CSU c/o 2020 applicants, y'all ready for this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I just have to laugh a little because all my other schools have received my VMCAS. I know they have been having problems with that elective course entry. It wasn't all that difficult to fill out my courses from 5 different institutions so I did it myself so I'm guessing as of right now paying the extra money to have VMCAS fill it in isn't paying off? Haha

Members don't see this ad.

Well, no, unless I missed something this is a further delay. We were ranting above about a late Nov-early Dec projected date.
Seriously? It's not like I have my life on hold until I hear from them or anything. Grumble, grumble.

It's frustrating that every single school's dates are being pushed back again and again. This isn't the first year of VMCAS so I just don't understand how it is this much of a **** show.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
They ought to find spots for everyone that manages this crap with grace. Like it's the first test of vet school!

I mean this sarcastically so far, but sometimes...

It's frustrating that every single school's dates are being pushed back again and again. This isn't the first year of VMCAS so I just don't understand how it is this much of a **** show.

Also, the VMCAS cycle was actually earlier this year, so I thought that everything else would have been earlier too! I guess I was wrong :/

Good news though, CSU finally has my GRE scores. :highfive:

Reactions: 3 users
I'm still waiting for them to get mine.

Call the CSU Office of Admissions (Not the Vet specific Admissions) 970-491-6909 and double check. They likely have them if you resent them, but they won't show up as received in your CSA until after Thanksgiving. I emailed because mine still weren't showing up and I was thinking I was going to have to send it a third time, they told me to call this number and make sure they had them. CSU CVM has to download them into their system, but they aren't doing a mass download again until after Thanksgiving. :)

My VMCAS was finally received today (11/10)! Hopefully this will mean the process will speed up from here!

How am I just now seeing this thread?? Lol. Is there a site where we can check our status for CSU?

How am I just now seeing this thread?? Lol. Is there a site where we can check our status for CSU?

Just go to the same Colorado State website that you filled out the supplemental and sign in as if you were going to complete your supplemental like before. It will have your already completed application there and you can click on it and reopen it. It will show whether your GRE scores, PPI reports, and VMCAS have been received with a green check or red X!

Just go to the same Colorado State website that you filled out the supplemental and sign in as if you were going to complete your supplemental like before. It will have your already completed application there and you can click on it and reopen it. It will show whether your GRE scores, PPI reports, and VMCAS have been received with a green check or red X!

Thanks!! All green checks... Haven't heard anything from them though!

It says they just received VMCAS application yesterday. It seems somewhat late but hopefully we will still hear something in December!

No problem! Don't worry me either, some previous posts were saying something about hearing Late-November/Early-December. More waiting haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Vmcas (at least in my CSU portal) is now listed as received. Progress, folks, progress :soexcited:

VMCAS received today by CSU. We're on the roll.

Wooo yes! They also received my VMCAS today! :D

Call the CSU Office of Admissions (Not the Vet specific Admissions) 970-491-6909 and double check. They likely have them if you resent them, but they won't show up as received in your CSA until after Thanksgiving. I emailed because mine still weren't showing up and I was thinking I was going to have to send it a third time, they told me to call this number and make sure they had them. CSU CVM has to download them into their system, but they aren't doing a mass download again until after Thanksgiving. :)
Thank you! I will do that.

Anyone else receiving this? I'm worried.

csu.jpg

Reactions: 12 users
I find it suspicious that VMCAS applications have been magically received after I sent VMCAS a "concerned" email yesterday. ;) It's probably just a coincidence. But hooray! Now we're moving forward.

Last edited:
Applying from PA over here! Do us "outsiders" get an interview? I can't find much on their website or this thread but they said they are giving out decisions in December.. decisions to accept/reject or decisions about offering an interview?

Only interviews are for specialty programs unless they really decide they need more info from an applicant (which I've heard of in only 2 situations) otherwise they base decisions on your application and supplemental.

They have been planning to bring back interviews for the last couple years, but plans fell through for this year last I heard.

Applying from PA over here! Do us "outsiders" get an interview? I can't find much on their website or this thread but they said they are giving out decisions in December.. decisions to accept/reject or decisions about offering an interview?
CSU doesn't conduct interviews! They base admission decisions on your application and test scores/PPIs.

I'm also from PA! :) (but going to school in Maine) Where else did you apply?

They have an option to get all the finished apps in a bundle. Apparently that's what they chose. It makes me wonder though, CSU doesn't care about the eLORs, so for those rare few students who didn't do them, is VMCAS smart enough to figure that out. I know both CSU and VMCAS said it would be fine, but sometimes I wonder.

In case nobody's answered this...

VMCAS isn't smart enough, but CSU is. :) I only applied to CSU, so I didn't have to do them. I just filled out the recommender information, and let Janice that was the case. (I had double checked this all with CSU this past spring.) CSU accepts even the "unverified" apps, and I have the green check, so all is well!

heeeeyyy people. Question for yall. I know on CSU's website there is the class statistics page which shows the average GPAs and GREs of individuals who were accepted. Do any of you know if out of state students are held to a higher standard? I ask because I know those out of state students (whom received an interview) for UC DAVIS vet school had significantly higher statistics than the in state students. Im wondering if Colorado, or well, any school for that matter, evaluates out of state applicants more intensely?:pompous:

heeeeyyy people. Question for yall. I know on CSU's website there is the class statistics page which shows the average GPAs and GREs of individuals who were accepted. Do any of you know if out of state students are held to a higher standard? I ask because I know those out of state students (whom received an interview) for UC DAVIS vet school had significantly higher statistics than the in state students. Im wondering if Colorado, or well, any school for that matter, evaluates out of state applicants more intensely?:pompous:
I can answer this the easy way:

About 1 in 6 in state students are accepted and 1 in 30 WICHE students and 1 in 1-200 OOS students. (Per app evaluation session 2 years ago, so if someone has more recent numbers, chime in.)

But yes, due to sheer odds, someone with a few issues on their app is more likely to get accepted as an IS student than OOS student.

It's been a while since I last checked CSU's stats page, but o know many other schools like WSU have the divided rankings for IS, OOS, etc. it's often harder to make it through the first round of cuts as an out of state applicant (I already didn't make it at LSU) but don't get discouraged!

I don't think the OOS odds are *that* dire....looking at last year's stats on CSU's website, 40 were admitted out of 1219 non-sponsored applicants, so it's closer to 1 in 30. Don't despair!

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone seen any updates on the portal besides VMCAS being verified?

Nope. At the top of the portal, at least on mine, it says Dual Program applicants will be notified in mid December and DVM candidates in last December. So I'm anticipating those dates......although I still keep checking my portal multiple times a day like a crazy person :confused:

Reactions: 1 users
Nope. At the top of the portal, at least on mine, it says Dual Program applicants will be notified in mid December and DVM candidates in last December. So I'm anticipating those dates......although I still keep checking my portal multiple times a day like a crazy person :confused:
Mine says the same exact thing. Are you a dual program applicant?

Did any other SDN-er apply for the combined UAF/CSU program? I haven't seen any! (if I get my hopes high enough, I can pretend I have zero competition...)

Reactions: 2 users
Did any other SDN-er apply for the combined UAF/CSU program? I haven't seen any! (if I get my hopes high enough, I can pretend I have zero competition...)
I applied for the UAF/CSU program! I am sure some others are hiding on SDN! I am current UAF student so if you have any questions feel free to ask!

When I first read this I thought you said "I don't understand how it's this much like snowing ****."

Man. I don't wanna live anywhere that snows ****.

I applied for the UAF/CSU program! I am sure some others are hiding on SDN! I am current UAF student so if you have any questions feel free to ask!
ahh, awesome! So as a current student you're going to be a contender for one of the reserved Alaska-sponsored seats! (I forgot how many there are? I guess it depends on the year's applicant pool)

Well, being born and raised in Texas, I have no idea what it's like in Alaska (but would love to have the chance to see it and experience a new environment, touched on this in my essay :p )
So I apologize for such a broad question, but what's it like there in Fairbanks? Climate, culture, activities, the school facilities, etc.

The chance to work with things like Musk Oxen and caribou caught my attention because wildlife and large animals are my main vet med areas of interest :)

what's it like there in Fairbanks? Climate, culture, activities, the school facilities, etc.

Fairbanks is a very unique place! Filled independent, outdoorsy, adventurous, charismatic communities in one big mixing pot. You have the university crowd, hippies, dog mushers, 2 military bases, homesteaders from the middle of nowhere and probably some normal people in there somewhere.

We have huge temperature ranges throughout the year. 90s in the summer and -40 or colder in the dead of winter. You prepare for the cold with a good set of boots and a warm jacket. Everyone plugs in their cars with heaters on the engine block and oil pan so they don't freeze. It is a dry cold with very little wind. The snow is light and sugary almost because of the dryness. No more than a few feet of snow a year. They have a nice ski trail system on campus and it is a fun way to get outside between class when it is still light outside! Sun is setting around 3pm these days, losing 7 minutes of light a day. At solstice we will only get 3 hours and 45 minutes of light.

Campus is set up on a hill over looking town. All of the science buildings are grouped together and the new vet med dept. space is beautiful! They did a great job creating an effective study space, classroom and lab. A lot of work went into setting up the facility, preparing skeletons/models, and hiring awesome faculty. Everyone is very helpful and dedicated to the success of the students, which is encouraging to see. The Large Animal Research Station is where they keep all of the musk ox, caribou and reindeer (and 2 cows for the vet students). It is a great resource for students to learn how to handle both wild and domestic species that you may encounter in Alaska. They have some neat wildlife research projects going on there and in many labs on campus, if you are interested in that sort of thing. Wildlife and research are my main interests :D

Cost of living is pretty high. Mostly notice this in the price of food and gas. Living arrangements can get interesting. They have some on campus apartments (expensive and convenient), off campus apartments (expensive and less convenient) and dry cabins (cheaper and less convenient). Dry cabin living is one of the more interesting gems of Fairbanks cheap student life. Most of Fairbanks has permafrost that makes it very difficult to dig into the ground for a foundation and water/septic system. So instead of doing that, there is an abundance of small cabins that have no water and use an outhouse. You haul your water from town and campus has showers in many buildings or you go to the gym. It is an easy way to get by cheap if you can stand the inconvenience. It sounds a lot worse than it actually is, I think. Worst part for me is doing the dishes and waiting for water to heat up!

10 seats available with preference for Alaskan students for the first 5 seats.

Hope this long explanation gives you a bit of a picture on Fairbanks life! It is an experience for sure!

I actually really wanted to, but I didn't. My boyfriend will move with me to vet school and he does not want to live in Alaska cause he doesn't think he'll get a job. My mother freaked out because of the horrendous rape statistics. So I held back on that. o_O

By the numbers Fairbanks looks like a very sketchy place to live! Domestic violence, air pollution, STDs. It is a the top of a lot of statistical lists!