DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm currently on the D.O. waitlist and got a DMU Podiatry brochure the other day in the mail :( HA! That's not a good sign...

Anybody know when they are going to notify us of waitlist rank?

Members don't see this ad.

Pulled directly from the alternate list confirmation e-mail:

DMU Admissions E-mail said:
The Alternate List will be ranked by quartile by the Admission Committee in May. At that time, you will receive a notification email from our office stating which quartile (first, second, third or bottom) you have been placed into.

Hope that helps! :)

Good luck to everyone on the alternate list!!! Stay positive. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I am a current first year at DMU and someone posted about class schedule, etc. awhile back so I thought I'd explain because I was most anxious to hear about that before I started.

First off, here are the classes we take the ENTIRE year: OMM (lecture usually once/week, sometimes more, at 1:00 PM and one 1.5 hours of lab each week), Medical Ethics (only once a month, Wednesday from usually 1-3 PM). We have two practicals/semester for OMM and one written exam/semester. Medical ethics has one exam and one paper/presentation for the year.

Other classes first semester: Biochem, Anatomy (lab is twice, sometimes three times/week for 2 hours), Cell Bio/Histology, Behavioral Medicine, History of Medicine, and Immunology (which turns into Micro/Virology second semester). These classes start and stop at random times but Anatomy is most of first semester and the others are like 2 months long each.

Second semester: Remember, we are taking OMM and Ethics but also Physiology, Physical Diagnosis (lab is once/week for 2 hours), Micro/Virology, Pathology, Neuroanatomy, and Geriatrics.

We typically have lecture from 8-12 consistenly except Wednesday, class always starts at 10 AM so we get two free morning hours. However, sometimes our lectures continue into the afternoon but for the most part, we are done with lecture by 12. Labs are usually in the afternoon unless lecture is light for the morning, you may have it then. Our schedule changes every single day but it is all layed out in the beginning of each semester in your outlook calendars so there are never any surprises.

We are tested frequently. And by frequently I mean it is rare to have a week without an exam and it's typical second semester to have 2-3 exams/week a couple times. The first month of the first semester starts real slow but all of a sudden it's busy as heck. I like the frequency of exams because it helps me stay on top of things and retain information way better. Also, other tests are usually at least 10% comprehensive so it requires you to go over information already learned.

I'm not going to sugar-coat how tough medical school is. It's a ton of work, more than I expected to be honest. BUT, I absolutely LOVE DMU. I wouldn't chose another school because I know I am getting a terrific education. The faculty are awesome, always open to hearing from you. There are tons of clubs you can get involved in and a lot of speakers over the noon hour. If you're looking for a big university type experience, it's not the place for you but if you like a community feel in a city with plenty of resources (not corn, I'm talking medical facilities...), Des Moines is a great place to live. I came from Minneapolis and I love the pace of this city. It's perfect and it's a beautiful place to live.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I am a current first year at DMU and someone posted about class schedule, etc. awhile back so I thought I'd explain because I was most anxious to hear about that before I started.

First off, here are the classes we take the ENTIRE year: OMM (lecture usually once/week, sometimes more, at 1:00 PM and one 1.5 hours of lab each week), Medical Ethics (only once a month, Wednesday from usually 1-3 PM). We have two practicals/semester for OMM and one written exam/semester. Medical ethics has one exam and one paper/presentation for the year.

Other classes first semester: Biochem, Anatomy (lab is twice, sometimes three times/week for 2 hours), Cell Bio/Histology, Behavioral Medicine, History of Medicine, and Immunology (which turns into Micro/Virology second semester). These classes start and stop at random times but Anatomy is most of first semester and the others are like 2 months long each.

Second semester: Remember, we are taking OMM and Ethics but also Physiology, Physical Diagnosis (lab is once/week for 2 hours), Micro/Virology, Pathology, Neuroanatomy, and Geriatrics.

We typically have lecture from 8-12 consistenly except Wednesday, class always starts at 10 AM so we get two free morning hours. However, sometimes our lectures continue into the afternoon but for the most part, we are done with lecture by 12. Labs are usually in the afternoon unless lecture is light for the morning, you may have it then. Our schedule changes every single day but it is all layed out in the beginning of each semester in your outlook calendars so there are never any surprises.

We are tested frequently. And by frequently I mean it is rare to have a week without an exam and it's typical second semester to have 2-3 exams/week a couple times. The first month of the first semester starts real slow but all of a sudden it's busy as heck. I like the frequency of exams because it helps me stay on top of things and retain information way better. Also, other tests are usually at least 10% comprehensive so it requires you to go over information already learned.

I'm not going to sugar-coat how tough medical school is. It's a ton of work, more than I expected to be honest. BUT, I absolutely LOVE DMU. I wouldn't chose another school because I know I am getting a terrific education. The faculty are awesome, always open to hearing from you. There are tons of clubs you can get involved in and a lot of speakers over the noon hour. If you're looking for a big university type experience, it's not the place for you but if you like a community feel in a city with plenty of resources (not corn, I'm talking medical facilities...), Des Moines is a great place to live. I came from Minneapolis and I love the pace of this city. It's perfect and it's a beautiful place to live. If you have any questions, please e-mail me at [email protected]. The next few weeks of the semester will be crazy but I'd love to help anyone if they need it. Good luck everyone!

This is such a good post. Thank you so much!!!

Last edited:
Got accepted to my state school so I will be dropping my acceptance...hope it goes to one of yall on the alternate list!

Looking forward to hearing what quartile I am put into! :) Got to have hope ;) Wish everyone luck!!!

Last edited:
hello DMU peeps! I received word from the admissions department that I have been given the opportunity to interview on May 7th for the early acceptance program. Looking very much forward to this! Be blessed! And once again congrats to all of you who made it for 2012!

hello DMU peeps! I received word from the admissions department that I have been given the opportunity to interview on May 7th for the early acceptance program. Looking very much forward to this! Be blessed! And once again congrats to all of you who made it for 2012!

Wow nice! Congrats. I can't believe the new application season is already starting... time goes by way too fast sometimes!

Good luck with your interview. :luck:

Congrats and good luck, I hope you are as impressed with the program as I was.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! Hope to be tutored by you all when I'm a first year! God willing.... Be blessed!

Hey guys, any of you looking for a roommate?

I'm currently a first-year DO student.

Room for rent!
· Looking for a female roommate to share a 2-bedroom apartment.
· Apartment available July 1st , 2012
· About $390/month + utilities (electricity extra, about $30/month and we will split the bill)
· The apartment is right across the street from DMU and 3min walk to grocery store.
· Large living room, and kitchen w/ dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave, stove, and oven, one full bathroom
· Off-street and heating parking garage available
· Please PM me if you're interested! Or you can email me: [email protected]

Thank you!!!

Does anyone know if DMU will require laptops next year? I have an ipad but I am not sure if I should save my money for a laptop too

Does anyone know if DMU will require laptops next year? I have an ipad but I am not sure if I should save my money for a laptop too

They give you a laptop which is included in your tuition. You can use or not. It is your decision.

Badgers326 I don't know if anyone has told you this before but I love your ID picture. I like it when you comment on this forum just so I can see that dog (corgi?) take up more of the page lol :laugh:

I think I know the answer already but I want to double check with you guys. I don't want to have my acceptance taken back because of a mistake :p
For the Admission Requirements we have to turn in a copy of the permanent resident documentation by April 30th.
Is this just for people that moved to the U.S. from another country or is there something for people that were born in the U.S. to fill out as well? If so, what exactly do I need to send DMU?

I think I know the answer already but I want to double check with you guys. I don't want to have my acceptance taken back because of a mistake :p
For the Admission Requirements we have to turn in a copy of the permanent resident documentation by April 30th.
Is this just for people that moved to the U.S. from another country or is there something for people that were born in the U.S. to fill out as well? If so, what exactly do I need to send DMU?

you only have to submit a copy of the permanent resident documentation if you are a non-citizen.

Haha... yeah this was confusing for me too. I kept thinking citizen and permanent resident were the same thing... but had a :idea: moment.

But yeah, CpG is right.

Thanks guys! I figured I didn't have to do anything but this is something I definitely didn't want to make a mistake on lol

It was a hard decision but after being accepted to my state school I will be giving up my spot at DMU. Good Luck to you all!

Anybody having a little trouble reaching financial aid office lately? I usually get a response right away when I email DMU, but I emailed several times and haven't heard a beep yet. I should probably give them a call...

Anybody having a little trouble reaching financial aid office lately? I usually get a response right away when I email DMU, but I emailed several times and haven't heard a beep yet. I should probably give them a call...

My theory is they're probably incredibly busy right now to reply to emails quickly. Definitely call. :)

On a different note, how many of you finished financial aid application so far? How long does it normally take to get award letter? Is it still early or am I being neurotic again?

On a different note, how many of you finished financial aid application so far? How long does it normally take to get award letter? Is it still early or am I being neurotic again?

Don't expect it until June or July

Alternate List information is going out today, apparently (just received an e-mail in my Inbox about it). Good luck to anyone who's still gunning for DMU! :)

Yup, just got info about the alternate list. I'm happily in the first quartile! Hopefully I get off the waitlist here as this is my top choice! If not, I'm already ready for the next app season

Nice... congrats! It looked like I was far enough down that I wouldn't get selected, so I withdrew and locked in at my top choice. Good luck to everyone else! :)

Just got my alternate list email this morning. I guess they put me in the upper 1/4th. I loved my visit to DMU, but now I'm conflicted because I have an acceptance at my state DO school as well... Does anybody know roughly how many seats are given to people on the alternate list?

Just got my alternate list email this morning. I guess they put me in the upper 1/4th. I loved my visit to DMU, but now I'm conflicted because I have an acceptance at my state DO school as well... Does anybody know roughly how many seats are given to people on the alternate list?

From my interview day, I remember talking to one of the current students who mentioned that it varies year to year. However, the overall consensus is that the wait list had very little movement. I'm assuming that only a handful of wait listers are going to be given the opportunity to attend. Just to be safe, I would make sure that your deposit is sent in to secure your seat at you state school just in case. Then, if you're chosen off the wait list than you can work on that then. Or at least I think that's how it works. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Des Moines University is absolutely AMAZING!!! Being a New Yorker its hard to find cities that match up, with that said much respect to Des Moines, IA; I had a blast in the city of Des Moines! I had my interview this past Monday for the Early Acceptance Program, along with 7 other awesome people, for the class of 2017 and received a phone call today congratulating me on my acceptance to DMU-COM!!!!! Praise God!!!

Des Moines University is absolutely AMAZING!!! Being a New Yorker its hard to find cities that match up, with that said much respect to Des Moines, IA; I had a blast in the city of Des Moines! I had my interview this past Monday for the Early Acceptance Program, along with 7 other awesome people, for the class of 2017 and received a phone call today congratulating me on my acceptance to DMU-COM!!!!! Praise God!!!

Congratulations that is awesome!

Congrats. See you in 2017.

Good luck to those on the waitlist.

Awesome! Des Moines will not disappoint!

Are the alternate list first quartile picked at random or are they ranked within the first quartile? and best to all on wait list too:love:.

Are the alternate list first quartile picked at random or are they ranked within the first quartile? and best to all on wait list too:love:.

I believe it is random and that is why if you keep updating them that forces them to keep pulling your file out which can only help.

What was the secondary prompt for 2011-2012?

It's with a heavy heart that I withdrew my acceptance from DMU today. I hope one of you guys gets my spot!

Does anyone have any idea of how long it takes for dmu to start pulling people off the waitlisted...I know it can be all summer but from what I heard that the school hardly does, Im doubting it would take all summer and that they would make their decision soon. I would like to know so that I can begin applying again if things do not work out...

Does anyone have any idea of how long it takes for dmu to start pulling people off the waitlisted...I know it can be all summer but from what I heard that the school hardly does, Im doubting it would take all summer and that they would make their decision soon. I would like to know so that I can begin applying again if things do not work out...

It's not really about them making a decision. It depends on whether or not people give up their spot to go elsewhere. That could happen at anytime, from now until when class starts. So yeah, it could be in July or next week. good luck!

When I first found out that I was on the waitlist, I promptly called DMU for more information. They told me that it is in mid may that they rank people in the four quartiles of the waitlist and that they start pulling people off the waitlist in mid June. I'm reapplying anyways just to be safe.

It's June! From my last conversation with DMU, they will be accepting people off the waitlist in mid-June. Can't wait to start hearing news of some wait list movement :)