CSU c/o 2020 applicants, y'all ready for this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Fairbanks is number three in the nation! Alaska as a whole state is the worst state in the nation for rape! Now, I totally understand that there are a ton of factors that go into it, as well. If my boyfriend wasn't going to move with me to vet school, I would have applied for it.

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you for the detailed explanation @MuskOx14 ! It sounds super interesting! Does the relative lack of wind chill help it feel less cold during the colder parts of the year? I don't know if I could deal with living in those dry cabins, without the convenience of warm water :p

With such a small number of seats I know I'd have to be extremely lucky to make it in, but it's still fun to hope! I can't wait to hear back on the combined programs, maybe within the next couple weeks since they expect mid-December? :xf:

There has been progress! If your VMCAS application has been received the SA is being reviewed by the admissions committee. Still no changes to the time line though.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Lack of wind chill helps. You can gear up pretty heavily and stay warm without wind blowing and cutting through all your layers. But when it is even slightly windy it is the absolute worst! The temperature will fluctuate. It normal will hover between 10F and -20F then it will dip down to -40 for a few days before coming back up. You learn to adjust your clothing choices for functionality. Fairbanks fashion is quite a unique style or lack thereof!

Combined programs should hear back pretty soon! It is nice they let us know earlier than most schools, even with all the VMCAS delays. I think it would be awesome to be able to learn with such a small group. A big lecture hall of 138 sounds so daunting to me!

Reactions: 1 user
@MuskOx14 Your explanation of Fairbanks was really good! I almost applied to the program but ultimately didn't have enough time to put in to a good essay, so I just applied to CSU.
Good luck to everyone that applied to the program! It sounds amazing.

Reactions: 1 users
There has been progress! If your VMCAS application has been received the SA is being reviewed by the admissions committee. Still no changes to the time line though.
For OOS, it looks like we will all be getting either a gift or coal in our stockings this year right before Christmas. Coal will mean we were very very naughty pre-veterinary students, and need to take a year off to think about what we've done (or not done).

The Alaska program did sound super cool! I'm in-state though, so couldn't stomach being relegated to paying OOS tuition all 4 years for that. They did say at the preview day last year that there are opportunities for short-term work and/or study in Alaska for those doing the tradition degree program.

For OOS, it looks like we will all be getting either a gift or coal in our stockings this year right before Christmas. Coal will mean we were very very naughty pre-veterinary students, and need to take a year off to think about what we've done (or not done).

Got my first rejection from CSU on December 22. Very poor timing on their part. lol.

Got my first rejection from CSU on December 22. Very poor timing on their part. lol.
oh fantastic, I can't wait for that! By then I will have already heard from OSU and WSU, and that will finish off my favorite holiday, lol.

Did you do a folder review? Do they even offer that?

I did a folder review the following July with the then dean Dr. Hardy.

oh fantastic, I can't wait for that! By then I will have already heard from OSU and WSU, and that will finish off my favorite holiday, lol.

Don't be too bummed! The second year I got my rejection December 5th! So it might change!

I did a folder review the following July with the then dean Dr. Hardy.

Don't be too bummed! The second year I got my rejection December 5th! So it might change!

What if your OOS? I love the timing, let's ruin your Christmas cheer with some rejection... If you don't mind me asking what have you done to improve your application? I have my fingers crossed for you this cycle!

What if your OOS? I love the timing, let's ruin your Christmas cheer with some rejection... If you don't mind me asking what have you done to improve your application? I have my fingers crossed for you this cycle!

I have no idea what they do if you're OOS. I would imagine they do it over the phone. She went through my application as the admissions committee sees it, which was awesome.

As far as fixing my application, it's pretty hit or miss. I've definitely improved my hours of experience (my first application only had 135 vet; now it's 1100 or 1200). But my grades are not the best and are my biggest weakness by far. There's been a lot of back and forth between great semesters and poor semesters the last few years and CSU looks at grades through a progressive lens, meaning they see how you do semester by semester rather than cumulative. Since I keep going back and forth from 3.0 semesters to 3.5 and back to 3.0, it doesn't look hot. I'm thinking if I don't get in this time around, I'm going to go into an online masters program (which will also help my job prospects if I decide to bow out of vet med), and do well in those.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no idea what they do if you're OOS. I would imagine they do it over the phone. She went through my application as the admissions committee sees it, which was awesome.

As far as fixing my application, it's pretty hit or miss. I've definitely improved my hours of experience (my first application only had 135 vet; now it's 1100 or 1200). But my grades are not the best and are my biggest weakness by far. There's been a lot of back and forth between great semesters and poor semesters the last few years and CSU looks at grades through a progressive lens, meaning they see how you do semester by semester rather than cumulative. Since I keep going back and forth from 3.0 semesters to 3.5 and back to 3.0, it doesn't look hot. I'm thinking if I don't get in this time around, I'm going to go into an online masters program (which will also help my job prospects if I decide to bow out of vet med), and do well in those.

I'm hoping they would still do them for OOS students. My GPA is on the weak side and also fluctuated each semester, but I had different amount of credit hours each semester and based on that the hours at my 2 jobs fluctuated as well, but I was always working at least 20 hours while taking at least 12 credit hours... I'm hoping they look at that. Keep your head up! I'm sure they see you making the changes they have told you about.

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty…" -Theodore Roosevelt

I hope my GPA stuff doesn't look too bad at CSU because of their per-semester system. I only have 2 really bad semesters (the first being my entry semester, in which I also worked 18-20 hours, and the second being the spring prior to graduating in which I had a health issue and missed important classes etc.)...that second one sucks because it still shows up in my last 45 GPA (an F brings it down by a LOT) and I think that's what really messed up my ranking at LSU. But other than that fluke semester I have a pretty much upward trend in my undergrad, 4.0 in my final sem, then a few B's in the post-bacc prereqs so far (most likely gonna earn an A in this current one).

I hope they look at you kindly Dev.

I get such confused feelings when I look at posts like that. I had a few semesters with grades that make me sad, but the least I ever worked was around 18 hours and I was in band and soccer at that point. One of my best semesters of undergrad, I was just in choir but worked 35 hours/week. I was hoping they would understand that 20 hours is still a big deal with 17 credits. Based on your post and others... I hope so.

I hope they look at you kindly Dev.

I get such confused feelings when I look at posts like that. I had a few semesters with grades that make me sad, but the least I ever worked was around 18 hours and I was in band and soccer at that point. One of my best semesters of undergrad, I was just in choir but worked 35 hours/week. I was hoping they would understand that 20 hours is still a big deal with 17 credits. Based on your post and others... I hope so.

It's really hard to say. From my sophomore to senior year, I worked between 20 and 30 hours a week while averaging 17.5 credit hours a semester and its been two rejections so far. They look at it, but it isn't a huge consideration in my opinion.

Oh, to have been one of those kids that due to parents, scholarships or other reasons didn't have to work my ass off through school... I'm sure it comes with it's own challenges, but my apps say it might have been nice...

Oh, to have been one of those kids that due to parents, scholarships or other reasons didn't have to work my ass off through school... I'm sure it comes with it's own challenges, but my apps say it might have been nice...

Man, if I hadn't had one of my jobs (convenience store since RA paid for my room), I would have had more time to do better. But I wanted to graduate without debt.

I had strange problems that screwed with my ability to get both loans and scholarships so I had to work to pay for school just to stay in. Looking back, I should have changed schools or taken the bank job or hell, even taken the stripper job ;) just to take some of the stress off. I should have become emancipated or researched my background more or figured out the military blackmail loophole thing (that sounds worse than I mean it too... dad=special ops, no active duty on record= no scholarship for kids but when recruiting me they pull up his active duty report, so gotta jump through a crap ton of hoops to make them get trapped into admitting there is an active duty record...)

Anyway, in hindsight, things could have been different. But oh well. I wouldn't be me now if things had been easy. Right?

going nuts waiting on a response.... blah!

So it's December first....which is basically like mid to late December so we should be hearing soon yea? :rofl:

Reactions: 7 users
I hopped on the CSU website to read the document about how the admissions committee evaluates apps, which lead me to past statistics, which lead me to laugh at how far below my experiences hours are compared to last years' admitted class.

Hope I stand a chance.

I hopped on the CSU website to read the document about how the admissions committee evaluates apps, which lead me to past statistics, which lead me to laugh at how far below my experiences hours are compared to last years' admitted class.

Hope I stand a chance.

I feel it. I'm slightly below the statistics but I applied for a dual program in which one portion I have 12 years experience so I'm really hoping that helps :cool:

This is my fourth year applying to the program... Hopefully this year I have done enough changes to get in to either the UAF/ CSU program, highly unlikely because I am from Colorado, or hopefully hopefully I get into CSU. I also applied to Kansas State University and received an interview, so first big break in this whole process.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know when combined program decisions were released last year? I just keep logging on like every hour when I have the chance. Me= Crazy o_O

This is my fourth year applying to the program... Hopefully this year I have done enough changes to get in to either the UAF/ CSU program, highly unlikely because I am from Colorado, or hopefully hopefully I get into CSU. I also applied to Kansas State University and received an interview, so first big break in this whole process.

Yay! A fellow reapplicant from Colorado! This is my third year for CSU (and Kansas for that matter). Are you up in FoCo, or elsewhere? If you look up the C/O 2019 thread, you'll be able to see when people received info. I was a normal applicant last year and got my rejection on the 5th. So I would expect you to be hearing in the next few weeks.

I live in Elizabeth, CO right now but I graduated from Colorado State University in 2012. I received my rejection last year around the 20th for the regular pool, I keep making it to the last day and then getting a sharp poke in the eye. But hopefully this year I get better news.
Yay! A fellow reapplicant from Colorado! This is my third year for CSU (and Kansas for that matter). Are you up in FoCo, or elsewhere? If you look up the C/O 2019 thread, you'll be able to see when people received info. I was a normal applicant last year and got my rejection on the 5th. So I would expect you to be hearing in the next few weeks.

Did you guys do a file review? Why were you rejected if you don't mind me asking

This is my 3rd time applying to CSU and my 4th for vet school in general, but my first app was in 2006, if that helps explain why I sometimes think out of date info is still relevant. I also have no sense of time, so I do not swear to these dates because I am not referencing anything but faulty memory.

Prior years, my review has been:

1) You have more vet experience and work experience than almost all our applicants, Your GREs are better than 80%, Your essays are incredibly well written and while you have good reasons for it, your undergrad grades sucked. I actually got into an argument with other committee members over you and another student. Just take some classes without working so much and we'll get you in. -2006 CSU (alternate at WSU)

2) No. - WSU 2008
It will be difficult for you to get accepted anywhere with your undergrad grades. I suggest you enter one of our MS programs and prove you can get As. I know it was a difficult decision because everything else on your app is amazing! CSU 2008:sorry:

- applied to MS... 3 weeks after the decision deadline get a call: We felt we needed to call you personally. We have decided not to admit you this year. The committee fought so hard over this that the decision was passed on to a secondary and than a 3rd committee. Eventually we decided that if the vote was so controversial that we tied in 3 committees that we should not admit you this year. We wanted to call to tell you not to give up hope because we nearly admitted you but the decision was made by the equivalent of a coin toss.:arghh:

-So, I went to school at UIdaho, made my own program up. Attended a national competition for them and got a 4.0 and 3.8 (I missed 2 tests at the competition and the prof only told me about 1...oops)
-moved to CO
-retook GREs (managed not to fall asleep this time)
- Had a kid with a lot of medical care

3) While your undergrad grades hindered you, you did demonstrate ability to do well in upper division science courses... but we don't know how rigorous those courses were compared to our standards so you should just enroll here for an MS. And with your daughter, you probably don't have time for schooling or the profession. You might consider becoming a stay at home mom and devote your time to the right place. CSU 2013? o_O...:mad:...:(

Enrolled in the MS, LOVED it! 3.7 GPA, Gave birth to my 2nd over Spring break... Here comes:

4)...:xf:

Reactions: 5 users
And with your daughter, you probably don't have time for schooling or the profession. You might consider becoming a stay at home mom and devote your time to the right place.
latest

Reactions: 13 users
I know this is kind of the wrong thread to ask this but since it's come up, what all is involved in requesting a file review (for out-of-staters)? Do you just call them, or have to set up a phone appointment, or? This is only my first attempt so I'm unfamiliar...only confirmed rejected from LSU so far and that was in the first round objective/OOS applicant ranking, so I don't think any review is needed there, it's my grades.

Wow @LadyOtheFarm props to you for sticking with it. It seems as if you got the run around for a few years, doing exactly what they asked, and getting rejected again and again. Show them what you got ;)

I live in Elizabeth, CO right now but I graduated from Colorado State University in 2012. I received my rejection last year around the 20th for the regular pool, I keep making it to the last day and then getting a sharp poke in the eye. But hopefully this year I get better news.

Aurora myself, though I did my horseback riding training out towards Elizabeth. Wish I could convince my boyfriend that living out in that area is awesome. lol. Here's hoping we do well!

Did you guys do a file review? Why were you rejected if you don't mind me asking

For my file review, they said I was pretty much average across the board except for my undergrad grads (3.3 cGPA) which were low. They look at your performance over time semester by semester, so they recommended that I focus and show improvement over time.

I know this is kind of the wrong thread to ask this but since it's come up, what all is involved in requesting a file review (for out-of-staters)? Do you just call them, or have to set up a phone appointment, or? This is only my first attempt so I'm unfamiliar...only confirmed rejected from LSU so far and that was in the first round objective/OOS applicant ranking, so I don't think any review is needed there, it's my grades.
I think they have a link that pops up both in the decision email and on the Web page for a file review if they reject you. It should have a phone number to call to schedule a in person or over the phone file review. They also send out a form letter every year to rejected applicants that talks about what they were looking for that year and what the stats were for accepted students.

To be fair, I am told that most of the rejected applicants are average or above average students who they didn't have room for. They say they need to get very picky and often there is very little rhyme or reason to one student getting in over another.

Anybody have any great distraction plans over the next 3 weeks?

I'm moving, possibly selling goats:(, doing medical stuff with my kiddo, working and....

Gonna see if my heifer will round pen with a saddle on:p

I'm moving, possibly selling goats:(, doing medical stuff with my kiddo, working and....

Oh noo, I'm sorry you have to sell your goats. :( That doesn't sound very fun. How many/what kind do you have?

I'm actually off to San Francisco for a marine mammal conference!! I'll be in Cali for two whole weeks. Wooo sunshine and warmth here I come :cat:

Me, me!! I've got finals...... :confused:

Oh noo, I'm sorry you have to sell your goats. :( That doesn't sound very fun. How many/what kind do you have?

I'm actually off to San Francisco for a marine mammal conference!! I'll be in Cali for two whole weeks. Wooo sunshine and warmth here I come :cat:

Yikes. It's not that warm here right now. I'm about an hour from San Fran in Davis and its currently 43 degrees with total cloud cover. Rain expected multiple times through the next few weeks, PACK WARM, San Fran is colder as it sits on the bay, Lots of fog and clouds there. But I'm not sure where you're from so maybe 43 degrees is hot in comparison?

I graduated from CSU with a degree in Biomed and Honors. I also particpated in cheerleading and volunteered all four years
They really haven't offered a full file review at CSU, except for I think 2 years ago with Dr. Hardy. I have met with multiple advisors and Dr. Hardy, and have been told the same thing all 4 years "For you it is not a matter of if it is a matter of when." and while that is nice to here, I do not have 100 years to wait. My pre-veterinary advisor recommended I get one more semester of high marks in science classes.
After Year 1: I decided to go back to school for 9 credit hours while working full time, to show my ability to keep my grades trending in the A GPA range. I also started volunteering with a local large animal veterinarian.
After Year 2: I reworked my personal statement and rewrote my explanation statement. I also started volunteering at the wild animal sanctuary. Another sharp poke in the eye.
After year 3: I completely rewrote my personal statement and reworked my explanation statement. I also applied for the UAF/ CSU combined program. I am also applying to Kansas State University and have received an interview.

So Hopefully year 4 has something better in store for me...

This coming week is the week before finals. We have to get the residence halls ready for spring semester and finals week. I also have a funeral to go to so I have to drive 300 miles home then 300 back in 60 hours. The week after is finals week and check out week for fall semester, so got that going on. Then we have graduation that Friday and Star Wars comes out that day. Then we have to kick out everyone left in the dorms on the 20th. Then we go home for a week after. lol.

Like cheddar said, there's no sun or warmth in SF. Usually its pretty nice if you go south of the city to like the San Jose area, but its usually pretty cold and damp in San Fran. It's been colder and more rainy than I can remember for the past few years.

They are Nubians. I moved off my farm in August, but the new one sold. I've been looking, but it's the off season for rentals so nothing available. I sold both my horses and most of my birds. Turkeys are in the freezer, most of the meat rabbits will join soon. A local classmate was gonna take my cow and goats for a few months but decided to tell me last night that he only wants the cow. I don't have any time to market them or find a boarding situation... but I really don't want to bring them to auction, so I'm going to go crazy finding the best possible home (temporary or not). I'm so upset because this was my back up plan... and I've failed my critters... and I'm just gonna go cry some more... and get back to looking for a solution!

just casually stalking last years CSU page trying to gage decision release days. Apparently, phone calls were made to some accepted students? Wonder if this is the same deal this year?

I feel it. I'm slightly below the statistics but I applied for a dual program in which one portion I have 12 years experience so I'm really hoping that helps :cool:

I've been talking to my friend who's a third year, and she told me there's a dude in her class that was admitted with 0 hours of experience. None. Zippo. She keeps telling me not to worry too much because I have a penis.

I have a penis AND I'm in a wheelchair. I might be the diversity wet dream. Still, my hours are super low (~120).

Reactions: 7 users
I've been talking to my friend who's a third year, and she told me there's a dude in her class that was admitted with 0 hours of experience. None. Zippo. She keeps telling me not to worry too much because I have a penis.

I have a penis AND I'm in a wheelchair. I might be the diversity wet dream. Still, my hours are super low (~120).

a diversity vet dream :laugh: thats funny. When I went to my university for orientation (animal science major), the FIRST thing the orientation leader said to us was "dont expect to find your husband here, its almost 95% female." allllllright then, perhaps ill spend some time at the med school too :rofl:

I am also going to the San Fran marine mammalogy conference! Should be a fun distraction!

Everyone who applied for the UAF/CSU program, check your portal! Don't know if all combined program decisions have been posted, but mine is updated. I got denied for a nonsponsored UAF/CSU position, but that's okay, now it's on to regular admissions :xf: