FAQ: What are my chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone looking for a chance me. I am a 3rd med student and a southeastern program M.D.
Step 1= 227
Class Rank= Top 25th percentile
Preclinical grades= half honors half not
Extracurricular= Several orgs, 2 years in EMS, several other volunteering, college athlete
Research= 2 poster presentations, several projects, 1 pub so far hoping for more

I am really just concerned about my step 1 score. I know I am not going to Hopkins or anything crazy but just want to make sure I didn't just rule myself out of matching somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would appreciate some feedback

3rd year at an unranked southeastern US school
Step 1: 235
Preclinical GPA: 3.29
ECs: volunteer at free clinic

I was thinking about trying to get into some kind of research project to strengthen my app.

Any advice about my chances of matching?
You'll match with your score. Research may help you get into a better program, I encourage it.

Hey everyone looking for a chance me. I am a 3rd med student and a southeastern program M.D.
Step 1= 227
Class Rank= Top 25th percentile
Preclinical grades= half honors half not
Extracurricular= Several orgs, 2 years in EMS, several other volunteering, college athlete
Research= 2 poster presentations, several projects, 1 pub so far hoping for more

I am really just concerned about my step 1 score. I know I am not going to Hopkins or anything crazy but just want to make sure I didn't just rule myself out of matching somewhere.
Step 1 is just part of your application, don't let it discourage you. You're a well-rounded applicant and won't have a problem matching.

Members don't see this ad :)
Would I still be good for the direct IR programs if they stick to their game plan of letting us apply directly? That is my primary interest. I know this is hard to answer so preemptively.

Would I still be good for the direct IR programs if they stick to their game plan of letting us apply directly? That is my primary interest. I know this is hard to answer so preemptively.
Honestly not sure about the match stats for those. I think your class of 2016 year there are only a handful of program starting the official IR residency (I'm sure those will be super competitive) but there will still also be the DIRECT programs too (I think there's currently ~20 or so). I don't know if these DIRECT programs are significantly more competitive than the reputation of the institution's DR programs. The NRMP stats doesn't show stats for these DIRECT programs in last year's match.

Nonetheless, I think you'll be a strong candidate, just get some IR research and do well on Step 2.

Mid Tier Midwestern school, originally from California and would like to go back...(not happening I know)
Step 1: 225 :(
Step 2: took late july, pending
3rd year grades: P in IM, Surg, Peds, OBGYN, FM. HP in Psych, Anesthesia. Honors in Rads, Neurology
Quartile: probably 3rd (25-50th)

Applying all over to 50+ programs.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just do Psych instead as at least then I'll get a job since most likely ill be headed to some crappy Rads program with poor job outlook...

East coast school
Step 1: 223
Step 2: Pending
3rd Year Grades: Honors in Surgery, Psych, Peds, Family Medicine. Pass in Medicine, OBGYN, Neurology
Pre-clinicals: Mix of honors and pass
Research: Took some time off for research to bolster my stats. Couple first author geriatrics papers, 15+ ortho papers (few first authors, a few imaging focused) in major journals, couple book chapters, 20+ accepted abstracts.

My question is, if I do especially well on Step 2 and my radiology aways (not sure how much aways matter?), would I be decently competitive applicant? I plan on applying to as many programs as I can but I really only want to be at a decent program on the east coast but how realistic is that?

East coast school
Step 1: 223
Step 2: Pending
3rd Year Grades: Honors in Surgery, Psych, Peds, Family Medicine. Pass in Medicine, OBGYN, Neurology
Pre-clinicals: Mix of honors and pass
Research: Took some time off for research to bolster my stats. Couple first author geriatrics papers, 15+ ortho papers (few first authors, a few imaging focused) in major journals, couple book chapters, 20+ accepted abstracts.

My question is, if I do especially well on Step 2 and my radiology aways (not sure how much aways matter?), would I be decently competitive applicant? I plan on applying to as many programs as I can but I really only want to be at a decent program on the east coast but how realistic is that?

I think your research itself gives you a great chance of matching despite the lowish step 1. I would shoot for a 250+ on step 2 if you are to break into the top programs.

I think your research itself gives you a great chance of matching despite the lowish step 1. I would shoot for a 250+ on step 2 if you are to break into the top programs.

Appreciate the vote of confidence, hopefully I do well!

Mid Tier Midwestern school, originally from California and would like to go back...(not happening I know)
Step 1: 225 :(
Step 2: took late july, pending
3rd year grades: P in IM, Surg, Peds, OBGYN, FM. HP in Psych, Anesthesia. Honors in Rads, Neurology
Quartile: probably 3rd (25-50th)

Applying all over to 50+ programs.

Sometimes I wonder if I should just do Psych instead as at least then I'll get a job since most likely ill be headed to some crappy Rads program with poor job outlook...

There is no so such thing as a crappy rad program. If you don't believe me, go to any program's website that you consider to be crappy and search the names of their recent graduating class. You would be surprised to see where they matched for fellowships and where they ended up working. I say this to my students interested in radiology, do not be discouraged about the job marker. It, for one, is not as bad as people make it seem like (we have just hired four fresh graduates). Secondly, radiology has gone down in competitiveness because of the rise of other specialties like emergency medicine which makes it easier for someone with subpar step 1 score to match.

So you may not end up in Cali but you have a decent shot at a good program. And do not listen to any one who says or thinks that radiology is getting outsourced, etc (this is all BS). It is an amazing field. There are numerous residents in my hospital who would switch their specialties with me in a heart beat!

There is no so such thing as a crappy rad program. If you don't believe me, go to any program's website that you consider to be crappy and search the names of their recent graduating class. You would be surprised to see where they matched for fellowships and where they ended up working. I say this to my students interested in radiology, do not be discouraged about the job marker. It, for one, is not as bad as people make it seem like (we have just hired four fresh graduates). Secondly, radiology has gone down in competitiveness because of the rise of other specialties like emergency medicine which makes it easier for someone with subpar step 1 score to match.

So you may not end up in Cali but you have a decent shot at a good program. And do not listen to any one who says or thinks that radiology is getting outsourced, etc (this is all BS). It is an amazing field. There are numerous residents in my hospital who would switch their specialties with me in a heart beat!

Well just got my Step 2 CK score back today...251! Hope that will help.

Thanks.

Hello. Any input appreciated regarding how to better my application.

US - IMG (St. George's University)
Step 1: 230
Step 2: 248
3rd year: Honors in Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and OBGYN. Surgery and IM A's.
Preclinical grades: As an Bs
Overall GPA: 3.7 (1st quartile)
Research: 3 published articles and 1 presentation at a national conference (none in Radiology)
EC: Volunteer experience at a local clinic

Any thoughts? My main concern is that fact that I'm an IMG since I go to St. George's but I'm also very hesitant with that Step 1 score. My plan was to apply to ~100 programs, all of whom have either taken SGU previously or taken IMGs in the past. I am totally fine with a low tier community program. Think I have a shot?

Hello. Any input appreciated regarding how to better my application.

US - IMG (St. George's University)
Step 1: 230
Step 2: 248
3rd year: Honors in Pediatrics, Psychiatry, and OBGYN. Surgery and IM A's.
Preclinical grades: As an Bs
Overall GPA: 3.7 (1st quartile)
Research: 3 published articles and 1 presentation at a national conference (none in Radiology)
EC: Volunteer experience at a local clinic

Any thoughts? My main concern is that fact that I'm an IMG since I go to St. George's but I'm also very hesitant with that Step 1 score. My plan was to apply to ~100 programs, all of whom have either taken SGU previously or taken IMGs in the past. I am totally fine with a low tier community program. Think I have a shot?
Yeah, with that broad strategy you'll be golden - good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
How necessary is research when applying to ACGME radiology programs? Does it vary depending on the program, or can lack of research be overcome with good Step scores/great LORs and grades during clinical rotations?

I'm a 3rd year medical student (USMLE Step 1: 241, COMLEX Level 1: 677) and am doing rotations at a hospital that doesn't have too many research opportunities, and is wondering if this is going to put me at a severe disadvantage.

Thanks.

I would appreciate some help adding a few more solid community/lesser known academic programs to my list. I feel I ended up a little top heavy, and I want to apply broadly.

Unranked MD School in Northeast
Step 1: 245
Preclinical: Mostly H, Hp. A few pass.
Clinical: Mostly straight pass. Honors in Radiology elective. I should have good letters from Surg, IM, and radiology though.
Smattering of volunteer, 1 research project.

I'm confident I could match somewhere if I apply smartly. My step 1 should get me some interviews despite my clinical grades. I was advised not to take step 2 until after apps were out, but in retrospect I should've taken it to prove my clinical knowledge. I would really like to end up out West, and I have applied to most places. Given most western programs are quite competitive, and I don't see myself landing a top program, I was hoping people could provide a handful of programs that I would be competitive at. Looking outside New York State (already applied to plenty there).

Mostly want to know which programs to steer clear of, because I know I'll get solid training at most places.

How necessary is research when applying to ACGME radiology programs? Does it vary depending on the program, or can lack of research be overcome with good Step scores/great LORs and grades during clinical rotations?

I'm a 3rd year medical student (USMLE Step 1: 241, COMLEX Level 1: 677) and am doing rotations at a hospital that doesn't have too many research opportunities, and is wondering if this is going to put me at a severe disadvantage.

Thanks.
It helps but you'll still get good interviews without. Take it if it presents itself (even a simple case report), but don't be discouraged if it doesn't come to fruition.

I would appreciate some help adding a few more solid community/lesser known academic programs to my list. I feel I ended up a little top heavy, and I want to apply broadly.

Unranked MD School in Northeast
Step 1: 245
Preclinical: Mostly H, Hp. A few pass.
Clinical: Mostly straight pass. Honors in Radiology elective. I should have good letters from Surg, IM, and radiology though.
Smattering of volunteer, 1 research project.

I'm confident I could match somewhere if I apply smartly. My step 1 should get me some interviews despite my clinical grades. I was advised not to take step 2 until after apps were out, but in retrospect I should've taken it to prove my clinical knowledge. I would really like to end up out West, and I have applied to most places. Given most western programs are quite competitive, and I don't see myself landing a top program, I was hoping people could provide a handful of programs that I would be competitive at. Looking outside New York State (already applied to plenty there).

Mostly want to know which programs to steer clear of, because I know I'll get solid training at most places.
Sorry no one ever answered -- I honestly have no idea about the quirks of specific community programs

hey guys, made this account looking for some advice, currently doing research in rads for a year before applying next year.
Top 25 CA school
Step 1: >235
Step 2: >260
Clinicals: Honors in all but peds
Research: 10+ abstracts (not in rads), 4 first author pubs, 3 non first author pubs, 2 book chapters. currently working with a neuro IR guy, hope to get a couple of abstracts for SIR.

I know my step 1 is low for CA but what do you guys think for academic programs in general? What tier should I be applying to?
Thanks!

D.O. student here -- what are my chances for matching allopathic in California? Really important to me to go back there. I've lived there my whole life except med school.
USMLE Step 1: 261
COMLEX Step 1: 708
USMLE + COMLEX Step 2 next summer
Clinical: All H so far, maybe 1 or 2 HP in the future
Research: At least 1 abstract in a non-Rads topic (more in the works)
Extras: Good extracurriculars and volunteering. Member of D.O. equivalent of AOA. Founded a club. Freelance writer for USMLE test prep company.
LOR: Have not done a Rads rotation yet, but could do 1-2 audition rotations. Could get a glowing non-Rads LOR from my research supervisor, and mildly above-average LORs from whatever specialties are advantageous.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
D.O. student here -- what are my chances for matching allopathic in California? Really important to me to go back there. I've lived there my whole life except med school.
USMLE Step 1: 261
COMLEX Step 1: 708
USMLE + COMLEX Step 2 next summer
Clinical: All H so far, maybe 1 or 2 HP in the future
Research: At least 1 abstract in a non-Rads topic (more in the works)
Extras: Good extracurriculars and volunteering. Member of D.O. equivalent of AOA. Founded a club. Freelance writer for USMLE test prep company.
LOR: Have not done a Rads rotation yet, but could do 1-2 audition rotations. Could get a glowing non-Rads LOR from my research supervisor, and mildly above-average LORs from whatever specialties are advantageous.
You are in great shape. Do your auditions in CA. Get great LORs from high up docs. Make sure the permanent Address on your ERAS app is from California. Just make sure it's known you want to be there

You are in great shape. Do your auditions in CA. Get great LORs from high up docs. Make sure the permanent Address on your ERAS app is from California. Just make sure it's known you want to be there

Thanks for the advice, great to hear! Wouldn't have thought about the permanent address thing.

Last edited:
3rd year D.O. student here as well. I'm really hoping to stay in/around Chicago if possible, though I'm open to the Midwest in general.
USMLE Step 1: 249
COMLEX Level 1: 744
Clinicals: A's so far
Research: none
ECs: volunteer clinic, various 1-day volunteer events, taught a physiology workshop through school
LORs: in the process of collecting

3rd year D.O. student here as well. I'm really hoping to stay in/around Chicago if possible, though I'm open to the Midwest in general.
ECs: volunteer clinic, various 1-day volunteer events, taught a physiology workshop through school

My stats are a little lower than yours and I have gotten 32 interview offers. You will be fine

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a Midwest MD student with similar step1 but worse clinical scores. I got interviews at every Midwest program that I applied to, including the "top rated" programs.

Reactions: 1 user
3rd year MD student at a mid tier southeast school.

Step 1: 258
Preclinicals: 2 B+, rest A's
Clinicals: high passes in family and surgery, honors in peds
Research: 3 basic science experiences, 1 of which was my own project with a presentation.

I plan to honor the rest of my clerkships (IM, psych, OB) and try for 265-270 on step 2. One strong LOR from the director of our peds program, plan to get two from IM.

What would I need to do to be more competitive for Duke or Emory? I plan to stay in the SE for residency (no further north than Virginia and no further east than Alabama) so I realize I'm limited.

Research: 3 basic science experiences, 1 of which was my own project with a presentation.

I plan to honor the rest of my clerkships (IM, psych, OB) and try for 265-270 on step 2. One strong LOR from the director of our peds program, plan to get two from IM.

What would I need to do to be more competitive for Duke or Emory? I plan to stay in the SE for residency (no further north than Virginia and no further east than Alabama) so I realize I'm limited.

First off, Duke is waaaay more competitive than Emory, so you can't really compare them. With that being said, I think you are an exceptional candidate (on paper) to interview at any program in the Southeast.

First off, Duke is waaaay more competitive than Emory, so you can't really compare them. With that being said, I think you are an exceptional candidate (on paper) to interview at any program in the Southeast.

Thank you, I appreciate your comment! I was wondering how people know which programs are more competitive than others for radiology. I just assumed since Emory is a very strong research facility with great medical programs that radiology would be desirable there. Is there a way to find out which ones are more competitive? Is it mostly word of mouth, or is there a resource I can use?

First of all I think you will probably land interviews at Duke and Emory based on regional bias, great Step 1, and some research experience, assuming you're a normal person and can get good LOR. Honoring the rest of your clerkships would seal the deal.

Agree with above poster that Duke is more competitive than Emory. Both are great programs though. The only published "rankings" are the Doximity rankings. They're not perfect but they give you some idea of the big name programs. They put Duke at #5.

In general the most competitive programs are those with prestige + good location. If you look at how many candidates a program interviews relative to how many spots they have that also gives you an idea. For example most programs interview 10 people/spot, but more competitive programs interview as few as 5 per spot.

Reactions: 1 users

I actually ended up with honors in surgery, but preemptively put high pass because I honestly didn't expect to do that well.

I am currently torn between an integrated IR/DR residency and the traditional route (diagnostic residency followed by an interventional fellowship). I would imagine that I have a better shot at bigger name programs if I pursue the latter, but of course without the guarantee of an IR spot. Anyway, here are my stats:

School: ~ 50 (per US News)
Pre-clinical rank: 2nd quartile
AOA: No
Clerkship grades: Average 93%, still need to rotate through peds and surgery (we have percents, not H/P/F)
Step I: mid 250's
Step II: none yet
Research:
- 12 pubs (2 as 1st author) in basic science, translational, and clinical
- 10 posters/talks
- 10 awards
- These figures include undergrad research (subtract 3 from each category if you want to exclude undergrad work)

Do I have a legitimate shot at places like Duke, Penn, Michigan, Cornell? For what it's worth, I have admittedly not been diligent in networking and do not yet have any advocate at my home institution to make phone calls. (... of course I hope to do so in the coming months and perhaps do a couple away rotations)

I've heard mixed opinions on fast track residency programs (e.g., DIRECT pathway). Some say that they don't prepare one well for the diagnostic boards. Some think they're a godsend.

I don't think anyone knows for sure how the new IR/DR dual certificate will change things. There certainly won't be as many spots, so it may turn out to be more competitive based on sheer numbers. The first few years there will probably be a lot of people switching back and forth between IR and DR pathways, so it may be a non-issue for you.

But either way you have a solid step 1 and clinical grades combined with a ton of research so you should do very well. Away rotations are not necessary to match like they are in other fields. They may help if you have a really stellar personality, but clearly it is a double-edged sword if you are even a little bit annoying.

As someone applying this cycle and seeing all my friends apply, I want to give some idea of what you need to land interviews at each level. Overall things seem slightly less competitive than prior years.

This is all assuming you come from a US MD school, have solid LOR, solid PS, and no disciplinary action. I'm leaving pre-clinical grades out of it, as they vary so much between programs. I'm also leaving AOA out because, again, it varies so much between schools.

Mid-tier programs:

Step 1: 230's
Clinical grades: Mix of P and HP
Research: None
EC's: minimal

Top 25 programs:

Step 1: 240's
Clinical grades: mix of HP and Honors
Research: some involvement; a few posters, maybe a case report or a "submitted" publication (as listed on ERAS)
EC's: one significant activity

Top 10 programs:

Step 1: 250's
Clinical grades: nearly all Honors
Research: significant; several posters/oral presentations, multiple accepted publications,
EC's: one or two significant, interesting things

If the school is in a desirable area (NYC, CA) it will be a little more competitive.

This is obviously an over-simplification, but hopefully it gives next years applicants some idea. Of course being especially strong in one area (such as step 1 over 260) can give you a boost. Other criteria like very strong LOR, coming from a prestigious med school, having a PhD, etc., may also help.

I also want to point out that at the very top, where everyone has >250 and mostly honors, it's research that sets people apart, not stratospheric step 1 scores. Schools will likely take a candidate with 255 and 3 pubs over a candidate with 270 but no research.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys, I'm kind of late to jump on the radiology band wagon and am curious about transferring in to it (sorry if there's another forum for this that I didn't see. If so, please let me know!)
Is it possible to use an intern year in Ob/Gyn (which I'm currently on track to do next year) instead of surgery/internal medicine as a transitional year?
Are there any programs out there that hold spots for people like me? Or is the earliest I could start July 2017 (since programs are currently interviewing for July 2016).
Is there a place to take a look at which programs are considered "top" programs vs. mid-level. I'm assuming top programs aren't in the picture for me since I haven't been a die-hard radiology person since I was in the womb ;)
Also, the question everyone wants to know the answer to, what are my chances? Step 1: mid-240's, Step 2: 258, research but no publications, AOA, honors in most courses, and other great characteristics, like being unaware of my desired speciality until after Ob/Gyn interviews are over.
Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Hi all,

MS3 at a mid-tier midwest MD school interested in radiology

Step 1: 232
Research: 2 published case reports, 1 poster presentation at a national conference

2 quick questions:

1. When should I take Step 2? Some are saying that some programs like to see a Step 2 score, while others are saying it's better to do more substantive research with those first months (July-Sept.)

2. What are my chances for West Coast programs (I am a CA resident)?

Thank you!

Hi all,

MS3 at a mid-tier midwest MD school interested in radiology

Step 1: 232
Research: 2 published case reports, 1 poster presentation at a national conference

2 quick questions:

1. When should I take Step 2? Some are saying that some programs like to see a Step 2 score, while others are saying it's better to do more substantive research with those first months (July-Sept.)

2. What are my chances for West Coast programs (I am a CA resident)?

Thank you!

1. Take step 2 early to make up for your step 1 that is a bit below average (~240 for rads).

2. Need more info, but assuming mostly honors in 3rd year you have a shot at community programs in California. Academic Cali programs are inordinately competitive and you'll need something else that makes your app stand out.

Hi all
I just wanted your opinion on my chances. I'm an IMG who failed step 1 (personal problems -big mistake!). I havent re attempted yet and I havent done other steps yet.
Do you think this fail will be enough to rule me out of radiology residency completely?

I am top 40 in class and have all honors in clerkships apart from 1.
I have some research with 2 projects I've done; 2 publication, 2 presentations and 1 abstract.
Any feedback would be helpful. Thanks!

Hello all,

Current MS3 here thinking about applying to radiology next year but am weighing this against medicine. Would appreciate my chances in California and in general I suppose.

School: Top 50, in California
AOA: No; top 50% class rank
Clerkship grades: HP in everything so far. Surgery left. <-I think this is going to hurt me quite a bit.
Step I: 250
Step II: Not yet taken
Research: Middle author pubs in Radiology, JVIR, associated conferences. One basic science pub, middle author. <-All of this from before med school. I have one submitted abstract during med school in a medicine sub-specialty. <- Another negative on the application I think. Very little from med school.
ECs: The usual, nothing that stands out
LORs: Likely from Medicine associate program director. Another from Medicine sub-specialty PI. Perhaps another from surgery? I've got to know know our program's PD well enough over the last few years. He's really been pushing for me to apply into rads, saying I'd be a good fit. Perhaps from him after my radiology rotation.

Hello all,

Current MS3 here thinking about applying to radiology next year but am weighing this against medicine. Would appreciate my chances in California and in general I suppose.

School: Top 50, in California
AOA: No; top 50% class rank
Clerkship grades: HP in everything so far. Surgery left. <-I think this is going to hurt me quite a bit.
Step I: 250
Step II: Not yet taken
Research: Middle author pubs in Radiology, JVIR, associated conferences. One basic science pub, middle author. <-All of this from before med school. I have one submitted abstract during med school in a medicine sub-specialty. <- Another negative on the application I think. Very little from med school.
ECs: The usual, nothing that stands out
LORs: Likely from Medicine associate program director. Another from Medicine sub-specialty PI. Perhaps another from surgery? I've got to know know our program's PD well enough over the last few years. He's really been pushing for me to apply into rads, saying I'd be a good fit. Perhaps from him after my radiology rotation.

Coming from a California med school you have a shot at Davis, Irvine, USC, and any community program. Sounds like your home institution would really consider you as well. Bit of a reach for SF, LA, SD, or Stanford (due to lack of Honors) but Radiology and JVIR pubs are great, even if they were before med school. You're not totally out of the running if everything else is strong. Honors in Surgery wouldn't hurt!

Nationally I think you'd have a solid chance at top 25 programs and maybe some top 10 programs in less desirable areas.

Hi, thanks ahead for your advice.

3rd year from unranked state school in Midwest/South, Ivy League for Undergrad
Step 1: 263
AOA: Likely, but chosen beginning of 4th year
Clerkship grades: So far H in OBGyn, H in Psych, P in FM and Peds, H in Neuro, IM and Surg not yet completed (planning to honor hopefully)
Step 2: Not yet taken, probably will take in July before I start focusing on application and interview season. I know they say you don't have to take Step 2 early if your step 1 is good, but I will probably most prepared after IM and Surg, and will be most motivated to study with my GF (who I plan to couples match with)
EC: Most significant is AAMC OSR
LoR: Hopefully from the Dean of the School, IR or Rads Attending, and IM or Surg Attending. No LoR's right now, not sure if a letter from an attending from Peds, OBGYN, Psych, Family, Neuro would be helpful.

Wondering what my chances for getting interviews at some top 25 programs would be? If I need to consider doing aways or kick it in gear and try to get some research, which will probably look like fluff research on my CV anyway... I also know that the couples matching adds another dimension, but we will be practical and have talked about a strategy.

Hi, thanks ahead for your advice.

3rd year from unranked state school in Midwest/South, Ivy League for Undergrad
Step 1: 263
AOA: Likely, but chosen beginning of 4th year
Clerkship grades: So far H in OBGyn, H in Psych, P in FM and Peds, H in Neuro, IM and Surg not yet completed (planning to honor hopefully)
Step 2: Not yet taken, probably will take in July before I start focusing on application and interview season. I know they say you don't have to take Step 2 early if your step 1 is good, but I will probably most prepared after IM and Surg, and will be most motivated to study with my GF (who I plan to couples match with)
EC: Most significant is AAMC OSR
LoR: Hopefully from the Dean of the School, IR or Rads Attending, and IM or Surg Attending. No LoR's right now, not sure if a letter from an attending from Peds, OBGYN, Psych, Family, Neuro would be helpful.

Wondering what my chances for getting interviews at some top 25 programs would be? If I need to consider doing aways or kick it in gear and try to get some research, which will probably look like fluff research on my CV anyway... I also know that the couples matching adds another dimension, but we will be practical and have talked about a strategy.

-No reason to take step 2 early as it can't help you; only hurt you.
-Try to get letters from people who know you best and are ideally also full professors. Ideally 1 rads, 1 med, 1 surg. Not sure what you mean about from the dean of your school. The MSPE?
-Away rotations are not necessary and are more likely to hurt you.

-Honor IM and Surg and your stats are good enough for any program. With no research you still look very competitive for top 25 programs.

-However, the top 10 programs are research powerhouses and most want to see some sort of research (ideally in Radiology). You have 7 months--if you work with the right people you could at least get on a few posters, write a case report or 2, and maybe get your name on a manuscript that will be submitted before you apply. If you can pull that off you would probably be competitive anywhere--couples match of not. Hopefully that's good motivation. =)

In summary: Solid candidate. To sharpen up as much as possible by September, Honor med and surg (getting a solid letter from each), forget about early step 2 and forget about doing away rotations, and put that time all into radiology research instead.

-No reason to take step 2 early as it can't help you; only hurt you.
-Try to get letters from people who know you best and are ideally also full professors. Ideally 1 rads, 1 med, 1 surg. Not sure what you mean about from the dean of your school. The MSPE?
-Away rotations are not necessary and are more likely to hurt you.

-Honor IM and Surg and your stats are good enough for any program. With no research you still look very competitive for top 25 programs.

-However, the top 10 programs are research powerhouses and most want to see some sort of research (ideally in Radiology). You have 7 months--if you work with the right people you could at least get on a few posters, write a case report or 2, and maybe get your name on a manuscript that will be submitted before you apply. If you can pull that off you would probably be competitive anywhere--couples match of not. Hopefully that's good motivation. =)

In summary: Solid candidate. To sharpen up as much as possible by September, Honor med and surg (getting a solid letter from each), forget about early step 2 and forget about doing away rotations, and put that time all into radiology research instead.

Letter of Recommendation from the Dean aside from the MPSE. I have a working relationship with her through my extracurricular activities. And alright, everyone says the same about Step 2, so I will probably be best off following that advice.

Thanks for the advice!

Current MS3 here. Just became interested in Rads, and feel like I know barely anything about the field. My stats:

- >5 research entries (finished/submitted things, at least) by the time ERAS will roll around, in two, possibly three non-rads fields; more will be started after these are done so this number will be higher. So far, one final pub submitted as a second author (basic science/lit-review-ish; the other that's almost submitted is a case report)

What do I do from this point? I'm interested in finding out more about the field. Goal is an academic training program, preferably midwest but I'll take anywhere. My last two rotation are the easiest in terms of time. Who do I talk to? Any advice? Obviously I'm gonna try and get some rads research and Honor the last 3 clerkships.

Last edited:
Things are still pretty competitive at the top, but less so in the middle or at community programs. Even with a step 1 below the 240 average for Radiology, you should be able to get into an academic program, especially if it's not on the coasts. Top 25 would be a reach (though you never know), but solid mid-tier programs are within your grasp. Obviously picking up some honors and getting the projects you mentioned published would help.

I would advise you to chat with people from your school's Radiology interest group, chat with the 4th years who are currently applying (and are now done with interviews, so they should have plenty of time!), and do a Radiology elective as early as possible to explore your interest. Doing some Radiology research as you mention would help as well.

It would also be a good idea to take step 2 early and score high to try to make up for your step 1 score.

I'm a current MS3 who recently became interested in Radiology. I am wondering what my chances are at a top 10/15 institution:

Honors in pre-clinical
Clinicals - Mix of Honors/High Pass
AOA: probably unlikely, but i can hope
Research: Two abstracts in Urology, 1st author in Urology Paper, Abstract in ENT, Abstract in Breast Surgery, ACR case in point author (not sure if this counts)
EC: Bunch of Step 1 tutoring through my institution. Other usual stuff

In addition, is it advised I do an away rotation if I want to get into a top 10 program?

thank you
I had similar stats but did get AOA and got interviews at all the top's. I say you're an outstanding candidate - if you want to put the icing on the cake you can try to get a radiology paper or RSNA abstract accepted before your ERAS deadline. If you apply to all of the top 15, you'll likely get interviews at most.

I wouldn't recommend doing an away unless you know you want to go to program X, and even then it's not a guarantee it would help your chances. Unless you know you want to go to a California program, then it might not be a bad idea.

Just curious, when people say "usual ECs" what sort of stuff does that entail?

Just curious, when people say "usual ECs" what sort of stuff does that entail?
You know, teaching a blind african orphan how to read braille, going into the amazon and extracting plant extracts that can cure cancer, starting a healthy food revolution in my home town...the usual :D

But in actuality, I mean typical volunteering activities in student run clinic, leadership positions in some clubs, stuff like that.

I'm a current MS3 who recently became interested in Radiology. I am wondering what my chances are at a top 10/15 institution:

Honors in pre-clinical
Clinicals - Mix of Honors/High Pass
AOA: probably unlikely, but i can hope
Research: Two abstracts in Urology, 1st author in Urology Paper, Abstract in ENT, Abstract in Breast Surgery, ACR case in point author (not sure if this counts)
EC: Bunch of Step 1 tutoring through my institution. Other usual stuff

In addition, is it advised I do an away rotation if I want to get into a top 10 program?

thank you

With great step 1, solid clinical grades, and solid research experience your chances look great for a top 15. I think you'll land interviews at most, although regional bias may dictate which of the top 15. For example the top 5 West Coast programs (all of which are in the imaginary top 15 in my mind) are unpredictable and West Coast ties seem to help.

Good LOR and adding some Radiology research would round out your application.

Agree with JoshSt that aways are probably not necessary and more likely to hurt you unless you are super charming and are trying to break into a competitive region (like the West Coast or NYC) which you have no ties to.