**Columbia c/o 2010**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OMSinNY said:
THANKS!! I THOUGHT I MADE COPIES OF EVERYTHING, BUT I MUST HAVE BEEN SO EXCITED WHEN I GOT THE ACCEPTANCE, THAT I FILLED OUT THE RESPONSE FORM AND MAILED IT BACK TOO QUICKLY. I'M KIND OF SPLIT DOWN THE MIDDLE STILL, THOUGH...THEY SEEM LIKE ALMOST COMPLETE OPPOSITES TO ME. FOR EVERYTHING I LOVE ABOUT COLUMBIA OVER SB, THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE ABOUT SB WHICH COLUMBIA DOESN'T HAVE...

Dang, I forgot to make photocopies too because I was in a rush to send everything back! Would anybody be kind enough to tell me if there is anything else important on the admission response & student information forms? Thank! :D

Members don't see this ad.

make sure you send in final college transcript by August 1 certifying satisfactory completion of the prereq's

also, send an official DAT score report to Columbia

INFNITE said:
make sure you send in final college transcript by August 1 certifying satisfactory completion of the prereq's

also, send an official DAT score report to Columbia

Yeah it said that too but wasn't all that stuff taken care of through the application cycle? Columbia had to have received our official DAT scores or they wouldn't have reviewed our apps.

As for the grades, I think it just means send transcripts if you are currently taking courses that were not on the original AADSAS or AADSAS update. I could be wrong though.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have no idea, because everyone must have already sent in their DAT score report, so I don't know why they would ask for it again. Just to be safe, I would send it in again.

i cant wait till u guys start so u can share some of the pain and torture. :laugh:

INFNITE said:
By the way, nice to see a fellow Yankee fan. Maybe we can go see some games this Fall or something

BTW the Yankees suck, but I will still go to a game with you two to watch them lose. HA!

enginerd said:
What's wrong with Georgian?

I just noticed there's two pages for the computer requirement:
http://dental.columbia.edu/computers/requirement.html
http://dental.columbia.edu/computers/
Does anybody know which one is the accurate one, because one says all first years require laptops, while the other says beginning 2005 all students need a computer.

...by the way, "HI" everybody in the Class of 2010 :D I'm so stoked to go to NY and see you guys in fall!!!

The laptop one is the one I got from my acceptance packet. Thats the most up to date link.

sdos2009 said:
i cant wait till u guys start so u can share some of the pain and torture. :laugh:

I can't wait for pain and torture. Sweet.

TuftsJZ said:
BTW the Yankees suck, but I will still go to a game with you two to watch them lose. HA!

haha, what a loser :laugh:

can someone post the address to which we mail our deposits to columbia again?

thanks much.

Dr. Joseph McManus
Assistant Dean for Admissions
Columbia University
College of Dental Medicine
630 West 168 Street, P&S 3-450
New York, NY 10032

INFNITE said:
Dr. Joseph McManus
Assistant Dean for Admissions
Columbia University
College of Dental Medicine
630 West 168 Street, P&S 3-450
New York, NY 10032

thanks much chaz!

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone gotten their financial aid award letter yet? Its been about two weeks since the deadline, so im just wondering when we can expect it...

hey does anyone know when we have to send in our second deposit?

$500 due May 1st, and final transcripts from all schools attended is due August 1st. On another note, does anyone know when we start up? I think its orientation in mid August, then schools starts late August, but I was wondering if anyone had exact dates.

I have no idea either.

So far all I have got was confirmation that they received my initial housing form. Nothing from financial aid.

Also my first deposit was sent Feb 10th and they still haven't withdrawn it from my account. I know someone had said it takes ages but I didn't think it would take this long. Is anyone else in same boat as me?

When did you get your initial housing form?! Did it come with the financial forms?

WonderY said:
When did you get your initial housing form?! Did it come with the financial forms?

Yeah I think it came with the financial aid and healthcare info (form for physical, immunizations, etc). It was pretty basic, they just asked if you were looking for single or couple housing.

Have you got yours yet?

Did you guys send back the health form thing? Is there a deadline for that? thanx...

Oh and which laptop do you have/plan on getting? Are tablets worth it? I am clueless about computers...

LadyxJC said:
Did you guys send back the health form thing? Is there a deadline for that? thanx...

Oh and which laptop do you have/plan on getting? Are tablets worth it? I am clueless about computers...

i haven't filled out the health form thing either. Is anyone planning on living off campus?

for laptop, i already got my MacBook Pro. Beautiful machine.

i'm almost sure orientation starts August 21st and classes start August 28th. Don't quote me on it though, it's just a guess.

for the machine, 3 year warranty and tax, that totaled to be about $2800 (after student discount, which saved me ~$300 i believe). I also purchased a carrying sleeve, which is about $50 and MS Office, which is like $150. Totalled to be about $3000. Yeah, it's expensive, but this computer does it all. Runs OS X, Windows , you name it. Plus, it's sexy as hell.

INFNITE said:
haha, what a loser :laugh:

Yanks lose series to Oakland. Told you so. Thats my team.. :cool:

As of two days ago I have been forced to make one of the most difficult decisions in my life, and I'm happy to say I'm going to be part of the Columbia family. I was accepted to UCLA :) on Friday and Columbia on Saturday :laugh: , and with the way things are going, I'm going to get accepted to Tufts as well (dam that $750 deposit). I know that this is the right decision and look forward to meeting you all very soon.

I am a California native so I do have a couple questions for those in the know; 1) am I going to have a problem getting licensed in California when I decide to come back, 2) is UCLA not going to offer me a position for specialty because I turned them down for dental school, 3) will you guys and gals be nice enough to show me around (I've been to NY for a total of less than 12 hrs in my life, with most of that time at the inteview and in the back seat of a taxi)?

Thanks for all the input

OPNYDR said:
As of two days ago I have been forced to make one of the most difficult decisions in my life, and I'm happy to say I'm going to be part of the Columbia family. I was accepted to UCLA :) on Friday and Columbia on Saturday :laugh: , and with the way things are going, I'm going to get accepted to Tufts as well (dam that $750 deposit). I know that this is the right decision and look forward to meeting you all very soon.

I am a California native so I do have a couple questions for those in the know; 1) am I going to have a problem getting licensed in California when I decide to come back, 2) is UCLA not going to offer me a position for specialty because I turned them down for dental school, 3) will you guys and gals be nice enough to show me around (I've been to NY for a total of less than 12 hrs in my life, with most of that time at the inteview and in the back seat of a taxi)?

Thanks for all the input

Yes, you will have disadvantage going to specialty to UCLA, since you will have less contact with their faculty... they tend to take their own a lot. Some residency reserve one or two spots for their own due to politics. For example, UCLA OMFS never took Columbia grad..they interview them but they never took one.. ever!!!! it's politics but hey what can you do....

About getting license in Cal, you can also do Western Regional for Cal license but this you need to do all on your own where as if you attend Cal school you will be prepared that way...diff board exam has diff criteria and this slight difference means pass/fail.

if you want to specialize in Cal, stay in Cal...it's easier that way...

Where did I go to school? .... Columbia

Hope this helps...

Now that I've made my decision, I'd like to start preping for next year. Do any of you current Columbia students want to sell you books, or let me know which books you had for your first year (name and ISBN #). Which subjects do you wish you had more exposure to before D-school? And what should I prep for this summer.

Thanks for all the input.

OPNYDR said:
Now that I've made my decision, I'd like to start preping for next year. Do any of you current Columbia students want to sell you books, or let me know which books you had for your first year (name and ISBN #). Which subjects do you wish you had more exposure to before D-school? And what should I prep for this summer.

Thanks for all the input.

I guess you decided to come to columbia afterall..
Well, wish you the best luck!!!!!,
it will be hard like all other dental school but like I told all Columbia 1st yrs... if I can do it, you can also!

Don't let Dr Salentine ( I never learned to spell her name ...who cares...) intimidate you...!!!.

If I were you, review human physiology once before school begins...med school part is not a joke!!!

bacchus-D
Thanks for the info, what books are you using though? I will review the material, though using the same books would be nice.

Thanks

OPNYDR said:
bacchus-D
Thanks for the info, what books are you using though? I will review the material, though using the same books would be nice.

Thanks

The book we used for class is "Physiology" 2nd edition by Linda Costanzo. You shouldn't have to worry too much about buying books because a lot of big sibs will be passing theirs on to the little sibs (and there is also a used book sale during the end of orientation--that's where I ended up getting most of my books). For both semesters, I've only spent about $600 on books (granted, I bought most of them used and I didn't get all the books that were recommended). You will notice that a lot of the books they recommend really aren't helpful because 1. the class notes are pretty thorough, and that is the material they will test from 2.book material is "supplementary," used if you don't understand the lecture--but, you really don't have time to read all that supplementary stuff. First 2/3 of the year was pretty painful, especially last block...but now that anatomy is over, the mice are out to play.

I like Dr. Salentijn and don't find her intimidating at all...Dr. Moss, on the other hand, is an entirely different story :laugh:

hey guys.
my brother and i finally recieved an acceptance letter today. :)
we are very looking forward to meeting with you all in the fall.
in the meantime, does anyone know if we need to collect teeth before school starts? :confused:

scentofj said:
hey guys.
we are very looking forward to meeting with you all in the fall.
in the meantime, does anyone know if we need to collect teeth before school starts? :confused:

Your brother and you only got one letter, so whoever wins the death match gets the ticket to the big apple?

Just kidding :laugh:

greenday,

let me correct my mistake.
my brother and I finally received "acceptance letters" today. ;)
are you also planning to attend columbia in the fall?

scentofj said:
hey guys.
congrats. if you guys are twins, we already have a set of twins in the 2009 class :)

nope. you'll be drilling plastic teeth once school starts, no need to collect real ones.

Grasshoper said:
are you guys twins?

We are not twins.
My brother is 4 years younger than me. :)

vandy_yankee said:
nope. you'll be drilling plastic teeth once school starts, no need to collect real ones.

Is it better to use plastic teeth?! What's the difference?

vandy_yankee said:

Grasshoper said:

i have yet to cut real teeth (first year) so i have no idea as to how the quality compares, but seeing how many teeth i went through to get the feel of the drill down, you need to practice on fake ones first. the clinic here extracts a lot of teeth for us to practice on, but not THAT many :laugh: even now, that we're doing cavity preps, i still burn through/oops a couple for each assignment

I caught a weightlifting thread on SDN and was wondering... I won't be happy with a small little apartment complex style gym, which is what I imagine they have over there in the dorms...

Does anyone know about the undergrad gym? My tentative plan was to just hop on the 1 and take a 10 min ride to the undergrad gym, but I have no clue about anything undergrad at Columbia. Is the gym good? Close to the subway line?

PegaNinguem said:
I caught a weightlifting thread on SDN and was wondering... I won't be happy with a small little apartment complex style gym, which is what I imagine they have over there in the dorms...

Does anyone know about the undergrad gym? My tentative plan was to just hop on the 1 and take a 10 min ride to the undergrad gym, but I have no clue about anything undergrad at Columbia. Is the gym good? Close to the subway line?

the undergrad gym is what a real university gym should be like: multi-floor, complete collectgion of free wights, machines, cardio crap, ~5 bball courts, volley ball courts, ~olympic size pools, etc...it's better than the 24hour fitness center. that tiny gym in the med ctr is nothing. in the summer it becomes an oven b/c it has no a/c.

however, i heard you have to pay a fee for the undergrad gym. the amt, i dunno.

vandy_yankee said:
i have yet to cut real teeth (first year) so i have no idea as to how the quality compares, but seeing how many teeth i went through to get the feel of the drill down, you need to practice on fake ones first. the clinic here extracts a lot of teeth for us to practice on, but not THAT many :laugh: even now, that we're doing cavity preps, i still burn through/oops a couple for each assignment

vandy,
i've extracted a real tooth from a cadaver! i was in the anat lab alone late one ngith and decided to try out my skills.

at the anatomy lab late at night alone...creepy

pretty sure orientation starts 8/21 and classes start 8/28 (that is according to class of 2009's calendar this past school year on their class website)

PegaNinguem said:

the med campus gym has freeweights and some equipment, but if you're a heavy lifter i would recommend joining the lifting club--there's a separate room in the basement with more weights for the serious lifters, but i think you have to pay a $90 membership for the entire year. that weightroom is also 24 hours. i wouldn't recommend going to the undergrad, b/c it's always a pain in the ass and you won't have that much free time.

halitosis--you crack me up. those teeth in some of the cadavers were creepy.

Quick question: We have a second deposit coming up May 1st, right? I was wondering if this $500 deposit (or even the previous $1000 deposit) is refundable? I accidentally sent in my Letter of Intent without making a copy and I forgot what it said on there regarding the second deposit. I'm still waiting to hear back from a school and they might not give me an answer before May 1st. Thanks for the help you guys!

^^^sorry buddy, but you may be out of luck. i don't remember exactly, but i'm pretty sure they keep all of your deposit $$--however much you've paid them, they will keep if you decide not to come. after all, they are saving a seat for you, so they want to penalize you for breaking the contract. harsh, yes, expensive, yes...but in the end, it is fair because it pressures the people who are really iffy into making a decision instead of holding on to a lot of acceptance letters.

first year is fun! (at least the first few weeks before classes get rolling, and definitely after the spring break block--i have so much free time now, hence the postings) i hope you all come, we're already working on fundraising for orientation. we'll be holding a talent show and an auction to help raise $$ (where yours truly will be whoring either herself or some item off, just to raise money for you all).

My brother and I have been debating between the university housing and a private apartment. Any suggestion? :confused: