Future DVMs- C/O 2021!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You feel miserable for awhile. A few stages of grief and some months later you start doing something else or you prepare for the next cycle.

This is accurate. I had no idea what I was going to do if I didn't get in the first time, but I figured it out.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Same here! I have been the breadwinner for the past couple years and it's been supplemented w his stipends from grad school luckily. I know he has already started looking, but he probably won't be sending resumes out until like October-ish? Just to at least get the ball rolling. It's very nice to have a significant other who can pay the bills so the only loans you have to worry about are for tuition. Lessens the burden a little bit.

Yeah but it's freaking me out a little bit. I'm entirely dependent on him for the next however many years and I'm essentially putting his life on hold. I can't really wrap my head around how selfish I'm being. Also, I'm really worried that the time commitment in vet school won't allow me to spend enough time with him and our relationship will blow up.I know it's ridiculous and all I have to do is prioritize spending time with him every once in a while, but I have no frame of reference so my mind goes to the dark places lol.

How big is the GRE? I know it depends on the school (Missouri for example doesn't add a whole lot of value, one I'm applying to) but I was wondering about other schools. I have a 150V 154Q and 3.0 Aw :(. 3.78 cGPA. 45. 1500+ hours each in vet and animal experience with 200+ research. I am applying to Purdue, OK State, Missouri, Wisconsin, NC State, and Iowa State. Would it be unwise to apply to any of these because they are high number based with the GRE?

Members don't see this ad :)
How big is the GRE? I know it depends on the school (Missouri for example doesn't add a whole lot of value, one I'm applying to) but I was wondering about other schools. I have a 150V 154Q and 3.0 Aw :(. 3.78 cGPA. 45. 1500+ hours each in vet and animal experience with 200+ research. I am applying to Purdue, OK State, Missouri, Wisconsin, NC State, and Iowa State. Would it be unwise to apply to any of these because they are high number based with the GRE?
Is retaking the GRE an option for you? Your cumulative percentile is something like 39.6, which is pretty low. I can commiserate with you on the suckiness of the test. I had to take it a couple of times, but my scores are all more competitive now. My quant could always be higher, but I'm actually pretty happy with where I've ended up. Now that you've experienced the test once, you should have a better idea of what to expect and how to study for it.

It is an option. I'd much rather not go through that hell again and worry about it when school starts up in a few weeks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You'll probably get your answer faster by looking into the schools yourself and seeing what they say about how they weigh the GRE.
I can't really help you as I'm not applying to any of those schools. I would imagine that if you have an above average GPA though that being below average on the GRE isn't going to weigh you down that heavily... but it does depend on the school so I would advise taking another look at their selection process, average stats for admitted applicants, etc.

You guys......I am inputting my Achievements on VMCAS right now, and I am wondering whether to sort them by types (Honors, Awards, Scholarships) AND newest to oldest OR just newest to oldest. Auburn for sure said it is easier for them to read with newest to oldest so I am definitely doing that! What did you guys do?

Thought I would say that my GRE scores were quite similar (156q, 150v and 3.5w) but my cGPA was much lower (3.42) so….. Plus, if I recall correctly, you are currently a junior? Thus, you could proceed with these scores for this cycle and plan on retaking if you have to reapply - And just plan on allocating a good portion of study time for it next summer. I don’t think there is much benefit to rush into retaking if you don’t have time to study for it again this cycle.

Last edited:
You guys......I am inputting my Achievements on VMCAS right now, and I am wondering whether to sort them by types (Honors, Awards, Scholarships) AND newest to oldest OR just newest to oldest. Auburn for sure said it is easier for them to read with newest to oldest so I am definitely doing that! What did you guys do?

Instructions say most recent to least recent so that's what I'm doing.

Thanks! I will do exactly that @RoryCat! Hopefully I get into Purdue but if not I'll study and retake again!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Instructions say most recent to least recent so that's what I'm doing.

Mine were out of order when I sent it in. They were in chronological order when I got it back after verification. I'd say you're probably fine either way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same boat I'm hoping I get in but UF never usually takes first time applicants unless they are stellar. Havent taken my GRE ( doing it on the 22nd..then floating teeth the day after..ugh) my verbal has been pretty high on most tests and I'm hoping to get around a 70% for my Quant. I have over 2,000 hours large animal and around 300 small. My lors are good.

I plan on not doing anything until feb but working and not getting my hopes up.
I'm hoping for Oregon State! Just did my GRE last month and it went ok! I have to do school to finish pre-reqs, so that's what I'll be doing until then. Good luck with the GRE, and your application.

so. tired. of supplemental. apps.

Reactions: 2 users
I can't so I gotta make this one count. Go in there and kick its ass.

Thanks! Needed the encouragement. Feeling a little down and stressed about it since my Magoosh estimated score is not showing much difference from last time's scores. :(

Thanks! Needed the encouragement. Feeling a little down and stressed about it since my Magoosh estimated score is not showing much difference from last time's scores. :(
I used the magoosh app, Kaplans book, a tutor, and the ETS book. Eat a good breakfast, don't think about it. Don't listen to anyone else there and go in confident. Magoosh isn't the test and as my tutor said even the smartest ones in the room won't get the uber hard ones right. Pace yourself and don't get caught up on one question. You have enough time and you can do it. Get a good nights sleep tonight and don't look at the dang test prep tomorrow it'll stress you out.

This is coming from someone who has battled some serious test anxiety and has to take this with ADD and no accommodations due to old documentation.

NC State is very very competitive for out of state applicants and are particularly nit picky about their academic requirements. It is an absolutely fantastic school though, and I would never discourage you from applying, but I just thought I'd answer based off my experience last year. You can find their past year OOS stats on their website.

@alohacat319 Thanks! Maybe I'll rethink about applying there. It's just dumb how everything else on my app is good except for that god awful exam.

@alohacat319 Thanks! Maybe I'll rethink about applying there. It's just dumb how everything else on my app is good except for that god awful exam.
They do look at the entire application, so I'm not at all saying you wouldn't get in there, only that they do focus on numbers quite a bit. Just weigh the pros and cons and make the best decision for you! :)

Hey everyone!

Anyone here applying to UCD? Just wondering what you guys are doing for your supplemental application personal statements, should it be totally different than the VMCAS essay? Should it be more of an outline as to why I want to go to UCD in particular?

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

Anyone here applying to UCD? Just wondering what you guys are doing for your supplemental application personal statements, should it be totally different than the VMCAS essay? Should it be more of an outline as to why I want to go to UCD in particular?

Thanks!

UCD? As in UC Davis? Because then I'm confused, I thought we didn't get a supplemental until after we submitted... and that there were no essays.

UCD? As in UC Davis? Because then I'm confused, I thought we didn't get a supplemental until after we submitted... and that there were no essays.

Sorry yes I am referring to Dublin

Hey couple questions if anyone has any input. I studied abroad last semester and was wondering if I should put that in my experiences. It was a traditional semester long program so I don't know how I would quantify the hours or they would know I did that by looking at my transcript. Also, I took a class freshmen year called ACES 101 which was basically an introduction to college course, they called it contemporary issues in ACES, but I'm not sure what to put as the subject. Lastly, I've done a lot of stuff with our meat sciences department, which I am putting in just work or experiences, but I've taken a class where I learned how to do things on kill floor and wondering if I should label that as animal experience. If anyone knows any answers let me know, thanks!

Does anybody know how long you will be able to update experiences after you submit? I am considering entering my vet experience as "current" because I will likely intern again over winter break (but that's not until December). Would I be better off as putting the end date for this summer?

Does anybody know how long you will be able to update experiences after you submit? I am considering entering my vet experience as "current" because I will likely intern again over winter break (but that's not until December). Would I be better off as putting the end date for this summer?

I submitted and I can still add new experiences, but I cannot update any of the previously entered ones. I imagine once the VMCAS due date of Sept 15th comes, you can't update anymore?

If you'll continue with this experience, just mark it as current.

Sooooooo........

For all the folks who are already getting anxious about "the wait" ..... just remember: 1) You have total control - you can always withdraw and end the "suffering" of the wait. 2) Your ball is in play, which is better than NOT being in play. Instead of being anxious about the wait, remember all the people behind you in the process who are SO ANXIOUS to get to where you're at - be grateful that you're at the point of applying!

Try and spin it positive for yourself, rather than just wallow in anxiety for months. Keep yourself busy - find other things to do in life. I kept myself busy enough that I forgot it was time to hear from school - I was surprised when I got my notification. Way better than the first go-around when I was all anxious about it.

G'luck with the application cycle! It <is> stressful, I get it. But try to backburner the stress and focus on things that matter and things you can DO something about. It really will make it more tolerable. And I promise, the stresses only get worse. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
I'm about to flip a table over this personal statement.

On the bright side, pretty much everything else is done other than letters. I know one of my writers is waiting until she sees me next week though and the other hasn't finished but is reportedly on top of things. They both wrote letters last year so I trust them to get it done. If they don't hit the deadline I gave them, then we'll have to talk. Of course I'll also have to review everything and ask my mother if she'll pretty please look it over again for errors. It's getting there though. Just the stupid personal statement.

Is retaking the GRE an option for you? Your cumulative percentile is something like 39.6, which is pretty low. I can commiserate with you on the suckiness of the test. I had to take it a couple of times, but my scores are all more competitive now. My quant could always be higher, but I'm actually pretty happy with where I've ended up. Now that you've experienced the test once, you should have a better idea of what to expect and how to study for it.

Where can you find cumulative percentile?

Where can you find cumulative percentile?

I think you just average the percentiles?

WSU is the only school I looked at that said something about cumulative percentiles and I think that's what it said. I found it frustrating because my writing score dragged me down, but oh well because I didn't end up applying there this year anyways.

I think you just average the percentiles?

WSU is the only school I looked at that said something about cumulative percentiles and I think that's what it said. I found it frustrating because my writing score dragged me down, but oh well because I didn't end up applying there this year anyways.

I'm not sure that's true, because that person had 150V 154Q (47%/55%), and those wouldn't average to 39.4 or whatever the number was that PBC had mentioned..

How long does it take for GRE scores to get to schools? It looks like only 2 schools have received them so far. Also, can I submit before it shows if all schools have received GRE scores and if there are some letters of rec to be submitted? I have 3/6 so far.

I'm not sure that's true, because that person had 150V 154Q (47%/55%), and those wouldn't average to 39.4 or whatever the number was that PBC had mentioned..

WSU also includes your AW score percentile in your overall GRE percentile, and they had a 3.0 AW so that's probably where the 39.4 percentile comes from.

I think some schools may only look at Q and V for the GRE, but some do take AW into account as well.

WSU also includes your AW score percentile in your overall GRE percentile, and they had a 3.0 AW so that's probably where the 39.4 percentile comes from.

I think some schools may only look at Q and V for the GRE, but some do take AW into account as well.

oh! oops! I didn't put that into consideration.

oh! oops! I didn't put that into consideration.

It's a blessing and a curse for schools that do. It's so much easier to prep for the other two sections IMO, so if writing isn't your thing and your school does look at it, it can drag you down.

I remember stressing so much until I had my AW scores back :laugh:

On the personal information section, it asks for student reported GPA from primary school. As a graduate student, does anyone know if it's asking for the GPA for just my grad program, just undergrad, or both of them combined together? I went to the same school for both undergrad and grad so they are both my primary school.

On the personal information section, it asks for student reported GPA from primary school. As a graduate student, does anyone know if it's asking for the GPA for just my grad program, just undergrad, or both of them combined together? I went to the same school for both undergrad and grad so they are both my primary school.

They're asking for undergrad :/ it sucks for me too.

Working on my personal statement makes me want to vomit. I haven't even made it to the second question of "Please describe your personal characteristics (background, talents, skills, etc.) or experiences that would add to the educational experience of others." Because that one makes me even more nauseous.

Normally I'm an excellent writer of essays. That flies out the window when I am asked to write about myself. I just have an extremely difficult with it. And because I've left it this long that means I get to spend long hours working on them if I want them read by anyone in the next month.

Of course my letter writers think I should apply to more schools which would mean doing the VMCAS application and taking another biology course which would have to be in the spring if that's even allowed because there aren't any courses open still for the term starting in two weeks. So many decisions to make.

How long does it take for GRE scores to get to schools? It looks like only 2 schools have received them so far. Also, can I submit before it shows if all schools have received GRE scores and if there are some letters of rec to be submitted? I have 3/6 so far.

I was told it takes 3-5 business days to process scores, and then 15 days at most for your schools to receive your scores (if they are electronic, which I believe all U.S. vet schools are now).

I believe I read on here that you can now submit your vmcas application before your 3 min. LOR's are in.

Hey guys, so I have a question. In the program selection part in vmcas under each school's "question" section, does anyone know if the schools can see your responses to other schools? I would like to re-use a few things from one school for another, and I just want to be sure the other schools will not see that. Thanks!

Working on my personal statement makes me want to vomit. I haven't even made it to the second question of "Please describe your personal characteristics (background, talents, skills, etc.) or experiences that would add to the educational experience of others." Because that one makes me even more nauseous.

Normally I'm an excellent writer of essays. That flies out the window when I am asked to write about myself. I just have an extremely difficult with it. And because I've left it this long that means I get to spend long hours working on them if I want them read by anyone in the next month.

Of course my letter writers think I should apply to more schools which would mean doing the VMCAS application and taking another biology course which would have to be in the spring if that's even allowed because there aren't any courses open still for the term starting in two weeks. So many decisions to make.

Ugh I'm there too. My personal statement is done thank god, but that because I started it before VMCAS even opened. Now I have eight schools I need to write supplemental essays for and I want to scream and throw things like a two-year-old. Every time I write something down, I give it to my husband and go "It's complete crap, right?" He gets this confused pained expression on his face that's kind of hilarious. Even if they say it's good, I don't want good you know? This is so frustrating! Good luck to you and your essays, do what you think is right, because this is your life, not anyone else.

Last edited:
So I took the GRE the other day and used my four free score reports for a few schools. I'm applying to more than four schools though, so now I need to pay for extra. Does anyone know if I have to wait for my official scores to come in before I order more score reports? I'm worried that if I order reports now, they'll just send my old scores from a few years ago.

So I took the GRE the other day and used my four free score reports for a few schools. I'm applying to more than four schools though, so now I need to pay for extra. Does anyone know if I have to wait for my official scores to come in before I order more score reports? I'm worried that if I order reports now, they'll just send my old scores from a few years ago.
They should have an option to send most recent, past, or all. Just be careful as if I recall, some schools ask you send all attempts.

They should have an option to send most recent, past, or all. Just be careful as if I recall, some schools ask you send all attempts.

Thanks! Yeah, I have no problem with sending all attempts. I improved, but my first scores weren't bad either. I'm just afraid that ETS will somehow not include my newest scores in "all attempts" because they're not official yet. I guess I can give them a call, but I think you're right that all attempts should cover it.