DO SCHOOLS w/ COMPETITIVE RESIDENCY??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They said that last year, turns out the people who did a lot of aways despite the recommendations actually did better in the match and in getting interviews than those that followed “the rules.”
That was my observation as well.

Why doesn’t OP just take the mcat again before matriculating? If much better, go MD. If not, go DO.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I really appreciate everybody's feedback and comments. Let me try to slowly respond to each one.

First off...it was never about the money or the extra year in salary... as I said before, I don't mind spending an extra year in research (if I have to, but looks like I don't base off of someone else's post) to try to increase my chances at getting into this specialty)

Second off...I am currently taking a full load of classes Anatomy/Philosology 1, Neuroanatomy, Senior Seminar in neuroscience, and Spanish (need to complete gen eds), and next semester I'm taking anatomy/physiology 2, immunology, microbiology while still keeping up with my extracurriculars so I feel it would be too hard to also study for MCAT again since I haven't touched it since August of 2020

Third...I currently reside in Florida, all the in-state Florida schools have an average mcat on MSAR of 512 or higher, the only school I could have had a chance at was FSU with an average of 508 but it was SUPPPEERRR primary care focused, more than the majority of the DOs that I went to and they only do rotations in small clinics throughout the state of Florida

Fourth...If I happen to make time and try to crunch the mcat and I drop my score, aren't the schools that I am currently applying to get that score and if I drop my score for some random reason or show barely improvement, could I get my acceptances revoked or prevent other possible future interviews to better DO schools such as Michigan State that I am still waiting for

Fifth...look, I knew I messed up lol, bottom line is, I sold myself short, but I have to make the best of my situation which I am trying to do...and how is that...try to get to the school that will provide me with the resources to get where I need to be, and a 70% of getting into orthopedics doesn't sound too impossible like some of you guys are making it sound from a DO school and I am willing to take those chances than trying to apply to wait another year and apply MD and then possibly not getting into MD and then reapply to DOs and I am 95% sure that DO schools would know that I am reapplying or that I currently rejected their acceptances that they extended to me (and IMO I am currently holding a couple of the top tier DO schools so if I get no MD, I would want to get one of the DO acceptances that I rejected before and that DO school (knowing that I turned down their acceptance the year before) will slap me across the face lol and then I am really screwed

Reactions: 1 user
try to get to the school that will provide me with the resources to get where I need to be, and a 70% of getting into orthopedics doesn't sound too impossible like some of you guys are making it sound from a DO school and I am willing to take those chances
It’s not really 70%. That 70% is of the people who managed to make it to application season competitive enough to apply… it’s a self selects group

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
try to get to the school that will provide me with the resources to get where I need to be, and a 70% of getting into orthopedics doesn't sound too impossible like some of you guys are making it sound from a DO school

It’s not really 70%. That 70% is of the people who managed to make it to application season competitive enough to apply… it’s a self selects group
I'll also add that 6 new DO schools in 2020, 1 new school in 2021, it looks like another 2-3 DO schools after that. You will be competing with a lot more students while the number of DO ortho spots might grow by 1 or 2 a year. If Ortho is the only thing OP wants, then MD will be an easier path.

also FSU is primary care focused but so is every single DO school, I would say 2x more primary-care focused

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I really appreciate everybody's feedback and comments. Let me try to slowly respond to each one.

First off...it was never about the money or the extra year in salary... as I said before, I don't mind spending an extra year in research (if I have to, but looks like I don't base off of someone else's post) to try to increase my chances at getting into this specialty)

Second off...I am currently taking a full load of classes Anatomy/Philosology 1, Neuroanatomy, Senior Seminar in neuroscience, and Spanish (need to complete gen eds), and next semester I'm taking anatomy/physiology 2, immunology, microbiology while still keeping up with my extracurriculars so I feel it would be too hard to also study for MCAT again since I haven't touched it since August of 2020

Third...I currently reside in Florida, all the in-state Florida schools have an average mcat on MSAR of 512 or higher, the only school I could have had a chance at was FSU with an average of 508 but it was SUPPPEERRR primary care focused, more than the majority of the DOs that I went to and they only do rotations in small clinics throughout the state of Florida

Fourth...If I happen to make time and try to crunch the mcat and I drop my score, aren't the schools that I am currently applying to get that score and if I drop my score for some random reason or show barely improvement, could I get my acceptances revoked or prevent other possible future interviews to better DO schools such as Michigan State that I am still waiting for

Fifth...look, I knew I messed up lol, bottom line is, I sold myself short, but I have to make the best of my situation which I am trying to do...and how is that...try to get to the school that will provide me with the resources to get where I need to be, and a 70% of getting into orthopedics doesn't sound too impossible like some of you guys are making it sound from a DO school and I am willing to take those chances than trying to apply to wait another year and apply MD and then possibly not getting into MD and then reapply to DOs and I am 95% sure that DO schools would know that I am reapplying or that I currently rejected their acceptances that they extended to me (and IMO I am currently holding a couple of the top tier DO schools so if I get no MD, I would want to get one of the DO acceptances that I rejected before and that DO school (knowing that I turned down their acceptance the year before) will slap me across the face lol and then I am really screwed
I won’t address points 1&2.

3). What’s a “primary care focused” medical school? Serious question. I’ve been through medical school and seriously have no idea what it means. Extra primary care rotations? It honestly just sounds like crap low tier schools say to somehow justify a non-competitive match list. Hence why so many osteopathic schools are “primary care focused.”

My point here is that a schools “focus” is meaningless.

4) been a while since I dealt with Aacomas (or whatever the acronym is), but I know the answer to this question when I applied was a very firm “no.”

5) while there are always a handful of students applying to competitive specialties with no business doing so, the vast majority of that 70% that match are the best DO students in the country both on paper and in person on rotations. Just to be clear: 4 years of putting your entire being into getting ANY spot ANYWHERE in ortho by being the best of the best is only a 70% chance. No ones trying to put you down or anything like that. I really hope you do accomplish your goal. But I and the others responding in this thread have all seen people with similar aspirations in med school orientation who by thanksgiving are just hoping they don’t get dismissed. I think we have good metrics for determining who will survive medical school. But I think they’re poor for saying who will do well vs struggle to survive.

Sounds like you've made your decision then. Best of luck!

Reactions: 2 users