**Columbia c/o 2010**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello everyone. I just got my acceptance letter today! I live in San Diego but am originally from England so I'm actually looking forward to going back to cold weather.

Where are all of you from?

Members don't see this ad.

Now that more people know if they're going (I'm still trying to find a compelling reason to stay home and attend Nova), is anyone looking for off-campus housing? The neighborhood rentals seem to be in the same price range as dorms. I like dorms but I also like having my own pad.

Members don't see this ad :)
will do....and FYI - i called the financial aid office a few weeks ago and they said they will be mailing out info packets in mid-Feb...so keep your eyes open for that.

thanx a bunch! :)

halitosis is tht u in the pic

oh and for people who are looking for housing. we will have a spot opening up in tower 2 apt 8d this summer.

For those of you who have sent in your deposit, did you get anything confirming that they have received your deposit? I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago but they haven't cashed my check yet... and the deadline is approaching so I'm wondering if anyone else got some sort of confirmation?

LadyxJC said:
For those of you who have sent in your deposit, did you get anything confirming that they have received your deposit? I sent mine in a couple of weeks ago but they haven't cashed my check yet... and the deadline is approaching so I'm wondering if anyone else got some sort of confirmation?

They called confirming that they received the check

LadyxJC said:

I just sent Dr. McManus a thank you email and he wrote back confirming they had received my check. So definitely email or call them this week to confirm.

COLUMBIA CODM c/o 2010 BABY!!!

Many people posted their housing concerns. The housing application come together with the FAFSA filing material and many other forms.

CYA all in the fall

see ya'll in aug!
i can't wait to start dental school... esp at columbia... its gona be hours and hours of studying non-stop the entire yr round.. tht way it'll keep our minds off the HORRIBLE weather lke today.. freakn blizzard..ruined my buzz!!
:scared:

nrlee said:
KAP-

...therefore their avg board scores are pretty high, ...

I was told otherwise by a current columbia student (a D3): their avg board score went down drastically after they switched to Pass/No Pass. I was told Columbia was thinking about switching back to A, B, C,...F.

nrlee said:
...seemed like there were plenty of patients...

I thought so too but again I was told by a current Columbia student that many patients don't show up even when cost = 0 because (1) many of the patients are very depressed and take anti-depression drugs, (2) some just don't care because they have more important problems to worry about. I was also told that some patients are extremely rude.

dat_student said:
I was told otherwise by a current columbia student (a D3): their avg board score went down drastically after they switched to Pass/No Pass. I was told Columbia was thinking about switching back to A, B, C,...F.

I thought so too but again I was told by a current Columbia student that many patients don't show up even when cost = 0 because (1) many of the patients are very depressed and take anti-depression drugs, (2) some just don't care because they have more important problems to worry about. I was also told that some patients are extremely rude.

Interesting about the board scores, but I guess I could see how that would happen...maybe people arent working as hard cuz they just need the P?? I know even if it was graded, theres technically no difference between a B+ and C, its still a shot to your ego when you see a C on your transcript. I dont really think a graded system would change my work ethic at all, but the P/F system is nice cuz its just another thing u dont have to worry about. Oh well, if its true hopefully it takes them at least a few years to get that change into effect...which I think it will because that proposal is sure to meet a lot of resistance. We'll see how it goes...i just hope i can get out of the didactic years before they make the change!!

As for what you said about patients...depressed? having more important things to worry about? rude? Sounds to me like youve just described the patients at every dental school in the nation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Rude patients? And people suffering from depression? In NYC? How shocking!

I guess that leaves only two good choices: NYU, where the Dschool patients are Wall Street millionnaires, or UCLA, where the Dschool patients are movie stars from Beverly Hills.

I must also mention some positives about Columbia:
Hight match rate
High specialization rate
Excellent Reputation
I was especially impressed with the number of students admitted to OMFS programs.

'Sup Everyone! Congrats to everyone going to Columbia. I'm really looking forward to starting up this Fall. I live in Boston...Are any of my future classmates in the area? If so, any interest in meeting up sometime? It'd be cool to meet some of the people I'll be spending the next 4 years with.

hey is anyone thinking about living off campus?
what are the chances of getting georgian in our first yr?

raZ10 said:
I live in georgian. It isn't hard since most people do not want to live there.

I'm just a bit confused... for the 2 and 3 person suites available in the Georgian, does everyone have their own room within a suite or do you share a room with a roommate?

wow really? so incoming freshmen do get georgian? i thought most/all freshmen get placed into bard hall.
would you recommend living off-campus?

raZ10 said:
wow really? so incoming freshmen do get georgian? i thought most/all freshmen get placed into bard hall.
would you recommend living off-campus?

the majority of the first years do initially start out in bard, but there are still many that are placed in georgian, towers, etc.

i really wouldn't advise living off campus: 1. it really won't be any cheaper (campus housing is usually around $640/month) 2. it will be a greater inconvenience (farther away, even a few blocks, will make you lazier and wonder if walking to that 9am class is really worth it) and 3. it's much safer in the dorms. one of the first-years is now trying to move back on to campus, as he and another first year lived offcampus together as roomies but their place just got broken into last month. the thieves made off with their ninetendo, TV, etc :-( unless if you live in a posh apartment (which would be $$$), chances are, they won't have a security guard at the door.

Looks like I'll be joining you guys next year at Columbia! Got my acceptance today! :D :D

Congratulations!! :thumbup:

Any acceptances/rejections of applicants that were interviewed at the end of January or later?? Please let me know

INFNITE said:
Looks like I'll be joining you guys next year at Columbia! Got my acceptance today! :D :D

congrats! Columbia is a great school.

hey Pax, I'm sure you will get the letter in the next few days. My letter was mailed to my home on Long Island, so if you live further away, it's unlikely that we would receive the letter on the same day. Just hang in there!

LadyxJC said:
I'm just a bit confused... for the 2 and 3 person suites available in the Georgian, does everyone have their own room within a suite or do you share a room with a roommate?
There are some 2 and 3 person suites and some studio's. Most people who have a 2 or 3 person end up making the living room into a bedroom. So everyone has there own room but someone has their roommates walking through.

nyla24 said:
There are some 2 and 3 person suites and some studio's. Most people who have a 2 or 3 person end up making the living room into a bedroom. So everyone has there own room but someone has their roommates walking through.

Is it really hard for incoming students to get studios?

INFNITE said:

Congrats! It is an honor to have Chuck Norris as a member of the class of 2010. Now if you could try not to round house kick me over the next 4 years that would be great!

Does anyone know when classes start? What about orientation?

rajmahal1980 said:
Does anyone know when classes start? What about orientation?

i think it starts around Aug 29th

It happens but don't bet on it.

raZ10 said:
Is it really hard for incoming students to get studios?

nyla24 said:
It happens but don't bet on it.

hey guys you dont have to live in bard and chances are you wont cause many people move out of the towers and you can get spots with a little extra effort. there is a list of spots open every summer and you basically come here and go door to door early as possible and ask the person/people who live there to sign you up as there roommate. i did this over the summer b4 i got to orientation and went from living in bard, which i hear suxxxxxxxxx to my own bedroom in a 3br apt for 728 a month. sure u pay an extra 80 bucks but i definately think its worth it. the key thing here is to make the effort early cause people move out at the end of the school year. and if u happen to stop by, one of my roommates is movin out and so we r on the lookout for a potential new roommate. oh and dont send me a message to describe myself cause i aint the one looking for a room here, describing yourself may help you get out of bard. oh my aim is stewie dds if you have any questions.

raZ10 said:

I think I am going to be living off campus, but not in Washington Heights. I was thinking more on the upper west side with a friend. The commute is going to suck, but I do it now, so no big deal.

nyla24 said:
I live in georgian. It isn't hard since most people do not want to live there.

What's wrong with Georgian?

TuftsJZ said:
I will be there next fall with you....about the computer requirements they give you this link.

http://dental.columbia.edu/computers/

They recommend everyone gets tablet PCs. Sure, why not.

I just noticed there's two pages for the computer requirement:
http://dental.columbia.edu/computers/requirement.html
http://dental.columbia.edu/computers/
Does anybody know which one is the accurate one, because one says all first years require laptops, while the other says beginning 2005 all students need a computer.

...by the way, "HI" everybody in the Class of 2010 :D I'm so stoked to go to NY and see you guys in fall!!!

I think the laptop requirement is recently implemented. My sister is a 3rd year student, and she didn't have to get a laptop when she entered Columbia.

as far as living arrangements, I believe the Towers are the more desirable places to live. Georgian is still more desirable than dorm styled Bard Hall though

By the way, nice to see a fellow Yankee fan. Maybe we can go see some games this Fall or something

INFNITE said:
By the way, nice to see a fellow Yankee fan. Maybe we can go see some games this Fall or something

Sure thing, I've always wanted to go to a Yankees game. That's pretty nice, since we're not far from Yankee Stadium. However, I am a much bigger basketball fan......which is REALLY unfortunate for me. Man, the Knicks are a MESS!!! :mad: Maybe I'll have more fun by going across the Hudson River and watching the Nets instead...or they could just move to Brooklyn :D

enginerd said:
Sure thing, I've always wanted to go to a Yankees game. That's pretty nice, since we're not far from Yankee Stadium. However, I am a much bigger basketball fan......which is REALLY unfortunate for me. Man, the Knicks are a MESS!!! :mad: Maybe I'll have more fun by going across the Hudson River and watching the Nets instead...or they could just move to Brooklyn :D

Yankee games are fun. I sat in the bleacher seats when I went two years ago so I couldn't see the players at all. But I did get close to catching Sheffield's homerun. As for Knick games, I can't stand watching them anymore. Dropping two in a row bc of Francis is just sad.

enginerd said:

Awesome :thumbup: I definitely follow the NBA way more than anything else. Im always down for a trip to the garden or across the river for the nets...and most definitely when my Pistons are in town (man i hope they're in NY or NJ on a weekend!!)

remember when everyone complained about Scott Layden as the GM? who would've known it would get any worse...even with the league's highest payroll...pretty sad

Have you guys had your checks deposited yet? I did get an email confirmation but it still hasn't been deducted from my bank account, and its been about a month.

Yea it takes a while. I sent them my deposit right after the new year and they just cashed my check two weeks ago.

BallDontLie said:
Yea it takes a while. I sent them my deposit right after the new year and they just cashed my check two weeks ago.

DO WE HAVE TO SEND IN A SECOND DEPOSIT?? I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING IN THE ACCEPTANCE PACKET THAT SAYS TO DO SO, BUT REMEMBER HEARING THAT WE WOULD HAVE TO SEND IN 2 DEPOSITS AT THE INTERVIEW...

OMSinNY said:
DO WE HAVE TO SEND IN A SECOND DEPOSIT?? I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING IN THE ACCEPTANCE PACKET THAT SAYS TO DO SO, BUT REMEMBER HEARING THAT WE WOULD HAVE TO SEND IN 2 DEPOSITS AT THE INTERVIEW...

The second depoist is due May 1 and is $500. It said so on the admissions response form that you turned in with the initial deposit (I had made a copy)

So you have a while to decide between Stony Brook and Columbia.

By the way which one are you leaning towards?

rajmahal1980 said:
The second depoist is due May 1 and is $500. It said so on the admissions response form that you turned in with the initial deposit (I had made a copy)

So you have a while to decide between Stony Brook and Columbia.

By the way which one are you leaning towards?

THANKS!! I THOUGHT I MADE COPIES OF EVERYTHING, BUT I MUST HAVE BEEN SO EXCITED WHEN I GOT THE ACCEPTANCE, THAT I FILLED OUT THE RESPONSE FORM AND MAILED IT BACK TOO QUICKLY. I'M KIND OF SPLIT DOWN THE MIDDLE STILL, THOUGH...THEY SEEM LIKE ALMOST COMPLETE OPPOSITES TO ME. FOR EVERYTHING I LOVE ABOUT COLUMBIA OVER SB, THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE ABOUT SB WHICH COLUMBIA DOESN'T HAVE...

Stony Brook is alot cheaper than Columbia....