Errors with CIIs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sparda29

En Taro Adun
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys do regarding errors with CII medications? For example, this happened at the pharmacy.

Instead of giving the patient 40 tablets of Oxycodone, the pharmacist gave the patient 50 tablets. He realized he made the mistake when he went to write the numbers into the CII log and discovered he was short 10 tablets.

How is an error like this handled? Do you go and call the patient and ask them to return 10 tablets? Is 10 tablets a small enough quantity where you don't have to report the loss to the DEA?

Members don't see this ad.

My recommendation is to call the doctor, explain the situation, get a prescription for the 10 tablets, process it, and DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. In addition, let the patient know what happened. If the patient offers to pay for the extra 10 tablets, let them but don't tell them that they don't have to.

This is a situation where as long as everyone tells the truth, nobody will get in trouble. It will happen to everyone somewhere along the line.

This is a situation where as long as everyone tells the truth, nobody will get in trouble. It will happen to everyone somewhere along the line.

I think this would be true for any minor mistake, the truth is always the best option.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with getting a script for 10 tablets. That is the easiest fix. Having the patient return the 10 tabs and putting them back in stock would be illegal (at least in the states I'm licensed in).

This is much ado about nothing.

You can:

• Grovel before the doctor and tell him you can't count and beg for an rx for 10 tablets.
  • Get the pills back from the patient. Which by the way is perfectly legal, while reselling them is definitely not.
  • Make a note of the discrepancy in the log book and notify the proper people in your corporate structure. This is exactly what the DEA does not want to hear about.
DEA has become aware of instances in which registrants have used a DEA Form 106 to document or explain minor inventory discrepancies, thereby "balancing the books.'' DEA wishes to stress that the DEA Form 106 should be used only to document thefts or significant losses of controlled substances. Minor inventory discrepancies, not attributable to theft, should not be reported to DEA or recorded on a DEA Form 106. Rather, registrants should make appropriate notations of minor inventory discrepancies in their records, indicating the amount of variance between the physical count and the amount accounted for through records. Such discrepancies need not be reported to DEA if they are not significant or actual losses. If a registrant is unsure of the significance of a loss after considering the factors described below, the registrant should file the report. Any continuing pattern of loss of seemingly insignificant quantities should always be considered significant.
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2003/fr0708.htm

So you decide the best course of action, how much time you want to waste and how stupid you want to appear to a collaborating physician.

Get the pills back from the patient. Which by the way is perfectly legal, while reselling them is definitely not
So you'd basically just document the loss and move on. If they do happen to return them, what do you do with them? The old coffee grounds routine?

So you'd basically just document the loss and move on. If they do happen to return them, what do you do with them? The old coffee grounds routine?

You send them back to the same place you use to process your returns or you contact the DEA and they will advise you on the proper method of destruction. If you get them back, I would segregate them and return them when they went out of date. You would not document the loss, as there is no loss. If you don't get them back, document them and move on.

This is much ado about nothing.

You can:

• Grovel before the doctor and tell him you can't count and beg for an rx for 10 tablets.
  • Get the pills back from the patient. Which by the way is perfectly legal, while reselling them is definitely not.
  • Make a note of the discrepancy in the log book and notify the proper people in your corporate structure. This is exactly what the DEA does not want to hear about.
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed_regs/rules/2003/fr0708.htm

So you decide the best course of action, how much time you want to waste and how stupid you want to appear to a collaborating physician.

Agreed...Wouldnt waste my time filing a DEA 106...honestly, i would call the pt and see if they would return them...