Cornell c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bisbee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just submitted the Cornell supplemental application today. It's due Monday, but it feels good to get it submitted. Everything on the tracking page is checked off except the dean's certification, but I just mailed that off today. I think that isn't due until later anyway, though. Good luck with everyone else finishing up those supplementals!

Members don't see this ad.

Yep, Dean's Certification isn't actually due until March, but it's nice to get it done early! Glad to see someone else is applying to Cornell, I thought I was the only one!

There are a few of us out there if the "where did you apply?" poll is any reflection.

/ DVM/PhD applicant

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you in state or out of state? I am in state myself. I did my undergrad at Cornell, too. It would be so great to go to Cornell again. I am also applying to Tufts and Penn. Nasty weather here for this fall foliage weekend here in upstate NY. Oh well...we had a good one last weekend. At Cornell they call it "Ithacating!"

I've got a couple more essay questions left. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it would be a bad idea to answer all the questions with situations I experienced in only one of my past positions? It was a leadership position that has given me ready answers for all of these questions...

I think that whatever situation gives you the best answers to the questions is best. If they all took place in the same job, then so be it. My answers were mostly from interpersonal life experience situations rather than job related for the most part. To each his/her own, right?

I've got a couple more essay questions left. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether it would be a bad idea to answer all the questions with situations I experienced in only one of my past positions? It was a leadership position that has given me ready answers for all of these questions...

You might want to use more than one position... I wrote two of my essays last year based on one leadership position, but used the others to highlight other experiences that would make me more well-rounded. It seemed to work!

Also, if anyone has any questions about the curriculum, etc. feel free to respond to this message/PM me. I'm only a first year, but I would love to help you any way I can :)

I was wondering when all the Cornell applicants would come out of the woodwork! I'm having trouble with question Di and Dii. What if I liked my solution to my challenge? Shall I come up with a cruddy situation then? These essays are so important too bc no interviews at Cornell :(

Finally submitted my supplemental! :) Still gotta do that dean's certificate, though.

Finally submitted my supplemental! :) Still gotta do that dean's certificate, though.

You have time, n'est-ce pas?:cool: Doesn't have to be due til later

Edit: Submitted mine too! Here I think I'm a day early cuz it's nighttime here in Cali, but it just looks like I waited last minute on my tracking page lol. Then my newly rescued cat jumps on my computer and I thought she screwed up the payment page. >:0

Last edited:
Does anyone know if there is a Dean of Admissions?

The "Director of Admissions" is Jennifer Mailey, while the head of the Admissions Committe is former Dean Smith.

Anyone know if the admissions office is behind on tracking? They have only noted they received one transcript when there should be two. D:

Members don't see this ad :)
almost had a heart attack when i saw the "cornell vet admissions" sender in my inbox...

it was just a newsletter =(

fast forward 1 month plz?

almost had a heart attack when i saw the "cornell vet admissions" sender in my inbox...

I'm not even special enough to get their newsletter apparently :rolleyes:

I actually just got it.. haha. I'm so impatient.

Same here....and I got two copies of it. ;P I was just signing on my e-mail to make sure I wasn't meeting my mentee...I didn't need the shock. The newsletters are always helpful though. I've been receiving them for a while.

hah, i also got two copies.
oahgeeiahgioaeghegih so anxious

Yes, the newsletter had the timeline for admissions, but we already know we'll be hearing in January. It would be so great to get into Cornell, my IS. I live nearby, too, so I wouldn't even have to move! Ithaca is great.

On my tracking page, two of my courses have not been "verified" because they were planned or in-progress. Does anyone else have unverified courses because they hadn't taken them yet at the time of the application?
I didn't receive an email about it and I don't think Cornell requires fall '11 transcripts do they?

Not sure what the page is supposed to say in case of courses still in progress since, in my case, I have already completed all the courses. If no one else on here knows, perhaps you should call Jennifer (admissions director) tomorrow to find out if all is in order. It probably is.

Cornell does not require fall grades per the Newsletter. I just finished my last two pre-reqs this semester ( you can have 12 credits max to be completed before matriculation) and once the office gets those final transcripts they can verify you have all your ducks in a row.

Shooting Jennifer a call/email (and posting the gist here) and getting her spin on it would be nice.

Side note: "early January" cannot come soon enough for me

Cornell does not require fall grades per the Newsletter. I just finished my last two pre-reqs this semester ( you can have 12 credits max to be completed before matriculation) and once the office gets those final transcripts they can verify you have all your ducks in a row.

Shooting Jennifer a call/email (and posting the gist here) and getting her spin on it would be nice.

Side note: "early January" cannot come soon enough for me

Sent an email a week ago bout this. no response yet.

Good luck to all of you guys :) In a few years I'll be doing the same!

Sent an email a week ago bout this. no response yet.

Jennifer must have "sensed" me writing this!

"We don’t require transcripts for the fall semester. *If an applicant is made an offer of admission *or alternate offer they would have until June 15th to submit transcripts to settle any outstanding prerequisite courses."

And she also wished me happy holidays. So nice!

Hi everyone, do any of you know if there is an exact date Cornell emails out admissions decisions? The suspense of admissions decisions is very stressful and it would be nice to be able to count down the days

Hi everyone, do any of you know if there is an exact date Cornell emails out admissions decisions? The suspense of admissions decisions is very stressful and it would be nice to be able to count down the days

I'm not sure if there's an exact date. Last year, accepted students were called during the first week of January; by the first Friday of January, letters were e-mailed out to students. Hopefully you guys will find out soon!

I think that this time next week we should begin to hear from Cornell! If it's a "yes" they phone call us at home earlier in the week. If it's a "no" we'll get an email later in the week. At least that's what seemed to happen last year. Good luck! I hope everyone on SDN gets a phone call early next week!

Looking at last year's thread, calls were made to accepted students as early as Monday 1/3 with emails being sent on Thursday the 6th for all applicants. I will be carrying my phone on me 24/7 come New Year's day.

Area code is 607 as a FYI.

Everyone ready to cling to their phones tomorrow and Wed? :scared:
I'm more than expecting a rejection from Cornell so I am just gonna check it periodically, but best of luck to everyone who has a real chance:laugh:.:xf: :luck::xf:

I can't even remember if I gave them my landline or my cell phone number. I will probably just hang out at home anyway and put away all my holiday decor. Good luck to all the Cornell hopefuls!

i got a call this morning, at a little before 10. he said he had started calling admitted students this morning. so exciting!!! i thought they wouldn't even be open today and wouldn't start calling until tomorrow!

i got a call this morning, at a little before 10. he said he had started calling admitted students this morning. so exciting!!! i thought they wouldn't even be open today and wouldn't start calling until tomorrow!

Oh wow!! Congratulations! I didn't think they would be calling till tomorrow either! That's awesome! Congrats to you!!!! :soexcited::clap::highfive:

Congratulations!!!! So exciting! Do you mind me asking whether you are IS or OOS?

Ahhh! Initiate phone checking panicked frenzy :scared:

Holy poop! Congratulations! :) Hope to hear lots of good things on this thread and the official acceptances thread very soon! I'm not counting on an acceptance from Cornell, but it would certainly be a VERY nice surprise. Good luck, everyone! :luck:

Congrats! Very exciting! Am sticking with my phone like glue now!

Anyone know off-hand what area code we're looking for?

(Duuuuuh sorry! This was clearly answered very recently. Braaaaains!)

Last edited:
Area code should be 607.

Edit: Read the whole thread. Congrats Elizabeth! You've just ignited a powder keg :)

thanks so much guys!!! i'm IS. the area code is 607 but it showed up as restricted. good luck everyone!!!

I'm so confused. I called the admissions office and the message said it was closed until Jan 3. I guess this is not the case? Also does anyone know over how many days they call applicants? aka when can I for sure say "ok I didn't get in"? There may be no definitive answer to that.. this is just nervous ranting.. Good luck to all, and congrats elizabeth!

Could be that the dean is making the calls from home. I'm sure the admissions office is truly closed since everything around here is closed.

Eek! I missed a call from Cornell at 11:30 am. The voicemail said he's going to try me back between 2-3pm. That's a positive sign, right? I'm of course now irrationally assuming they are calling me just to laugh at the applicant who thought he had a chance. Nervous phone clutting...

YAY! thats awesome Elizabeth! congrats girl !!.....im soo nervous i'm anxiously waiting by my cell since I read Elizabeth's post LOL ... good luck to everyone! I also want to know if anyone knows over how many days does the admissions committee call applicants??!

YAY! thats awesome Elizabeth! congrats girl !!.....im soo nervous i'm anxiously waiting by my cell since I read Elizabeth's post LOL ... good luck to everyone! I also want to know if anyone knows over how many days does the admissions committee call applicants??!

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure they were called through Wednesday last year, and then Thursday rejection (and acceptance) letters/emails went out. So I am ASSUMING that if you don't hear by Wednesday night, to expect a rejection Thursday email, or for your snail mail to be sent out then.

But vet schools have minds of their owns and that was only what happened last year... you can never be sure!

Last year, phone calls started on the first Monday of the year and continued through Thursday, with letters being e-mailed to everyone on Friday. You only got a phone call if you were definitely in - they do not call waitlisted or rejected students. I'm pretty sure Dean Smith does all the calls himself, so that's why it takes a few days.

Good luck to everyone, and congratulations elizabeth22!!!

So I got the return call, and I'm in! I also received a follow-up email from the Dean saying that we should expect a formal email acceptance later this week, "probably Thursday," so maybe that's when all the decisions will be sent out. Good luck to everyone waiting, congats to elizabeth22. I hope to see you all in the fall!