Dr. Collins PCAT Self-Study Guide Thoughts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sg25

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
SUPER helpful!!!! I jumped like 44 points on my composite after taking the class!

Could someone give some examples of what they thought was so helpful about this as opposed to just buying a Kaplan book? I'm sure the self-study guide helps, but I would like to know that it's definitely worth the price.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone else tell me why it works so well? As oppose to kaplan? Or just studying yourself??

Last edited:
Did you take the class or did you just get the study guide review sheets? I'm thinking of taking the course while I'm taking cal 1 and Anatomy 1 next term... What do you think?

I took the course...but I only attended half of the classes cause I hated the drive. But I thinking attending them was beneficial especially the math section because that guy was amazing...showing us ways to save time and everything!

I took the course...but I only attended half of the classes cause I hated the drive. But I thinking attending them was beneficial especially the math section because that guy was amazing...showing us ways to save time and everything!

Is the course only taught in florida? is the material benficial at all or dont bother buying the books if you cant go to the course?

Is the course only taught in florida? is the material benficial at all or dont bother buying the books if you cant go to the course?
This is only in miami and Fort Lauderdale... I haven't taken the course yet, but when you pay for the course they provide all the handouts you need... Here is the link to the website.... http://www.pcatprepclass.com/index.html

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay, you guys have officially persuaded me to buy the self study material. I'm purchasing it first thing after my paycheck on Friday ;)

Btw, I emailed Dr. Collins and he replied quickly and was courteous. He said they do NOT offer a money back guarantee for self study.

It is beneficial even if you can't attend the course itself. I still recommend it!

Okay, you guys have officially persuaded me to buy the self study material. I'm purchasing it first thing after my paycheck on Friday ;)

Btw, I emailed Dr. Collins and he replied quickly and was courteous. He said they do NOT offer a money back guarantee for self study.
Let us know what you think! I think it was the best decision I made as far as going about raising my PCAT score!!!!

Just buy it. I took the PCAT back in 2004 and since I live in OH, I just bought the home study kit. I got an overall composite 95, 98 in chemistry, 96 in biology, verbal 89, quant. 87, and 71 in reading comp...which is my worst area! No essay at that time. I owe it all to him. When you get the study kit...make sure you go through the whole study kit...

BTW, I got into my first choice pharmacy program. And I just graduated this past August w/ PharmD. I totally recommend Dr. Collins home study kit. I only studied his material. I hope this helps.

I wish he did a Naplex review course!!

Last edited:
OHPharmd08, how long did you study (ex. hours per day for x months)? I am taking the January exam and just want to be sure I'll have enough time to cover the material.

If I remember correctly, I rec'd the material in August/September and I took the November exam. You'll have enough time for January...just concentrate on his material. I didn't work at the time...so I studied 4-6 hours per day. But I go overboard with studying. Even right now, I try to study at least 4-8 hours a day for Naplex. Good luck!

Ya know I still have his stuff...I have to retrieve it from the depths of my basement...but I still have it. I have other pcat review stuff, too, but I didn't use them once I rec'd Dr. Collin's stuff. Maybe I should sell it?? :confused:

If I remember correctly, I rec'd the material in August/September and I took the November exam. You'll have enough time for January...just concentrate on his material. I didn't work at the time...so I studied 4-6 hours per day. But I go overboard with studying. Even right now, I try to study at least 4-8 hours a day for Naplex. Good luck!

Ya know I still have his stuff...I have to retrieve it from the depths of my basement...but I still have it. I have other pcat review stuff, too, but I didn't use them once I rec'd Dr. Collin's stuff. Maybe I should sell it?? :confused:

I wish you had told me sooner- I ordered the material this past weekend! I'll let everyone know how it goes for me once I take the January exam...hopefully I'll improve by a lot:luck:

Just buy it. I took the PCAT back in 2004 and since I live in OH, I just bought the home study kit. I got an overall composite 95, 98 in chemistry, 96 in biology, verbal 89, quant. 87, and 71 in reading comp...which is my worst area! No essay at that time. I owe it all to him. When you get the study kit...make sure you go through the whole study kit...

BTW, I got into my first choice pharmacy program. And I just graduated this past August w/ PharmD. I totally recommend Dr. Collins home study kit. I only studied his material. I hope this helps.

I wish he did a Naplex review course!!

ok you talked me into it, i just bought the study kit. I just hope i have enough time to study for the Jan 24 pcat! i work full time 2nd shift m-f. So I am hoping I will get most of my studying done on the weekend.

I recommend the self study. I was skeptical about putting that much money out at first but I'm glad I did. I never been able to get any higher than a 32%. After I used Dr. Collin self study guide, I went up to a 49 % composite. I never put the time in to completely utilized the self study to its full potential. I'm still waiting for my Oct result which I feel will be higher. I DEFINITELY wouldn't even come close to what I have without using Dr. collin's self study. It had to be the more useful study guide I've used to study for the pcat. Not endorsing the product in any way, just giving my opinion from experience with other study guides.

I recommend the self study. I was skeptical about putting that much money out at first but I'm glad I did. I never been able to get any higher than a 32%. After I used Dr. Collin self study guide, I went up to a 49 % composite. I never put the time in to completely utilized the self study to its full potential. I'm still waiting for my Oct result which I feel will be higher. I DEFINITELY wouldn't even come close to what I have without using Dr. collin's self study. It had to be the more useful study guide I've used to study for the pcat. Not endorsing the product in any way, just giving my opinion from experience with other study guides.

how long did it take you to finish all the packets? How long did you study overall? was that the only material you studied from?

Actually I never finished the packet. The first time I used it, I studied for 4 hours the night before the pcat ( I was busy with work). The second time I studied it, I studied about 5 hours for two days. So I didn't really use the packet to its full potential. I probably only got through 1/4 of the packet. Yeah it was the only thing I used as a study guide. Its the closest study guides I used that is anywhere close to the actual pcat.

Actually I never finished the packet. The first time I used it, I studied for 4 hours the night before the pcat ( I was busy with work). The second time I studied it, I studied about 5 hours for two days. So I didn't really use the packet to its full potential. I probably only got through 1/4 of the packet. Yeah it was the only thing I used as a study guide. Its the closest study guides I used that is anywhere close to the actual pcat.

Are you serious?, wow i gotta get this, i have heared all but good things about this Dr. Collins Pcat, i have tried the kaplan and didn't work so well for me, anyway so all you did was read 1/4th of the study guide and you went up 16 points?, imagine if you finished the whole thing...

Yeah all of these success stories are making me pretty excited. I ordered earlier last week for the self-study but it still hasn't come yet. The wait is killing me...I'm ready to get moving on this thing!

Are you serious?, wow i gotta get this, i have heared all but good things about this Dr. Collins Pcat, i have tried the kaplan and didn't work so well for me, anyway so all you did was read 1/4th of the study guide and you went up 16 points?, imagine if you finished the whole thing...

Dont waste your money on that Kaplan stuff. I took the Kaplan Course and it was the biggest waste of my money. Paid $1300 !! I'm still mad just thinking about it !

I feel so proud to have motivated so many by my post! You all are welcome and Dr. Collins is very great i bought it about a month ago! I hope Dr. Collins will thank me

Did you finish all the packets? How long to you study a day?

Got my score today 65 composite !! I only studied a 5 days for it this time. About 4-5 hours each day . I'm jumping jelly beans right now !

you make it feel like the pcat test is a joke.

It's not really a joke. Trust me, it took me 6 tries to get that score. I never studied for more than 4 hours the last time 5 times i took it. But I was determined to put the time and effort in my 6th time using the dr. collins study guide and it just payed off. I didn't bother study for my other tests

I went through the Kaplan pcat study guide and scored a 50 composite... how do you study for this dam exam.... knew most of the content, but not enough time to work the answers out... is Collins worth the time?

I feel so proud to have motivated so many by my post! You all are welcome and Dr. Collins is very great i bought it about a month ago! I hope Dr. Collins will thank me

How is the study guide compared to the Kaplan guide? Is it much better? I have always averaged in the mid 70's when I took the PCAT and am thinking of buying this to boost my score to 90+ but I want to here about differences that make it worth buying as $300 is a major junk for study material. Does anyone have experience with the PCAT Destroyer (http://www.orgoman.com/pcat.html)? I also hear that is really good but only wish to buy one of these guides.

I received my study kit last week. It has a lot of practice tests, which seems to be the best way to study, and the questions are exactly like the PCAT. Their study guides review all of the basics that you need, and doesn't include too much information that you won't need (ex: Kaplan goes overkill on the biology).

It's a good investment. I can see my score improving in January:)

airbornemedic, go to to the website and email your question. They probably do ship to Canada.

I did not take his class, but i have his materials from a friend. First time I got 45%, after I did his package, I got up to 80%. How does it work? You will tell me when you have it.

It took me about 2 to 3 months because I did not study everyday. I believe you can finish it by 1 month.

did you just study from his guide or you used other books such as kaplan ? for the verbal part did you just memorized his words..can you give us explaination oon how you improved to 80 %..thanks

For maths and chem section, I did all the questions with fully understanding. I often went back to general chem book to review and answer the questions on the package. The verbal part is a hard one. I just memory all the words, and did all the questions. I really do not have time to review this section. But the questiions are at the same difficult level compared to the real Pcat. So that, you do not have to study harder or lesser.

Dr. Collin's study guide is well worth the investment; the practice tests are worth their weight in gold. The self-study guides condenses the material down to a manageable level, which helped me manage my anxiety and prevent bouts of being overwhelmed. You can easily spend three hyndred dollars in purchasing numerous study materials, but I found his study packet was the most effective. Half the battle in taking standarized test is in maintaining your mental health and in being well prepared to take these type of tests. Give yourself adequate study time rather than cheat yourself during the exam

Nothing is guarenteed I know people who took this course but still got 40's and 50's while some did make 80's and 90's. I know before the material use to be very similar to the actual PCAT tests but today the material is pretty different but it gives u good practice but just don't expect to pull off miracles. What helped me was taking upper level classes like microbio, Kaplan books, etc.

I just ordered the self study kit from Dr. Collins. Can anyone tell me how long it takes to receive the materials after ordering?