Does the "prominence" of your LOR writer matter at all?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChrisMack390

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There is a doctor I have shadowed for around 75 total hours over the past year - about 30 Wednesday mornings for 2-4 hours per morning. I also worked with him for the previous 2 years as he is an investigator on the clinical trials that I work on as a CRC/regulatory coordinator, and I have had the opportunity to grab lunch with him a few times to pick his brain about medicine and such. Overall I would say this doc has been a great mentor and some of my experiences with him have really been instrumental in my push toward medicine.

Today I asked him for a letter. He said he was happy to write it and asked me a lot of questions about my intentions and such because he "wants to write the strongest possible letter." Great. However, he did also ask if I was getting letters from any of the other doctors in my dept and commented that he wondered if I should get letters from more prominent doctors than him. I think this is routed in the fact that he has been an attending for only about 2 years while some in the department have been there for 10, 15, 20+

Does this actually matter? I suspect he is thinking more of residency/fellowship applications...

Members don't see this ad.

I think the only way seniority would matter is if you got a LOR from a top physician in the state, otherwise adcoms won't be able to tell the difference.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I got a LOR from the Dean of Faculty at my school (well known east coast institution) because I did a year of research in his lab.

Not sure if that had any effect on anything.

Right but my point is I don't know if having him also be Dean of Faculty had any additional effect other than "oh, that's cool" and then done. I'm sure adcoms weren't like "ZOMG this applicant has a LOR from the Dean of Faculty! They must be a standout! II sent!"

It's a shadowing LOR to begin with so it's really not gonna matter for MD schools

I'd say his ability to really speak about you in the context he knows you will be very important. But who knows at a specific school a specific LOR writer may have some clout

The only element of a LOR I could see being important aside from the content and its ability to communicate the existence of a significant relationship is that the letter reader knows the letter writer personally and knows that "He wouldn't say that about just anyone...." or "He would definitely say that about everyone, he is holding back here", etc. But I am just speculating

It's a shadowing LOR to begin with so it's really not gonna matter for MD schools

I've known him for 3 years and worked on many clinical trials with him. I guess that's my question really - I could def ask the head of our department for a letter and get one, but he doesn't know me nearly as well.

I've known him for 3 years and worked on many clinical trials with him. I guess that's my question really - I could def ask the head of our department for a letter and get one, but he doesn't know me nearly as well.
Go with the person who knows you well, who has been your supervisor, who knows your productivity at work, with whom you've eaten lunch, etc.

Reactions: 2 users

My bad I didn't see the part you worked with him for 2 years in addition to the shadowing. He's your best bet for the LOR don't worry about his name not being "prestigious" enough per se

I have seen letters from US senators and Nobel laureates. They didn't help the mediocre candidates who requested them.

There is a doctor I have shadowed for around 75 total hours over the past year - about 30 Wednesday mornings for 2-4 hours per morning. I also worked with him for the previous 2 years as he is an investigator on the clinical trials that I work on as a CRC/regulatory coordinator, and I have had the opportunity to grab lunch with him a few times to pick his brain about medicine and such. Overall I would say this doc has been a great mentor and some of my experiences with him have really been instrumental in my push toward medicine.

Today I asked him for a letter. He said he was happy to write it and asked me a lot of questions about my intentions and such because he "wants to write the strongest possible letter." Great. However, he did also ask if I was getting letters from any of the other doctors in my dept and commented that he wondered if I should get letters from more prominent doctors than him. I think this is routed in the fact that he has been an attending for only about 2 years while some in the department have been there for 10, 15, 20+

Does this actually matter? I suspect he is thinking more of residency/fellowship applications...