Dismissed from Medical School at end of 3rd Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I thought so too, but it looks like it's generally true (state dependent).

But regardless, 7 years just to retake step I? At that point it's time to move on and figure out something else to do with your life.

That's what I meant. Uh, no - do something else with your life.

Members don't see this ad.

If it is your passion apply to medical school again but I would also consider what else you want to do with your life if that doesn't work out. There are lots of qualified people applying to medical school every year without the baggage you have so it won't be easy.

Think very carefully about how you explain your situation - you don't want to sound like you are blaming other people and you need to show the admissions people that you have learned and won't repeat your mistakes.

To the OP,

I will reiterate what others have said and suggest that you look at another career. Medicine is a tough path to choose in life and all indications point to it becoming much more demanding and, often, equally frustrating upon the practitioner. Also, the debt component of your narrative will begin to become a real problem once the grace period ends and you must begin pay back. I'm not saying that you're incapable; there becomes a point you have to be realistic with the situation presented to you. Don't let this define your life; to me, it sounds like you want us to give you the advice or opinion that you're seeking but aren't willing to open your mind to suggestions implying that you should move on from medicine.

At this stage in the OP's career, he has no other option than to forge ahead. He has invested too much into the process already to just give up. The OP has to find a way to complete his/her education, no matter what!

How is the OP supposed to pay back his/her ever increasing debt?

Members don't see this ad :)
To answer the original question:

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to get into SGU as a third year.

Let me throw a curve ball...

supposed that i am a MD-PhD student. I matriculated in 2008, take step 1 in 2010, go back to lab the following summer...spend the next 7 years working on my PhD..so, return to my third rotation in 2017, and sit for the board the following year (2018)...does that mean that i have to retake step 1? I don't think so...I know plenty of peeps who spent 10 to 11 years to complete their MD-PhD degrees, yet I have never heard any one of them complaining about retaking Step 1. maybe there is an exception!

Last edited:
To answer the original question:

If I were in your shoes, I'd try to get into SGU as a third year.

I'd strongly disagree with this recommendation. The match rates for the Caribbean are terrible even for students with stellar board scores and flawless third years, and the number of residencies available for them will shrink even more in the next couple of years as ever larger classes of US grads apply for the same limited number of residencies. Considering that, do you really think the OP is going to wrangle a residency spot with a dismissal on his record? I could be wrong, I certainly haven't been through this process before, but unless you have wouldn't advise the OP to bet the farm on the Caribbean option.

At this stage in the OP's career, he has no other option than to forge ahead. He has invested too much into the process already to just give up. The OP has to find a way to complete his/her education, no matter what!

How is the OP supposed to pay back his/her ever increasing debt?

By working. Unless the OP also went to an expensive private undergrad then he/she has no more debt than the average graduate of an expensive private undergrad and the same credentials. The situation sucks but the debt isn't insurmountable. Either go into a different field (BTW, OP, see if your 3rd year courses count as clinical contact for starting PA school) or just start job hunting. However two years of student loans from private lenders to finance a Caribbean education the will never lead to a residency is just digging the hole deeper.

The only real options I see here are convincing the school to retake you, convincing some other MD/DO school to take you (if you can scrape together enough money to apply), or to move on. Moving on is definitely most likely.

Let me throw a curve ball...

supposed that i am a MD-PhD student. I matriculated in 2008, take step 1 in 2010, go back to lab the following summer...spend the next 7 years working on my PhD..so, return to my third rotation in 2017, and sit for the board the following year (2018)...does that mean that i have to retake step 1? I don't think so...I know plenty of peeps who spent 10 to 11 years to complete their MD-PhD degrees, yet I have never heard any one of them complaining about retaking Step 1. maybe there is an exception!

I'm pretty sure you're granted an exemption from the 7 year rule if you're an MD/DO-PhD student.

Check the MD/DO-PhD forum on this site for confirmation.

I'd strongly disagree with this recommendation. The match rates for the Caribbean are terrible even for students with stellar board scores and flawless third years, and the number of residencies available for them will shrink even more in the next couple of years as ever larger classes of US grads apply for the same limited number of residencies. Considering that, do you really think the OP is going to wrangle a residency spot with a dismissal on his record? I could be wrong, I certainly haven't been through this process before, but unless you have wouldn't advise the OP to bet the farm on the Caribbean option.

By working. Unless the OP also went to an expensive private undergrad then he/she has no more debt than the average graduate of an expensive private undergrad and the same credentials. The situation sucks but the debt isn't insurmountable. Either go into a different field (BTW, OP, see if your 3rd year courses count as clinical contact for starting PA school) or just start job hunting. However two years of student loans from private lenders to finance a Caribbean education the will never lead to a residency is just digging the hole deeper.

The only real options I see here are convincing the school to retake you, convincing some other MD/DO school to take you (if you can scrape together enough money to apply), or to move on. Moving on is definitely most likely.

Yeah, with less experience and now about four years removed from what he/she learnt in college. The truth is that it is almost impossible for him/her to secure a decent job with his/her college diploma; The OP's college diploma is pretty useless! Plus, he/she won't be desirable to potential employers as he/she, due to the rigors of med school, may not have kept himself/herself abreast of the latest happenings in whatever course he/she studied in college. The only real solution here is to get a Lawyer to help him/her negotiate with the school, and if need be, litigation for reinstatement!

Last edited:
I thought they were saying that is the only time you can retake it as opposed to have no choice but to retake it.

Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see why you'd have to retake in 7 years if that happened. I think they were saying that because USMLE for US MD students cannot be retaking if you passed unless you retake 7 years later.

On the OPs dilemma, I really feel for you but truthfully, there comes a point when you can't blame others for your mistakes in this life. How many times I've seen this true in my own life i cannot tell you. You might have an illness, might have cetain amount of problems, but the truth is you are still responsible for your actions and I've learned in plenty enough instances of my own life to know you get only one chance to put an impression in someone's mind of yourself.

It is easy for others to say you have to continue on with the debt but you are at a point where you cannot continue on because you are dismissed and the choice is no longer in your hands.

You really have 2 choices from where I'm standing.

1. You restart med school in the islands
2. You look into another career.

I know a few people who were dismissed from med school and they ended up going into research fields by going back to grad school. That is always an option.

There are also teaching jobs of sorts. I'm sure you can go into that as well.

I know its easy for me to stand there and say this not being in your situation because I know in your situation I'd be truly depressed if what I spent a lot of sweat and blood wanting to do for half my life suddenly went awry. But what everyone saying on here is the harsh truth. There are second chances when you screw up ugrad and do a postbac and do well and get good MCAT scores to prove your low ugrad GPA was not the real you. There are not second chances unfortunately when you screw up med school or residency short of going over seas for med school from what I've witnessed in real life with few people I know of and heard from stories with others.

Also the harsh reality is that even if you finish your education over seas, you will be at a disadvantage for residency especially when it is found out you had bad reviews from your original 3rd year rotations. So I would suppose you should really think hard and long about things before you make your next move. Talk to advisors and deans if they will still help advise you on what your options are and stay strong and realize that not being in medicine if you do not remain in medicine might be god's plan for you but not the end of the world.

I wish you well.

Does that even make any sense to you. The OP is almost done with medschool and you advise him/her to restart medical school again. We are talking about medical school here, not some sort of trade school. I think the OP can still transfer to the Islands. Ilovepath did it successfully and I am sure there are others on SDN who have been successful as well.

I don't know, some schools I'm guessing will not allow you to transfer if you've failed. But if they allow you to transfer to the islands who knows. But even so you will be doing 3rd year in an American hospital and I question whether you will be successful if you've failed 3rd year.

That's my point. I also don't know how schools will view stuff or will they take people in the middle if they've done first two years but failed 3rd year. that's why I said what I did.

If they can transfer and still get any chance of finishing in the siland schools or US schools or otherwise that is always the preferred option even if residency doesn't work out because MD consulting, research, and other jobs may be easier to get with the title at the least.

But I wonder how schools will look at this especially when we are talking about being dismissed and not having good scores. Transferring seems very difficult even for those with high scores who want to leave for reasons such as family reasons.

Where is that coming from? Personal experience or research study? Like everything in life, a prior failure in some stupid third year rotation does not necessarily mean that the OP is doomed for the rest of his or her life. I am sure you must have heard of situations where someone fails in one residency only to excel in another.It is the same with third year rotations. Everything depends on why the OP failed in the first place.

And BTW, the whole third year grade is subjective, and a fail performance to one over-bearing attending may be a high pass to another. No one knows for sure why grades vary, and they do vary immensely from one attending to another!

Last edited:
my suggestions:

1. go to dental school
2. Go to PA school
3. move to an English speaking country, UK, Canada, etc, and go to med school there.
4. Move to another country to avoid loan repayment and find a job there

I would rather be a doctor in Australia with a nice lifestyle enjoying my job than miserable not being a physician in the US

This is an oldish thread, but I want to add my opinion--if you are having trouble getting through 3rd year, don't make the mistake of thinking you can get through residency. Get out of medicine now. This is not meant to be callous, and is not mean-spirited--I tell you from personal experience that people who struggle in school struggle in residency, and you're better off leaving now rather than getting fired from residency. For one thing, you have less debt now (though still a considerable amount, unfortunately). Also, you might as well get started on another path while you can.

I promise I don't say this with a hard heart. As a matter of fact, you have my fullest sympathy. You can read my blog post if you want to understand that. But I truly believe that sometimes people are not able to handle all that medicine entails, and it says nothing about their character--just that due to underlying problems, it's not possible. And the sooner that is realized, the better.

1) Someone is late to prerounds a few times and you tell them they're not qualified to be a fry cook? For your own physicial safety I recommend you pursue a career in academic medicine, because nowhere else in the world will tolerate that kind of @sshole. Also medical students are occasionally late, especially to prerounds. They're before dawn, it happens.

2) Even if his problems did merit his dismissal (and I don't think they did, from his discription, I mean who gets kicked out over a CP?), you have to admit that the OP got a really raw deal in how the hearing was handled. The same guy who gave him the one poor grade that he recieved on probation was also the chair of the committee that reviewed him? How can you possibly appeal a decision if the person you're appealing to is the one who made the decision in the first place?

I agree with you. This is also why I am going to sign up for HPSP. I think I too have a bunch of psychiatric issues, including lateness and everything else listed in this thread. And despite all the negatives that I read about the military, it actually pays you to go to school and wants you to succeed, while 70yo civilians condemn you for the merest trifles. They, civilians, love to talk about compassion and professionalism but time and again I witness nothing remotely approaching those values. And young 25yo brown nosers laugh at all their euphemisms. I think to survive in corporate america, if I have any weaknesses whatsoever, it is a good idea to prepare myself in the military because that is a far more supportive environment. And it's really touching that the OP is not really a nutcase but he got the same treatment as Ted Bundy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Modisrules: I saw your post and wanted to reply (especially after reading some of the ignorant, judgmental and completely irrelevant replies to your dilemma). Let me tell you one thing I've realized: some medical school administrators are completely biased against people with psychiatric diagnoses, especially depression. Especially if these diagnoses are found during medical school, which means that there is not a longstanding documentation of the diagnosis and treatment, which means that the school is free to discriminate as they wish. It sounds to me like that is what happened in your case. You can file a complaint with the Office for Civil Rights if you want, but you should definitely look at options for continuing your medical education. Disregard the uninformed people who say that becoming a physician, after having been dismissed, can't be done.

I posted the following in another thread and am copying and pasting it here. Feel free to PM me.

I was dismissed from a US med school. Not for any criminal reasons, not for any severe academic reasons or cheating or drug use, but for "unprofessionalism" - that umbrella term which now encompasses basically anything including "I don't like you." It was the worst experience of my life thus far. I spent a year trying to get reinstated, unsuccessfully. I was told I could reapply and start over, but I didn't want to waste time so I transferred to a Caribbean school. It was the best decision of my life. I was unsure of the outcome of going to a Caribbean school, but I was able to handle the uncertainty. And a change occurred in the way I was treated, I noticed: No longer was I the peon, the lowest on the totem pole to be scrutinized, blamed, rushed, harrassed. I was paying for an education and the school seemed to realize I was not paying to be harrassed, blamed, hurried or scrutinized. I guess this is just how some Caribbean schools need to operate because they feel they have something to prove-- that they can give a decent education and are worth the tuition. I applied for the match this year and got into my chosen specialty with > 15 interviews. Having transferred was definitely the topic of questions during my interviews, but I was surprised at the positive reponses on what had happened to me: some of my interviewers were very sympathetic, commenting that it must have been a traumatic experience, some saying that it takes more courage to go through failures and dust oneself off and try again than to go through life without any failures at all, some saying that the respect people who have stumbled but still make something of themselves instead of quitting altogether. Then there were the very few interviewers who were visibly disturbed by the idea of my having transferred from an American school to a Caribbean school- it seemed like they hadn't looked very carefully at my ERAS application before they had invited me.

I hope that my writing about my experiences will give some hope to people who have gone through the ordeal that is dismissal from medical school, and all the associated misunderstanding, shame and blame, shock and ridiculousness of that experience. Feel free to PM me if needed, I can't divulge too many details of my own experience to protect my identity but hopefully I can at least listen and be of some support.

"unprofessionalism" - that umbrella term which now encompasses basically anything including "I don't like you."

Best description ever.

how do i get diagnosed with ADD so I can cheat using adderall and ritalin?

Discussing illegal activities and/or asking for medical advice is not permitted, so let's not go down that road.

Please keep the comments pertinent to the OP.

What is the matter with some of the medical students and residents posting in this thread? Kick the guy while he is already down why don't you.

Anyway OP, needless to say you've learned from your mistakes. I'd say call the Caribbean schools and find out their policies on transferring and whether they will take you. And more importantly, if you would be allowed to start as a 3rd year.

You don't want to start from year 1 because that means more time + more money. And frankly it would be stupid for them to make you start over when you've already taken step 1 and completed what 2 years of clinical clerkships?

I don't know if transferring to a Caribbean school is a good idea with a low Step 1 score. They already had a very low match rate this year. If you go into that circle with a low Step score, it gets very hairy as to wether or not you will get a placement.

However, if it's just to finish your MD, then I would maybe go for it. Might as well throw another $40,000 or whatever it is to complete that last year and get the degree if they will let you.

Then just use your MD education to do things other than practice. You can explore research, academics, writing, etc.

Last edited:
People definitely abuse stimulants. But I have also seen in peds clinic where it can be necessary for hyperactive kids.

Hi,

I just wanted to add to the discussion.

1) Are you motivated to get back into school because of the career or the debt? The reason I asked is because there ARE options for paying that debt and having a good portion of it dismissed. They have income sensitive repayment options and that new program where they would dismiss your debt after 10 years if you work in the public sector. So you won't be living in a cardboard box, just maybe not a Mcmansion.

2) There is a difference between unlikely and impossible, so if I were you, I would just contact someone in admissions at every school you are considering and ask for advice. The way I see it, if they were not going to even consider your application, you may as well know before you spend the money applying. But then it would be worth it if you were to find out that some schools may not view you as harshly as most and that you could restart as an M1 or even as an M3.

So sorry you are going through this. (just realized this was an old thread).

Medical school faculty are human believe it or not. They can be peevish and puerile. If they dont like you they will **** on you. :D

Thanks to all of those who have replied. Even if this is an oldish thread, I still check in from time to time.

So I actually applied and was accepted for transfer to a Caribbean school (not top 4, but soon to be part of top 5...any of you who know the Caribbean situation will be able to figure out which school). The school has been really good to me, understanding of my situation, and they gave me credit through half of 3rd year (24 out of 48 weeks of cores), which I thought was a pretty sweet deal.

I recently started in my rotations at my new school, and there has been a little bit of adjustment, but overall it's going well. Most importantly, my new classmates are really great - it seems the admissions department here really knows what they are doing. My colleagues have been incredibly welcoming, and I hardly feel like "the new kid." It's the first rotation for many of them, and I sometimes find myself teaching them things I've learned from my previous clinical experience, which they seem to appreciate.

I lined up a couple of away electives in my field of interest, hoping to make that connection and secure a match spot (or at least a great rec letter). I know it's going to continue to be a tough road, and that the match isn't the virtual guarantee that it was when I was at my previous school, and hopefully this will go far as to helping my chances.

There are times when I really miss my old school (and to think about how my old classmates and I used to trash it), thinking about what I should have done differently or where in the application process I might be. But when I go to interview and examine a patient, present an assessment and plan to the attending, discuss an exciting case, or help a classmate come up with a differential diagnosis, I forget all about that - I feel good about myself and remember that this is really what I love, and that staying the course has been the right decision.

BTW, someone mentioned this before, but with regard to the debt it has been pretty manageable with the new income based repayment (IBR) program. I also intend to take advantage of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program for my previous school's loans - the private ones for my new school aren't so easily managed, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do...

Thanks to all of those who have replied. Even if this is an oldish thread, I still check in from time to time.

So I actually applied and was accepted for transfer to a Caribbean school (not top 4, but soon to be part of top 5...any of you who know the Caribbean situation will be able to figure out which school). The school has been really good to me, understanding of my situation, and they gave me credit through half of 3rd year (24 out of 48 weeks of cores), which I thought was a pretty sweet deal.

I recently started in my rotations at my new school, and there has been a little bit of adjustment, but overall it's going well. Most importantly, my new classmates are really great - it seems the admissions department here really knows what they are doing. My colleagues have been incredibly welcoming, and I hardly feel like "the new kid." It's the first rotation for many of them, and I sometimes find myself teaching them things I've learned from my previous clinical experience, which they seem to appreciate.

I lined up a couple of away electives in my field of interest, hoping to make that connection and secure a match spot (or at least a great rec letter). I know it's going to continue to be a tough road, and that the match isn't the virtual guarantee that it was when I was at my previous school, and hopefully this will go far as to helping my chances.

There are times when I really miss my old school (and to think about how my old classmates and I used to trash it), thinking about what I should have done differently or where in the application process I might be. But when I go to interview and examine a patient, present an assessment and plan to the attending, discuss an exciting case, or help a classmate come up with a differential diagnosis, I forget all about that - I feel good about myself and remember that this is really what I love, and that staying the course has been the right decision.

BTW, someone mentioned this before, but with regard to the debt it has been pretty manageable with the new income based repayment (IBR) program. I also intend to take advantage of the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program for my previous school's loans - the private ones for my new school aren't so easily managed, but hey, gotta do what you gotta do...

Good for you. Good luck in your future.

This is great to hear! So so happy for you OP!!! Hehe :thumbup::thumbup:

Congratulations!

I know this is an older tread, & the problem is resolved, but this is for other dismissed students stumbling on pages:

People are going to leave misinformed comments. There will be even residents, and attendings, who will perpetrate this. They should know better.

1) They believe that if you can't handle medical school, you can't handle residency, and you can't handle a medical career. This is not the military. Do these 'doctors' tell patients, "if you can't be healthy in the hospital, you're not going to survive the real world? and so it's better off if you die?" If they do, it is *they* in fact who should have their licenses removed immediately.

2) Many people confuse "guesses" and "probablities" with wisdom, experience, and knowledge:

"do you really think the OP is going to wrangle a residency spot with a dismissal on his record?" This is a reasonable guess, but that's all it is, a guess. Would you tell a patient who needed a tumor removed, "well, surgery is dangerous, and they have to open up your body, and then a lot of blood is lost... i wouldn't count on it..."? No. You wouldn't. You'd look up statistics, and you'd ask people who have experience.

"do you really think the OP is going to wrangle a residency spot with a dismissal on his record?" This is a reasonable guess, but that's all it is, a guess. Would you tell a patient who needed a tumor removed, "well, surgery is dangerous, and they have to open up your body, and then a lot of blood is lost... i wouldn't count on it..."? No. You wouldn't.

Sure I would, if it's a rare tumor with little efficacy data to support surgery. Surgeons actually do this all the time. And OP is basically in a very rare situation. We know the dangers of his/her situation very well - additional (private) debt, difficulty landing a residency both due to FMG status and prior dismissal - and these are not abstract or controversal issues.

On the other hand, we're talking about an anonymous poster soliciting advice and comments on an internet forum based upon his or her subjective account of the situation. Of course it's a ****ing guess, that's the best level of evidence that SDN can aspire to. I think it's a pretty good guess, actually. I'd love to "look up statistics" on this very unique situation, but it is Friday night...

You'd ask people who have experience.

If I didn't have experience, why would I be in charge of patients?

Last edited:
actually, i'm in the same boat. kind've glad that i'm not the only one

:thumbup:
1) Someone is late to prerounds a few times and you tell them they're not qualified to be a fry cook? For your own physicial safety I recommend you pursue a career in academic medicine, because nowhere else in the world will tolerate that kind of @sshole. Also medical students are occasionally late, especially to prerounds. They're before dawn, it happens.

2) Even if his problems did merit his dismissal (and I don't think they did, from his discription, I mean who gets kicked out over a CP?), you have to admit that the OP got a really raw deal in how the hearing was handled. The same guy who gave him the one poor grade that he recieved on probation was also the chair of the committee that reviewed him? How can you possibly appeal a decision if the person you're appealing to is the one who made the decision in the first place?

Wow congratulations!

1. Watch the bump.

2. How is it possible to be late to prerounds? Isn't prerounds a "Show up with enough time to see your patients and write notes before rounds" game? Late to rounds? Possible... late to prerounds? Impossible.

Dude, why are you going around bumping old threads related to dismissals/ withdrawls/ failures with just a thumbs up sign?

There is nothing wrong with bumping up some old threads.....

Yes... yes there is.

There are some situations that are still relevant today that other people can learn from.

There are some situations that are still relevant today that other people can learn from.

+1. Yeah, seriously. People can bump (or necrobump) whatever threads they want. It's a free country--and a free forum.

cool out
:cool:

I hope the OP can update...did he/she match?!

best of luck!

If we bump all of the relative threads, than the threads that were bumped first would be pretty far down the forum by the time we get done bumping the last of the relative threads, which would require bumping those threads again in order to bring them to the top, which would lead to further sinking relative threads and creating the need to bump those threads [repeat ad infinitum]

There is nothing wrong with bumping up some old threads.....

People like to complain. If you make a new thread they will flame you for not searching but if you search and reply to an older thread you get flamed for necrobumping. Both have happened to me, you can't win sometimes XD

If we bump all of the relative threads, than the threads that were bumped first would be pretty far down the forum by the time we get done bumping the last of the relative threads, which would require bumping those threads again in order to bring them to the top, which would lead to further sinking relative threads and creating the need to bump those threads [repeat ad infinitum]

Me thinks you've done too many bumps, and I don't mean threads either

Gosh, I forgot how petty this place can be

bump all the threads you want, folks. SDN is a place to share ideas and personality quirks.
bump away

Is it normal for schools to dismiss people for something like tardiness? Do you think his dependence on amphetamines to do his job played a roll at all in his dismissal? Are people allowed to practice while using controlled medications? Like somebody on stimulants or a doctor on pain meds? What are the rules about this?