Program-Specific Info / Q's Creighton OTD fall 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed on March 4th and just got an email that the campus pathway is currently full, but there are still spots available in the GO pathway! So I'll be submitting a supplemental application to that :) Has anyone else heard back today from the March 4th interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if Creighton gives out acceptances without interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a letter saying I was chosen as an alternate. At least it wasn't a straight up rejection i guess!

Did you end up hearing back from Creighton about moving off the waiting list? And when did yo interview?

Is there a Facebook group or anything started for admitted students? It would be helpful to talk with other admitted students about different things before making a decision on accepting my admission
Did you ever end up finding a Facebook group for admitted students?!

I interviewed on March 4th and just got an email that the campus pathway is currently full, but there are still spots available in the GO pathway! So I'll be submitting a supplemental application to that :) Has anyone else heard back today from the March 4th interview?
I interviewed on March 4th and called them after seeing your post. I was told that all decisions had not yet been made and it would be another 2 weeks. :confused:

I got into one of the distance pathways. I know most on here applied to a campus pathway, but I was impressed with what I heard about the program (even for the distance pathway.. and was pleased to see that the students all seemed to be close) and am very happy to have been admitted. Good luck, all!

Reactions: 1 user
I recently received my acceptance to Creighton, however I have decided to attend another program. Hopefully one of you guys on the wait-list gets some good news soon! :)

Has anyone from this cycle moved up from the waiting list?

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting post. Congrats to those who were accepted! Creighton is a wonderful school, my sister went here for undergrad in Nursing. I am interested in the OT field, but did not apply to Creighton, because tuition is over $135,000 correct? Seems outrageous to me! All other schools I applied were under $70,000 tuition! I feel like OT's should not have to take out as many student loans as Dentists/Lawyers! Could someone explain to me why schools like Creighton and Drake University are worth the cost? Yes it is a Dr. degree compared to the master's that I was accepted into, but a chair of an OT program told me that Dr degree's in OT are not paid much more at all (if anything!) I feel like the average OT salary of $60-80,000 does not justify this amount of tuition!

Also what about those who have undergrad loans as well?? I feel like you would have student loans for 20-25 years after you finish!

I was accepted to Creighton but will not be attending due to finances. You are correct that there is no pay difference between people who have a masters versus entry level doctorate. I know a friend who is going to Creighton's OT program because she is more interested in research and academia (after some experience in the field of course)and therefore wants to get her doctorate for that reason (but she is still planning on getting her PhD as entry level doctorate is NOT equivalent to PhD). I think it depends on what students want and some students may only be admitted to schools like Creighton who have high tuition. It is a great program that came highly recommended to me by various health professionals but I have to agree the cost is cringe worthy. However, the school has a lot to offer to students and while it may seem like a poor choice for you, it is a great choice for others!

I was accepted to Creighton but will not be attending due to finances. You are correct that there is no pay difference between people who have a masters versus entry level doctorate. I know a friend who is going to Creighton's OT program because she is more interested in research and academia (after some experience in the field of course)and therefore wants to get her doctorate for that reason (but she is still planning on getting her PhD as entry level doctorate is NOT equivalent to PhD). I think it depends on what students want and some students may only be admitted to schools like Creighton who have high tuition. It is a great program that came highly recommended to me by various health professionals but I have to agree the cost is cringe worthy. However, the school has a lot to offer to students and while it may seem like a poor choice for you, it is a great choice for others!
Have you informed Creighton that you will not be attending? And out of curiosity which program will you be attending?

Have you informed Creighton that you will not be attending? And out of curiosity which program will you be attending?
Yes I notified them shortly after my acceptance in March. I will be attending St. Scholastica instead, they were my top choice.

How did you know that they are full?

The very first post on this page (#3), the person said they received a notice saying that the campus pathway was full and encouraged them to apply for the GO pathway because there were still spots remaining for that. So I told one of my friends to check up on that and see what she needed to do to switch over and apply to that one after interviewing already. I forget exactly what she told me, but she did not get in. She had great grades a good experience so I am sort of assuming that all the spots are filled. But like i said, I could be wrong.

Creighton's expensive tuition no doubt makes me uneasy at times when I think about it. Very uneasy actually.. lol However, it is a doctorate program which I know that the pay difference is not significant right now but I do believe that in the future more doors will be open for someone with an OTD vs. an MOT, therefore you would get paid more. But it really depends on what you want to do with your degree and what career you envision for yourself. I could see myself possibly teaching or being in an administrative type position working at a university, being in charge of a department with MOT's/COTA's working under me, or even getting into research although that doesn't particularly interest me right now. I feel like with an MOT, I would get stuck doing clinical stuff my whole career with no solid opportunity to advance. I definitely want to work in a clinical setting and work directly with patients but not for my whole career.

So just to wrap up my 2 cents here, Creighton has a top 15 OT program and I am hoping that after I bust out these next 3 years I will not have to worry much about locking down a job in whatever state I end up at, and have the opportunity to advance in the career without having to consider going back to school after being out of school for a decade.

Reactions: 1 user
Creighton's expensive tuition no doubt makes me uneasy at times when I think about it. Very uneasy actually.. lol However, it is a doctorate program which I know that the pay difference is not significant right now but I do believe that in the future more doors will be open for someone with an OTD vs. an MOT, therefore you would get paid more. But it really depends on what you want to do with your degree and what career you envision for yourself. I could see myself possibly teaching or being in an administrative type position working at a university, being in charge of a department with MOT's/COTA's working under me, or even getting into research although that doesn't particularly interest me right now. I feel like with an MOT, I would get stuck doing clinical stuff my whole career with no solid opportunity to advance. I definitely want to work in a clinical setting and work directly with patients but not for my whole career.

So just to wrap up my 2 cents here, Creighton has a top 15 OT program and I am hoping that after I bust out these next 3 years I will not have to worry much about locking down a job in whatever state I end up at, and have the opportunity to advance in the career without having to consider going back to school after being out of school for a decade.
I would just like to add that there is room and opportunity for MOT graduates to go beyond the clinical field in administrative areas, if they are willing to work for it. Just having a doctorate over MOT would mean nothing if one person has experience in administrative health care. I see many people getting their doctorate to pursue academic jobs and research eventually which is great! And also to note on your comment that there might be a pay difference in the future is sort of a hopeful statement. Current OT's that have just their bachelors in OT (as a masters degree did not use to be required) are paid the same as OT's with their masters. If the field moves forward and eventually requires a doctorate, the OT's who previously received their masters are very unlikely to receive less pay for that reason. I haven't heard of anyone suggesting that there will eventually be a significant pay difference, in fact all the OTs who I worked with are encouraging MOT because there isn't for those who would like to work in s clinical setting. As Juliana stated, entry level doctorate programs, like creighton, are not equivalent to a PhD. There isn't too much of a difference between MOT and doctorate at this point in time. Usually doctorate level programs tend to add a few areas worth discussing, but are not necessary essential for every students need (i.e. Research). This is by no means meant to bash Creighton or its reputation! I've heard wonderful things about the program and opportunities for their students! I just wanted to add in that getting a doctorate does not mean you will have more opportunities and more pay in the future, as the two degrees are not that different and one is not better than the other. It truly depends on what you want out of this field and the experience you gain.

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else waitlisted at Creighton who was interviewed?