Do i Need USMLE STEP 2?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Newyorkgiants

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it necessary to take USMLE Step 2, my step 1 scores 240+ and comlex is 580+, for IM programs in the northeast? I am looking at university programs although I know most of the Manhattan programs won't look at an DO's?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll be okay. I'd also suggest applying broadly. You could probably get into a pretty good program if you don't restrict yourself to NYC.

Members don't see this ad :)
What about for Psych? Anyone know how doable it is to match into ACGME Psych with a solid USMLE Step 1 score (230+) and only COMLEX 2?

There are some programs that explicitly require step 2. If you did well on step 1 there is no reason you can't do well on step 2. As a DO who went for IM in the NE two years ago I would highly rec taking step 2.

What about for Psych? Anyone know how doable it is to match into ACGME Psych with a solid USMLE Step 1 score (230+) and only COMLEX 2?

My friend never took the usmle, failed the Comlex on her first attempt, and still matched at a university psych program. You'll be fine.

Don't screw up the interview and the spot is yours.

There are some programs that explicitly require step 2. If you did well on step 1 there is no reason you can't do well on step 2. As a DO who went for IM in the NE two years ago I would highly rec taking step 2.
This is 100% true. Since receiving my usmle step 1 score back, I have gotten the bug to find out where can i go!? I am interested in EM/surg/gas and it seems from my n=15 that about 5-6 programs won't interview ANYONE without a step 2. Take step 2, hammer it, and make good ole' AT Still proud.