DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
27 MCAT 3.80 GPA. Just keep believing

That's awesome! I called them and they said that they have only offered a spot to 4-5 waitlisted students thus far and they expect more movement in the coming weeks!

Does anyone know whether DMU has opportunities to make some extra money, like paid tutoring or TA work?

Does anyone know whether DMU has opportunities to make some extra money, like paid tutoring or TA work?

As a first year, you can get a job for the library, gym, or AV. You can also write notesets or proofread them for notepool which is the note taking service.

As a second year, you can also get paid for TAing for OMM, physical diagnosis lab, and surgery lab.

I think that is about all the student jobs through the school though I might have forgot some.

Thanks Badgers, sounds like there are a couple of good options. Do you know if there are TAs for anatomy lab? I know this is an option at a lot of schools for second years.

Thanks Badgers, sounds like there are a couple of good options. Do you know if there are TAs for anatomy lab? I know this is an option at a lot of schools for second years.

I believe TAing for anatomy lab is only available to second years who has something like an 85% or higher that want to do it over the summer after first year for the PA class. All of the TAs during the anatomy course for the DO and DPM students take is by Masters of Anatomy students or students getting a dual degree MSA.

As a first year, you can get a job for the library, gym, or AV. You can also write notesets or proofread them for notepool which is the note taking service.

As a second year, you can also get paid for TAing for OMM, physical diagnosis lab, and surgery lab.

I think that is about all the student jobs through the school though I might have forgot some.

Is it hard to get a job in library, gym, or AV? Are there a lot of students looking for a job in one of those places?

Is it hard to get a job in library, gym, or AV? Are there a lot of students looking for a job in one of those places?

Gym is probably the hardest. Library positions are usually easier to get your second semester. These jobs can be found on pulse I think in the library section. You may not have access to it until school starts. I think the AV jobs are easy to get too. They send an email out about AV tech right before school starts so I suggest checking your email from time to time.

Badgers I love your picture, it cracks me up.

I am assuming that a car is necessary for the third and fourth year, but is it manageable to not have a car for the first two years?
My car is more a liability than an asset these days so I was thinking about sharing a car with my wife for the first two years.

Also are the public transit services in the area convenient, reliable and/or affordable?

Thanks

Badgers I love your picture, it cracks me up.

I am assuming that a car is necessary for the third and fourth year, but is it manageable to not have a car for the first two years?
My car is more a liability than an asset these days so I was thinking about sharing a car with my wife for the first two years.

Also are the public transit services in the area convenient, reliable and/or affordable?

Thanks

You can easily do without a car depending on where you live. If you live close to school it is easy since the grocery store is just one street over. As for public transportation, I have personally never taken it but with you DMU ID badge you get free rides on the buses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is DMU a pass/No pass straight scale or hi pass/ pass /no pass?

Is DMU a pass/No pass straight scale or hi pass/ pass /no pass?

It is neither. DMU currently uses percentages with 70 or above passing in most classes. There was discussion to switch to a letter system but I'm not sure if or when they'll put it in place.

I am holding a seat at DMU but I just got accepted at another program that I plan to attend. I am waiting for them to clear my pre-reqs before I withdraw from DMU but chances are I will be withdrawing within a few weeks.
I just wanted to let those of you on the waitlist know that there is still hope and most likely one more of you will be getting in, I got in from the waitlist at the program I now plan to attend.
Good luck! DMU rocks and it was a hard decision about where to go.

few weeks? how kind of you. being that school starts in a month.

Hopefully sooner rather than later, NY is much more strict than IA on prerequisites so I have had to track down several of my former profs to get them to write a letter, many of whom left my alma mater or went on sabbatical.
Wish it was simpler but I will be withdrawing as soon as I know it is safe, possibly this week if I get the letter tomorrow and NY approves my classes.

few weeks? how kind of you. being that school starts in a month.

Hahaha, I think what Stok's TRYING to say is... Congrats!

It's too bad you aren't going to DMU, but good luck with your other school.

Hahaha, I think what Stok's TRYING to say is... Congrats!

It's too bad you aren't going to DMU, but good luck with your other school.

Thanks! I got my letter in today so hopefully I will know by tomorrow if I am good to go. Iowans are much friendlier than New Yorkers so it will take some adjustment, but I am excited.

My adrenaline levels have never been so high. I just got accepted off the wait list!!!

I know this has been asked many times in the past, but can someone direct me to the FB group? I'm so excited to start with all of you this year!

My adrenaline levels have never been so high. I just got accepted off the wait list!!!

I know this has been asked many times in the past, but can someone direct me to the FB group? I'm so excited to start with all of you this year!

Yeah! Congrats!!! Very happy for you. :)

EDIT: Sorry, I linked you to another group, haha. Here's the correct link.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/266541363392822/

hmmm I wonder what my prospects are now... looks like ill be submitting my transcripts to ACCOMAS next week

hmmm I wonder what my prospects are now... looks like ill be submitting my transcripts to ACCOMAS next week

What quartile are you in? I was told that I was around the middle of the first quartile

What quartile are you in? I was told that I was around the middle of the first quartile
I knew I was in the 1st quartile. I just called them actually and they said I didnt have a select placement as to where I where I am on the wait list.

Last edited:
Quick question for DMU second years. After orientation, how much time do I have until the actual academics start? Thanks a ton!

Quick question for DMU second years. After orientation, how much time do I have until the actual academics start? Thanks a ton!

Last year, it was Tuesday through Thursday for orientation. Most of the Thursday stuff was optional. Classes started the following Monday.

Last year, it was Tuesday through Thursday for orientation. Most of the Thursday stuff was optional. Classes started the following Monday.

Badgers, do you remember what the dress code is for orientation?

Badgers, do you remember what the dress code is for orientation?

Somewhere in some information about orientation there is a section on dress code. In it, it says you can wear jeans and shirts nothing fancy if you want, but no flip flops. Most guys ended up wearing khakis and nicer shirts and most girls were probably in dresses and skirts. I think the second day people were a little more causal.

Somewhere in some information about orientation there is a section on dress code. In it, it says you can wear jeans and shirts nothing fancy if you want, but no flip flops. Most guys ended up wearing khakis and nicer shirts and most girls were probably in dresses and skirts. I think the second day people were a little more causal.

Great! Thanks! :)

I have a quick question. I would hate to be one of those last minute people, but on the off chance that I am , is there people out there to help you with your finances and help you find a place in a quick amount of time. Since I'm not really leaving anything behind, I can easily get on a plane in a day with no problem. I plan on leaving most of my stuff at my parents house until the semester ends and then I would figure it all out. I am just more worried about figuring out my situation when I get to Iowa since it would be such a short notice.

Everything is online so if you did get accepted, I am sure the school would hard with you. DMU seems to make it easy. Sometimes. Slightly disorganized.

Bagers what about shorts? What about t-shirts? I am not a "oh I wear dress pants casually" type of guy. 95% of my wardrobe is t-shirts and 95% of those were free. I keep it classy.

Bagers what about shorts? What about t-shirts? I am not a "oh I wear dress pants casually" type of guy. 95% of my wardrobe is t-shirts and 95% of those were free. I keep it classy.

I honestly don't remember. You should either contact someone at DMU or comb through all the orientation info they give you. In general, orientation and even the first day of class is a little more dressed up than the rest of the year.

You and me both. I haven't worn anything other than basketball shorts and a tank top for the past 3 months (except when I'm going to dinner with the lady). I'd like to know about what is acceptable during the school year. I know that sandals are probably a no-no :(

You and me both. I haven't worn anything other than basketball shorts and a tank top for the past 3 months (except when I'm going to dinner with the lady). I'd like to know about what is acceptable during the school year. I know that sandals are probably a no-no :(

I wear sandals & flip flops all the time. Not at orientation though.