Georgetown SMP Application Thread for 2015-2016 Class

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You are so overly helpful :hilarious:

DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH THE THOUGHT OF NO FACEBOOK GROUP HURTS ME?
HAD THAT THING UP AND RUNNING BY MID-JANUARY. IT'S MID-FEBRUARY. THEY NEED ONE ASAP.
FacebookFacebookFacebookFacebookFacebookFacebookFacebookFacebookFacebookFacebookFacebookFacebookFacebook

*ahem* ...it builds community. Just want to make sure they can bond somewhere beyond SDN :wacky:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
There is so much happy on this thread right now. Welcome, new SMPs!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We might need to calm down a little... but the Facebook page is a good idea... you guys can meet before orientation, and hangout so that on the day of, it becomes less awkward! That's what we did :D and we became the greatest of friends... as you guys may have realized...

We might need to calm down a little... but the Facebook page is a good idea... you guys can meet before orientation, and hangout so that on the day of, it becomes less awkward! That's what we did :D and we became the greatest of friends... as you guys may have realized...

If there were any current SMP's lurking and wondering who I was, I'm sure all doubt has disappeared after my FB comment.......

Congrats everyone on your Acceptances! I joined so I could engage in all the Cupcake business. >:)

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks so much for the advice! :) :) :) So do you think I should retake it before I come for the SMP, or after it's over? The other problem is that I'm out of the country for a month this summer, so I'm a little hesitant about trying to study for the August one right now, especially if the SMP will help me do better on the coming sections.

When do you plan on applying? If you plan on doing so the cycle *after* the SMP, there definitely won't be enough time to study and take the MCAT in time for that, sorry to say. Once August comes, it hits hard and stays that way throughout. We joke that the MCAT should have been easy compared to med classes...we'd all get 45's now haha. But, we don't say that because we would learn things from the SMP that we could use on the MCAT so much as we have forced ourselves to learn our best way of studying and discipline ourselves. If you can figure that out now in the coming months, you'll not only do well on your MCAT, you'll do much better in the SMP than if you waited until then to figure it out (like many of us).

Yay to everyone who was accepted! I guess we'll be suffering together next year! :highfive:hahaha

I was wondering if anyone currently in the SMP (cupcakes! ;) ) had any advice on how to do well in classes. I've never studied for med school classes so I don't know what to expect! D:

One of my favorite professors lovingly describes "throwing mud at a wall" as a metaphor for medical school learning. The mud is information, and the wall is your brain. We throw a lot of mud at the wall hoping that just a small part sticks, and the rest falls off. We have to keep scooping up the mud that falls down and throw it at the wall again, hoping that a little more sticks each time. Keep throwing mud until the wall is coated. Messy, laborious, but effective.

Honestly, studying for these classes feels like undergrad studying but in much higher quantity. The material is not difficult to understand, but the difficulty lies in keeping up with the sheer volume of information we're expected to know. I can tell you my study plan but you'll quickly fall into your own rhythm that suits you. Most obvious would be to pre-read the material before class, attend every lecture (if you learn best that way) and DO NOT FALL BEHIND. Nearly all of our lectures are in powerpoint format, so I type notes right into the notes margin of the powerpoint slides as the professor goes through the lecture. I don't take any notes otherwise, though plenty of other people write and draw out everything as part of their own learning process. Review that day's material every evening. On the weekends, go back and review everything you did that week. Simple, right? ;)

You won't need to buy many textbooks, and Georgetown also offers a note-taking service where current M1s who were former SMPs sit in on the classes and take notes, which are then distributed to the class. They're not always comprehensive but they're awesome for exam studying. The previous year's notes are also available and those are gold for pre-reading before class.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks so much for the advice! :) :) :) So do you think I should retake it before I come for the SMP, or after it's over? The other problem is that I'm out of the country for a month this summer, so I'm a little hesitant about trying to study for the August one right now, especially if the SMP will help me do better on the coming sections.

This can go both ways, if you are applying this cycle (2015-2016), the last MCAT you can take is in September, or you can look at this program as a 2 years process... Finish it first with high markings and plan on taking the MCAT June-July and apply for the 2016-2017 cycle....

This program will NOT help you with the physics, general chemistry, humanities and whatever other sections but it will help you in biology and biochemistry! So do plan on buying books to study the other sections. I did self study for my MCAT, and after this program you will be a master at self discipline and self-studying so this can greatly benefit you! It does not mean you can't apply this year as well and try to get in with your current MCAT... depending on your state of residency and your background/activities you could possibly get in without having to retake, but it is up to you!

Yay to everyone who was accepted! I guess we'll be suffering together next year! :highfive:hahaha

I was wondering if anyone currently in the SMP (cupcakes! ;) ) had any advice on how to do well in classes. I've never studied for med school classes so I don't know what to expect! D:

When I started, same boat as you, never had med classes and nothing can prepare you for them! The analogy of mud in the wall is real and repetition is key! I struggled a lot at the beginning and I think I am finally getting the hang of it, you just have to keep trying, keep being motivated and always look at improvements! I modified the way I studied a lot of times already, but reading the notes before lecture and reviewing them constantly helps a lot!

All I can say are arteries, veins, lymphatic and nerves! Always know them for the systemic medical classes ( you will soon understand what this means :smug:) and make sure your family/friends understands you will be busy and absent this year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my MCAT score yesterday so I'm officially applying!
Does Georgetown look down upon previous crappy MCAT scores? I got a 22 the first time around (rough time when I took it, shouldn't have had it scored) and 30 second time around. I have a 3.48 GPA and graduated from a top 20 school with the hardest major. Hoping for the best!!

Does Georgetown look down upon previous crappy MCAT scores? I got a 22 the first time around (rough time when I took it, shouldn't have had it scored) and 30 second time around. I have a 3.48 GPA and graduated from a top 20 school with the hardest major. Hoping for the best!!

Seems to me you are also competitive for applying this cycle :) especially DO schools, all depending on your extracurricular activities and volunteering! Good job and good luck!

Wow! congrats on that huge jump. Georgetown will probably help if you're gunning for that MD.

Waiting to hear back from here, but I've finally been marked complete! But so Georgetown reports that around 50% of SMP students get in to medical school during the year of the SMP, and I have some questions about this, that I'm hoping some of y'all can help answer.

(1) Is this 50% of all of the SMP students, or 50% of SMP students who choose to apply the year of the program?
(2) How many students do apply to medical school the year of the program? It seems the program encourages everyone applying the year of. Would someone like myself (3.1 GPA, 32 MCAT) get any love the first time around? I would love to go to school in NY area (SUNY Upstate probably my first choice)
(3) Do a lot of students end up at DO programs? I don't want to be the student whose undergrad stats are so bad they are only attractive to DO schools, even with a impressive showing in this SMP. (I am getting ahead of myself, I know, I haven't even gotten in and I am predicting I can do well lol. I hope I get in and I will work my butt off to do well if I do though!)

Thanks in advance!

Weird question, but do SMP students get access to Georgetown's fitness facilities??

I'm putting together a budget of how much this could potentially cost to help make a decision. I'm hoping I can just put the money I am dedicating to a gym membership towards something like rent (apartments are wayyyyyy to expensive near Gtown) if Gtown has its own facilities for students.

Finally, where do most people live? Apartments are so expensive, so I was thinking maybe surrounding VA or MD would be a better option. I can just drive but then I have to worry about parking and stuff

From what I know, the tuition you pay for the SMP includes fees for athletic facilities! So yes, you get to use it.

Weird question, but do SMP students get access to Georgetown's fitness facilities??

I'm putting together a budget of how much this could potentially cost to help make a decision. I'm hoping I can just put the money I am dedicating to a gym membership towards something like rent (apartments are wayyyyyy to expensive near Gtown) if Gtown has its own facilities for students.

Finally, where do most people live? Apartments are so expensive, so I was thinking maybe surrounding VA or MD would be a better option. I can just drive but then I have to worry about parking and stuff

I'm not currently in the SMP but I live near the area so maybe I can give you some advice.
I've heard many med school students live in neighborhoods called Burleith, Foxhall, and Glover Park. These areas have some really pricey apartments or old townhouses with lots of rooms that you can share with other people. Either way, it's around $1000+ per month.
You could live in VA or MD. The closest you can live to GU in VA is in Rosslyn, which is just across the bridge. I heard there's a shuttle that takes you from the Rosslyn metro stop to GU, but it only takes you to the undergraduate area of GU so you have to walk ~15min to the med school area. But the apartments here are also around $1000+ monthly.
You could live near any one of the metro stops in VA or MD, I think rent would probably get cheaper the farther you go from DC. Arlington, VA is right next to DC and there are lots of apartments there. Anywhere in Northern VA is fine if you want to drive but I've heard rush hour traffic going into DC from VA is a nightmare especially in the morning.
It's a balance between how long you want to commute and how much you want to pay for rent. And I'm not sure how good of a driver you are but DC has a lot of random one-way streets that drivers unknowingly enter by being led astray by traffic cones.
If you really look hard enough on Craigslist, I'm sure you could find some good deals closer to GU though.

Former SMP here. Any and all questions are welcome!

Hey PreMed9242,

1. Is there a GPA range where you can say, if all other parts of your application are sufficient, that you would need to get into GU med? Are there SMP's who have gotten in with achieving a 3.4-3.6 in the program? Were you a same-year applicant?
2. What kind of reception has your work in the GU SMP program gotten in your interviews?

Hey capcom,

Tough, but great questions! Frustratingly enough, I'll answer most of your questions with questions and points of consideration. We are all barnacles looking for exact numbers and answers to cling on to where there are none!

Please take my responses as one man's opinions and experiences. The following information is largely anecdotal and has not been carved into stone nor should be.

1. Please follow up if I misunderstood your first question, but I presume that you are referring to SMP GPA. It is my understanding that your performance in the program and interview will largely determine your admissions success at GUSOM. However, this is not to say that everything else in your application is immaterial; the culmination of your uGPA, reputation of undergraduate institution, MCAT, ECs, ethnicity, and LORs will be considered and kept in balance with your SMP GPA and interview.

I followed the notion that at GUSOM, and most medical schools for that matter, an interview invitation demonstrates an assurance of your preparedness (i.e., you have the chops to become a doctor). With that said, GUSOM interviewed SMP students in the ballpark of a 3.3 all the way to a 4.0 last year. Please remember my aforementioned caveat. It is very likely that students sub-3.3 could have interviewed or that 3.3 was an outlier for that year or there were other extenuating circumstances. A SMP GPA of 3.4-3.6 will most likely get you an interview, but do understand that there will be several students interviewing with SMP GPAs > 3.75. I can't say definitely if or how many students have been accepted in the 3.4-3.6. I do believe that you are 'in the game' at that range and will probably need to lean more heavily on other parts of your application.

Yes, I applied last year, but to no avail (2 interviews, 1 wait list, no acceptances). Bumped up the MCAT and have received 5+ interviews this cycle.

2. The GU SMP program is definitely well known in nearby areas-NC, VA, DC, PA. I can't speak to how well the name rings out in the Midwest or West Coast. If you do well in the program, which in my opinion is a 3.5+, then you will definitely have an opportunity to make a positive impression on interviewers. I've been able to talk about it in every single one of my interviews and love to use it as a point of distinction- "I can and will succeed in your medical school curriculum because....GU SMP."

Hope these answers were helpful. If you're hoping to use GU SMP for acceptance anywhere, shoot for a GPA of +3.5. If you are hoping to get into GUSOM, shoot for a GPA 3.75+. However, be honest in the personal evaluation of your own application when figuring out 'what you need' to get out of the SMP.

Hi @PreMed9242
I had a question: For those who applied again after the year of the SMP, did they get science LORs from SMP professors? Is that possible/advised?

Do the professors have office hours that you can go to?

Hi @PreMed9242
I had a question: For those who applied again after the year of the SMP, did they get science LORs from SMP professors? Is that possible/advised?

Do the professors have office hours that you can go to?

Hey babyface10111,

Every SMP student is assigned a letter-writer (GU Faculty member) that is responsible for writing a personal LOR. Whether it is technically a 'science' LOR is probably a better question for Amy Richards in the SMP office. But yes, that letter will be available to you during the SMP year and anytime afterwards. You may additionally be able to gather a LOR from another faculty member, but I'm not entirely sure if or how that would work. It is STRONGLY advised to use your SMP LOR for your 1st, 2nd, 3rd,...nth application. You never know which schools are familiar with the SMP and this will give them a clear idea of what your work at GU means-you're not retaking undergrad classes, this program is not a GPA inflator or booster....you are taking 1st year medical school courses alongside and curved against 1st year students.

Hope this answers your question. Fee free to PM or post any follow up questions or points for clarification.

Applying soon. 3.55 cGPA/sGPA, 26 MCAT that was retaken for a 34. ORM from CA. Visited DC a few months ago and really fell in love with the city. Will I need a car?

Applying soon. 3.55 cGPA/sGPA, 26 MCAT that was retaken for a 34. ORM from CA. Visited DC a few months ago and really fell in love with the city. Will I need a car?

Just out of curiosity, why do you think you need an SMP? If your goal is to get to a U.S. MD school, your stats shouldn't be a problem.

Would anyone mind answering how y'all are planning on paying/how y'all have paid for the SMP? :( I really, really want to attend, but the cost is kind of killing me.
From what I've seen, most people get government student loans and/or private student loans. Primarily Grad plus loans, which have the best interest rates (fixed).

Just out of curiosity, why do you think you need an SMP? If your goal is to get to a U.S. MD school, your stats shouldn't be a problem.

I'm applying this cycle and only two interviews, both of which are late, i.e. Jan/Feb.

Just got the official acceptance!

Just got the official acceptance!
Same! Congrats again, have you decided if you are going yet?

@tar_heel, I know your question is directed to caseyNCHS but I think we got accepted around the same time. I was complete first week of February, accepted last week (Tuesday I think) and got the official acceptance today as well.

Congratulations! When were you marked complete?
Fellow Tar heel here!

I can shed some light on this. I was complete on 2/2/15, accepted by the adcoms on 2/10/15, and received the official acceptance from the dean today.

I want to say both doctordoctor14 and I have a very similar timeline.

Congratulations! When were you marked complete?

Hey! My timeline is like doctordoctor14's and gwas'. My application was complete on 1-28. I received the unofficial acceptance on the 10th, and just received my official acceptance yesterday!

@doctordoctor14 I was accepted into the MAMS program at Boston University too, but I'm 99% certain that I'll be attending Georgetown. Now to get loans and find roommate(s)! Have you decided if you're going or not?

Hey! My timeline is like doctordoctor14's and gwas'. My application was complete on 1-28. I received the unofficial acceptance on the 10th, and just received my official acceptance yesterday!

@doctordoctor14 I was accepted into the MAMS program at Boston University too, but I'm 99% certain that I'll be attending Georgetown. Now to get loans and find roommate(s)! Have you decided if you're going or not?
Congrats on the BU MAMS acceptance!

I really want to attend, but I am still undecided (about 80% sure I want to go though). My main concerns are the costs and whether it will help me get in to a medical school during the year of the SMP (if it does I could handle being around 60-70k more in debt haha). I have decent ECs, above average research experiences, decent MCAT but a low undergrad GPA (~3.0-3.1), and I don't want my uGPA to be so low that I stand no chance at an MD school even with good SMP grades. I guess schools will only see my fall semester grades, and by then it's already late in the cycle.

I would love to hear about people with similar pre-SMP stats and see how they did, but I can't find anything anywhere. Everyone that I read about that has gotten into a school the year of the program had either a 3.3+ uGPA or 35+ MCAT, so I need to hear success stories from the 3.0-3.2 and 30-33 MCAT peoples to ease my mind lol.

I am in need of some advice. I currently have a 3.3 GPA 3.1 science gpa will be taking the GRE in April. I am not taking the MCAT because of the later test dates. Should I wait for my grades this semester and then apply in May? What do you think my chances are applying so late in the cycle?

Last edited:

I really want to attend, but I am still undecided (about 80% sure I want to go though). My main concerns are the costs and whether it will help me get in to a medical school during the year of the SMP (if it does I could handle being around 60-70k more in debt haha). I have decent ECs, above average research experiences, decent MCAT but a low undergrad GPA (~3.0-3.1), and I don't want my uGPA to be so low that I stand no chance at an MD school even with good SMP grades. I guess schools will only see my fall semester grades, and by then it's already late in the cycle.

I would love to hear about people with similar pre-SMP stats and see how they did, but I can't find anything anywhere. Everyone that I read about that has gotten into a school the year of the program had either a 3.3+ uGPA or 35+ MCAT, so I need to hear success stories from the 3.0-3.2 and 30-33 MCAT peoples to ease my mind lol.

Yeah, the cost as been a huge deterrent for me too, but I think it is worth it. From what I've gathered, the program is well known and some admission committees seek the students out (I read this in some thread). I think if you come rock this program and have a decent MCAT then you will be good. If I'm not mistaken, these programs are designed for people who want to show med schools that they can be successful in med school despite having a lower-than-average GPA!

As for me, I plan on retaking the MCAT (28 on my first try), and rocking this program. I have a decent undergrad GPA (3.55) and great EC, leadership, and research experience, so I think it's gonna come down to my MCAT and this program for me.

I am in need of some advice. I currently have a 3.3 GPA 3.1 science gpa will be taking the GRE in April. Should I wait for my grades this semester and then apply in May? What do you think my chances are applying so late in the cycle?
I would personally go ahead and apply. I've read that they get the majority of their applicants later in the cycle, so you'd have more competition. Also, your GPA seems to be right at average for this program, so that shouldn't deter you. Just rock the GRE!

If you do wait, I'd recommend collecting letters of recommendation now if you haven't already. I had to hound my professors for 2 months.

Hi there!
I was wondering if you had a specific reason you wanted to apply the year of, such as if your MCAT was expiring.
Although Georgetown SMP urges you to apply the year of, the way I see it, it kind of puts the applicant at a disadvantage. You won't have anything different in the application you send in June, and the SMP grades will be sent in later, which by that time will make you a "late" applicant. Then if things don't go well and you have to apply again, you'll be a reapplicant, which is never good.
I think the "applying the year of" is the best for Georgetown med, but there's not much advantage in terms of other schools.
You may get in somewhere during the year, but if you think about it you could have a lot more options of where to go if you just wait one more year.
I understand the urge to start med school as soon as possible (from personal experience haha) but admissions is a strategy game and you should carefully weigh every possibility.

Hi there!
I was wondering if you had a specific reason you wanted to apply the year of, such as if your MCAT was expiring.
Although Georgetown SMP urges you to apply the year of, the way I see it, it kind of puts the applicant at a disadvantage. You won't have anything different in the application you send in June, and the SMP grades will be sent in later, which by that time will make you a "late" applicant. Then if things don't go well and you have to apply again, you'll be a reapplicant, which is never good.
I think the "applying the year of" is the best for Georgetown med, but there's not much advantage in terms of other schools.
You may get in somewhere during the year, but if you think about it you could have a lot more options of where to go if you just wait one more year.
I understand the urge to start med school as soon as possible (from personal experience haha) but admissions is a strategy game and you should carefully weigh every possibility.
Hi!
No, my MCAT won't be expiring (I took it in 2014), thank goodness haha. You make really good points, and that's what scares me, that when the SMP sends my grades out, it might be too late. I want to get into med school as soon as possible and I understand its a strategy game, but I have plenty of personal and familial reasons/issues I have to take into consideration as part of my strategy so it gets complicated sometimes haha. But definitely I am doing my best to weigh every possibility. Thanks for your advice :)

I read somewhere that other schools with their own SMPs are receptive to Georgetown SMP students, so I'm hoping a school like NYMC would give me a chance if I manage to do well at Georgetown.

Hey! That would be me but I am not that much of a success story yet! I am waitlisted at a medical school, which is good because there is a lot of movement in June/July. (fingers crossed, and several candles are lit lol)

BTW if you guys don't already know this: if you are on an SMP program anywhere, medical schools will wait until your fall grades to make a decision/look at your application... There are several people in my program who are getting interviews right now... only a few got those interviews during the fall but the number right now is very high!

I am in need of some advice. I currently have a 3.3 GPA 3.1 science gpa will be taking the GRE in April. Should I wait for my grades this semester and then apply in May? What do you think my chances are applying so late in the cycle?

I am confused as to why you are taking the GRE? For medical schools you need to have the MCAT score... and I was completed on May 12, and accepted May 14, so its not late however make sure you have everything ready to go ( rec. letter and all) when you apply :horns:

Hi!
No, my MCAT won't be expiring (I took it in 2014), thank goodness haha. You make really good points, and that's what scares me, that when the SMP sends my grades out, it might be too late. I want to get into med school as soon as possible and I understand its a strategy game, but I have plenty of personal and familial reasons/issues I have to take into consideration as part of my strategy so it gets complicated sometimes haha. But definitely I am doing my best to weigh every possibility. Thanks for your advice :)

I read somewhere that other schools with their own SMPs are receptive to Georgetown SMP students, so I'm hoping a school like NYMC would give me a chance if I manage to do well at Georgetown.

Are you from NY?? Not trying to creep out on you but there is one person I know of in our program, from NY who is already conditionally accepted at NYMC ( this person has to get at least Bs in all classes) so.... success story for you? I know the stats weren't great for who got accepted (not putting them here because its not mine to tell), but it definitely gives all of us hope :D and they say you might have to consider this a 2 year process, all programs like this do because sometimes there is more than grades that you need to fix in you application!

Are you from NY?? Not trying to creep out on you but there is one person I know of in our program, from NY who is already conditionally accepted at NYMC ( this person has to get at least Bs in all classes) so.... success story for you? I know the stats weren't great for who got accepted (not putting them here because its not mine to tell), but it definitely gives all of us hope :D and they say you might have to consider this a 2 year process, all programs like this do because sometimes there is more than grades that you need to fix in you application!
Haha yup I'm from NY! And I really would like to stay in NY (who wouldn't right haha). I don't know what much else I can fix on my application. I am lacking in shadowing I guess, but by the time I apply for medical school this summer, these problems should be fixed, leaving me with only my GPA to worry about. I guess it would be smartest to consider this a two year process, that way I don't limit myself. Long term it makes sense to go to the best school possible, not just the first school that would accept me.

Thanks for sharing your friend's story, it definitely gives me hope. Also, I am sure you will be a success story as well in a couple of weeks!! Best of luck :)

It's me again, back to ask some more questions. Can I just say first of all how in love I am with you current SMPers? You've been so friendly and helpful, and I really appreciate all of your guidance!

I am completely unfamiliar with DC (really, actually, I'm completely unfamiliar with the entire east coast). Where would be the best place to look for housing? I know rent is steep, but I'm currently in the Bay Area, so that's nothing new to me. I want to live somewhere close to campus if possible. Also, when did you all start looking for housing? I'll be doing my search from across the country, so any tips you have would be greatly appreciated!

Also, for people who are joining this class- did we get that facebook group up and running yet?

Hey! That would be me but I am not that much of a success story yet! I am waitlisted at a medical school, which is good because there is a lot of movement in June/July. (fingers crossed, and several candles are lit lol)

BTW if you guys don't already know this: if you are on an SMP program anywhere, medical schools will wait until your fall grades to make a decision/look at your application... There are several people in my program who are getting interviews right now... only a few got those interviews during the fall but the number right now is very high!

I am confused as to why you are taking the GRE? For medical schools you need to have the MCAT score... and I was completed on May 12, and accepted May 14, so its not late however make sure you have everything ready to go ( rec. letter and all) when you apply :horns:

As I stated in my original post, my MCAT scores will not be available until AFTER the deadline. Therefore, I am taking the GRE for the program........

Being accepted during the SMP year really depends on a whole bunch of factors. That's why its so hard to give a straight answer and also get reliable information. Besides GPA/MCAT, you've also got to take into to account state of residency, where they applied, how many schools, EC quality, science GPA, upward or downward GPA trend during undergrad, and even where they went to undergrad.

For example, a 3.2/33 from Columbia with great ECs is completely different than a 3.2/33 from SUNY Albany with poor ECs.

At least when I was at Gtown (this might be out of date since its been over 3 years now) the low GPA/MCAT people (using your criteria) who had the most success usually came from a good undergrad, had great ECs, applied early to realistic schools, and did very well during the fall semester.

If you're willing to give more info (re: above factors) we might be able to give you a better answer.

Same thing goes for other people on the fence about applying.

It's me again, back to ask some more questions. Can I just say first of all how in love I am with you current SMPers? You've been so friendly and helpful, and I really appreciate all of your guidance!

I am completely unfamiliar with DC (really, actually, I'm completely unfamiliar with the entire east coast). Where would be the best place to look for housing? I know rent is steep, but I'm currently in the Bay Area, so that's nothing new to me. I want to live somewhere close to campus if possible. Also, when did you all start looking for housing? I'll be doing my search from across the country, so any tips you have would be greatly appreciated!

Also, for people who are joining this class- did we get that facebook group up and running yet?

The cheapest places nearby are usually across the river in northern VA. There's a GUTS bus stop right down to street from the Rosslyn Metro. Its about a 10min ride depending on traffic then a quick hike up the hill to the medical school.

Other than that you can live in Georgetown itself, usually north of Reservoir road, but the apartments more pricey and smaller.