EMERGENCY MEDICINE 2015-2016 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anybody interview at Denver and happen to remember if they did the progressive 8 thing at the University hospital too? The wife wasn't too happy with that schedule.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anybody interview at Denver and happen to remember if they did the progressive 8 thing at the University hospital too? The wife wasn't too happy with that schedule.
Yup. Denver health and UC are both the 7-3 7-3 off 3-11 3-11 11-7 "off"

The Children's and St Joe's are 10 or 12 hr shifts... not sure how many but 3-4 a week I think. They said they average 42.5 hr scheduled per week in the ED.

I absolutely love the program but the schedule is brutal (although apparently NYC is worse?).... going to be doing a lot of soul searching!

Reactions: 1 user
This rank list business is a lot harder than I thought. Having to balance location vs. quality of instruction/clinical experience vs. family/friends vs. work schedules...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm literally gonna write down all of my programs on a seperate piece of paper, tape them all to a wall... And than play pin the tail on the program!!

I feel like this summarizes the process of making my ROL and waiting for the Match to determine my fate:

One of my very favorite programs (might even be the best, program-wise) is located in one of my least favorite locations out of those at which I interviewed. It's not a bad place to live, and the location will not actively bother me, but my days off probably won't be as thrilling. THOUGH...the schedule is fantastically designed, so I will have time for my own interests and for my S.O....I will just have to drive a bit further to fulfill my interests.

One of my very favorite programs (might even be the best, program-wise) is located in one of my least favorite locations out of those at which I interviewed. It's not a bad place to live, and the location will not actively bother me, but my days off probably won't be as thrilling. THOUGH...the schedule is fantastically designed, so I will have time for my own interests and for my S.O....I will just have to drive a bit further to fulfill my interests.
I have a similar issue where one of the programs I liked is in a less desirable location, more for the SO than myself. Am still going to rank it top 3, just wish I could move it more northerly

See I smartly avoided all these rank list problems by receiving very few interviews.

Reactions: 6 users
See I smartly avoided all these rank list problems by receiving very few interviews.
Whomp whomp whomp.

Watch, I'll get my like 13th rank and you'll match your 1st.

this...i keep flip flopping on programs lol

what would you guys say then the max number of 12hr shifts reasonable? 15, 18, 20?

I dont think there is a max per se. 20 is brutal, yes...but most programs drop by 1-2 shifts per year and as someone else said most of the 20 shift months are intern year when you might only be in the ED for a few months. That said there are programs that do 20 9's intern year and turn out great residents.

I dont think there is a max per se. 20 is brutal, yes...but most programs drop by 1-2 shifts per year and as someone else said most of the 20 shift months are intern year when you might only be in the ED for a few months. That said there are programs that do 20 9's intern year and turn out great residents.
20 -9 hour shifts is a huge difference than 20 - 12 hour shifts. Having done both, one was tolerable/borderline enjoyable and the other was pure torture...I'll let you decide which one was which. And even if it's 6 months which seems to be the avg em months you would do in intern year...that time does add up to a substantial difference overall...just my $.02

My understanding is that Lincoln and Jacobi do 20 per 28 days, and NYP does 21 per calendar month, at least in PGY1. Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

Unless I'm mistaken Lincoln does 19 intern year then 18, 16, 15 (14 if you are chief). They seem to finish charting on time but its closer to 12.5 hrs if you factor in showing up a few minutes earlier and staying 15-20 minutes late for sign out rounds.

The NYC programs, especially in the Bronx, seem to hammer residents, you are not only there to learn but also to move people through the ED. I definitely feel like the 4th year at some of these programs is just to secure some cheap staffing for the hospital because most of the 4th yr residents I met on rotations/interviews were very capable and essentially functioning as attending's.

As others have said, I don't think you should underestimate the time sink that 12s can be. During residency, it isn't just your days on in the dept, there are also conferences, meetings, research and other responsibilities that you need to take care of (all job related). This is outside of wanting to have a life, study, etc. My program has a light schedule and I still feel as though I barely have enough time for my clinical responsibilities, let alone all of the program-related things I want to do (attending sub-specialty rounds, going to interview dinners/lunches, etc).

All that said, I wouldn't choose just based upon shift length. I think that the most important thing is to find a program that will help you get to the kind of life-after-residency you want to have (if you have an idea of what you want) or have enough diversity to show you what is out there (if you have no clue).

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Now that interview season is winding to a halt, does anyone else think that the entire match process is sort of backwards? Much like common interview topics, I've gotten pretty good at explaining the match to non-medical family/friends/acquaintances in 3-4 short sentences. The last few times I've had to explain it, I couldn't help but throw my hands up and shrug when I conclude that a computer algorithm will ultimately decide where I will live/work for the next 3 years. It's silly that both programs and applicants spend so much time and money to interview each other when the vast majority of applicants match in their top 4 programs. However, the match system forces both parties to play a game of statistics and over-interview.

In addition, we are essentially agreeing to sign employment contracts upon matching. Otherwise we would close the proverbial door on the majority of medical careers if we refuse to sign the contract (or decline to participate in the match altogether). Of course, programs are now required to provide us with sample contracts on interview day, but the real issue is that we are ceding power to negotiate our contracts by entering into this system. This is especially pertinent when you consider the salary is non-negotiable.

Don't get me wrong though --- I'm really not as disgruntled as I may sound. I happen to be applying/interviewing at programs with reasonable salaries for their COL. I thank my lucky stars that I won't have to live somewhere with an outrageous COL on a fixed salary that I can't negotiate... but I still think the system is odd and could be better. I also understand that finding a residency was sort of a sh*tshow in many ways before the match system.

I guess it's somewhat appropriate that the match is part of the healthcare system here in the US. In fact, the two systems have a lot in common:
-frustrating
-imperfect, complex systems that a lot of people don't understand
-points of controversy
-wasteful of time/resources
-makes a few people a lot of money

Last edited:
So I was talking to some of the MS3s at my school this week and the question of having 2 or more SLOEs up by the time ERAS opens came up. I personally had only one SLOE by September 15th (when ERAS opened), and it wasn't until October 1st that my second SLOE came in. I personally don't think it affected me significantly, but wanted to hear from others who were in a similar position.

So I was talking to some of the MS3s at my school this week and the question of having 2 or more SLOEs up by the time ERAS opens came up. I personally had only one SLOE by September 15th (when ERAS opened), and it wasn't until October 1st that my second SLOE came in. I personally don't think it affected me significantly, but wanted to hear from others who were in a similar position.
I only ever had one sloe due to family issues I couldn't do an away. Hasn't hurt me but it's come up a lot. My one sloe was in by oct 1st I believe

I think it's most important to have 3 letters in by early October with at least 1-2 being sloes. I had 2 sloes in by early October but I was waiting on my third letter until early November and I think I should have had at least a placeholder letter in order to meet the application screening requirements. I really think that I was hurt by this. I have pretty average stats for EM, good sloes, no red flags, and my adviser believes I should have had more interviews.

I think it's most important to have 3 letters in by early October with at least 1-2 being sloes. I had 2 sloes in by early October but I was waiting on my third letter until early November and I think I should have had at least a placeholder letter in order to meet the application screening requirements. I really think that I was hurt by this. I have pretty average stats for EM, good sloes, no red flags, and my adviser believes I should have had more interviews.

I completely agree. I received plenty of interviews with 1 SLOE (plus 2 placeholder letters) uploaded by late September. Didn't get my second SLOE until late October.

I have a friend with similar grades/scores who struggled to get interviews. Only major difference was that his 3rd letter wasn't uploaded until mid-October.

I think it really depends on what type of applicant you are. I had 3 SLOEs by September 15th which I think helped in the end. My scores aren't the best (low Step 1) but I knew I'd have strong SLOEs, and those definitely carried a lot of weight in terms of my interviews (I had great invites before October 1st). Do I think there would have been a significant difference between Sep 15th vs. Oct 1st? No. But SLOEs can make your application and if you're the type of person that may be "better" in person than on paper, earlier is always better.

I had 1 by 9/15 and 2 by the second week of October and I think it hurt me, I know there was at least 1 program that wait listed me due to the missing SLOE and I never got off. If you can have 2 before October that's probably best, but I'm an average osteopathic applicant and got plenty of interviews for both AOA and ACGME despite the late letter.

ETA I had two non sloes by 9/15 so the only programs it hurt me with were the one that require two sloes, some only require one.

I think the general consensus you get for most people is that it's best to have two SLOEs in by the time Dean's letters are released. But you can get over it if you don't it just is not as good as if you had them in. i'm one of those weird people who only had one SOL E and had a letter that didn't come in until like mid October and I ended up doing OK but I'm not the norm on that. (I think I just had a compelling reason)

So my advice to curtain 30 years would be to try to do their home AI in like June or July and then do it away or two shortly thereafter. If you can't get in the way, at least have other letters in and add SLOEs later.

The other thing to be mindful of is previously programs have been able to write more than one SLOE but the official status form CORD is that they only want one coming from any institution.

On a completely unrelated note, anyone who's living Mid East coast, be safe! People are idiots when it comes to driving in the snow. Snowpocolypse 2016

I'm curious to see what my new Jeep Wrangler will do in this snow storm. Ghost ride the whip anyone ;)?!

Lol what's up with EM people and jeeps? Know
an unusually high number of residents in EM who are jeep owners

You can't appreciate the feeling until you are behind the wheel of a majestically made, 4 wheel drive, bumpy ridden, hot organge SUV with an extra wheel on the back :). Not to mention the chicks totally dig em lol...and after all that's pretty much all there is to life anyways...right??

I'm curious to see what my new Jeep Wrangler will do in this snow storm. Ghost ride the whip anyone ;)?!
Are you even getting any of it? I assumed you were too west to get any.

You can't appreciate the feeling until you are behind the wheel of a majestically made, 4 wheel drive, bumpy ridden, hot organge SUV with an extra wheel on the back :). Not to mention the chicks totally dig em lol...and after all that's pretty much all there is to life anyways...right??

Keys to a guys heart: chicks and keeps. Gooood to know

My pathetic insight is going to be terrible . 1-2 feet of snow, here we come!

I think the general consensus you get for most people is that it's best to have two SLOEs in by the time Dean's letters are released. But you can get over it if you don't it just is not as good as if you had them in. i'm one of those weird people who only had one SOL E and had a letter that didn't come in until like mid October and I ended up doing OK but I'm not the norm on that. (I think I just had a compelling reason)

So my advice to curtain 30 years would be to try to do their home AI in like June or July and then do it away or two shortly thereafter. If you can't get in the way, at least have other letters in and add SLOEs later.

The other thing to be mindful of is previously programs have been able to write more than one SLOE but the official status form CORD is that they only want one coming from any institution.

I did well with 0 SLOEs and 1 EM LOR. I think that's the reason I got most my invites in December. Im definitely not the norm.

Not at all medical but this was my car at 10AM with 12 more hours of snow yet to fall
ImageUploadedBySDN1453570699.081706.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN1453570710.332789.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
That is NO jeep my friend :p lol. Hope you have netflix and ****load of cookies and snacks, bc you ain't going anywhere by the looks of it!!!
We tried to dig it out as the SO wanted to go into work to help (everyone else called off) but we didn't make a dent after over half an hour and had to give up!

ImageUploadedBySDN1453579059.288991.jpg

The car has now come to blend in with its natural environment, safe from predators until the spring melt...

So, I'm from Florida, and I'm wondering how you get to the hospital when it snows like that? If the bottom drops out like that over the course of several hours before the roads can be plowed, do you inevitably miss shifts?

Right now, no ones going anywhere. There were a few counties with travel restrictions in fact (no driving unless an emergency).
Those who live close go in, those far away either stay more on top of shoveling than I am or stay at the hospital

I tried searching some old threads to get an answer to this but came up empty handed. I'm going to a second look this week (that I requested -- not stellar enough to get invited for one). I'm not sure how these days are set up? I want to get a better feel for this program but don't want to spend too long or too little time in the ED. Do people generally spend a whole shift or a couple hours? Any insight would be appreciated.

I tried searching some old threads to get an answer to this but came up empty handed. I'm going to a second look this week (that I requested -- not stellar enough to get invited for one). I'm not sure how these days are set up? I want to get a better feel for this program but don't want to spend too long or too little time in the ED. Do people generally spend a whole shift or a couple hours? Any insight would be appreciated.

So one I spent like 90 (maybe less?) minutes in 2 of their 4 ED sites just to get a feel for how their EDs run and interactions with staff/nurses. It actually moved the place lower on my list because residents (senior) struggled with knowing how things worked because they go to so many sitea.

Tomorrow I'm doing one and going to part of conference and then spend some time in the ED. I'm assuming I can spend as much or as little time shadowing as I want. (I did one because it was local and tomorrow because it's high on my list but I was here in November and can't remember much haha and I was able to get a flight with points and stay with a friend.) My goal is to get a sense of whether I could see myself working with these residents and faculty in that particular ED.

So one I spent like 90 (maybe less?) minutes in 2 of their 4 ED sites just to get a feel for how their EDs run and interactions with staff/nurses. It actually moved the place lower on my list because residents (senior) struggled with knowing how things worked because they go to so many sitea.

Tomorrow I'm doing one and going to part of conference and then spend some time in the ED. I'm assuming I can spend as much or as little time shadowing as I want. (I did one because it was local and tomorrow because it's high on my list but I was here in November and can't remember much haha and I was able to get a flight with points and stay with a friend.) My goal is to get a sense of whether I could see myself working with these residents and faculty in that particular ED.

Thanks so much for your helpful post. I have the same goal -- just didn't want to seem uninterested if I stayed for a short period of time or stay too long and be a pain. Did you ask your programs what to wear? Seems like the consensus from some old threads is business casual.

Thanks so much for your helpful post. I have the same goal -- just didn't want to seem uninterested if I stayed for a short period of time or stay too long and be a pain. Did you ask your programs what to wear? Seems like the consensus from some old threads is business casual.

Business casual is fine.

I observed in the ED at my top 5 choices. Spent at least 4 hours at each hospital (half a shift). At least in my opinion its hard to get a good feel of a program in under a couple hours. Ideally your goal is to get a sense of the residents, attendings, nursing, ancillary staff, workflow, EMR, and patient population. You want to know if you'd be happy working there for the next 3-4years.

I did ask, and I'm wearing scrubs which they suggested. I spent time after one interview in the ED in a suit and it felt super bizarre to not wear scrubs.

re-posting here as requested...

Having trouble putting these in order on the ROL. Same city, hospitals across the street from each other. Any thoughts?

My thoughts -
UTH: Good vibe on interview day and at pre-interview social, residents seem happy. Not as good vibes during shadowing, resident seemed pretty stressed out. Great trauma exposure, life flight, paid global health experience.

Baylor: Good vibe at pre-interview social and during shadowing. Residents seemed happy. During shadowing, seemed like a lot of autonomy, good relationship between attending and residents. Not as good vibes on interview day, short interviews with canned questions. Pride themselves on service, county hospital.

Last edited:
anybody here rotate at UMD and have thoughts on the program? thanks!

Had 1 sloe. ~30 invites. No, it doesn't matter.

I'd like to hear impressions about the University of Nevada. I love it on paper (especially the event medicine), but I had a classmate that rotated there and mentioned that some of the faculty didn't really like to teach, and that it very much a "move the meat" kind of place.

I'd like to hear impressions about the University of Nevada. I love it on paper (especially the event medicine), but I had a classmate that rotated there and mentioned that some of the faculty didn't really like to teach, and that it very much a "move the meat" kind of place.
interviewed there, residents were cool, but some of the faculty and admin just rubbed me the wrong way.

Can anyone comment on whether interviews came around? Did the late season movement everyone predicted actually happen?

Couple dozen invites late Sept through mid Oct. Then one in Nov and one in Jan. Not much late movement on my end.

n=1