ExamKracker VERBAL 101 SCORES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuredoctr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious if there was anyone else using these? I took the first one last night at a busy starbucks (to begin to aclimate myself to the "be prepared for anything" test climate) and I got rocked. I scored a 5!! :scared:. Its okay though because I knew verbal was going to be the hardest. I was curious if anyone else using these tests could post their scores and or advice (I know there was a thread a while back, but that was for the April exam and I'm in need of encouragment and advice from the august takers. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh...I absolutely HATE verbal!

Here are my EK 1O1 scores (old version with 60 questions)

1: 3
2: 37/60 8
3: 38/60 8
4: 41/60 9
5: 38/60 8
6: 41/60 9
7: 37/60 8
8: 41/60 9
9: 39/60 8

I have noticed that in most of the tests, I get maybe 2-3 wrong per passage which would be around 9-10, however in one or two passages I will totally BOMB and score 2/7 or 3/8 which really kills my score. It is notably the passages regarding government or foreign policies that throw me for a loop. I will start reading the passage and get completely LOST. I am planning on completely the TPRH verbal after the EK so hopefully I can score at least a 10 on the real deal. Any suggestions would be great!

Synaptic,

Take my opinion with a grain of salt... but if you have TPR and Kaplan, compare those results/feel with AAMC. Personally I think EK is a little bit off target but clearly many many people disagree. But since your scores seem to have flat-lined on EK, I would give it a try.

Damn.

I got a 9 on the 1st,

a 10 on the 2nd,

a 9 on the 3rd...

and then I took an AAMC 8 one and got a freaking 7. (24/40)

Here are my EK scores:
7. 10
8. 9
9. 10
10. 8
11. 7

EK helped me improve initially, but now I guess I'm getting worse

I took AAMC FL afterwards:

3. 9
4. 8

I think there is a difference though in taking it after a PS section, vs just doing the reading section alone .

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh...I absolutely HATE verbal!

Here are my EK 1O1 scores (old version with 60 questions)

1: 3
2: 37/60 8
3: 38/60 8
4: 41/60 9
5: 38/60 8
6: 41/60 9
7: 37/60 8
8: 41/60 9
9: 39/60 8

I have noticed that in most of the tests, I get maybe 2-3 wrong per passage which would be around 9-10, however in one or two passages I will totally BOMB and score 2/7 or 3/8 which really kills my score. It is notably the passages regarding government or foreign policies that throw me for a loop. I will start reading the passage and get completely LOST. I am planning on completely the TPRH verbal after the EK so hopefully I can score at least a 10 on the real deal. Any suggestions would be great!

I did 9 EK 101 tests and then switched over to TPRH verbal. EK helped with timing, but TPRH's passages are much more like the ones I've seen on the aamc's

Also the same thing happens to me lol, I can go 4 passages missing only 1 or 2 questions, and then I miss 4 or 5 questions on one

Wow these are some excellent scores .. well done

Just wondering, are you taking them as a full length section? Or a few passages every day? I personally have the new edition of the book (40 instead of 60 questions)

I take them as a full-length section and time myself (85 minutes for 60 questions). For EK 3, I took it between classes and only had time for 40 questions initially. I got 35/40, ~12, and went to class. Physics II was boring though so I decided to finish the rest of it during class while wearing earplugs. Gave myself 25 minutes for three passages.

I take them as a full-length section and time myself (85 minutes for 60 questions). For EK 3, I took it between classes and only had time for 40 questions initially. I got 35/40, ~12, and went to class. Physics II was boring though so I decided to finish the rest of it during class while wearing earplugs. Gave myself 25 minutes for three passages.

haha during class? wow lol I would score a 3 if I do that - well done

EK 1: 10 (31/40)
EK 3: 9 (28/40)
EK 4: 9 (29/40)
EK 5: 11 (34/40)
EK 6: 10 (31/40)
EK 7: 11. (33/40)
EK 8: 10. (31/40)

Ugh.... I just want to break a 12!

What do you think.... Zoom into the text and try to understand every sentence and then process? Or Zoom out and try to understand the paragraph as a unit without focusing on every idea. There are so many detail AND broad questions that idk which one works best anymore.

I'm not talking about those light natural science passages... I'm talking poetic-philosophy with sentences that don't sound like english anymore.

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think.... Zoom into the text and try to understand every sentence and then process? Or Zoom out and try to understand the paragraph as a unit without focusing on every idea. There are so many detail AND broad questions that idk which one works best anymore.

I'm not talking about those light natural science passages... I'm talking poetic-philosophy with sentences that don't sound like english anymore.

zoom out

Just did EK 10 and am back down to a 9...

My dreams of getting an 11 or 12 in VR are slowly but surely dying....

Just did EK 10 and am back down to a 9...

My dreams of getting an 11 or 12 in VR are slowly but surely dying....

LOL... don't get discouraged by EK verbal. I would seriously just use it as conditioning for your mind to keep focus on passages and think critically. EK verbal is most definitely NOT a good predictor of your final score. Pretty much no prep company's verbal will be. Verbal reasoning is largely subjective and way more variable than the sciences, so therefore no one can create a consistent verbal reasoning exam. Not even AAMC.

Reactions: 1 user
I get 9's on the EK VR. Got a 12 on AAMC 3.

And as far as those of you looking for the best resource to help you improve your VR score...get LSAT study matierals and do their reading comp. Even though it's not the exact same as MCAT verbal, it's great at forcing you to think critically while also subjecting you to reading even more convoluted and boring passages. It's a great thing for building concentration and focus.

I get 9's on the EK VR. Got a 12 on AAMC 3.

And as far as those of you looking for the best resource to help you improve your VR score...get LSAT study matierals and do their reading comp. Even though it's not the exact same as MCAT verbal, it's great at forcing you to think critically while also subjecting you to reading even more convoluted and boring passages. It's a great thing for building concentration and focus.

I'm so against using LSAT - In my opinion everyone planning to read The Economics should do LSAT but by no means LSAT can be better than EK101. Verbal is not a reading comprehension test like LSAT. Just my 2 cents

It may not be better than EK at emulating the MCAT (not that EK is very good), but it's certainly better at sharpening critical thinking skills

Went through all EK Full length Verbals except 12 (idk how I ended up skipping that). I thought FL 13 & 14 were hard af ( got a 6 & 7, respectively) and I usually get 10-11's (got a 12 on FL 10).

I'll be taking FL 12 tomorrow and post the results.

Mann I got raped.. I got a 7. I had to guess completely on a whole passage due to time. 6 Q's. Only 2 of em were right :blackeye:

I feel like some days I'm on fire w/ verbal, and other days Im just so out of it. Does anyone else feel remotely the same?

yeah, I was getting mostly 9, 10 and 11s then all of a sudden I got a 6 on EK 11.
maybe they get harder on the later tests

Do the 2 versions of the book (version 1 published 2002 with 60 questions per exam: http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-...F8&qid=1396235229&sr=8-7&keywords=MCAT+VERBAL & version 2 published 2008 with 40 questions per exam: http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-...F8&qid=1396235229&sr=8-1&keywords=MCAT+VERBAL) have different passages and questions, or is the 2nd version just a shorted copy of the 1st? I currently have the 2nd version, and between that and TPRH I'm averaging a 9 in both books over the first 5 & 4 tests respectively (based on 40q per test & the EK101 grading scale). Since I don't mind and actually kind of enjoy practicing verbal, I'm considering buying the 1st version if it's different and doing more than 2/3 passages per day (my exam is 2months away exactly).

Do the 2 versions of the book (version 1 published 2002 with 60 questions per exam: http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-Passages-MCAT-Verbal-Reasoning/dp/1893858243/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1396235229&sr=8-7&keywords=MCAT VERBAL & version 2 published 2008 with 40 questions per exam: http://www.amazon.com/Examkrackers-Passages-MCAT-Verbal-Reasoning/dp/1893858553/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1396235229&sr=8-1&keywords=MCAT VERBAL) have different passages and questions, or is the 2nd version just a shorted copy of the 1st? I currently have the 2nd version, and between that and TPRH I'm averaging a 9 in both books over the first 5 & 4 tests respectively (based on 40q per test & the EK101 grading scale). Since I don't mind and actually kind of enjoy practicing verbal, I'm considering buying the 1st version if it's different and doing more than 2/3 passages per day (my exam is 2months away exactly).
They cut out the extra passages from each test and moved them into their own test sections. I believe all of the passages are exactly the same!

I'm feeling pretty pathetic right now. Took my first EK diagnostic today from the 101 passages book:

EK 1-4 :thumbdown:

I also otherwise have TPRH verbal book too. I read of others here doing a few passages a day. I'm not sure if I would have enough passages to do a few a day though. My plan was to otherwise do an EK exam every few days (14 total) and then move on to the PR book. I'm taking the MCAT on July 12th and was otherwsie from there was hoping to do more with verbal practice on the AAMC tests throughout June and into July.

Anyone have any suggestions?

So I am taking AAMC FLs now and did EK 101 tests 1-4 for 1 month and then kind of got bored honestly and stopped. I got 10s and 11s on the EK tests and have gotten 12s on the past 2 full lengths; they also feel a little different. So don't get too hung up on the score until you take a couple of full lengths. By all means continue doing the EK 101, but the main thing they help develop is reading speed and focus on long passages.

Reactions: 1 users
So I am taking AAMC FLs now and did EK 101 tests 1-4 for 1 month and then kind of got bored honestly and stopped. I got 10s and 11s on the EK tests and have gotten 12s on the past 2 full lengths; they also feel a little different. So don't get too hung up on the score until you take a couple of full lengths. By all means continue doing the EK 101, but the main thing they help develop is reading speed and focus on long passages.

Good to know, thank you for your input. I'll start doing passages from TPRH book too then and stick with my plan on continuing to do an EK test every few days. Hoping to see progress.

Progress post:

EK 1: 4

EK 2: 7

I am using the 101 EK verbal book along with the TPRH verbal book. Been doing two passages a day from the hyperlearning book and following up with an exam from EK once a week so far. Hoping to continue to see progress.

I have the old version of EK 101 (with 60 questions per test) and was doing full exams til last week - decided to cut the exams to 40 questions starting this week cutting the last (two?) passages from each. Can anyone post the raw score conversion from the latest EK 101 version? Thanks!

EK 7, 35/40

I have the old version of EK 101 (with 60 questions per test) and was doing full exams til last week - decided to cut the exams to 40 questions starting this week cutting the last (two?) passages from each. Can anyone post the raw score conversion from the latest EK 101 version? Thanks!

EK 7, 35/40

40 - 15
39 - 14
37-38 - 13
35-36 - 12
33-34 - 11
30-32 - 10
28-29 - 9
26-27 - 8
23-25 - 7

Scales are obviously different for the AAMC exams though. Sometimes 35 is an 11, sometimes a 12.

EK 1: 7
EK 2: 11
EK 3: 9
EK 4: 10
EK 5: 8
EK 6: 10
EK 7: 10
EK 8: 11

and my scores for the TPRH verbal book in order are (just based on 40q & EK scale): 8, 7, 10, 9, 12, 11

= 9.5 average overall
= 10.8 average on last 5 tests

Here are my EK scores:
7. 10
8. 9
9. 10
10. 8
11. 7

EK helped me improve initially, but now I guess I'm getting worse

I took AAMC FL afterwards:

3. 9
4. 8

I think there is a difference though in taking it after a PS section, vs just doing the reading section alone .
Just saw this post !! I did so bad on 11-13 EK . I give up :( They are so difficult and tricky

Just saw this post !! I did so bad on 11-13 EK . I give up :( They are so difficult and tricky

I'm working on BR Verbal right now, and its VERY crazy. There is not enough time to read the long passages, then read the long questions, then the long answers, and then any fair amount of time to think about what the answers should be. I wasnt doing that well on BR, but I just took a TPR Verbal Test 1 yesterday, and scored the "calculated equivalent" of a 12, so I know I'm getting better now.

Dont feel discouraged, some of this material is not really like the real verbal from what I'm seeing. TPR seems to be the BEST resource IMHO. Wish I had saved it for last.

I'm working on BR Verbal right now, and its VERY crazy. There is not enough time to read the long passages, then read the long questions, then the long answers, and then any fair amount of time to think about what the answers should be. I wasnt doing that well on BR, but I just took a TPR Verbal Test 1 yesterday, and scored the "calculated equivalent" of a 12, so I know I'm getting better now.

Dont feel discouraged, some of this material is not really like the real verbal from what I'm seeing. TPR seems to be the BEST resource IMHO. Wish I had saved it for last.

I agree! BR Verbal is impossible. The length of the passages and the questions are not realistic for the amount of time we have.

TPR is the best source IMO also.

Are you retaking any of the Verbals ? I ran out of the TPR's :( I'm hoping for an 8-10 I'll be content. It my weakest section; My other scores are good; hoping my score won't suffer too much.

I agree! BR Verbal is impossible. The length of the passages and the questions are not realistic for the amount of time we have.

Are you retaking any of the Verbals ? I ran out of the TPR's :( I'm hoping for an 8-10 I'll be content. It my weakest section; My other scores are good; hoping my score won't suffer too much.
Same here. Range from 7-10.

i went back and started redoing some of the passages in the beginning that I had done a LONG time ago. but I've used that all up. I'm just burning through any and all content so I'm doing BR passages anyways.

theres also the Kaplan verbal tests too.

i went back and started redoing some of the passages in the beginning that I had done a LONG time ago. but I've used that all up. I'm just burning through any and all content so I'm doing BR passages anyways.

theres also the Kaplan verbal tests too.

Kaplan is mostly specific detail retrieval IMO. Good luck to us all lol. I hope the verbal is not too bad + a nice curve :)

+pity+

:bang:

EK FLT: 9
EK 1: 7
EK2: 7

By the end I'm tiring out and make mistakes like not reading the last word of the question like..The author believes all... "EXCEPT"

I have formulating my own strategy by trying diff things. Basically, take time to understand the passage and take 2 seconds after each paragraph to recap what is being said. Then answer questions -- (I know it's not much of a strategy)

Another progress post:

EK1: 4

EK3: 6

So gradually getting better. I plan to do my 4th Verbal test from EK tomorrow. Hoping to continue to improve. I otherwise, starting today, am doing four passages a day over the two I was originally doing. I'm going through the practice passages through the Verbal workbook from PR. Two new passages a day and two old passages that I did a month ago. Hoping it'll help.

Another progress post:

EK1: 4

EK3: 6

So gradually getting better. I plan to do my 4th Verbal test from EK tomorrow. Hoping to continue to improve. I otherwise, starting today, am doing four passages a day over the two I was originally doing. I'm going through the practice passages through the Verbal workbook from PR. Two new passages a day and two old passages that I did a month ago. Hoping it'll help.

EK 4: Score of 4....

Now that I've done the first third of tests from EK, I'm hoping to go through each one and figure out what type of questions I've been missing/getting wrong and figure out what I can do to improve before doing any more tests.

Does anyone have any good non-verbal test sources that they would recommend that's helped them to improve on critical thinking skills? I honestly am at a loss with it. I know The Economist has been recommended but I don't have a subscription for it.

EK #1: 6 (YIKES)
EK #2: 10 (was so happy)
EK #3: 9
EK #4: 9
EK #5: 7
EK #6: 7
EK #7: 8
EK #8: 10 (woo!!)

Only the last two were timed and I finished in 53 minutes. I want to score a 12+ so hopefully my scores keep improving after #8

Last edited:
Got an 11 on the first practice test. Did anybody else find the first practice test to be really straightforward? There were only a few muddy answer choices. I don't know how representative it is.

Started with a 2 on aamc 3,

EK 101
1) 6
3)7
4)6
5)6
6)8
7)8
Hopefully with more practice I will increase my score iA
Which book do you guys recommend doing next? Im thinking about start TPR as soon as I finish

honestly EK has been the death of me... some of their answer choices are SO WRONG. I want to burn the book. I feel like it's super hard to get consistent scores.. on TPRH I can finally see a pattern but def not for my EK101 scores. :(

honestly EK has been the death of me... some of their answer choices are SO WRONG. I want to burn the book. I feel like it's super hard to get consistent scores.. on TPRH I can finally see a pattern but def not for my EK101 scores. :(
That's really frustrating! I know how you feel. I thought the first EK test was easy, but all the others have been super tricky, and I can't get back to my first score! I have taken the first six tests: 11,9,10,10,10,10. :bang: