Factors when picking a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whyrightmeow

OSU c/o 2012
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am in my first year and there are a few things I wish I would have considered before I made my final decision. These are only my opinion, and I won't be offended if yours varies. I am only posting this because I wish I would have read something like it before I made my decision.

I am at The Ohio State University right now as an out of state student.

Positives:
Can apply for resident tuition next year
Great school, nice facilities
Curriculum includes Professional development - basically a 1 credit course on a variety of topics including stress, time managment, finances, etc
Parking is right outside the building
Parking pass is a hang tag, so carpoolers can share 1 tag between several cars
24 hr access to building
Nice recreational facility/wall climbing
Social worker available 24/7 (for when you finally have that meltdown)

Negatives:
Quarter system (not semesters) - this complicates everything. Plus you don't finish until June.
Can only leave for 3 weeks over the summer - so any externship must be in-state unless it is HIGHLY unusual.
Lockers are tiny; a normal bookbag will not fit into them. It is also very crowded when everyone is trying to get to their locker at the same time. (seems minor, I know, but its the little stresses that are the worst)

Things I wish I would have asked:
Is anatomy lab structured, or do you just get a dog and a book? (Our canine anatomy lab is, in my opinion, poorly structured)
Are tests returned to students, or is it against honor code to write down questions from the test? (At OSU vet school no tests are returned, EVER. This bothers me after every test, since I like to know what I got wrong and what the correct answer was - this may have been a deal-breaker for me)
How much (live) animal interaction is there for first year students?
Do you buy class notes or are they posted online so notes can be taken directly on a laptop? (I was amazed at needing to buy 80% of my notes, when I came from an undergrad school that I never once bought a course pack for)
Is the schedule set, or does it change from day to day? (Our schedule has a main theme, but basically changes a little each day)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
Semester vs block systems? HELP!

So I have been accepted into Mizzou, and I am waiting on ISU. I am trying to make a decision so I am prepared with one in case I get accepted. My biggest issue right now is how different their curriculum is. Without focusing at all on that, my decision is ISU, for many reasons, not all (or many) academic. But i am PAYING to go to vet school and get a DVM EDUCATION. So I feel the curriculum should be my biggest deciding factor, right?

I absolutely LOVE Mizzou's 2+2 program. On top of that, I love the block system where you are taking fewer (4-5) classes at a time for a shorter period of time (6-10 wks). I understand that these reasons cause the shortening of summer and holiday breaks a little, but that's not a huge deal for me. This makes me fear Iowa's semester system taking 10-12 classes at a time for a much longer period of time. I feel like the stress would be so much greater in that fashion. However, on a few of those classes are high credit hour classes, many of them only 1 c.h. BUT I also struggle with only the one year of clinical.

I was wondering if anyone could provide their input on the semester vs the block system? I would love to hear everyone's opinions! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)

So I have been accepted into Mizzou, and I am waiting on ISU. I am trying to make a decision so I am prepared with one in case I get accepted. My biggest issue right now is how different their curriculum is. Without focusing at all on that, my decision is ISU, for many reasons, not all (or many) academic. But i am PAYING to go to vet school and get a DVM EDUCATION. So I feel the curriculum should be my biggest deciding factor, right?

I absolutely LOVE Mizzou's 2+2 program. On top of that, I love the block system where you are taking fewer (4-5) classes at a time for a shorter period of time (6-10 wks). I understand that these reasons cause the shortening of summer and holiday breaks a little, but that's not a huge deal for me. This makes me fear Iowa's semester system taking 10-12 classes at a time for a much longer period of time. I feel like the stress would be so much greater in that fashion. However, on a few of those classes are high credit hour classes, many of them only 1 c.h. BUT I also struggle with only the one year of clinical.

I was wondering if anyone could provide their input on the semester vs the block system? I would love to hear everyone's opinions! Thank you!
the biggest factor should be cost.

the biggest factor should be cost.

This person has posted their story on a couple different posts and explained in a different thread that the difference would be 2k since they could get Missouri residency if they wanted to. I think it was in the c/o 2020 thread.

This person has posted their story on a couple different posts and explained in a different thread that the difference would be 2k since they could get Missouri residency if they wanted to. I think it was in the c/o 2020 thread.
2k each year still adds up over time. that's 8k + interest.

Yes that was it, and I apologize. I have edited them to not include the same information. I was unaware of the cross-posting rule. Sorry for any annoyances/confusions.

On the other hand, while it may be appealing a 2+2 system that decreases overall vacation time may not seem like a big deal now, but in vet school, you will likely be dying for a break. Just something to consider

Reactions: 1 users
On the other hand, while it may be appealing a 2+2 system that decreases overall vacation time may not seem like a big deal now, but in vet school, you will likely be dying for a break. Just something to consider

That is true. Do either of you think that a semester of 30 c.h. would be any easier/harder than 3 blocks of 10 c.h. each in the same time frame? Part of me thinks the stress would be greater juggling more at a time, but so many people seem to do fine so I shouldn't have to worry about it.

You have less time to deal with the lesser amount. It basically comes out to the same thing in my mind. take 20-something credits for 17 weeks versus 10-something credits for 10 weeks.

That is true. Do either of you think that a semester of 30 c.h. would be any easier/harder than 3 blocks of 10 c.h. each in the same time frame? Part of me thinks the stress would be greater juggling more at a time, but so many people seem to do fine so I shouldn't have to worry about it.
I think they are about equal. I mean, they are both harder than undergrad for sure, but I don't think the length of time is necessarily a detriment. For me, it probably would have been a plus - I can remember more details for a shorter period of time. The decreased vacation time may take a toll, though

Members don't see this ad :)
The problem is hardly anyone (if anyone) will have experienced both. All I can tell you is that I made 30 credit hour semesters work, as did the rest of my classmates. I also got to use my 3 month summer vacations to destress, get vet experience in the area I'm interested in, network, relax, earn money (and reduce loans), have fun, and mentally unwind before starting the next year of classes. I honestly think not having a summer break would have destroyed me and my enjoyment of vet med, but I don't know. Mizzou students seem to do fine.

Back when I was doing research and some anecdotes from students who are in a 2+2 program, the biggest factor I found attractive about the 2+2 system was that since clinics are longer, there were more elective blocks and blocks you could go out and do externships with.

So I will start by saying I have a huge bias for Mizzou- I interviewed at both ISU and Mizzou and loved them both, but at the end of the day I picked Mizzou. I picked it for the 2+2, the savings in cost was an extra bonus for me at the time. Since you said cost isn't a great factor for you, I'll give you a few reasons why I picked Mizzou, and you can decide from there.

I think either semester or the block system has it's own advantages and disadvantages. To me it wasn't a factor at all when deciding, but now that I am fully in it I would say that I really enjoy our 8 week blocks. Yes, we have lots of exams, but 1) it forces you to keep up with material, 2) if you don't like a class it's over with in 8 weeks (most of them) and 3) I don't have to juggle 10 classes at once. That being said, I feel like there are advantages to having it full semesters as well. We DO have a summer after 1st and 2nd year, but it's only 8 weeks long. Honestly this is the perfect length for me and so many of my classmates spent it either doing externships or research so if you want to do something during that time you can. I'm actually doing 6 weeks of externships this summer that will count towards my Missouri License hours and I couldn't be more excited. I personally didn't notice the length of summer, though some people find the extra block of classes during the spring semester draining. Thankfully the last block 1st year (technically the first block of second year...) is super chill, so a lot of people recovered that way.

Honestly, the biggest reason I picked Mizzou was for the extra clinic time. We have so many vets from other schools and even one on here comment on how well prepared we are for the real world since we get an extra 10 months of clinics. We also have a 100% pass rate for boards for several years now and a lot of the clinicians think the extra clinic time really helps solidify it all. My friends at other schools have to pick one elective out of Cardiology, Oncology, or Orthopedic surgery, but if I want to, I can do them all and then some. We get 16 weeks of free/prectorship time and 10 weeks of electives that we can literally go anywhere and do anything. Unless it's another 2+2, you're not going to find that amount of flexibility anywhere. Most schools offer 4-6 weeks of externship and a select number of electives. It's viewed as a big deal because if you're like me and want to do it all, you have time to go wherever you want and do hundreds of surgeries or go to the zoo or go to a dairy in California or whatever. On the other hand if you already go into clinics thinking you want to be an equine surgeon, then you can spend your 26 weeks during equine work and getting valuable letters of recommendation.

At the end of the day, both schools are going to make you a competent vet, so you have to decide for yourself what things are important for you.

Reactions: 1 user
So I will start by saying I have a huge bias for Mizzou- I interviewed at both ISU and Mizzou and loved them both, but at the end of the day I picked Mizzou. I picked it for the 2+2, the savings in cost was an extra bonus for me at the time. Since you said cost isn't a great factor for you, I'll give you a few reasons why I picked Mizzou, and you can decide from there.

I think either semester or the block system has it's own advantages and disadvantages. To me it wasn't a factor at all when deciding, but now that I am fully in it I would say that I really enjoy our 8 week blocks. Yes, we have lots of exams, but 1) it forces you to keep up with material, 2) if you don't like a class it's over with in 8 weeks (most of them) and 3) I don't have to juggle 10 classes at once. That being said, I feel like there are advantages to having it full semesters as well. We DO have a summer after 1st and 2nd year, but it's only 8 weeks long. Honestly this is the perfect length for me and so many of my classmates spent it either doing externships or research so if you want to do something during that time you can. I'm actually doing 6 weeks of externships this summer that will count towards my Missouri License hours and I couldn't be more excited. I personally didn't notice the length of summer, though some people find the extra block of classes during the spring semester draining. Thankfully the last block 1st year (technically the first block of second year...) is super chill, so a lot of people recovered that way.

Honestly, the biggest reason I picked Mizzou was for the extra clinic time. We have so many vets from other schools and even one on here comment on how well prepared we are for the real world since we get an extra 10 months of clinics. We also have a 100% pass rate for boards for several years now and a lot of the clinicians think the extra clinic time really helps solidify it all. My friends at other schools have to pick one elective out of Cardiology, Oncology, or Orthopedic surgery, but if I want to, I can do them all and then some. We get 16 weeks of free/prectorship time and 10 weeks of electives that we can literally go anywhere and do anything. Unless it's another 2+2, you're not going to find that amount of flexibility anywhere. Most schools offer 4-6 weeks of externship and a select number of electives. It's viewed as a big deal because if you're like me and want to do it all, you have time to go wherever you want and do hundreds of surgeries or go to the zoo or go to a dairy in California or whatever. On the other hand if you already go into clinics thinking you want to be an equine surgeon, then you can spend your 26 weeks during equine work and getting valuable letters of recommendation.

At the end of the day, both schools are going to make you a competent vet, so you have to decide for yourself what things are important for you.

Thank you, this is very helpful!

Semesters in undergrad meant if I didn't have time for something the night after class I could do it the next day (more time between each course meeting). Is this true sometimes for vet? Block system seems like it would be similar to juggling a couple summer classes. You are fed via fire hose every day week after week. That said I liked the idea of the blocks when I toured schools with them.

I agree that I don't do as well when I juggle multiple classes as I do when I can focus on just a few things, though it's more exhausting that way. I only applied to a semester system because of cost.

Semesters in undergrad meant if I didn't have time for something the night after class I could do it the next day (more time between each course meeting). Is this true sometimes for vet? Block system seems like it would be similar to juggling a couple summer classes. You are fed via fire hose every day week after week. That said I liked the idea of the blocks when I toured schools with them.

I agree that I don't do as well when I juggle multiple classes as I do when I can focus on just a few things, though it's more exhausting that way. I only applied to a semester system because of cost.
In the 3+1 model, no, not usually. we typically had classes from 8-12 and labs in the afternoon after a 1 hr lunch. Of course that varied, but I wouldn't plan on that.

In the 3+1 model, no, not usually. we typically had classes from 8-12 and labs in the afternoon after a 1 hr lunch. Of course that varied, but I wouldn't plan on that.
But you don't have every class every day right? I guess what I was getting at was I liked being able to say today I can lay off of subject X and concentrate on Y. When I did 5 credit hour Orgo over a summer it was all Orgo all the time. *shutter* and that was my first time seeing chem in 10 years

But you don't have every class every day right? I guess what I was getting at was I liked being able to say today I can lay off of subject X and concentrate on Y. When I did 5 credit hour Orgo over a summer it was all Orgo all the time. *shutter* and that was my first time seeing chem in 10 years
We had class every day. And it varied what classes. Sometimes we would have a week with bacteriology every day (or some double days) and other days none. It wasn't on a schedule like undergrad (TTh Biology 101 etc).

We had class every day. And it varied what classes. Sometimes we would have a week with bacteriology every day (or some double days) and other days none. It wasn't on a schedule like undergrad (TTh Biology 101 etc).
That's what I was asking. Thanks.

At UMN it has been pretty much class every day 8-5pm. Some days we get out early at like 3pm or so and we get the random University holidays off like MLKJr day but otherwise vet school is pretty much a full time job with homework and exams. That being said, my last didactic semester (Spring Y3) is more like undergrad - full days off, some only half days or just a couple hours of class, only 16.5 credits and I could have taken less if I'd wanted to. But this is the outlier semester, the rest were much busier.

At UMN it has been pretty much class every day 8-5pm. Some days we get out early at like 3pm or so and we get the random University holidays off like MLKJr day but otherwise vet school is pretty much a full time job with homework and exams. That being said, my last didactic semester (Spring Y3) is more like undergrad - full days off, some only half days or just a couple hours of class, only 16.5 credits and I could have taken less if I'd wanted to. But this is the outlier semester, the rest were much busier.
we had class every day, just no pattern to which classes when. First year it was pretty much 8-5 daily and changed a little for 3rd year.

we had class every day, just no pattern to which classes when. First year it was pretty much 8-5 daily and changed a little for 3rd year.
Oh yeah the same for us. There was seemingly no rhyme or reason to when we would have which class. The only constant was that anatomy lab was in the afternoon first year.

Oh yeah the same for us. There was seemingly no rhyme or reason to when we would have which class. The only constant was that anatomy lab was in the afternoon first year.
yup. I think it was based on research projects for the faculty. And we got a schedule on day 1. There would be some changes throughout the semester, but it mostly stuck to that.

Okay so I was about to ask how that worked. Essentially you get like a "syllabus" that provides you with the whole semesters schedule (that may vary a little but mainly stick to that schedule)? It was sounding like you would never know where to go...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Okay so I was about to ask how that worked. Essentially you get like a "syllabus" that provides you with the whole semesters schedule (that may vary a little but mainly stick to that schedule)? It was sounding like you would never know where to go...

Easy to know where to go. 99% of our lectures were in the same classroom. The professors came to us, we just sat there.
At UMN at least they have a class calendar on Google, so you just add it to your email calendar and boom, you know what you're doing when. Any changes would be made on the calendar for the most part so you just had to check it and exams were typically listed on there too. Nifty thing, Google calendar.

We were in the same classroom except for lab. I hated that classroom by the end of first year

Keep in mind that this is school dependent too. For instance, at Mizzou, after the first semester we change classes every 8 weeks, but during those 8 weeks our classes are pretty consistently at the same time every day/week (here is our academic day-to-day calendar if you are curious: http://calendar.cvm.missouri.edu/).

As for knowing where to go.. you are normally in the same building, in the same room (besides labs). Which can be a good thing.. or a bad thing haha.

Hi guys! Do someone know which schools give more value to the last 45 hrs in the GPA?

Can someone please post pros/cons about OVC at University of Guelph in Canada? There's very little information on it in the forums. Just want some feedback

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Can someone please post pros/cons about OVC at University of Guelph in Canada? There's very little information on it in the forums. Just want some feedback

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I'm an OVC 2015 grad. As Coquette22 mentioned though, I'm an Ontario resident so I won't have the same pros/cons list as an international student.

Pros:
- Small class size (~120) so you get to know all your classmates and profs well, lots of camaraderie and really feels like we're all in it together. Everyone tries to help each other out to make sure we all advance to the next year as a cohort and graduate on time.
- All of the clinicians at OVC that I've worked with are wonderful, extremely supportive, and great teachers. They all want to see you succeed and know that you're still learning and are very patient with you. The interns and residents are great. I've loved 4th year because of this opportunity to work with all the clinicians.
- Lots of fancy toys. I'm sure this is standard for most teaching hospitals but OVC has a CT, MRI, laparascopic and endoscopic equipment; does fluoroscopy, nuclear medicine, radiation therapy, etc. We also perform interventional radiology procedures, which I recently learned is not performed at every vet school!
- Guelph is a lovely town, lots of greenery and it's beautiful in the summer. Tons of biking/hiking trails, parks, extremely dog friendly town. Very safe too since the population is mostly made up of either students or families.
- OVC as a whole feels very much like its own community..there are spirit days (between the years), hockey competitions (between years and also students vs. faculty), fundraising competitions, etc.
- Lots of opportunities to work at OVC during the school year or (more commonly) over the summer, which is a great way to get to know clinicians/profs and network.
- We have a very high first-pass rate for the NAVLE (~98-99%). I feel like the school curriculum prepared me well.
- Campus food can be expensive but really good for cafeteria food..Guelph consistently wins awards every year across Canada for having the best campus food.
- I like that we can stream in 4th year (SA, mixed, equine, food animal) - you can pick all SA rotations if you like, or all equine, or a mix of both. I haven't touched a horse/cow since the end of 3rd year vet school and couldn't be happier about it. Most schools don't allow 4th year streaming, I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Cons:
- I don't like that OVC is on a term rather than a semester schedule. I was used to being semestered in undergrad and preferred it that way. You have midterms in December and then 8-12 final exams in April.
- OVC does not have a dermatology or dentistry service. Fortunately there are 2 boarded veterinary dentists in Guelph, and they both take on 4th year students for external rotations. And there are boarded dermatologists in Guelph and Toronto that also take on students.
- Being in class from 8:30-5:30 (with a 12:30-1:30 lunch break) M-F sucks but I'm sure this is not unique to OVC.
- OVC has 4th year final exams. I think they are one of the only vet schools that do.
- International student tuition is $50k+ annually.
- The weather can be a shock if you're not used to cold and snow.

This thread has been helpful for me! I just wish I had seen/read it 2 days ago before I was at LSU :( In either case, I think this will probably make my decision just that much harder...thank you anyway for all of the input!
Can you list some pros and cons? I have an interview this weekend and I would like to have a better idea..thanks!

Hi guys! I have a pretty specific question and it might go better on a different thread, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Just wondering if anyone can speak to the amount of larger animals seen at CSU and/or U of MN??? I know that not many ruminants go to the actual U of MN hospital, but they do have their own dairy and small ruminant facilities. Do these provide a lot of experience?? How about CSU, about how much large animal is seen here?

Hi guys! I have a pretty specific question and it might go better on a different thread, but I thought I'd give it a shot. Just wondering if anyone can speak to the amount of larger animals seen at CSU and/or U of MN??? I know that not many ruminants go to the actual U of MN hospital, but they do have their own dairy and small ruminant facilities. Do these provide a lot of experience?? How about CSU, about how much large animal is seen here?
I'm not in vet school there but recently graduated from a MS program that did a lot of cattle work and have a ton of friends in vet school. This is literally what I know:
- They have a large animal wing to the hospital with lots of fun toys. Treadmills, new open MRI and more (that stuff you can see on the website too.)
- The school's dairy shut down several years ago, but the school does still contract with many local dairies for student education, research and vet med care.
- They have an Equine Reproduction Lab. Literally one of the biggest and fanciest in the world and a history of producing tons of significant repro research at both the ERL and ARBL.
- They have a research beef herd north of town that is in full production, and a repro prof emeritus that owns a giant herd that gets repro and research work done pretty darn regularly.

What I hear from the students:
- You will go through large animal rotations. How much work you get can vary seasonally. Also some people just slack and don't do their work and then "complain" that they were hardly hands on with the large animals.
- They do eventually track you one way or the other, but you have the choice regardless of track to take on large, small, or exotic rotations.

I'm not in vet school there but recently graduated from a MS program that did a lot of cattle work and have a ton of friends in vet school. This is literally what I know:
- They have a large animal wing to the hospital with lots of fun toys. Treadmills, new open MRI and more (that stuff you can see on the website too.)
- The school's dairy shut down several years ago, but the school does still contract with many local dairies for student education, research and vet med care.
- They have an Equine Reproduction Lab. Literally one of the biggest and fanciest in the world and a history of producing tons of significant repro research at both the ERL and ARBL.
- They have a research beef herd north of town that is in full production, and a repro prof emeritus that owns a giant herd that gets repro and research work done pretty darn regularly.

What I hear from the students:
- You will go through large animal rotations. How much work you get can vary seasonally. Also some people just slack and don't do their work and then "complain" that they were hardly hands on with the large animals.
- They do eventually track you one way or the other, but you have the choice regardless of track to take on large, small, or exotic rotations.
Ok thanks for the info! I assume this info is for CSU?

Did anyone do a positive and negatives over LSU? I'd love to see one if there isn't

Did anyone do a positive and negatives over LSU? I'd love to see one if there isn't
There's one from ages ago but I can do one for at least first year stuff and @Psorophoraferox can probably help me with 2nd and 3rd year stuff, and my roommate is a fourth year so I'll ask her too. I'll do it once open house is over.

I've narrowed my selection choice down to Ohio State and NCSU. I would be OOS first year for both schools. Does anyone have any opinions or helpful information?

I've narrowed my selection choice down to Ohio State and NCSU. I would be OOS first year for both schools. Does anyone have any opinions or helpful information?
VIN map puts OOS tuition 70k higher at OSU. Unless you don't plan on applying for residency in NC....