Edward Via - Virginia (VCOM-VC) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay so the essays are 500 words max for each essay. How many words do you feel would be sufficient .. my essays are around 100 words. I am trying to be short and concise.

Members don't see this ad.

Okay so the essays are 500 words max for each essay. How many words do you feel would be sufficient .. my essays are around 100 words. I am trying to be short and concise.

Mine were about 200-250 but I have no idea if that was too long or too short.

Posted using SDN Mobile

Reactions: 1 user
i think for your case that is the GPA, u think so too? because your MCAT is like 2 point above the claimed average for this school!
Yes, definitely the gpa and not the MCAT. It was more than likely a standard subject line and email they used. They have thousands of applicants so they probably send out many of the same standard rejection letters. Oh well and good luck to you this cycle!

Members don't see this ad :)
Did they send out secondaries to everyone? Not sure why mine would get screened out?

I thought to get screened out you needed less than 3.2 s and c maybe call and ask

For the question about a service activity that influenced your decision to become a physician, would it be okay to repeat something we talked about in our personal statement? Not copy and paste necessarily, but just use the same experience.

I would say don't say the same e
For the question about a service activity that influenced your decision to become a physician, would it be okay to repeat something we talked about in our personal statement? Not copy and paste necessarily, but just use the same experience.
I would say don't say the same exact thing but just elaborate on it!

Just receieved secondary finally yay

Just receieved secondary finally yay

Same here, I'm choosing the Virginia campus as my number 1 choice. The essay prompts are different from the previous years. Looks like 500 word count max for each essay.

Describe the top three reasons you have chosen osteopathic medicine as your professional choice in becoming a physician (Please use your own description and not one that widely describes the profession).

Professionalism and the ability to gain respect in the community in which you live is of utmost importance as you embark upon a career as a physician. What three professional qualities do you feel a Student Doctor must be able to demonstrate as he/or she makes the transition into the study and practice of medicine. How will you demonstrate those qualities as a medical student at VCOM?

Please describe a volunteer or service activity that played a large part in your decision to become a physician.

In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what In the event you submitted an application to VCOM last year, what improvements have you made to your application?

If you have not completed all the prerequisite coursework, please state how you intend on completing it prior to matriculation.

Can any current students chime in? I came across something in their clerkship section that seemed to say that all rotations (even away rotations) must be completed at an AOA facility. So, no ACGME away rotation sites? If that's true, that will be the nail in the coffin. Any other schools do the same?

What's up VCOM! Applying here with a science GPA of 3.56, cumulative GPA of 3.61, and 26 MCAT (8/8/10). Does anybody know how their residency match looked for this past year? A link would be appreciated. Good luck, everybody.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can any current students chime in? I came across something in their clerkship section that seemed to say that all rotations (even away rotations) must be completed at an AOA facility. So, no ACGME away rotation sites? If that's true, that will be the nail in the coffin. Any other schools do the same?

Bumping this. Can anyone confirm this?

EDIT: I've been looking at the curriculum for EV-COM and really like how they utilized a systems approach to each block. Also kinda funny they have a week between blocks of Rest/Reflection/Remediation haha.

@trailrunr88 perhaps you can ask on the medical student school specific forum and see if an answer pops up.

Last edited:
Any current students have an opinion on which of the VCOM campuses is the best? If offered a seat for 2018 at the Carolina campus, but guaranteed a seat at the Virginia campus at 2019.. Would it be better to take the year off and go to the Virginia campus or just start right away at the Carolinas campus?

Or should it be based on my own preference?

I am not a current student but I would say go with what you think is best for you. I mean in the end you are graduating from VCOM, both have same curriculums, both are VCOM. I also read somewhere the Carolinas Campus has higher acceptance GPA, not sure though. If you only got accepted to VCOM for this year, you have to think about if it is worth it to delay a year to go to VA versus starting this year at CC, the only difference in both campuses I see is location.

@presidentspride73

Has anyone seen any data on their tendency to accept in-state vs. out-of-state applicants? Not only am I out-of-state, I am not in their region (from IL). My stats (3.75 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 30) are good enough that I think I could get an interview as long as they are not too regionally biased. I do like their curriculum quite a bit

Has anyone seen any data on their tendency to accept in-state vs. out-of-state applicants? Not only am I out-of-state, I am not in their region (from IL). My stats (3.75 cGPA, 3.8 sGPA, 30) are good enough that I think I could get an interview as long as they are not too regionally biased. I do like their curriculum quite a bit
Also worth noting that I am not from rural Illinois. The college information book on AACOM says they consider all qualified candidates, but does anyone have insight on how much they REALLY consider non-regional, non-rural applicants?

Also worth noting that I am not from rural Illinois. The college information book on AACOM says they consider all qualified candidates, but does anyone have insight on how much they REALLY consider non-regional, non-rural applicants?
Apply. You'll be fine.

are we supposed to receive an email once our file is complete? i submitted my secondary and mailed all the letters two weeks ago and have not heard anything.

Your stats are good so just make it evident in your essays and at the interview that you want to live in Appalachia. DO schools don't like to train physicians who are just going to move across the country right after graduating. Just emphasize that you're looking forward to a change, etc. You should be fine! Good luck!

are we supposed to receive an email once our file is complete? i submitted my secondary and mailed all the letters two weeks ago and have not heard anything.
Same, I am probably going to call them at the end of the week just to make sure it is all there. I am fine with them taking their time to make decisions, just want to make sure they have everything.

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't received an email or anything of the like as of now, how about the rest of you guys? :poke:

I was wondering the same thing. I haven't received an email or anything of the like as of now, how about the rest of you guys? :poke:
They emailed me that they would email me when it was complete...lol

wondering if I should still apply with a science GPA of 3.16 even though the website states "To be considered a competitive applicant to VCOM, candidates should have achieved at least a 3.2 science and cumulative grade point average, on a 4.0 scale" I make up for it in my MCAT of 28, and my cGPA of 3.32 isn't the worst. any thoughts? I'm a Californian as well

wondering if I should still apply with a science GPA of 3.16 even though the website states "To be considered a competitive applicant to VCOM, candidates should have achieved at least a 3.2 science and cumulative grade point average, on a 4.0 scale" I make up for it in my MCAT of 28, and my cGPA of 3.32 isn't the worst. any thoughts? I'm a Californian as well
maybe look at last years thread and best of luck

Any idea if I can apply without a DO letter?
They said I can with a MD letter but must get a DO letter before matriculation. 30 days after getting accepted.
Do they provide any help getting the DO LOR???

They said I can with a MD letter but must get a DO letter before matriculation. 30 days after getting accepted.
I think it means up until classes. But I'll take it as up until your second deposit to the school.

I think I remember reading that you can actually get a DO letter when you interview here, not 100% sure though :D

My secondary was complete the 17th of July, and I just received the completion e-mail yesterday.

Just a quick question, what is the character limit for each of the secondary apps questions? Thanks in advance!

Finally received my secondary!

"Have you ever been charged with a misdemeanor, felony, summary charge, or any other criminal charge (whether or not you were convicted or even if you were told it was exspunged as these will often show up on the background check)? If yes, specify if you were or were not convicted of the charge. If you were not convicted, list what the status of the charge is. This includes traffic violations but excludes parking violations"

They really want to know about my traffic tickets from high school? Did everyone else list their traffic violations?

Anyone else having trouble submitting this secondary? I get an error message that one of my essays is over 500 words (all of them are under, I've checked multiple times). I've tried all different browsers, logging on/off, pretty much everything I can think of. I've emailed them but no response yet.

Does anyone know where I can find the match list for vcom? I can't find it anywhere online.

Thank you!

Received a call for an interview. I'll be there September 16th!

Received a call for an interview. I'll be there September 16th!

Same here :D I got the call around 1:30 PM. I was pretty surprised because in their most recent email they said they wouldn't extend invites for regular admission until October, since they're doing early admission interviews in Sept. FYI, they gave me 3 options, 9/16, 9/17, 9/19. They didn't seem very flexible about scheduling and wanted to know right then if I could confirm a date.

Reactions: 1 users