DMU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Its good to see that they havnt completed their acceptances either. Ive been lurking around again to see if anything is happening. I know the cycle is starting to come to a close and Im hoping I can get off the wait list. I loved it so much that Im going to keep it on my list of schools to apply to next cycle if i dont get it.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to you all!!!

LOVEDMU - Stay strong buddy; hopefully all these acceptances is giving you good feelings inside, haha.

I expect more people to join our wonderful facebook group within the next few days... (that's my indirect way of demanding you all to decline any other acceptances and go to DMU). :thumbup:

Thank you!! These acceptances really have been giving me a warm fuzzy feeling inside. 4 more days and we shall find out!

Congrats to those who have been accepted recently and good luck to those that are patiently waiting like myself!!

They said give them three weeks when I was there in late February. Hopefully you all will be hearing something this week!

Good luck... but save a spot for me! :)

Awesome! Looking forward to hearing this week! :D

I wonder what the acceptance rate is this late in the cycle. I know that once you've gotten an interview it is 50% but I think that is an average of the entire application year. So this may not hold true for this late in the application cycle. I'm thinking 30% but I may be completely wrong.

Anyone know what the approximate percentage is for those who interviewed this late in the cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
I can't speak to DMU specifically, but I did interview at one program (MD, though, so take this with a grain of salt) and was specifically told we were interviewing for the waitlist. I would hope that most programs leave at least a few slots open, though, since an absolute gem of a student could have slipped through the cracks.

Then again, I'm not on an ADCOM. :)

Let us know when the good news comes!

I know I said this almost exactly a week ago (ha), but you should be hearing from them either tomorrow or the day after... since DMU sends out acceptances on Wednesdays/Thursdays. Not sure if they changed that since the app cycle is almost over, but just expect news soon!

Sorry, I probably just made ya'll even more paranoid, haha... :D

I know I said this almost exactly a week ago (ha), but you should be hearing from them either tomorrow or the day after... since DMU sends out acceptances on Wednesdays/Thursdays. Not sure if they changed that since the app cycle is almost over, but just expect news soon!

Sorry, I probably just made ya'll even more paranoid, haha... :D

I got my acceptance on a friday, last week 3 weeks out from my interview. I totally sympathize with how anxiety inducing it can be to not know where you are headed, this is my third year applying. I am so excited to not look at another application for at least 3 years until I start looking at residencies. Maybe it is wrong but I take some comfort in knowing that no matter how rough the process seems, most people are in the same boat of anxious months of waiting, and I think that the process will make us all more appreciative of how lucky we are and how hard we have worked to get where we are.

I just got a soul-crushing post-interview rejection from my home state medical school that I have wanted to attend since middle school, I also have two very long-shot interviews coming up but I don't expect much from those. I love the program at DMU and I would love to matriculate here, but this uncertainty is still killing me because I want to start planning my future and getting to know my fellow students.

I got my acceptance on a friday, last week 3 weeks out from my interview. I totally sympathize with how anxiety inducing it can be to not know where you are headed, this is my third year applying. I am so excited to not look at another application for at least 3 years until I start looking at residencies. Maybe it is wrong but I take some comfort in knowing that no matter how rough the process seems, most people are in the same boat of anxious months of waiting, and I think that the process will make us all more appreciative of how lucky we are and how hard we have worked to get where we are.

I just got a soul-crushing post-interview rejection from my home state medical school that I have wanted to attend since middle school, I also have two very long-shot interviews coming up but I don't expect much from those. I love the program at DMU and I would love to matriculate here, but this uncertainty is still killing me because I want to start planning my future and getting to know my fellow students.

I hear ya. I got 2 rejections from my state's schools. Even though I'm from TX (which is a medschool loaded state), our premed population is enormous and pretty much every TX premed student applies to TX schools. The applicant pool is huge. I think my MCAT got me rejected... since my GPA was above their averages. :(

But yeah, it was soul-crushing. So many great TX schools and I couldn't even get into TCOM (didn't even get an interview!! :( ) That in-state tuition would've been nice too. Oh well, enough sulking. DMU is a fantastic school, and it was definitely my top choice for OOS. I'm so happy with this acceptance!!! :)

Just got off the phone with the management enrollment office staff member. She said they haven't gotten the decisions yet and are hoping at the end of the week they will. Friday is when the next update will be most likely :)

Just got off the phone with the management enrollment office staff member. She said they haven't gotten the decisions yet and are hoping at the end of the week they will. Friday is when the next update will be most likely :)

I will be looking for that acceptance this Friday, good luck! Also I got accepted and I interviewed a week before you so I totally think it is possible to get accepted this late in the cycle.

I will be looking for that acceptance this Friday, good luck! Also I got accepted and I interviewed a week before you so I totally think it is possible to get accepted this late in the cycle.

Thank you LieutenantDan!! :)

You know I almost didn't apply this application cycle because it was so late but I thought to myself it is POSSIBLE and this is why I ended up applying. You got to have hope :D :rolleyes:

2 more days, or 1 more.... Am really excited but anxiety is building up!!!! :confused:

Alternate listed today.. womp womp. Would love to go to DMU, but I guess I'll take my acceptance at Pikeville for now

Same here. From the look of things I might be in Waitlist Hell this summer. Good luck to everyone who hasn't heard yet! :)

Waitlisted post interview. What a bummer!

But there's hope. One of my friends got in last year after being in the same boat so I'm still hopeful. Still better than a rejection I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to hear about the waitlists guys, but at least it's not a full blown rejection. Hopefully the waitlist begins moving as more people begin accepting/declining their offers.

Good luck to all of you! :)

sorry to hear about the waitlists. good luck. hopefully you guys got in elsewhere. if not, be sure to apply first thing in june this year and broadly and you will have better luck i am sure.

anyone know if DMU does a ranked waitlist? Is there any way to know where a person may fall on the waitlist?

Accepted today! Interviewed 2/17. Good thing too, this is the only place I applied.

sorry to hear about the waitlists. good luck. hopefully you guys got in elsewhere. if not, be sure to apply first thing in june this year and broadly and you will have better luck i am sure.

anyone know if DMU does a ranked waitlist? Is there any way to know where a person may fall on the waitlist?

They separate the waitlist into quartiles. They will probably tell you what quartile you are in sometime in April or May.

Congrats gertey and sorry to others who got waitlisted but I am glad that it wasnt a rejection, don't give up hope. I still have 2 interviews so there is a chance that I go elsewhere and I am sure that I am not the only person in this situation. If that were the case I would be happy if one of you got my seat. But in any case, I can tell you as a three time applicant that persistence pays off if medicine is in your heart, you will get there! Good luck and I hope that there is a lot of movement on the waitlist!

Congrats gertey and sorry to others who got waitlisted but I am glad that it wasnt a rejection, don't give up hope. I still have 2 interviews so there is a chance that I go elsewhere and I am sure that I am not the only person in this situation. If that were the case I would be happy if one of you got my seat. But in any case, I can tell you as a three time applicant that persistence pays off if medicine is in your heart, you will get there! Good luck and I hope that there is a lot of movement on the waitlist![/QUOTE

Thank you for the kind and uplifting words!!

It would be hard to pass up such a phenomenal school, but whatever you decide make sure that it comes from your heart and that you will be happy with your decision. I see how having multiple interviews and options can make it tough but it's awesome that you can do that. Congrats on all those achievements.

Yes, indeed persistence pays off. We all have different obstacles in our lives and challenges we face so most of the time the path to becoming a doctor is not a straight road. (But at the same time thank God for that) :D

This is the first time I'm applying and who knows maybe I will need to apply for several more years but hey such is life. This is what I want to do so giving up will not be an option. :love:

Good luck with your remaining interviews. I know you will do fabulous. :oops: BTW where are you interviewing?

They separate the waitlist into quartiles. They will probably tell you what quartile you are in sometime in April or May.

I'm confused. I was also wondering if it is ranked and what factors they look at when taking someone off the waitlist. Are we all equal or do GPAs, MCAT, etc still weigh in on the decision?

Congrats to those accepted today :)

Interviewed 2/23, placed on alternate list yesterday. I was accepted to my top choice school last week so I've withdrawn my application, hope that bumps some of you guys up a spot. Good luck!

I'm confused. I was also wondering if it is ranked and what factors they look at when taking someone off the waitlist. Are we all equal or do GPAs, MCAT, etc still weigh in on the decision?

In think they look at the overall application, i.e. interview results, mcat, gpa, etc. They will also consider what you have been doing in the meantime, new grades, new clinical experiences, etc.

You should write a letter of interest, tell them that you will take the spot if it is offerred and why you would be a good fit for the school. Also if you have any extra info to add like new experiences or things you are planning to do include that. They will put this in your file and in some cases it could give you a slight edge if its between you and a candidate who hasn't expressed such strong interest.

They group you into four sections: first quartile, second quartile, third quartile, and fourth quartile. I don't believe it is ranked within the quartile and they kind of just pull people at random out of the first quartile until they run out and then onto the second quartile. They take everything into account in determining what quartile you get placed into.

My only advice is to continuously update them and send a letter of intent. The more times they have to open your file and add to it, the better.

Hope that helps.

So being that DMU is done interviewing, is there anyone posting that is still waiting to hear? If so, good luck! Hopefully some of you guys get pulled off the waitlist.

I have been put on the waitlist. Does anyone know when they will start sending out emails ranking us in those quartiles?

I don't know if DO programs are the same but MD programs require you to choose one of your acceptances and withdraw from others on May 15, so that's when you start to see much of the waitlist movement.

I don't know if DO programs are the same but MD programs require you to choose one of your acceptances and withdraw from others on May 15, so that's when you start to see much of the waitlist movement.

DO schools have no rules about when you have to withdraw from other schools. It is just more expensive to keep more than one because of the deposits. Waitlists do start moving around mid-May because the MD waitlist is moving which creates a cascading effect.

DO schools have no rules about when you have to withdraw from other schools. It is just more expensive to keep more than one because of the deposits. Waitlists do start moving around mid-May because the MD waitlist is moving which creates a cascading effect.

So far the schools I have gotten into have non-refundable deposits so there isn't that incentive really, if that is the case then my only motivation to withdraw will be sympathy to those anxiously waiting to hear. I've been waitlisted before and it is rough.

I just received an acceptance letter from IU so I will be letting go of my acceptance here. DMU is awesome, but I just can't pass up staying close to my family and getting in-state tuition. I hope one of you in this thread that is stuck on the waitlist will get my seat.

I just received an acceptance letter from IU so I will be letting go of my acceptance here. DMU is awesome, but I just can't pass up staying close to my family and getting in-state tuition. I hope one of you in this thread that is stuck on the waitlist will get my seat.

Ill be praying for myself. Been waiting since November..lol.. Good luck at your school though:)

You should write a letter of interest, tell them that you will take the spot if it is offerred and why you would be a good fit for the school. Also if you have any extra info to add like new experiences or things you are planning to do include that. They will put this in your file and in some cases it could give you a slight edge if its between you and a candidate who hasn't expressed such strong interest.

I am planning to do this immediately. How exactly do you word "if you offer me a spot I would take it in a heartbeat!" into a more acceptable sentence to put into a letter of interest?

I have never written one before, but I know that I want to be at DMU and if offered the chance i would take it in a heartbeat!

I am so unsure how to tell them in WORDS how interested I am and how much I want to be at this school and only this school...

any help is super greatly appreciated.. feel free to message me privately!

I don't know exactly, but basically tell them that they are your number one, but more importantly, why they are. Show them that you paid attention at your interview, and that you have researched the school. But like I said, make sure they know why DMU over other schools. But don't make it too long.

Hey guys!

Congrats to those who got accepted! DMU has sent me a couple of emails that have me a bit confused. A few weeks ago, I got an email saying that I had been placed on the alternate list. Then today, I got an email asking me to confirm my place on the alternate list, and saying that I have 2 weeks to do so. There was no mention of anything I had to do in the first email. And today's email is just a few days after I emailed them an update about my grades--an email saying they'd add the information to my file came hours earlier. Is it a coincidence? Or does this mean I'd have a chance if I put myself on the list? What does it mean?

Thanks!!

:xf:

I would guess it is mainly asking if you have already gotten accepted somewhere that you would rather attend. No sense of putting you on the alternate list if you don't want to attend anymore. I bet everyone will either get one or have already received theirs.

I would guess it is mainly asking if you have already gotten accepted somewhere that you would rather attend. No sense of putting you on the alternate list if you don't want to attend anymore. I bet everyone will either get one or have already received theirs.
I received an email asking me the same thing. I just assume it is a weeding out process to take all those candidates who were on the wait list and dont want to go anymore out of the pile to leave room for others. It took all but 1 second to think about it and said confirm...lol

I am surprised that DMU just straight up rejected me without even offering an interview. I was an out of state applicant. But with science GPA of 3.9, my MCAT a bit low at 25, and a lot of volunteering and work hours.

When did u apply? I know if you apply to late and there are no position left. Then they have to reject you. Or maybe there are some red flag in your application. Typically something like previous criminal record, or acedemic action etc.
I am surprised that DMU just straight up rejected me without even offering an interview. I was an out of state applicant. But with science GPA of 3.9, my MCAT a bit low at 25, and a lot of volunteering and work hours.

My academic record is clean. I applied at the end of October.

When did u apply? I know if you apply to late and there are no position left. Then they have to reject you. Or maybe there are some red flag in your application. Typically something like previous criminal record, or acedemic action etc.

My academic record is clean. I applied at the end of October.

timing is definitely your biggest obvious problem. You don't say whether you applied in october as in "submitted primary for verification" or applied as in "got complete." That is pretty late, and your 25 is pretty low for DMU. Maybe there is an issue with LORs or personal statement. Looking at your post history, you seem to just be super late. If you don't have any luck this season, make sure to apply June 1st.

Really though, without working at DMU, we can only speculate. Sorry and good luck with your other schools.

I say retake the MCAT, October isn't too late in cycle I was complete in early December. Sure, it never hurts to apply early especially with a school like DMU that takes a while to respond, but I think you will get a lot of mileage out of a few points higher on the MCAT, even a 2-3 pt improvement. I have a friend who had a 25 and really focused on getting a better score and got a 35 the next time he took it, so its definitely doable. DMU has one of the highest MCAT/GPA avg for DO programs and you could still get in to other programs with a 25 especially with that awesome GPA. Hang in there you have a lot of reasons to be hopeful.

i would guess that because it was a month ago, it will take awhile to compile all the information, organize it, and format it, and release, not to mention that DMU is finishing up with the application season and about to prep graduating their 2012 class, so it probably isn't a super high priority.

rejection email :( boooo
oh well...that was expected

rejection email :( boooo
oh well...that was expected

Sorry to hear that, I hope you have had luck elsewhere. I have been getting a rejection almost every week since January so I sympathize.