Gluconeogenesis Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callmesubo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
According to Kaplan biochem pg 307, excess Acetyl-CoA activates pyruvate carboxylase therefore favoring Gluconeogenesis. Excess Acetyl CoA means well fed state No?

I was under the impression that Gluconeogenesis happens when you are in "starving" phase. Meaning when you are starving, your body uses glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis to maintain the constant glucose level in blood. I think I am just confused. Help please!

Members don't see this ad.

The excess Acetyl-CoA is produced from Beta Oxidation and therefore the body is actually in the starving state.

According to Kaplan biochem pg 307, excess Acetyl-CoA activates pyruvate carboxylase therefore favoring Gluconeogenesis. Excess Acetyl CoA means well fed state No?

I was under the impression that Gluconeogenesis happens when you are in "starving" phase. Meaning when you are starving, your body uses glycogenolysis and gluconeogenesis to maintain the constant glucose level in blood. I think I am just confused. Help please!
Excess Acetyl CoA could mean that the Krebs Cycle is backed up (which could also mean the ETC is backed up too). This could lead us to believe that since we're already making so much ATP through the Krebs Cycle & ETC, that we do not need to use additional Acetyl CoA to make even more ATP.

So, instead of making even more pyruvate --> Acetyl CoA through glycolsysis and the PDC, Pyruvate Carboxylase is activated. This leads to gluconeogenesis happening instead.