FlexMed 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected today.

Members don't see this ad.

been following this but not commenting. Rejected as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunate news of rejection, but we push on! It was nice to go through an application cycle and really take a look at what I wanted and what I've done. For anyone who hasn't received an interview or rejection yet, there's probably good news coming your way. Thank you all for a positive forum experience. Good luck all!

Some stats for future forum browsers:
College GPA: 3.9+ overall, even higher for science GPA
SAT: 2000-2200 range
School type: Public Flagship
Recommendations: Probably pretty good
Expected weakness: Mediocre writing ability, unpolished activities list

Reactions: 1 users
I’ll also add in my stats
College gpa: 4.0
ACT 31 (this is my weakness)
School type: small, private health sciences school
Recommendations: strong
300+ hours of ems
Student government experience

Rejected....coming back stronger than ever in regular application cycle!

You're still waiting to hear back from UF though right?
People got interviews (my friend heard from them at the earliest probably a few days after people heard from icahn). And @CaptainWEMT don’t believe a score defines you! I got an interview and had a 32 on my ACT.

Last edited:
Rejected... Good luck to those who have not heard back and congrats to everyone who got an interview!

Rejected!

ACT: 33
University: Public Flagship in Ohio
GPA: 3.9 sGPA: 3.93
ACT: 33 SAT: 2220
I have been published and am in a variety of clubs with 200+ hours of hospital volunteering

I think overall metrics did not really set anyone apart, everyone does research, volunteers and is involved. To the future applicants, I'd suggest really focusing on the third essay focusing on the Flexmed time. My flexmed plan seemed a little out of context in terms of my involvement and it seemed to be my weakness. Good luck to all and congratulations to all invited to interview. Glad I applied though, it forced me to organize and everything and gave me an opportunity to look at my application holistically and where my strengths and weaknesses lie.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know what we should bring to the interview? And what we should pack if we are staying with a student host?

Does anyone know what we should bring to the interview? And what we should pack if we are staying with a student host?
I sent them an email about that too because I thought I read somewhere about a sleeping bag (???) but idk if I'm confusing that with what people may do when they stay with student hosts...when is your interview? Mine is like the end of april.

I sent them an email about that too because I thought I read somewhere about a sleeping bag (???) but idk if I'm confusing that with what people may do when they stay with student hosts...when is your interview? Mine is like the end of april.
My student host said hed provide a blanket and has a couch, so there would be no need for a sleeping bag lol. I think we gotta just bring like basic necessities (toothbrush, toothpaste, $$$$$$, etc) if we're staying with a student host.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're still waiting to hear back from UF though right?

Yeah, like QueenD said, people have received interviews. I know that there are still interview dates available, but I haven't heard anything back personally.

Yeah, like QueenD said, people have received interviews. I know that there are still interview dates available, but I haven't heard anything back personally.
Haven't heard back either. I called and they said interview invites possible until end of April, so hoping that means we good for now. I wonder if they're reviewing apps in the order received. I submitted it a few hours before deadline due to payment issues. Did you submit early or "late/on-time"?

my interview is monday

Haven't heard back either. I called and they said interview invites possible until end of April, so hoping that means we good for now. I wonder if they're reviewing apps in the order received. I submitted it a few hours before deadline due to payment issues. Did you submit early or "late/on-time"?

I submitted fairly late. I feel bad commenting too much, I wish I'd started an MHP forum earlier this year

I wouldn't sweat it, but I'll probably post around here when my INSIDER INFO lets me know they're basically done lol

My student host said hed provide a blanket and has a couch, so there would be no need for a sleeping bag lol. I think we gotta just bring like basic necessities (toothbrush, toothpaste, $$$$$$, etc) if we're staying with a student host.
I love all those dollar signs lol :rofl:

Good Luck to anyone with an interview tomorrow! :)

To those of you rejected, don’t lose hope! I got rejected in 2014 (pre-II) and I’m now matriculating at HMS this fall (and got into Sinai regular admission too!).. so keep pushing and keep doing all the hard work you’re doing!

Reactions: 14 users
Anyone with an interview on Thursday???

just to keep yall updated, there's two more dates with open spots left for UF

Has anyone who has had an interview want to give insight on this and how their day went?

If I did well enough in high school to apply and get an interview, I definitely would've shared my experience, lol.

Really appreciate the update!! Good luck to everybody with any remaining interviews along with these next couple weeks of school :happy:
Thanks Fam I appreciate that XD

Went to the interview day! It was really chill, all the administrators/medical students/other interviewees were SUPER friendly, and it was very relaxed. There were two thirty-minute interviews, pretty standard. The day was really structured in a way to minimize stress--the interviewers came and got you from the main room, it's not like you had to run around the medical school finding them. And don't worry about breakfast or lunch--they give it to you there!

For anyone with interviews coming up, I guess I'd just say don't stress out too much about it. The place is easy to find, once you find it everything else will run very smoothly, and you (probably) won't run into anything unexpected during the interviews themselves. Good luck! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Went to the interview day! It was really chill, all the administrators/medical students/other interviewees were SUPER friendly, and it was very relaxed. There were two thirty-minute interviews, pretty standard. The day was really structured in a way to minimize stress--the interviewers came and got you from the main room, it's not like you had to run around the medical school finding them. And don't worry about breakfast or lunch--they give it to you there!

For anyone with interviews coming up, I guess I'd just say don't stress out too much about it. The place is easy to find, once you find it everything else will run very smoothly, and you (probably) won't run into anything unexpected during the interviews themselves. Good luck! :)
Thank you for that insight! that blurb under your name about coughing up hairball of orgo notes describes me right now I just want this semester to be over.

Thank you for that insight! that blurb under your name about coughing up hairball of orgo notes describes me right now I just want this semester to be over.

they’re an ESSENTIAL part of a healthy breakfast...I...I think...:depressed:

Has anyone who has had an interview want to give insight on this and how their day went?

Overall the impressions I got from the faculty, admissions team, and the student hosts were that everyone was genuine and gregarious. I did feel a bit intimidated at first, because I'm from a flagship state school while nearly everyone else were from US News 1-20 (e.g. UPenn, JHU, Columbia, Yale, etc.). My interviews were very dialogue-like with the physician and the MS4, and everyone made it their best to make you feel comfortable. I loved NYC and the people I met at Mt Sinai, and I think almost everyone who interviews here will love the experience.

Reactions: 3 users
Overall the impressions I got from the faculty, admissions team, and the student hosts were that everyone was genuine and gregarious. I did feel a bit intimidated at first, because I'm from a flagship state school while nearly everyone else were from US News 1-20 (e.g. UPenn, JHU, Columbia, Yale, etc.). My interviews were very dialogue-like with the physician and the MS4, and everyone made it their best to make you feel comfortable. I loved NYC and the people I met at Mt Sinai, and I think almost everyone who interviews here will love the experience.
Yeah I definitely feel that way too. One of them I did better on than the first but I think that's just because I felt more prepared for the second one after the first. :) Staying with a student was a pretty cool experience to be able to see the dorm life. Until July! Meanwhile, time to start plan B (i.e. study for the MCAT/ the rest of these years) and finish off the rest of the semester. Good Luck everyone.

Does FlexMed/HuMed post results about which schools their accepted students come from? For instance, what percentage are from Ivy League schools. I've heard things about Ivy bias in their admissions before, and many friends said most ppl at interviews were from Ivy League schools.

Does FlexMed/HuMed post results about which schools their accepted students come from? For instance, what percentage are from Ivy League schools. I've heard things about Ivy bias in their admissions before, and many friends said most ppl at interviews were from Ivy League schools.
I forget which thread but I think in one of the FlexMed threads from previous years, someone posted a breakdown of schools. My interview was all ivy+stanford+hopkins+vandy+UF. I want to say there was also one UVA or UNC but forget which one it was. Hopefully that helps!

Just curious, are flexmed interviewees sending updates to Sinai? And if so, what kind of things should we be updating them on? I don’t know if I should be emailing them about summer internships and those sorts of things

Just curious, are flexmed interviewees sending updates to Sinai? And if so, what kind of things should we be updating them on? I don’t know if I should be emailing them about summer internships and those sorts of things
You could email them about your internship especially if it's really prestigious or well known. It can't hurt. Other updates could include maybe a publication or something you won/ received. I say go for it :)

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you could chance me for the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai's FlexMed program? (2019 cycle)

Molecular and Cell Biology major and Anthropology minor at a public college in CT.
Will have about 100+ hours of volunteer EMS experience when applying.
Virology research surrounding the Picornaviridae family of viruses with a professor at my college.
33 ACT
3.974 cumulative college GPA, 3.85 unweighted high school GPA, 4.996 weighted high school GPA
Two leadership positions (one as a Outreach coordinator for STEM club, and another as secretary for EMS club)
Member of Honors Program at the University.
International Orientation Leader, Hospital volunteering (nearing 100+ hours), Shadowed Physicians (about 70 hours)
Want to get recommendation letters from an Anthropology professor, research professor, and physician that I shadowed.
Flex factor: experience that allows me to double major in MCB and Anthropology instead of just minoring in Anthropology due to the available time. Instead, I want to minor in Pubic Health. Strongly believe that a balanced education with the social sciences and liberal arts is extremely important to the healthcare setting. I will also be able to fit in a study abroad to take part in service learning initatives in third-world countries.

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you could chance me for the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai's FlexMed program? (2019 cycle)..

Hey IAmReady—The truth is, nobody on here can really accurately chance you! :pompous: The reason being that flexmed seems to interview all kinds of wildly different candidates. Yes—it seems like you’ve “checked all the boxes” for premed stuff, research, shadowing, etc, so I don’t think that will hold you back—but take a closer look at your “flex” factor.

Best advice I’ve gotten for med school applications is that if anyone could write it, it’s not enough. Anyone could want to go to a third world country for service, or be interested in anthropology—you’ve gotta go deeper! Think about, how did you get interested in anthropology? Was it a class? What is it about anthropology that caught your interest, and how exactly does it shape your perspective on the world? Anyone can say that a “balanced education” is important for healthcare, but how has /your/ specific interest in anthropology come into play in your volunteering/shadowing, and how will you use it as a physician?

Just things to think over! :p Good luck next year—I know the nervous feeling! :dead:

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if you could chance me for the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai's FlexMed program? (2019 cycle)

Molecular and Cell Biology major and Anthropology minor at a public college in CT.
Will have about 100+ hours of volunteer EMS experience when applying.
Virology research surrounding the Picornaviridae family of viruses with a professor at my college.
33 ACT
3.974 cumulative college GPA, 3.85 unweighted high school GPA, 4.996 weighted high school GPA
Two leadership positions (one as a Outreach coordinator for STEM club, and another as secretary for EMS club)
Member of Honors Program at the University.
International Orientation Leader, Hospital volunteering (nearing 100+ hours), Shadowed Physicians (about 70 hours)
Want to get recommendation letters from an Anthropology professor, research professor, and physician that I shadowed.
Flex factor: experience that allows me to double major in MCB and Anthropology instead of just minoring in Anthropology due to the available time. Instead, I want to minor in Pubic Health. Strongly believe that a balanced education with the social sciences and liberal arts is extremely important to the healthcare setting. I will also be able to fit in a study abroad to take part in service learning initatives in third-world countries.
Hey! Definitely agree with what @AmaranthMoor said. Tbh I didn't know if I stood a chance at an interview, but as someone who at most got an invite (not knowing the decision yet for beginning of july) I 100% agree that the flex factor (at least explained in the application) needs to be solid and I would say complimentary to the rest of your application. It also helps if you show reflection in each activity you've done. Chancing is very hard, but given what you have I will say give it a shot! :) lmk if you have any other questions now and even if you choose to apply! I can at least give insight up until point of interview invite. All the best!

Does anyone know why they take so darn long between interviews and accepts/rejects notices? Most ppl send spring transcripts in May and the interviewed applicant pool is small, so it doesnt make sense why their admission staff takes an extra >1.5 months to give a response.

I don't think there's any Ivy bias, students from Ivy League schools are more bright than students from other schools, so more likely to admit

Last edited:
Does anyone know why they take so darn long between interviews and accepts/rejects notices? Most ppl send spring transcripts in May and the interviewed applicant pool is small, so it doesnt make sense why their admission staff takes an extra >1.5 months to give a response.
I think they said some schools work on a trimester and they get grades in middle to late June? If I recall correctly that's what someone said on my interview day but I could be wrong

I think they said some schools work on a trimester and they get grades in middle to late June? If I recall correctly that's what someone said on my interview day but I could be wrong
Do you know if they let students from the Ivy league or NYC schools know before July?

Do you know if they let students from the Ivy league or NYC schools know before July?
99.9% sure they don't. That would be really weird if they did. I'm pretty sure they convene to make the final decisions like end of June anyways (but I could be wrong).

It's an agonizing wait for sure lol

99.9% sure they don't. That would be really weird if they did. I'm pretty sure they convene to make the final decisions like end of June anyways (but I could be wrong).

It's an agonizing wait for sure lol
Agreed, the wait is super agonizing. I really don’t wanna start this MCAT studying

Reactions: 3 users
It's like admissions meets once in the two months after interviews to check our grades and make a decision.
Do you know any other programs like FlexMed for juniors which also let you skip orgo and the MCAT?