Dismissed from Medical School at end of 3rd Year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So it seems people want an update - I received my M.D. in February from the Caribbean school into which I transferred. I successfully passed both parts of Step 2 on first attempt (including a 47 point improvement on CK from my barely-passing score on Step 1) and received my ECFMG certificate.

After interviewing at and ranking 5 programs, I ended up matching to a great neurology advanced program, but sadly I have been unable to secure a prelim spot and will likely have to soon give up the spot. I will soon sit for Step 3 and will be reapplying in the fall. I believe that I will be able to improve upon my application approach (I have everything ready to reapply on Sept 15 plus a slew of A's in demanding electives, my degree and my ECFMG, vs. waiting for scores to come in early October last year) and will hopefully be able to make it happen this year.

Is it normal for schools to dismiss people for something like tardiness? Do you think his dependence on amphetamines to do his job played a roll at all in his dismissal? Are people allowed to practice while using controlled medications? Like somebody on stimulants or a doctor on pain meds? What are the rules about this?

My dismissal was based on not meeting certain academic standards, not simply because I was late a few a times - some of the circumstances may have not been entirely fair, but that's how life is sometimes and I'm not gonna dwell on that or get defensive at this point.

I do not have a "dependence" on stimulants in the clinical sense. I suppose I may have a reliance upon medications for optimal performance, but then again they are FDA approved and very effective for multiple conditions (they also treat my sleep disorder). I don't believe that the committee held the fact that I took prescribed medications against me when deciding to not give me another chance - that suggestion goes far beyond the unfairness I received during the process, and it is of course illegal to dismiss a student because he takes indicated and prescribed medications.

And yes, physicians are allowed to take controlled substances as long as it doesn't affect their ability to perform safely. In fact, there are physicians practicing today who are on prescribed methadone maintenance. I had required drug tests for my clinical rotations, and the clerkship coordinators all knew I took prescribed stimulant medications (I suppose I could have gotten an "all-clear" from a lab physician if I wanted to keep it private, but nobody ever displayed any negativity toward me whatsoever about it). Plus, with my stimulants I never had any problems transitioning to my night float weeks.

All I got - I'll keep you posted.

Sent via the SDN Mobile app

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Though this line of questioning smells of troll, I'm going to answer your questions in a straightforward manner. My dismissal was based on not meeting certain academic standards, not simply because I was late a few a times - some of the circumstances may have not been entirely fair, but that's how life is sometimes and I'm not gonna dwell on that or get defensive at this point.

You have no idea which medications I take, and I do not have a "dependence" on stimulants in the clinical sense. I suppose I may have a reliance upon medications for optimal performance, but then again they are FDA approved and very effective for multiple conditions (they also treat my sleep disorder, thank you). I don't believe that the committee held the fact that I took prescribed medications against me when deciding to not give me another chance - that suggestion goes far beyond the unfairness I received during the process, and it is of course illegal to dismiss a student because he takes indicated and prescribed medications.

And yes, physicians are allowed to take controlled substances as long as it doesn't affect their ability to perform safely. In fact, there are physicians practicing today who are on prescribed methadone maintenance. I had required drug tests for my clinical rotations, and the clerkship coordinators all knew I took prescribed stimulant medications (I suppose I could have gotten an "all-clear" from a lab physician if I wanted to keep it private, but nobody ever displayed any negativity toward me whatsoever about it). Plus, with my stimulants I never had any problems transitioning to my night float weeks.

All I got - I'll keep you posted.

I was genuinely curious. I was just wondering how that sort of thing would affect licensing. but also it seems like tardiness is something so petty to be dismissed for. Usually when admins or execs get rid of people they have some underlying reason and use some technicality as grounds for dismissal. It just seems like the tardiness wasn't enough. I didn't mean to assume what you were taking, but you were pretty open about ADHD, being under-medicated, and needing an increase to function properly. That's what I meant by being dependent on the medication, because without it you would not be able to do your job as well. I was honestly wondering if the committee viewed this as a problem? I'm honestly not trolling. I know many friends dependent on various medications and I was wondering how this affects their future career.

Apologies for the assumptions - you do seem genuine in your curiosity. I have amended my post above.

Usually when admins or execs get rid of people they have some underlying reason and use some technicality as grounds for dismissal.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I had some problems during medical school, and though I do not believe I should have been dismissed I can understand why some people thought I should have been. And I think there may have been some powers at be who had some more selfish reasons for wanting to get rid of me, and used everything they could to convince others of the same. I'm not saying this is what happened, but I'm also not saying it didn't happen. All I know is that I had a lot of faculty, housestaff and classmate support, and there was a lot of surprise and disbelief when I got that call and went around to say my goodbyes. But that's how it goes - I didn't get myself to this point by dwelling on it, and luckily I can easily distract myself from these things (see, ADHD does have its benefits!).

Members don't see this ad :)
Apologies for the assumptions - you do seem genuine in your curiosity. I have amended my post above.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I had some problems during medical school, and though I do not believe I should have been dismissed I can understand why some people thought I should have been. And I think there may have been some powers at be who had some more selfish reasons for wanting to get rid of me, and used everything they could to convince others of the same. I'm not saying this is what happened, but I'm also not saying it didn't happen. All I know is that I had a lot of faculty, housestaff and classmate support, and there was a lot of surprise and disbelief when I got that call and went around to say my goodbyes. But that's how it goes - I didn't get myself to this point by dwelling on it, and luckily I can easily distract myself from these things (see, ADHD does have its benefits!).

tardiness just seems so petty. I know medicine is different than other fields and tardiness could mean somebody's life, but it seems like it's almost expected of students going through clinical rotations. I was just speculating, wondering if there was more to the story. but the situation with that one person who wrote you up really isn't fair and seems like he was out to get you.

There was more - a requirement that I don't even want to get into. Plus there were other academic difficulties I had while trying to figure out how to manage my ADHD. They had grounds for dismissal, according to the rules and regs, and even though i had counterarguments, they had the power. I still don't think they did the right thing, but there's no use in complaining about it. I still got my MD, and I'm confident I'll get the residency sooner or later.

take notes toldyouso, the post at the top of the page is an example of a useful bump. people complain because people don't like reading the same thread a million times or because it's silly to reply to a post that's from a few years ago

Last edited:
Sorry, just reading this thread for the first time. Congrats to the OP!

Regardless of whether or not such behavior is annoying the issue, at least for the moderator staff, is the appearance of such responses.

Bumping old threads and posting single word or nonsensical responses is common behavior for spam bots. Because those responses are not in violation of the terms of service and are not noticeable as spam And are not removed by staff. The spammer returns at a later date and edit the original post to include spam/advertising link. Because these are buried in long threads they are missed by all of our filters.

It's generally only an issue when it's a new user who post those kind of responses.

tardiness just seems so petty. I know medicine is different than other fields and tardiness could mean somebody's life, but it seems like it's almost expected of students going through clinical rotations. I was just speculating, wondering if there was more to the story. but the situation with that one person who wrote you up really isn't fair and seems like he was out to get you.

I think being on time is literally the only thing that is really expected out of you. You don't really know jack most of the time, the patient's life usually isn't dependent on you, etc etc. You're expected to show up on time, be enthusiastic, and work hard. That's really about it.

I think being on time is literally the only thing that is really expected out of you. You don't really know jack most of the time, the patient's life usually isn't dependent on you, etc etc. You're expected to show up on time, be enthusiastic, and work hard. That's really about it.

Agree with this. If you don't answer literally a single question right and are just plain terrible at patient presentations you will likely still pass, unless you seem unenthusiastic.

Agree with this. If you don't answer literally a single question right and are just plain terrible at patient presentations you will likely still pass, unless you seem unenthusiastic.

I think that could have been my problem, although I did answer about 25% of the questions right :(

Dude, how can you be late? Seriously. It is the easiest thing. Set an alarm clock. Set 20 alarm clocks.

Yo, I know it sounds easy but if you have ADHD, it isn't. Consequences just don't register the same way. Forget career issues, that's why people with ADHD have trouble with staying married, staying out of debt, resisting impulses that could derail their entire career or relationship, etc. The ADHD brain is wired differently.

In solidarity with you, OP. <3 I hope everything works out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck in matching next cycle! Why can't you find an open first year spot ?

Everything fills in the Match and SOAP, and prelims are pretty competitive (at least medicine and ty). About 500 more applicants matched pgy-2 than to both pgy 1 & 2, and there seem to be a lot of applicants in my situation.

I still got my MD, and I'm confident I'll get the residency sooner or later.

At the end of the day that's all that really matters. Good luck.

Honestly PA is the best way if you still want to pursue the field. Caribbean is high risk and has a much larger debt load (Stafford loans max out at 20k for Caribbean schools). Since you've already taken Step 1, I don't think you can retake it to improve your score (maybe I'm wrong, but you should certainly check) and your score will be at least 4 years old by the time you apply for residency.

PA is cheaper and faster (no residency either), and you might be better off in a less self-directed career path.

I am thinking about going PA...

I am actually quite surprised that one can be dismissed over absence to certain meetings or even mild tardiness.

There must be something missing here that we are not aware of.

Nope. Sometimes, they can just say "your personality and demeanor just doesn't quiet fit what we hope in physicians." This happened to me and few others. Sucks but sometimes that is how cookie crumbles. His situation sounds pretty similar to mine, although I do not have ADHD or any mental issues

Last edited:
What happened to this gentleman? Did he match? How come he did did not post any updates and how come it still says medical school??? Does that mean he did not match? All that work and he did not get a residency and thus his life is ruined?

I guess at least one person wants an update. After graduating med school I applied for residencies and prelim internships in my top choice, getting interviews at 5 advanced programs and one prelim. I ended up matching to an advanced spot but not a prelim, and after failing to secure a prelim by July had to give up the spot and reapply. The prelim program that interviewed me was where I did most of my 4th year electives, including a medicine Sub-I and MICU rotation; the program leadership were very sympathetic toward my situation and kept in close contact. I applied much more widely and ended up getting an immediate interview with that prelim program as well as a single categorical program - but as they say, "It only takes one." I matched to the categorical and am now enjoying success in my intern year there. It's a wonderful program with great faculty and coresidents, and I'm extremely happy. Working very hard, but having fun and doing good work. I have had a number of instances where I have shined as an intern, and I've received excellent feedback from senior residents and faculty.

The main reasons I hadn't posted updates or changed my profile settings are that I've been quite busy, largely forgetting about this thread, and also that this thread reminds me of some insanely difficult times in my life from which I'm trying to move on. I thought that matching would make everything better - and it certainly has in many ways - but I'm still left with a lot of scars. And I'm pretty sure I will have that "it can all be taken away" feeling for some time.

Well, that pretty much closes the book here, now some 4+ years in the making. Hope I inspired some people to keep working towards their goals and shed some light onto what is and is not possible in our crazy medical education system. The decision to keep going in my situations might not be the right one for everyone, but it was the right one for me and I figured out a way to make it happen. I'm grateful to all who posted - whether supportive or discouraging, I took something from all (especially humor from the latter now, y'all need to chill out hahahaha).

Good luck to all, and I'll see you on the wards.
~ModisRules, M.D., PGY-1

Reactions: 40 users
Great story. Glad the OP pushed through when it could have been so easy to fall off

I guess at least one person wants an update. After graduating med school I applied for residencies and prelim internships in my top choice, getting interviews at 5 advanced programs and one prelim. I ended up matching to an advanced spot but not a prelim, and after failing to secure a prelim by July had to give up the spot and reapply. The prelim program that interviewed me was where I did most of my 4th year electives, including a medicine Sub-I and MICU rotation; the program leadership were very sympathetic toward my situation and kept in close contact. I applied much more widely and ended up getting an immediate interview with that prelim program as well as a single categorical program - but as they say, "It only takes one." I matched to the categorical and am now enjoying success in my intern year there. It's a wonderful program with great faculty and coresidents, and I'm extremely happy. Working very hard, but having fun and doing good work. I have had a number of instances where I have shined as an intern, and I've received excellent feedback from senior residents and faculty.

The main reasons I hadn't posted updates or changed my profile settings are that I've been quite busy, largely forgetting about this thread, and also that this thread reminds me of some insanely difficult times in my life from which I'm trying to move on. I thought that matching would make everything better - and it certainly has in many ways - but I'm still left with a lot of scars. And I'm pretty sure I will have that "it can all be taken away" feeling for some time.

Well, that pretty much closes the book here, now some 4+ years in the making. Hope I inspired some people to keep working towards their goals and shed some light onto what is and is not possible in our crazy medical education system. The decision to keep going in my situations might not be the right one for everyone, but it was the right one for me and I figured out a way to make it happen. I'm grateful to all who posted - whether supportive or discouraging, I took something from all (especially humor from the latter now, y'all need to chill out hahahaha).

~ModisRules, M.D., PGY-1

Reading this thread from start to finish was well worth it. Comeback stories are the best and yours certainly has been a good one to be updated on!

Bravo, ModisRules!

Wow it is great to hear that! I am very happy to see that you have gotten into a residency! I am been through something similar but not nearly as bad of course. I am sure you still feel resentful and that is natural. That feeling of anger must certainly be their.

That is good it turned out all right anyways. I have actually read this start-to-finish and your story is an inspiration.

Also, it is good that you did not listen to many of the physicians here. In the beginning a lot were telling you to quit medicine, one person was saying that you could not even be a fry cook.

Reactions: 1 user
I think it was 2010 when I first started browsing this site and I remember you story. I am happy for you! And good luck in residency. I wish we had more comeback stories on here to get a better idea of the trials of getting into another school and then residency.

Reactions: 2 users

Also, it is good that you did not listen to many of the physicians here. In the beginning a lot were telling you to quit medicine, one person was saying that you could not even be a fry cook.

Well in fairness to those physicians, their advice wasn't per se wrong --this guy just beat the odds. For every person who manages, after a few extra years and tens of thousands of dollars, to right the boat, there are probably another dozen wishing they had just taken that fry cook route when they had a chance...

... I wish we had more comeback stories on here to get a better idea of the trials of getting into another school and then residency.

The lack of comeback stories probably reflects how few happy endings there actually are. Kudos to this guy for making it happen but let's not pretend he's not the outlier.

Reactions: 3 users
Reading this thread was anxiety producing. . .b/c w/o being there, you really don't know how much of it was more or less built-up b/c the OP irked the wrong person.

I think someone sharing this kind of experience is important. The situation was enlightening. It's eye-opening in that it exposes some of the capricious nonsense that goes on with people. I am looking forward to reading his book, which hopefully he will publish after he is done with most of the training.
One of my favorite reads: Learning to Play God: The Coming of Age of a Young Doctor--Robert Marion.

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-25_15-28-29.jpeg
    upload_2015-1-25_15-28-29.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 52
The lack of comeback stories probably reflects how few happy endings there actually are. Kudos to this guy for making it happen but let's not pretend he's not the outlier.

I do agree that he's an outlier. However, after reading the OP's story it is clear that he had some characteristics that were different from a lot of the other "I got kicked out" stories you hear. Although s/he struggled a lot, s/he attained the insight into how and what s/he needed to do to rectify the situation, and (mostly) achieved that. An unfortunate step back in the wrong direction seemed to have just been bad timing with the wrong person.

This is NOT your standard "dismissed student" you read around these parts, which I am sure helped contribute to where the OP is right now.

~ModisRules, M.D., PGY-1

Congrats! Amazing story.

I do agree that he's an outlier. However, after reading the OP's story it is clear that he had some characteristics that were different from a lot of the other "I got kicked out" stories you hear. Although s/he struggled a lot, s/he attained the insight into how and what s/he needed to do to rectify the situation, and (mostly) achieved that. An unfortunate step back in the wrong direction seemed to have just been bad timing with the wrong person.

This is NOT your standard "dismissed student" you read around these parts, which I am sure helped contribute to where the OP is right now.

This was actually the point of my comment. There are instances where a dismissed student get's in elsewhere because of their situation. In the case of failing boards 3x times, failing 3 classes, or really bad misconduct; these are the people who almost never get back in.

However, in the case of one bad rotation like OP or failing one class like Bones DO, the dismissal was very extreme. Thus schools maybe more sympathetic to those situation. When one reads stories like these, one understands who has a better shot of reentering. Of course in both situation, the chances or reentering another school are very low, but the former cases is far more lower than the latter cases.

Last edited:
Congrats on making it work!

Last edited:

~ModisRules, M.D., PGY-1

Congrats! Thrilled for you!

Not petty. It's objective evidence. They like this.

I was dismissed from a US med school. Not for any criminal reasons, not for any severe academic reasons or cheating or drug use, but for "unprofessionalism" - that umbrella term which now encompasses basically anything including "I don't like you." It was the worst experience of my life thus far. I spent a year trying to get reinstated, unsuccessfully. I was told I could reapply and start over, but I didn't want to waste time so I transferred to a Caribbean school. It was the best decision of my life. I was unsure of the outcome of going to a Caribbean school, but I was able to handle the uncertainty. And a change occurred in the way I was treated, I noticed: No longer was I the peon, the lowest on the totem pole to be scrutinized, blamed, rushed, harrassed. I was paying for an education and the school seemed to realize I was not paying to be harrassed, blamed, hurried or scrutinized. I guess this is just how some Caribbean schools need to operate because they feel they have something to prove-- that they can give a decent education and are worth the tuition. I applied for the match this year and got into my chosen specialty with > 15 interviews. Having transferred was definitely the topic of questions during my interviews, but I was surprised at the positive reponses on what had happened to me: some of my interviewers were very sympathetic, commenting that it must have been a traumatic experience, some saying that it takes more courage to go through failures and dust oneself off and try again than to go through life without any failures at all, some saying that the respect people who have stumbled but still make something of themselves instead of quitting altogether. Then there were the very few interviewers who were visibly disturbed by the idea of my having transferred from an American school to a Caribbean school- it seemed like they hadn't looked very carefully at my ERAS application before they had invited me.

I hope that my writing about my experiences will give some hope to people who have gone through the ordeal that is dismissal from medical school, and all the associated misunderstanding, shame and blame, shock and ridiculousness of that experience. Feel free to PM me if needed, I can't divulge too many details of my own experience to protect my identity but hopefully I can at least listen and be of some support.

When you are a physician, they call it "disruptive" and get rid of you for that...

Are you sure medical school is for you?

Perhaps your medical school is afraid to graduate someone who they think lacks focus and may be putting patients in danger. After all, thats what becoming a doctor is about, helping patients...not just to say "I made it."

Are you sure medical school is for you?

Perhaps your medical school is afraid to graduate someone who they think lacks focus and may be putting patients in danger. After all, thats what becoming a doctor is about, helping patients...not just to say "I made it."

Love hearing what premeds have to say about being a doctor

Reactions: 4 users
:rolleyes: Ok snowflake. I'd hardly think my post qualified as a TOS violation but if one of the actual mods feels otherwise I'd be happy to hear it.

In the future if you can't be bothered to at least catch up on a thread it's probably better not to post, so as to avoid putting your foot in your mouth.

Such as in this case when the person whose worth as a physician you're questioning has actually persevered against adversity, learned from their mistakes, and is now a MD in a categorical residency program.

Notice how I said, "perhaps your medical school. (Speculation)" Nowhere did I say the op was guilty of any of that. From what I read, it takes A LOT to get removed from medical school. So I made a guess based on what I read. Clearly there was politics going on behind the scenes and they wanted to get rid of him. (now that I read through the other pages)

But you acting like his guardian angel and trying to smite the mean pre-med is hardly necessary.

P.s. O grady and fancymylotus, please stop following me into every thread. Don't you have work to do?

1) Medguy speculates as to why OP got expelled

2) Big bird insults medguy for miscalculating

3) Medguy steps back and says "you were right"

4) Big bird takes another jab

5) O grady and fancy like Big birds post

6) Repeat?

You were looking for an argument when you directed your first post against me.

I can't believe I was dumb enough to fall for it.

You were right I was wrong. Happy?

And let me make it clear, I wasn't trying to insult the OP at all. I was in my own mind, trying to figure out why their dean wouldn't listen to the appeal, and was trying to put myself in his shoes.

There are two sides to every story, and you only heard ONE side of it.

That is why I was speculating, because everyone is always right, and always telling the truth.

Last edited:
"He (Al-Dabagh) invites us to decide for ourselves whether he behaved in a sufficiently professional way to merit a degree," the ruling said. "That, as we have made clear, goes beyond our job description. It was neither arbitrary nor capricious for the Committee to credit other accounts above Al-Dabagh's. And if a dismissal from medical school for poor hygiene and untimeliness falls within the realm of reason (citing a U.S. Supreme Court ruling), it should go without saying that Al-Dabagh's dismissal falls within the realm of reason too."
http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2015/0...

--
This guy may lose his diploma and he is already a resident.
I will post as a new thread.

I like underdog med school stories, for obvious reasons . . . I think it's ALSO important to pouint that NO ONE who just lays down and dies gets to be an "outlier". You go out puching life in the throat, and don't go at all. You gotta admit that it was a good thing OP didn't just give up, which was a big portion of the advice after the first post. No?