Date verified: 11/8/2018
OAT Scores: 330/320
Major: Health Science Studies, Gap Year Currently
GPA: 3.72/3.56
Extracurricular Activities: AMSA, POPS, Health Education Research Poster, Relay For Life, Dance Marathon for the Kids, Urban Missions, Grand Rounds, Medical Mission Trip, 150 hours Shadowing MD/OD practice, 112 hours Shadowing OD practice, 24 hours shadowing MD practice
Schools applied: SCO, UAB, NSUOCO
Interviews extended/date: SCO (11/12), UAB (11/8), NSUOCO (11/27)
Interviews accepted: SCO (12/7), UAB (12/4), NSUOCO (12/11)
Interviews declined: N/A
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: SCO (12/12), UAB (12/11), NSUOCO (12/11)

*Haven’t Decided Yet, Will Update*

Date OptomCAS submitted: 11/7/2018
Date verified: 11/8/2018
OAT Scores: 330/320
Major: Health Science Studies, Gap Year Currently
GPA: 3.72/3.56
Extracurricular Activities: AMSA, POPS, Health Education Research Poster, Relay For Life, Dance Marathon for the Kids, Urban Missions, Grand Rounds, Medical Mission Trip, 150 hours Shadowing MD/OD practice, 112 hours Shadowing OD practice, 24 hours shadowing MD practice
Schools applied: SCO, UAB, NSUOCO
Interviews extended/date: SCO (11/12), UAB (11/8), NSUOCO (11/27)
Interviews accepted: SCO (12/7), UAB (12/4), NSUOCO (12/11)
Interviews declined: N/A
Rejections/date: N/A
Acceptance/date: SCO (12/12), UAB (12/11), NSUOCO (12/11)

*Haven’t Decided Yet, Will Update*
Be my classmate, SCO

Interview coming up at ICO... would appreciate any details about ICO interview day/questions
Start off with some snacks, they do a file review going over grades and transcripts, then you talk to Bryant the finanical aid and he gives you a presentation, then you meet with a career person that talks about a bunch of career stuff, then you have the interview about 30-45mins long super chill and relaxed just a conversation, then you go on tour and eat lunch.

It was really chill. They asked me about how I plan to help the community with my degree, why I chose Optometry, they also asked me a scenario question. I got accepted a couple days later.

Can you PM as I have some questions?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 05/10/18
Date verified: 10/10/18
OAT Scores: 340 TS/ 340 AA
Major: Health Science
GPA: 3.69
Extracurricular Activities: Homeless shelter volunteer, tutor, random community festival volunteer, ski club member at school
Schools applied: PUCO (supplemental accepted 17/10/18)
Interviews extended/date: PUCO (21/10/18)
Interviews accepted: PUCO (2/11/18)
Interviews declined:
Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:
PUCO (15/11/18) !!!!!!! =D So happy!

Hey! My interview is on 1/11

Rejections/date:
Acceptance/date:

Can't DM you, can you tell me more about the Salus interview?

Can't DM you, can you tell me more about the Salus interview?

I entered the admissions office and received a pen and a folder with some info about PCO and the cost of attendance.

Salus started off with an overview of the school, with the candidates and their guests and one faculty member in a conference style room. We went around and introduced ourselves, our school/major, why optometry, why PCO. The overview was just about the school, its program, some faculty, the clinics, it was pretty interesting.

Then we had the individual interview, it was very brief. How I can help the community with a degree in optometry, some issues in optometry that I was concerned with, etc. Just the basics, nothing too difficult. It was pretty casual, just be yourself. The last was a scenario question they had me read and choose an answer and explain why I chose that answer. It's one of those questions to scope out who you are so there are no right or wrong answer. I'm not sure whether I can discuss what the question they asked me was, it is probably different and individualized for each candidate.

Then we took a tour with a student at the eye clinic. We hopped on a bus and they drove us down lol. They told us so many times that a car was definitely good to have at Salus., especially after the first year. Nothing much happened there because students were back home for the break.

Then they drove us back and we had lunch together. Again, it was just one student with us. Perhaps if I had gone another time we probably could've had lunch with more students currently attending PCO (that's what it said on the itinerary we were given).

Then we had a tour of the campus. It's a pretty small campus (2 buildings) so it was brief.

I really enjoyed the interview. It was my first so I was glad that it was laid-back and casual. Everyone was so nice and welcoming. Just relax and be yourself during the interview. After the interview, there's nothing else and no one else with you to determine the decision for your acceptance so use it as a chance to learn about PCO, talk to other candidates and the current students during the tour.

OAT Scores: 300TS/320AA
Rejections/date: OSU

NECO Class of 2023!!!!!!

Has anyone heard back about scholarships from Ohio State yet?

Date OptomCAS submitted: 8/12/2018
Date verified: 8/22/18
OAT Scores: 280AA/260TS
GPA: 3.14
Extracurricular Activities: Part of dean's student council, worked at a private optometry office w/ 3 doctors for over two years (900+ hours), worked at an urgent care (100+ hours), part of Biology club and Chem club
Schools applied: A lot
Interviews extended/date: PUCO (12/10), PCO (12/17)
Interviews accepted: PUCO (1/10), PCO (1/17)
Interviews declined: Western
Rejections/date: A lot

Date OptomCAS submitted: 08/06/2018
Date verified: 08/15/2018
OAT Scores: 290 TS and AA
Major: Molecular and Cell Biology
GPA: 3.1 s.gpa (3.0)
Extracurricular Activities: One mission trip, shadowed optometrist for 120+ hours, two research labs , and a couple of other clubs
Schools applied: NECO, ICO, CCO, MCPHS, Salus
Interviews extended/date: Salus (08/20), MCPHS (12/04), CCO (12/03), ICO (12/06)
Interviews accepted: Salus (09/17), MCPHS (12/08), CCO (01/07)
Rejections/date: NECO
Acceptance/date: CCO (01/08) Salus (01/09)!!

Attending CCO Class of 2023!!:soexcited:

Last edited:
what are some examples of questions you guys have been asking the schools when they ask if you have any questions? :)

Extracurricular Activities: One mission trip, shadowed optometrist for 120+ hours, two research labs , and a couple of other clubs
Interviews extended/date: Salus (08/20), MCPHS (12/04), CCO (12/03), ICO (12/06)
Acceptance/date: CCO (12/08) Salus (12/09)!!

Still have to hear back from mcphs. You can do it with a low oat score trust me!!

which school are you planning to go with?

Still have to hear back from mcphs. You can do it with a low oat score trust me!!

jusr curious ... why did salus take 3 months after your interview to let you know you were accepted ?