CSU c/o 2019 applicants, where y'at?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I hope you guys get accepted! We will be classmates :)

Thank you, me too, I would love to go to CSU!!! Are you doing the DVM-PhD program?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! I'm in grad school this year, and starting vet school next fall. And super excited about it!

Members don't see this ad :)
@ Middle-EarthDVM, I'm on both the sponsored & nonsponsored list. I am a CO resident. :)
The sponsored list moves barely at all & some years, not at all. :(

@ Middle-EarthDVM, I'm on both the sponsored & nonsponsored list. I am a CO resident. :)
The sponsored list moves barely at all & some years, not at all. :(
I hope you get a sponsored spot!!!! If you don't mind me asking, what area of CO do you live in? Have you been to CSU or their CVM before?

I hope you get a sponsored spot!!!! If you don't mind me asking, what area of CO do you live in? Have you been to CSU or their CVM before?

Thanks!! Much appreciated! :)

I live in Fort Collins & am a CSU student.

Yeah, here we go again!

Soooo who got accepted??? I received my offer on December 19th and accepted the offer. Who else is out there?

Soooo who got accepted??? I received my offer on December 19th and accepted the offer. Who else is out there?
I haven't heard of anyone else that accepted yet. Just us so far. Hopefully soon! :)

yeah, so I officially start the PVM program this fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
I accepted my offer on my birthday as a gift to myself! Hello cohort buddies =]

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else get an email instructing you to see the status update in the yellow box?
I don't see a yellow box??

I called Janet, she didn't have any info. Told me to email dvm admissions & ask about it.
Just about had a heart attack when I saw my status had been updated since I thought maybe I'd gotten off the alternate list. My heart was pounding sooo hard. Then I saw nothing had changed......

I called Janet, she didn't have any info. Told me to email dvm admissions & ask about it.
Just about had a heart attack when I saw my status had been updated since I thought maybe I'd gotten off the alternate list. My heart was pounding sooo hard. Then I saw nothing had changed......

I thought I had been taken off too, I'm like heartbroken now.

Well that was a let down...my status has been posted for months, why send an email now? Here is the response email i got.

"Thank you for your interest in the veterinary program at Colorado State University. I apologize about the confusion. The email was not supposed to indicate that there was a box to click on but rather a narrative describing your alternate status.

Again, I apologize about the confusion and please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Tiffany"

Well that was a let down...my status has been posted for months, why send an email now? Here is the response email i got.

"Thank you for your interest in the veterinary program at Colorado State University. I apologize about the confusion. The email was not supposed to indicate that there was a box to click on but rather a narrative describing your alternate status.

Again, I apologize about the confusion and please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Tiffany"
I just got the same exact message. Not sure why the email would explicitly indicate there was an update with a special box and link if actually nothing had changed...so annoyed

@ heymikki ugh!! They don't know what they do to us!! Aaaaarrrgghhh!!

Haha ya looks like someone messed up today with those emails

They also gave me heart palpitations because they posted the graduate release form was due yesterday. They posted that today. AND the form itself & previous instruction indicate it isn't due till July 15th. Grrrr!!!

Seems like this board can use a cute puppy de-stresser video!

Reactions: 2 users
Thought I would share the good news. I was accepted to CSU!!! I was actually denied and then I got a call yesterday saying I was admitted to their vet prep program. I still move there this fall to obtain residency, but I don't start till next fall. I'm OOS but will get in state tuition. Frankly, this is a sweet deal. I was so let down that I was denied from all my schools, but it looks like things are looking up.

Now I just have to figure out where to live!

Reactions: 1 users
Thought I would share the good news. I was accepted to CSU!!! I was actually denied and then I got a call yesterday saying I was admitted to their vet prep program. I still move there this fall to obtain residency, but I don't start till next fall. I'm OOS but will get in state tuition. Frankly, this is a sweet deal. I was so let down that I was denied from all my schools, but it looks like things are looking up.

Now I just have to figure out where to live!

I got a call this week giving me the same news after I was denied :) I'm 99% sure I'll be accepting the offer. Where are you moving from? I live in NorCal.

I am still on the waitlist for the UAF/CSU combined program, but I figure the chances for that are pretty slim with only 5 out of state spots available. CSU was my top choice so I was really bummed when I didn't get in. My other options are Western, Midwestern, and St. George's University. I am not terribly excited to need to take an extra year of classes, but if it means getting into the DVM program in CO, I'll do it!

I got a call this week giving me the same news after I was denied :) I'm 99% sure I'll be accepting the offer. Where are you moving from? I live in NorCal.

I am still on the waitlist for the UAF/CSU combined program, but I figure the chances for that are pretty slim with only 5 out of state spots available. CSU was my top choice so I was really bummed when I didn't get in. My other options are Western, Midwestern, and St. George's University. I am not terribly excited to need to take an extra year of classes, but if it means getting into the DVM program in CO, I'll do it!

I am moving from Oregon! I actually just relocated here from Ohio for a job/vet school but I guess I have to move again. My concern is trying to afford housing. Getting a job may prove difficult out of state. I am entirely self supported so I will have to figure something out. Since classes don't start till the spring I hope I can find a place to make enough money short term.

I am moving from Oregon! I actually just relocated here from Ohio for a job/vet school but I guess I have to move again. My concern is trying to afford housing. Getting a job may prove difficult out of state. I am entirely self supported so I will have to figure something out. Since classes don't start till the spring I hope I can find a place to make enough money short term.

Hey! I was in a bit of a similar position when I moved out from Jersey... What type of jobs/sector are you looking in? There seems to be a bunch of different things you can do out in Fort Collins (with a bachelor's degree). I got a job teaching/test prep that helps pay some bills. Or are you looking for more of a salaried position?

oh cool! Oregon was one of my top choices but I didn't get in. Yea I have the same concern as far as a job and housing... especially since I'll be bringing my 4 cats so on-campus housing isn't an option, and it may be tricky finding roommates that are ok with that many pets haha

Hey! I was in a bit of a similar position when I moved out from Jersey... What type of jobs/sector are you looking in? There seems to be a bunch of different things you can do out in Fort Collins (with a bachelor's degree). I got a job teaching/test prep that helps pay some bills. Or are you looking for more of a salaried position?

I have a BS in Physiology and Neuroscience, and so far have been working as a vet assistant... but I imagine vet assisting jobs are difficult to get with so many veterinary students in the area. I also work as a cocktail waitress on the side to make extra cash, so I guess I could look into that... but if I could avoid having to work in a restaurant that would be fabulous- the service industry sucks!!! haha In the past I have worked at a doggy daycare and as a pet sitter, but neither paid much. Any suggestions?

I would suggest checking Craigslist for vet assistant jobs, I've seen quite a few on there. I moved out to CO in Aug from Southern CA to establish residency, and while I was lucky to keep my full time job, I got my part time job off of Craigslist.

I took my name off the oos alternate list today, goodluck everyone!

So, I'm on the OOS alternate list and am wondering if anyone knows how long we will be given to make a decision (on the spot, a couple days, a week?!) If they call/email? I have been accepted elsewhere so I will need to accept an offer, but I still have strong feelings for CSU.

Btw if there are any CSU future or present students from Florida, or anyone who had/has to chose between CSU and UF, I'd love to ask you some questions :)

You're probably be notified April 15 or thereafter and CSU will give you two weeks to decide. They will call you when they have a spot or at least that's what they did last year. They are in the process of changing the associate dean of admissions so I'm not sure if the new one is the same protocol with the calling as Dr. Hardy, the previous associate dean. They'll follow with the letter shortly thereafter and your portal will also change to indicate that you've been offered a spot. It's highly unlikely that they'll call you before April 15 that's when all the movement happens for the OOS list. Is Florida you're in state? If so I would recommend going there and saving money. Congrats!!

Last edited:

I've been looking really anywhere. I would ideally like to work in a vet clinic. I am a tech now at a clinic in Oregon and I love it. The doctors really create a lot of teachable moments for me and I enjoy learning, but working at the same time. Alternatively, I could look at something in the nonprofit sector. I have been working in federal/state child welfare policy for the past several years, but those organizations don't exist really in Fort Collins. I was hoping to find something slightly animal related. I have 5 years experience as a pet store manager and I've worked in a zoo. There has to be something! I really just want to make ends meet though, at least until next spring/summer when I might have additional scholarships/loans from school.

Calling all past, present, and future CSU vets! I am interested in wildlife medicine and would love it if you could share your opinions on CSU's strengths (or weaknesses) in this area. I am trying to find a way to visit the school, but it does not look like I will be able to so I'm heavily relying on talking to people and looking up information online atm.

Calling all past, present, and future CSU vets! I am interested in wildlife medicine and would love it if you could share your opinions on CSU's strengths (or weaknesses) in this area. I am trying to find a way to visit the school, but it does not look like I will be able to so I'm heavily relying on talking to people and looking up information online atm.

I'm actually interested in wildlife medicine too. It seems like they do some work with the oneHealth initiative but I'd love to hear others' responses about work they've done there.

@Pongidae there is a Facebook group now for the incoming potential CSU VetPrep class to get everyone acquainted! If you want to message me a link to your fb profile or something I can add you to the group if you haven't been added already. There are several prior vetpreppers in the group as well to help answer any questions

I visited CSU yesterday since I've been in the area over spring break and I'm waitlisted for the DVM-MPH program. I'm mostly like accepting one of my offers from elsewhere, but I thought some of this info about the DVM-MPH program might help other applicants (current or future):

- The Public Health school is relatively new (<10 years old), so the dual program is obviously new too, but the program is growing rapidly

- If admitted you begin the MPH portion of the program first. You will take MPH classes the fall, spring, and summer of Year 0 (the year before you start vet school). Usually that summer before DVM Year 1 you will do a culminating project. It's not really a thesis... it's more of an applied project (this differs from typical MS degrees... MPHs are applied degrees whereas MSs and PhDs are research degrees). You can doing a research project in line with a specific professor or with an organization like the USDA who needs data collected or some kind of project. You will write a paper on the project, make a poster, and present in a symposium.
*If you were to pursue the MPH after vet school, it would be a two-year degree. Currently vets from the armed forces getting these degrees in the MPH program and the army is paying for them to do it. I asked if maybe the CDC or USDA or whatever did anything like that, but they haven't had that happen at CSU yet (doesn't mean it doesn't happen elsewhere, just fyi).

- After you finish Year 0, you enter DVM Year 1 and do vet school like normal. You do not take any more classes as an MPH student. Now you are just using certain class credit from the DVM curriculum to count back towards the MPH. Usually you have enough approved credits by your DVM Year 2 to have completed the credit requirement of the MPH to be awarded the degree.

- They usually get about 20-30 applications to the combined DVM-MPH program. Five people are offered admission, and about five people are put on a waitlist. Currently, one student has already declined the offer, so they offered admission to the first person on the waitlist, who I believe accepted it. Not sure where I am of those five people, but it still goes to show there is movement even before the April 15th deadline.

They were pretty nice about setting up tours of the first year facilities and getting a meeting with the MPH advisor. The Veterinary Teaching Hospital is undergoing a lot of renovation construction right now and the large animal hospital is restricted for biosecurity, so not the best tour, but it was still great to talk to some third years. The curriculum appears to be full with a lot of really cool opportunities. Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to fellow waitlisters.

I visited CSU yesterday since I've been in the area over spring break and I'm waitlisted for the DVM-MPH program. I'm mostly like accepting one of my offers from elsewhere, but I thought some of this info about the DVM-MPH program might help other applicants (current or future):

- The Public Health school is relatively new (<10 years old), so the dual program is obviously new too, but the program is growing rapidly

- If admitted you begin the MPH portion of the program first. You will take MPH classes the fall, spring, and summer of Year 0 (the year before you start vet school). Usually that summer before DVM Year 1 you will do a culminating project. It's not really a thesis... it's more of an applied project (this differs from typical MS degrees... MPHs are applied degrees whereas MSs and PhDs are research degrees). You can doing a research project in line with a specific professor or with an organization like the USDA who needs data collected or some kind of project. You will write a paper on the project, make a poster, and present in a symposium.
*If you were to pursue the MPH after vet school, it would be a two-year degree. Currently vets from the armed forces getting these degrees in the MPH program and the army is paying for them to do it. I asked if maybe the CDC or USDA or whatever did anything like that, but they haven't had that happen at CSU yet (doesn't mean it doesn't happen elsewhere, just fyi).

- After you finish Year 0, you enter DVM Year 1 and do vet school like normal. You do not take any more classes as an MPH student. Now you are just using certain class credit from the DVM curriculum to count back towards the MPH. Usually you have enough approved credits by your DVM Year 2 to have completed the credit requirement of the MPH to be awarded the degree.

- They usually get about 20-30 applications to the combined DVM-MPH program. Five people are offered admission, and about five people are put on a waitlist. Currently, one student has already declined the offer, so they offered admission to the first person on the waitlist, who I believe accepted it. Not sure where I am of those five people, but it still goes to show there is movement even before the April 15th deadline.

They were pretty nice about setting up tours of the first year facilities and getting a meeting with the MPH advisor. The Veterinary Teaching Hospital is undergoing a lot of renovation construction right now and the large animal hospital is restricted for biosecurity, so not the best tour, but it was still great to talk to some third years. The curriculum appears to be full with a lot of really cool opportunities. Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to fellow waitlisters.

Also just want to add that the combined MPH students, during their first year in school, have the option to take two veterinary courses in the fall (Immunology and research methods), and in the spring, nutrition and food animal production. I sit next to some of them in lecture, because I'm also auditing these courses. Cool program! :)

Hey! I know they dont, as of now, have a specific exotics track. But, they do offer 3-4 electives in exotic animal medicine that you can start taking your freshmen year/spring. The coordinator said that essentially gives you the background you need to do post-graduation work with exotics/apply for further positions. Additionally, my roommate (interested in exotics) also shadows an exotics veterinarian at the teaching hospital once per week. There is also an exotics/wildlife medicine club.

If you are interested in wildlife research, CSU has a bunch of interesting projects going on in the different CVMBS departments, and faculty seem pretty willing to let students jump in and learn/help/research. Perhaps look at the faculty bios to get an idea of who is doing what?

Finally, there is also the partnership with Alaska-Fairbanks. This opens up more research/wildlife work to veterinary students here too, especially as parts of different summer programs.

I hope this helps a little! :)

I've been looking really anywhere. I would ideally like to work in a vet clinic. I am a tech now at a clinic in Oregon and I love it. The doctors really create a lot of teachable moments for me and I enjoy learning, but working at the same time. Alternatively, I could look at something in the nonprofit sector. I have been working in federal/state child welfare policy for the past several years, but those organizations don't exist really in Fort Collins. I was hoping to find something slightly animal related. I have 5 years experience as a pet store manager and I've worked in a zoo. There has to be something! I really just want to make ends meet though, at least until next spring/summer when I might have additional scholarships/loans from school.
Sorry for the delayed reply! On the bright side, there does seem to be a large veterinary sector in Fort Collins, and ton of little private hospitals. Perhaps contacting them could help? The town is very animal friendly, and I think you could probably find a decent job in this sector. Also, maybe looking for employment through CSU and the VTH? That way, you could get the dual benefit of meeting future faculty/staff you will be working with in veterinary school?

If it also interests you, there are jobs in the teaching/tutoring sector. I've worked in this area for the past few years, and it has been steady in Fort Collins (as is any college town I guess! haha). There are also a lot of high-income families with high school students that need tutors, so the test prep sector could be a good place to look.

Anyone on here have any insight or experience with the CSU toxicology non-thesis masters program? Considering applying.

I'm actually interested in wildlife medicine too. It seems like they do some work with the oneHealth initiative but I'd love to hear others' responses about work they've done there.
I was called by Dr. Hardy last Friday and offered the VetPrep program as well!!! I am trying to decide between my in-state (UF) and CSU. I really wish I could get out to Ft. Collins and view the area and school. As of right now my only option would be to drive from Florida because plane tickets are too expensive and I would have to take off the same amount of time for work. The additional year before starting the DVM program has a lot of pros for me because I graduated in May 2013, but at the same time I know I will be fine jumping into a program this spring. I will be moving with my boyfriend and 2 kitties, so housing will be difficult no matter where I end up. My boyfriend is also a pre-vet and will be applying this summer, so where ever we end up will be his top choice as well (which also means the vet prep program has an additional advantage!).

@Pongidae there is a Facebook group now for the incoming potential CSU VetPrep class to get everyone acquainted! If you want to message me a link to your fb profile or something I can add you to the group if you haven't been added already. There are several prior vetpreppers in the group as well to help answer any questions
Can you message me the link to the FB page as well?!

Anyone on here have any insight or experience with the CSU toxicology non-thesis masters program? Considering applying.
From what I heard, someone told me it was a lot of coursework, and a bit overwhelming. But, they feel it will help them adjust to the large course load of veterinary school the following year! It is one year long I believe. I would ask CSU if this gives you a chance to establish Colorado residency, because that would significantly lower the cost of attending veterinary school here.

I went through that program. It was ok. Expensive and needs more hands on opportunities. Depends on what your wanting to do, though. If your wanting to quickly increase your GPA for vet school, it may be what you're looking for. I wouldn't go into the Tox program, if I had it to do again, to be honest. Wish I could give the program a glowing review, but meh, cannot. On the other side, a lot of my classmates made it into various professional schools who probably wouldn't have without the MS degree.

Last edited:
From what I heard, someone told me it was a lot of coursework, and a bit overwhelming. But, they feel it will help them adjust to the large course load of veterinary school the following year! It is one year long I believe. I would ask CSU if this gives you a chance to establish Colorado residency, because that would significantly lower the cost of attending veterinary school here.

If I go to CSU it will be through the VetPrep program, so I will already be establishing residency through that before beginning the veterinary program :) However, VetPrep courses don't begin until Spring semester, so you have the option of doing the tox masters program and beginning courses in Fall instead. Yea I have also been told that it's a good preparation for the amount of work in the vet program, which is a big part of why I am considering it. I have heard mixed reviews though, and supposedly according to Dr. Hardy students who complete the tox masters don't perform any better or worse in the veterinary program. That being said, I gather that they still seem to have to study a bit less in some courses to achieve the same results.

I went through that program. It was ok. Expensive and needs more hands on opportunities. Depends on what your wanting to do, though. If your wanting to quickly increase your GPA for vet school, it may be what you're looking for. I wouldn't go into the Tox program, if I had it to do again, to be honest. Wish I could give the program a glowing review, but meh, cannot. On the other side, a lot of my classmates made it into various professional schools who probably wouldn't have without the MS degree.

That's so interesting- I've heard such mixed opinions from people who have done the tox program! If you don't mind me asking, when did you take it? I'm assuming it is heavily chemistry based? Kind of dreading that aspect haha- I will be guaranteed a spot in the vet program for the following year (assuming I maintain a 3.0), so I don't need it in order to boost my GPA or get into schools or anything. If I do it, it would simply be to put my extra Fall semester in the VetPrep program to good use, and perhaps make me a more competitive candidate in the future for internships. For those purposes, I'm debating whether it's worth it or not.