Do students at TCOM have to practice coed rectal, vaginal, etc. exams on each other?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coyote15

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3/10 maybe?

Reactions: 1 user
So because OMM requires shorts and a sports bra, suddenly you assume vaginal exams are the logical next step?

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to know if DO students at Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) are required to perform rectal and vaginal co-ed exams on each other. I am aware of their OMM and medical practice courses in which guys have to wear shorts and remove their shirt, and girls have to wear shorts and a sports bra only while performing exams on each other (abdominal, etc.). I understand that practicing these exams is an important part of learning, but I'd like to know if students are required to practice the most revealing of exams on each other as well... Thanks for your responses

There is no way any medical school in the US is having you do rectal or vaginal exams on each other. They pay for standardized patients to be available for their students. Decades ago yes this was done but nowadays that is a law suit just waiting to happen.

Reactions: 5 users
Just curious why this would be directed specifically at TCOM only instead of at all DO schools who all have OMM curriculum. Also aware that there is a 29% chance this is a serious post

Reactions: 1 users
I'd like to know if DO students at Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) are required to perform rectal and vaginal co-ed exams on each other. I am aware of their OMM and medical practice courses in which guys have to wear shorts and remove their shirt, and girls have to wear shorts and a sports bra only while performing exams on each other (abdominal, etc.). I understand that practicing these exams is an important part of learning, but I'd like to know if students are required to practice the most revealing of exams on each other as well... Thanks for your responses

All DO schools have students perform rectal exams on each other. Not vaginal though since only half the class has one. It's a special technique called myorectal release. It feels great you will love it. Trust me I'm a DO student. I do it all the time!

Reactions: 3 users
They use paid volunteers/standardized patients, many ob/gyn volunteers are nurses.

Did you have someone in mind?

Reactions: 2 users
Just curious why this would be directed specifically at TCOM only instead of at all DO schools who all have OMM curriculum. Also aware that there is a 29% chance this is a serious post
It's a serious post. I'm asking about TCOM specifically because I'm interested in TCOM, and because I know that not all DO schools do things the same way

I don't see why you couldn't do this after class or on the weekend. With consent of course.

So because OMM requires shorts and a sports bra, suddenly you assume vaginal exams are the logical next step?
It's not a logic leap. I've heard that some schools require this of their students. Additionally, you don't know my motives for asking the question, so don't be so quick to criticize

Texas resident here : I hope so ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to know if DO students at Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (TCOM) are expected to perform rectal and vaginal co-ed exams on each other. I've heard that some schools require this of their students, so I'd like to know about TCOM specifically. Thanks for your responses

100% troll post.

If it's a serious question then it's an excellent example of common sense not being common. If that's the case....well medical school is gonna be very difficult for you as I'm sure life already is.

No. This does not happen. The lawsuits would never, ever end.

I can tell you that at LECOM, there are some special, extra well paid standardized patients who endure a students first inexpert exams. I'm going to guess most schools work that way. I would wager that the school would strongly discourage students from practicing on one another.

100% troll post.

If it's a serious question then it's an excellent example of common sense not being common. If that's the case....well medical school is gonna be very difficult for you as I'm sure life already is.

I scored it 3/10. I'm considering reducing it to 2/10. What would you score it?

100% troll post.

Jesus, you're pathetic!

Yeah, not coeds. Probably a segment of the local homeless population doing it to get money for liquor. Practicing on coeds is just for bonus points and high fives.

I wouldn't be so quick to say not all schools do this anymore. At my school we have a prostate lab where the students practice finding the prostate on the males students.

Jesus, you're pathetic!

Hold up there sharp shooter.

So you're telling me that you actually thought that females at TCOM would potentially have to let their male classmates perform vaginal exams on them?

I'm sorry you are incredibly naive and I stand by my previous comment. Use my comments as a wake up call and begin to be more skeptical of what you "hear".

Haha OP why are you so specific in this question?! Would this put TCOM as your #1?

No. Examination techniques are taught using standardized patients in a small group setting. (There are plenty of actual patients to practice on in the hospitals and clinics, and whatever it is, you'll get sick of it in two weeks.)

I strongly encourage OP to practice on med students. They smell better.

I wouldn't be so quick to say not all schools do this anymore. At my school we have a prostate lab where the students practice finding the prostate on the males students.
I doubt it.

Reactions: 2 users
No. When I was there they used trained patients for the vaginsl/breast exams. The patients were paid about $15/hr and given a free WWE by an attending. The prostate exams stopped before I was there. Supposedly the men they recruited had some choice words for the female student doctors that made them uncomfortable and that ended that.

During the regular trained patient encounters there was always a well endowed fairly attractive lady with a low cut shirt to get you over being uncomfortabke/intimidated by that sort of thing.....

Believe me, after your first speculum exam on a medicaid patient, you will avoid them like the plague. After your first delivery, you'll want to give up sex forever and I don't care if it's with Faith Hill after she paid you handsomely....some things just make you want to puke....

Reactions: 5 users
OP, LOL. No.

Zero chance this is the case.

Terrible question. Sry

To be fair, I know of at least one MD school that used to have the students practice on each other. This was back in the 70s with all the damn hippies.

To be fair, I know of at least one MD school that used to have the students practice on each other. This was back in the 70s with all the damn hippies.
the good old times.. people nowadays are too sensitive. ;)

My school has special standardized patients for this-- females for gynecological exams and males for male genital exams. We observe a rectal/prostate exam-- there's always a volunteer for a demo but not always one who is willing to let students practice. I've never heard of a school allowing, or condoning, sensitive exams on other students.

You'll never match if you're not practicing on your classmates, family members and neighbors at least several times a week.