**Columbia c/o 2010**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BallDontLie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After lots of debating over Christmas break, I've finally decided to attend Columbia! :D Anyone out there joining me?? Just thought it would be nice to meet some future classmates and start networking on things like housing, books, places to go out and such... ;)

Members don't see this ad.

nrlee said:
After lots of debating over Christmas break, I've finally decided to attend Columbia! :D Anyone out there joining me?? Just thought it would be nice to meet some future classmates and start networking on things like housing, books, places to go out and such... ;)

I have an interview there next friday... what did you like about columbia and how was the interview?

nrlee said:

i'm w/ ya nrlee. gonna be a tough next two years i'm thinkin.

u know where we can get some official info on housing? on and off campus? i dont seem to remember a lot of the info from the tour, except the communal kitchen in one of the dorms.

Members don't see this ad :)
KAP said:
I have an interview there next friday... what did you like about columbia and how was the interview?

KAP-

Things I liked - stong science cirriculum and therefore their avg board scores are pretty high, very friendly students and faculty, high number of people that specialize, seemed like there were plenty of patients, NYC...facilities were so-so, but thats not really that high on my list. Another knock you're gonna hear is the clinical experience, but that didnt really bother me. If I end up being a GP, a GPR or AEGD can only help me in the long run. Besides, it's not like I'm starting school at 30+. I'll probably be younger than most my classmates (21), so an extra year isn't really a big deal to me in the overall scheme of things.

As for the interview, it's pretty laid back, I wouldn't worry about it at all. The day starts out with a presentation, then you go right to the interview before lunch. So its good that you get it done early in the day so you can relax during the tour

netsn06 said:
i'm w/ ya nrlee. gonna be a tough next two years i'm thinkin.

u know where we can get some official info on housing? on and off campus? i dont seem to remember a lot of the info from the tour, except the communal kitchen in one of the dorms.

Right now, the only resource I know for housing info is through the Columbia website...I forgot what it was exactly, but check out the medical center homepage. I'm sure you'll find it. Do you know when we can expect a housing application? Being from Michigan, thats something I'm kinda concerned about. I wanna get that app out ASAP cuz i definitely need the housing. As for off campus housing, I have no idea....

I know its probably gonna be hell the next two years...so im definitely trying to take full advantage of my last semester as an undergrad. Not really that worried about class anymore. I'm more concerned with having fun and taking as many midafternoon naps as possible, cuz i know that will soon be a thing of the past...

nrlee said:
Right now, the only resource I know for housing info is through the Columbia website...I forgot what it was exactly, but check out the medical center homepage. I'm sure you'll find it. Do you know when we can expect a housing application? Being from Michigan, thats something I'm kinda concerned about. I wanna get that app out ASAP cuz i definitely need the housing. As for off campus housing, I have no idea....

I know its probably gonna be hell the next two years...so im definitely trying to take full advantage of my last semester as an undergrad. Not really that worried about class anymore. I'm more concerned with having fun and taking as many midafternoon naps as possible, cuz i know that will soon be a thing of the past...

At Columbia you are going to live in the dorms, likely Bard as a freshman (~$600 a month)

still waiting to hear back from them...
If the mailman brings me good news, I'll see you guys next fall... :)

Get drunk dont worry about housing. Party it up....you got into Columbia!!!

Only a small percentage live in dorms the rest have university housing.

Get drunk dont worry about housing. Party it up....you got into Columbia!!!

Only a small percentage live in dorms the rest have university apartments.

Anybody know what we need in terms of computers? Like is a laptop required? Would we use one in class or lab at all? I've got a desktop that I'd use in my room, but im just wondering if we need something a little more portable...

TuftsJZ said:
I will be there next fall with you....about the computer requirements they give you this link.

http://dental.columbia.edu/computers/

They recommend everyone gets tablet PCs. Sure, why not.

Hey thanks for the link - lots of great info. BTW, i sent you a PM

Current students...your thoughts on the tablet PC? Ill definitely be getting at least a laptop, but tablets seem to be pretty pricey compared to laptops. You guys think they are worth the extra cost? And ive never used a tablet, but it seems like the computer would have trouble recognizing your handwriting sometimes, which would obviously be a huge pain when you're scribbling notes during class..

Members don't see this ad :)
nrlee said:
Hey thanks for the link - lots of great info. BTW, i sent you a PM

Current students...your thoughts on the tablet PC? Ill definitely be getting at least a laptop, but tablets seem to be pretty pricey compared to laptops. You guys think they are worth the extra cost? And ive never used a tablet, but it seems like the computer would have trouble recognizing your handwriting sometimes, which would obviously be a huge pain when you're scribbling notes during class..

I envy my classmates who have a table PC. Most of the lectures are given via powerpoint, so it's very helpful to have a table where you can scribble on top of the lecture slides--you can't do that with a regular laptop. Me, I just end up printing out the slides and writing on top of it, old school style. I would say if it's <$1000 difference and you're definitely going for a new PC, go for the tablet, because it will be worth it. The first two years will mainly be lectures, and the majority of your lectures will be power-point based (where the teacher will make additional comments on top of the lecture slides, pointing to structure A on slide2, etc.)

Awesome. So i guess a tablet it is! Yes! more debt! Although those tablets do seem pretty sweet...

did u guys send in ur deposits yet? i got a brief email saying they've received it, along w/ my two pics, but that's it. no follow up notices or anything stating i've held my spot or that i'm all set for for now until they contact me later. they also have not deposited my check yet. am i good for the jan 15 deadline?

for those who mailed in the deposits, any word yet?

thanks much.

netsn06 said:
did u guys send in ur deposits yet? i got a brief email saying they've received it, along w/ my two pics, but that's it. no follow up notices or anything stating i've held my spot or that i'm all set for for now until they contact me later. they also have not deposited my check yet. am i good for the jan 15 deadline?

for those who mailed in the deposits, any word yet?

thanks much.

I just sent mine in on Monday, so I havent heard anything yet...but ill let u know when i do. On another note...netsn06...do we have a new jersey nets fan in the house??

bump

Looks like theyre starting to send out more acceptances...anyone else out there comin to columbia?

I'll be there!! ;)

LadyxJC said:
I'll be there!! ;)

Awesome..... What are the demographics of the C/O 2010? Spill your guts guys...

Hey congratulations!!! I remember reading earlier posts and you were really excited about Columbia...nice work getting in!!

Im sure youve been reading the posts about the living situation...what are your thoughts?

PegaNinguem said:
Awesome..... What are the demographics of the C/O 2010? Spill your guts guys...

A little about myself....21 years old..undergrad at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor....any maize and blue fans in the class? Anyone know a good place to catch some football on saturday mornings? Gotta love Michigan football, but anyone out there with me on my first love - DEEEEETROIT BASKETBALL!!!!

the parents are filipino..i was born in Detroit and lived there til i was 5, then moved to Saginaw, MI (about 90 minutes northwest of detroit) and have lived there ever since. I would be a typical Michigander and show u were i live using my hand, but its a little tough on an internet forum...

nrlee said:
Hey congratulations!!! I remember reading earlier posts and you were really excited about Columbia...nice work getting in!!

Im sure youve been reading the posts about the living situation...what are your thoughts?

I prefer to stay as close to the school as possible... lol, not a big fan of Washington Heights~ I'll probably get on campus housing... georgian sounds good. But I'm a bit worried since I'm from NYC and they give priority to out-of-state students. I hope I get a room cause my commute will be way too long if I go from home!

LadyxJC said:
I prefer to stay as close to the school as possible... lol, not a big fan of Washington Heights~ I'll probably get on campus housing... georgian sounds good. But I'm a bit worried since I'm from NYC and they give priority to out-of-state students. I hope I get a room cause my commute will be way too long if I go from home!

From what current students have said, it sounds like its pretty easy to transfer into Towers once you're there...so if its that easy, they must have extra space for people from NYC dont they? I dunno, just a thought....

So you're from NYC? Awesome!! You gotta give us the heads up on the good places to go on weekends (assuming we have time). Damn, the first two years are gonna be hell arent they?

nrlee said:
From what current students have said, it sounds like its pretty easy to transfer into Towers once you're there...so if its that easy, they must have extra space for people from NYC dont they? I dunno, just a thought....

So you're from NYC? Awesome!! You gotta give us the heads up on the good places to go on weekends (assuming we have time). Damn, the first two years are gonna be hell arent they?

Once I spent 4 months not doing ANYTHING. Gives you appreciation of a 9-5er. Seriously. :) I look forward to waking, going to class, going to the gym on main campus, finding a coffee shop near the main campus to study after the gym, and do it all over again. awesome.

nrlee said:

That is what I am expecting... But hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised with a wee bit of time for ourselves that I'm not expecting when we actually start.

LadyxJC said:
That is what I am expecting... But hopefully we'll be pleasantly surprised with a wee bit of time for ourselves that I'm not expecting when we actually start.
yeah, actually year 1 is not as bad as i thought. just can't let work pile up, that's all.

Halitosis said:
yeah, actually year 1 is not as bad as i thought. just can't let work pile up, that's all.

are you a 1st year at Columbia?

If so, you're the first 1st year Columbia student that I've noticed post on sdn... gives me some hope that they're not all in the library 24/7 :D

LadyxJC said:
are you a 1st year at Columbia?

If so, you're the first 1st year Columbia student that I've noticed post on sdn... gives me some hope that they're not all in the library 24/7 :D

eh actually i am in the lib 24/7...like a lot of my classmates. i'm typing this in the lib as we speak. there used to be a lot of them posting on sdn up till ~3 months ago. i'm sorry lady camp columbia makes everybody do their time. g/l.

Halitosis said:
eh actually i am in the lib 24/7...like a lot of my classmates. i'm typing this in the lib as we speak. there used to be a lot of them posting on sdn up till ~3 months ago. i'm sorry lady camp columbia makes everybody do their time. g/l.

:eek:
and you were just saying you were ok with that?

WHAT IS GOING ON AT COLUMBIA

Hello, Congratulations to all of you!!
I was wondering if you could share your stats, gpa, sci gpa, dats, & when you applied? I will be applying for the 2011 cycle i'm looking to see what my chances are.. thanks in advance everybody =)

Halitosis said:

oh... you tricked me! :p

Sorry to get off topic here...but I am trying to make a decision. Why did all of you choose Columbia?

Halitosis said:

Congratulations to everyone who got into Columbia!!!
I'm a 4th yr looking forward to graduate in the very last class as Columbia's "School of Dental and Oral Surgery". Believe it or not, you will all survive your 1st & 2nd year, and even have time to squeeze in some fun too. There were some really tough days along the way, but also some really great ones..... All in all, I am so happy to be part of Columbia's dental school, and in the end I hope that for all of you too! :)

Miss Mammelon, do you feel like you've had a clinically strong education? Also, do you know how the school will be changing the curriculum for the incoming class?

sarahkate235 said:
Sorry to get off topic here...but I am trying to make a decision. Why did all of you choose Columbia?

-top notch didactics
-felt comfortable with students and faculty
-small class size
-availability of on campus housing close to the school.
-NYC

Of course there's more, but thats what comes to mind off the top of my head right now...good luck on making a decision!

nrlee said:
-top notch didactics
-felt comfortable with students and faculty
-small class size
-availability of on campus housing close to the school.
-NYC

Of course there's more, but thats what comes to mind off the top of my head right now...good luck on making a decision!

thanks!

hello I saw your post.I think my daughter will be going to Columbia too. You are truly the nicest bunch of predent students I have seen in this forum.

sheri said:
hello I saw your post.My daughter will be going to Columbia too.You can email her [email protected] .she will be happy to hear from you
Are you going to Columbia, or your daughter? I saw on another post that your scores were 22 and 3.92. Are those your daughter's scores? She is still deciding where to go between several places according to your other post, or has she decided to go to Columbia?

dentalma said:
Are you going to Columbia, or your daughter? I saw on another post that your scores were 22 and 3.92. Are those your daughter's scores? She is still deciding where to go between several places according to your other post, or has she decided to go to Columbia?
:)

LadyxJC said:
oh... you tricked me! :p

i didn't trick anybody you newbie!! life here is hard, ppl here work hard, but most still get to **** on the weekends. no trix, no trix.

dentalma said:
Good question,smart observation! I found this site and put the first statement first. But then when I called her to tell her about this site she asked me to post these questions for her. I think she will soon register and log in under her own name cuz we just discovered this site last night. She has left a deposit for Columbia but she is still keeping her options open. She needs to make her final decision by the end of this week. Please give us info about Columbia as much as possible. Is it really bad to have classes with medical students? Do you have to learn a lot of unneccessary stuff? She wanted me to ask this question.Please let us know.Thanks

Grasshoper said:
Miss Mammelon, do you feel like you've had a clinically strong education? QUOTE]

i'm going to answer this even tho it wasn't directed towards me...

Yes. maybe not 3rd yr, but definately 4th year... I know in the last 7 months (since 4th year started) I've done more major stuff (crowns, bridges, RPDs, CDs) than people at other schools do in both 3rd and 4th... i probably haven't done as many cavity fillings as most people at other schools, but heck, I can do a filling in my sleep already....

columbia definately gives you a lot of clinical opportunties... it's what you make out of it, cause you can do minimal work as well... but none of us are paying 50K a year so we can goof off.

StarGirl said:
Grasshoper said:
Miss Mammelon, do you feel like you've had a clinically strong education? QUOTE]

i'm going to answer this even tho it wasn't directed towards me...

Yes. maybe not 3rd yr, but definately 4th year... I know in the last 7 months (since 4th year started) I've done more major stuff (crowns, bridges, RPDs, CDs) than people at other schools do in both 3rd and 4th... i probably haven't done as many cavity fillings as most people at other schools, but heck, I can do a filling in my sleep already....

columbia definately gives you a lot of clinical opportunties... it's what you make out of it, cause you can do minimal work as well... but none of us are paying 50K a year so we can goof off.
wow!! only 1 person got into perio this year!!! is the future of perio that shaky that nobody wants to do it???

Halitosis said:
StarGirl said:
wow!! only 1 person got into perio this year!!! is the future of perio that shaky that nobody wants to do it???
Sgirl, do you know how many ppl applied for perio in co2006? how can i contact this person/these ppl??

Thanks for your reply. Do you know if they're changing the curriculum to have clinical classes earlier?

Anyone know how/when we can open up a Columbia email account?

nrlee said:
Anyone know how/when we can open up a Columbia email account?

I'm not sure... I'd like to know as well~

Also, did anyone receive any info/application for housing? If not, please post when you do receive anything cause I don't want to be left behind! I get my mail very irregularly~

LadyxJC said:
Also, did anyone receive any info/application for housing? If not, please post when you do receive anything cause I don't want to be left behind! I get my mail very irregularly~

will do....and FYI - i called the financial aid office a few weeks ago and they said they will be mailing out info packets in mid-Feb...so keep your eyes open for that.