Classes you wish you took before dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swindoll

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There's a similar thread in Allopathic forum, but it would be nice to hear what dental school students have to say on this.

1) What undergrad class(es) did you find especially helpful in dental school?
2) What class(es) you wish you had taken in undergrad?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

There's a similar thread in Allopathic forum, but it would be nice to hear what dental school students have to say on this.

1) What undergrad class(es) did you find especially helpful in dental school?
2) What class(es) you wish you had taken in undergrad?

Thank you!
This should be more like "What classes do I wish I had taken seriously in undergrad?" I would have to say Cell Bio, more anatomy are what I wish I had taken. I wish I paid more attention in micro, anatomy, and biochem.

My school didn't offer any pathology or pharmacology courses, so I guess those. I took pretty much every other biology offered.

Members don't see this ad :)
undergrad human anatomy helped a bit

Anatomy, physiology, microbiology, biochemistry and accounting.

I wish I had taken the undergrad head and neck anatomy course that was offered at my school instead of being a TA for epidemiology :( I also wish I took immunology and had taken all of my undergrad science courses seriously.
I'm glad I took the health law and ethics course, the pathogenic bacteriology course, and the physical anthropology courses that I did take.

Having taken biochem and micro in undergrad has been helpful. I also took an additional pre-matriculation anatomy course with a cadaver lab, which was a good move. I wish I'd taken histology in undergrad or as a summer course.

Reactions: 1 user
Human anatomy with dissection

Having taken biochem and micro in undergrad has been helpful. I also took an additional pre-matriculation anatomy course with a cadaver lab, which was a good move. I wish I'd taken histology in undergrad or as a summer course.
Cadaver lab?? As in, undergrads were able to work with human cadavers? Wow, I doubt my school offers such class :(

Not all institutions offer them. I took mine as a special course offered by the PA department of a local university over the summer. Enrollment was only offered to students who had been accepted to medical, dental, PA, or PT programs. There are similar programs like it throughout the country. It was nice because it was just as intense as a health professional curriculum, but there were no grades to haunt your transcript if you didn't do well, and we had full access to a new cadaver, not hand-me-downs from every other department that had had their way with it. We made first incision. The other students at my table went through the lower extremities and joints, as they were most pertinent to their future fields, while I was given free reign over the head and neck. I'm so glad I wasn't graded the first time I got around the parotid. It was a good opportunity for hand skills, landmarks, etc., and a great overall experience. I can PM you the program I attended if you want.

Not all institutions offer them. I took mine as a special course offered by the PA department of a local university over the summer. Enrollment was only offered to students who had been accepted to medical, dental, PA, or PT programs. There are similar programs like it throughout the country. It was nice because it was just as intense as a health professional curriculum, but there were no grades to haunt your transcript if you didn't do well, and we had full access to a new cadaver, not hand-me-downs from every other department that had had their way with it. We made first incision. The other students at my table went through the lower extremities and joints, as they were most pertinent to their future fields, while I was given free reign over the head and neck. I'm so glad I wasn't graded the first time I got around the parotid. It was a good opportunity for hand skills, landmarks, etc., and a great overall experience. I can PM you the program I attended if you want.

As in the summer before D1?

Biochem and micro are definitely helpful. Some degree of anatomy as well. Wish I had taken the cadaver lab anatomy as well that my school offered my senior year (was only for PT students, but you could work yourself in if you were going to med/dental/etc.)

Aside from the required prerequisites, I was really glad I took histology in undergrad. So far, has made dental school histo a lot easier.

I wish I would have taken an embryology course in undergrad. Embryo is like a foreign language, while all my other classes are basically an expansion of what was already learned in undergrad.

Aside from the required prerequisites, I was really glad I took histology in undergrad. So far, has made dental school histo a lot easier.

I wish I would have taken an embryology course in undergrad. Embryo is like a foreign language, while all my other classes are basically an expansion of what was already learned in undergrad.

Lucky, my school never offered histo in undergrad

Immunology helped a ton since they packed a semester of immuno into the last 6 weeks of the semester. I struggled with gross anatomy though and wished I had taken it closer to starting dental school

The only class that I never considered as helpful from my college was a class from the art department.
Jewelry!
I could have learned about waxing, investment, polishing, soldering, etc.