Edward Via - Carolinas (VCOM-CC) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all. I received an ii for March 6! Gail said it was more than likely for a waitlist spot but I'm just thankful for an opportunity to interview and share my heart for medicine! Anyone else interviewing soon?

I just got an interview yesterday for a march date!!! They called and said there are only 5 spots left in the class and we may be interviewing for a wait list.

Members don't see this ad.

I just got an interview yesterday for a march date!!! They called and said there are only 5 spots left in the class and we may be interviewing for a wait list.

Congrats on the interview :) VCOM is awesome I'm sure you will love it!

That's awesome, congrats. Got a call this morning and will be interviewing on March 11th. They said there were a few spots left in the class yet. Anyone else going to be there on this date? Stoked for and opportunity to interview here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a call from Gail today-- ACCEPTED from waitlist!!!!! :D:D:D:D:D ..now just to decide between vcom and wvsom!

Congrats! Jeal. Do you mind if I ask your stats?

Thanks! I had a 3.6 overall, 3.72 science and a 27. (10b, 9v, 8p). I also have 2 years of research experience and an interest to pursue rural medicine which I think probably helped me! Have you heard anything lately?

Thanks! I had a 3.6 overall, 3.72 science and a 27. (10b, 9v, 8p). I also have 2 years of research experience and an interest to pursue rural medicine which I think probably helped me! Have you heard anything lately?

1. I'm surprised you got waitlisted in the first place lol the class must have DEFINITELY been full!

2. Nope! Working on drafting up an update letter right now actually so I guess we'll see!

1. I'm surprised you got waitlisted in the first place lol the class must have DEFINITELY been full!

2. Nope! Working on drafting up an update letter right now actually so I guess we'll see!

Yeah Gail had told me it was! They were waiting to see if people were going to return their deposits.

Finished the secondary on 1/27. Interviewed on 2/11 and got accepted on 2/20!

I am STOKED!

Hey guys! Has anyone started a Facebook group for vcom-cc class of 2017??

congrats all on your acceptances! i'll hopefully be seeing some of you at accepted students day. i'm a 2nd year, getting close to finishing block 7. the promenade (formerly the haven) of boiling springs is doing a resident referral of $500! if any of you put me down, i'll do more than split it with you- i'll give you $300 of it. message me if you're interested :) good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED!!!!

So pumped! Loved the school and am so excited to start this fall!

Congrats! :) When did u get the call!? When did you interview and do you mind sharing your stats?

I interviewed on 3/6 and got the call on Wednesday (3/13).

3.5 cGPA/3.6 sGPA; My highest MCAT was a 25, but I retook in hopes of improving and actually went down to a 23. So not sure which one was used/observed by the committee.

Really, really love the mission of VCOM, especially the international opportunities as I have huge desire to serve in that capacity!

I interviewed on 3/6 and got the call on Wednesday (3/13).

3.5 cGPA/3.6 sGPA; My highest MCAT was a 25, but I retook in hopes of improving and actually went down to a 23. So not sure which one was used/observed by the committee.

Really, really love the mission of VCOM, especially the international opportunities as I have huge desire to serve in that capacity!

Congrats! Join the facebook group and hope to see you on Accepted students day! :D

Also, for the MCAT they look at your highest composite score (add up each highest section regardless of when you took it).

Congrats! Join the facebook group and hope to see you on Accepted students day! :D

Also, for the MCAT they look at your highest composite score (add up each highest section regardless of when you took it).

Well in that case I'd be a 27! Whoop whoop! Haha.

My wife has already started the house/apt hunting -- love how reasonable the area is. Still hasn't sunk in.

Well in that case I'd be a 27! Whoop whoop! Haha.

My wife has already started the house/apt hunting -- love how reasonable the area is. Still hasn't sunk in.

Let it sink in and celebrate! :thumbup: must be a fantastic feeling especially after they told you it was most likely for a waitlist. Congrats again! :)

Does anyone know when they're done interviewing here and start only pulling from the waitlist?

Does anyone know when they're done interviewing here and start only pulling from the waitlist?

I'll betcha if you called them they would be happy to help you out with that question! It doesn't seem like it's too personal of a question to me.

:) Hope you hear good news soon!!!

I am interested in applying to Edward Via-Carolinas in the future. I have only taken a few of my prereqs and will have to take the remaining after I graduate with my bachelor degree.
I am trying to find out if Carolinas has accepted people with community college prereqs. The cheapest university will not be very cheap for me, so I am probably going to rely on a community college for the remaining prereqs.

As long as your grades are strong and your MCAT is competitive, then I don't think it really matters where you went to school. VCOM isn't about name-dropping, it's about creating compassionate and caring physicians that are genuinely concerned about their patient's well-being. You'll be fine, I'm sure!

I am interested in applying to Edward Via-Carolinas in the future. I have only taken a few of my prereqs and will have to take the remaining after I graduate with my bachelor degree.
I am trying to find out if Carolinas has accepted people with community college prereqs. The cheapest university will not be very cheap for me, so I am probably going to rely on a community college for the remaining prereqs.

I took multiple classes at a CC and it didn't seem to be a problem (though I am only on the waitlist :) ) I agree with the above poster though - you should be fine! As far as I know DO schools don't care about CC classes, MD schools do (that could be a stereotype though I'm not positive lol)

Hi all,

I am applying to this school for the 2014 cycle and would like opinions from those accepted in 2013.

My Overall GPA is 3.56, Science 3.31, MCAT 23.
Retaking the MCAT in 2 weeks.
Georgia Resident.

I have a graduate degree (cum laude) and a Biology Degree (Summa Cum Laude) and have taught Anatomy and Phys at a local college for the last year.

Great letters of Recommendation and 100 hours shadowing a DO.

Did anyone have similar stats?

When you interviewed, how heavy were they on the MCAT scores?

Hi all,

I am applying to this school for the 2014 cycle and would like opinions from those accepted in 2013.

Georgia Resident.

I have a graduate degree (cum laude) and a Biology Degree (Summa Cum Laude) and have taught Anatomy and Phys at a local college for the last year.

Hi! I am attending VCOM this August in the class of 2017!

My GPA was similar to yours, but my MCAT was a 26. I would say they didn't really focus on the MCAT much. The interviewers I had were amazing...they made me feel so comfortable, and they seemed to look more at my trend in grades and experiences I had that made me want to be a doctor.

One professor who interviewed me actually asked why I may not have been accepted at other places. I said it was my MCAT (which was the thing on my application that always made me feel uncomfortable). He then went on to say, "Well I figured that may have been it, but that's only a test you take on one given day. Your grades are strong, I can tell your passionate, etc." and that made me feel a lot better.

Hope that helps a little bit! I'm really excited to start at VCOM...they seem so supportive and great!

Hi! I am attending VCOM this August in the class of 2017!

My GPA was similar to yours, but my MCAT was a 26. I would say they didn't really focus on the MCAT much. The interviewers I had were amazing...they made me feel so comfortable, and they seemed to look more at my trend in grades and experiences I had that made me want to be a doctor.

One professor who interviewed me actually asked why I may not have been accepted at other places. I said it was my MCAT (which was the thing on my application that always made me feel uncomfortable). He then went on to say, "Well I figured that may have been it, but that's only a test you take on one given day. Your grades are strong, I can tell your passionate, etc." and that made me feel a lot better.

Hope that helps a little bit! I'm really excited to start at VCOM...they seem so supportive and great!

Thank you! I feel better. I'm retaking the MCAT but not before I apply.

Hi all,

Georgia Resident.

My Overall GPA was 3.52, Science 3.6, MCAT 20,23,23.
Tennessee Resident.
Biology degree. Had a year of ER scribe experience and year of Cardiology MA experience.
Interviewed 10/12 and accepted 11/12. Deferred until class of 2018.

I don't even think my MCAT was brought up at all. More focused on why I wanted to become a physician.

My Overall GPA was 3.52, Science 3.6, MCAT 20,23,23.
Tennessee Resident.
Biology degree. Had a year of ER scribe experience and year of Cardiology MA experience.
Interviewed 10/12 and accepted 11/12. Deferred until class of 2018.

I don't even think my MCAT was brought up at all. More focused on why I wanted to become a physician.

Whew! Thanks mdthomas! I took the MCAT again this morning. But I am not feeling too hot about it. No amount of preparation feels like enough.

Congrats on the acceptance!

What was your response when they asked you why you want to be a physician?

Whew! Thanks mdthomas! I took the MCAT again this morning. But I am not feeling too hot about it. No amount of preparation feels like enough.

Congrats on the acceptance!

What was your response when they asked you why you want to be a physician?

Felt called to the field. Love being able to share my talents and help others at the same time. Want to eventually do missions. etc. etc. Just be honest about your reasons.

Good luck on your missions, mdthomas. And thanks for all the information.
My ACCOMAS has been verified! So exctied to apply!

I'd be wary of what VCOM is trying to sell you. They have some major faculty issues that they've decided not to address. The attrition rate for faculty since its opening has been shocking. They actually fired a Phys prof in the first month for complete incompetence. But they still kept him on staff because his wife (also a Phys prof) is bringing major stem cell research. None of the Phys teachers have any background in teaching the subject. We've had multiple teachers pass through. The class on average did horribly in Phys, which is a major component on boards.

Also, there is essentially no Path teaching. We have SDLs (student directed learning), which means the teacher copies-and-pastes a document together on a particular pathology, we read it, then take an online quiz. Path is also a huge component on boards, so you're basically on your own to learn these subjects.

There doesn't seem to be much of an effort or desire to fix the problem. For Phys - no qualified faculty has been hired. In fact, a prof asked the Dean if she'd like his friend from USC Med to come up and provide Phys lectures. She responded by telling him that it'd give the impression that something was wrong?!? We had a USC prof come up one block and give Path fantastic Path lectures, but VCOM told her that they were proceeding with SDLs only.

I realize a new school is going to have issues, but these problems are systemic in nature. If I had to do it over again I would have waited another year or gone Caribbean. I did really well on my boards, but I can't attribute that to anything VCOM did for me. I eventually put headphones on during class and studied on my own. It definitely was the right move.

Hey guys, I am applying there this year. I have an interview next month. Can someone recommend me a hotel to stay at? There is not a thread for the 2014-2015... Thank you very much!

Hey guys, I am applying there this year. I have an interview next month. Can someone recommend me a hotel to stay at? There is not a thread for the 2014-2015... Thank you very much!

I stayed at the hampton inn I-26 Westgate Mall. Complementary shuttle to/from VCOM and the airport. Rooms are nice, hotel is clean, and hot breakfast is good. About $100 a night so if it fits your budget I would definitely recommend it.

Edit: didn't realize this thread is a few years old! Hopefully the info was still helpful :)

Any current VCOM students out there? I have a question for you.
Can you comment on how accessible the faculty are at the Carolina campus? So I am asking if it is easy to meet with them if you have questions or need any other help related to the class they teach.

Any current VCOM students out there? I have a question for you.
Can you comment on how accessible the faculty are at the Carolina campus? So I am asking if it is easy to meet with them if you have questions or need any other help related to the class they teach.

Any current VCOM students out there? I have a question for you

My question is about the curriculum. I know the first 2 years are broken up into blocks, I was wondering how current students prepared for the COMLEX exam. My concern is that as I progress through the blocks I will become less familiar with the content covered in the earlier blocks. Is there a connection to previously covered blocks that I am not seeing? Or is it just the responsibility of the student to review before block 8?

Any current VCOM students out there? I have a question for you

My question is about the curriculum. I know the first 2 years are broken up into blocks. Is there a connection to previously covered blocks so that you don’t forget the material in the 1st blocks?