GREAT video games that are helping us kill time until normalcy resumes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ahh that's a shame. I heard they've made some changes to the storyline as well, that true so far?

I only played thru about 20 minutes or so, didn't even make it to the part where they blow up the Mako reactor.
The perspective ruins things. I don't want to spend countless minutes training the camera to go where I want to see.
Its too easy to miss things like chests/etc that way; and it ruins the point of exploring.

I'm going to give it ONE more try; but that's it.
A traditional turn-based-RPG really doesn't cut the mustard as an action-hack-and-slash game because you can't enjoy the strategy.

I hit this part with remote gun turrets that only Barrett could hit with his gun-arm, and watched Cloud stare dumbly at the guns with his mouth open and get blasted at. That was enough.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I started trying to replay the Last of Us and forgot how utterly gut wrenching it is. It's like playing a Cormac McCarthy novel. My wife watched me play the intro then left the room sobbing.
That is an awesome quote:

"It's like playing a Cormac McCarthy novel."

Stealing that.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
The Leaks for TLOU2 are....interesting.

Members don't see this ad :)
C7A5F1AC-2D98-4BE4-993A-B2E4DA6B2FDF.gif

GOOOOOD. I am so tempted to look into them. I am not someone who generally cares about spoilers - in movies at least. I thought I didnt care about game spoilers, but the last two games I played had such good twists that I didnt see coming that I want to maybe avoid them in games for a bit. At least really good ones like left for dead.

I never played the first TLOU. I saw the first few minute gameplay, was too heart broken. Drank something expensive. And moved on. But still, looks intriguing.

I never played the first TLOU. I saw the first few minute gameplay, was too heart broken. Drank something expensive. And moved on. But still, looks intriguing.
Tremendous game - story quality is comparable to many serious films. Some great twists and turns and a satisfyingly unsatisfying ending.

Reactions: 1 users
DBZ: Kakarot

Once you get used to the controls and get to do side quests, it’s pretty fun.

Anybody remember Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption? I played the hell out of that game when it came out though I didn't play through all of Bloodlines. Bloodlines 2 is looking awesome.

Anybody remember Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption? I played the hell out of that game when it came out though I didn't play through all of Bloodlines. Bloodlines 2 is looking awesome.

VtM:R was amazing. My friends and I set up a LAN just for multiplayer templar-vs-vampire action. Had a great modding scene too

Well I'm sitting here doing two things:
- Playing StarCraft Broodwar on one computer monitor
- listening to Grateful Dead's Dark Star on the other .

Life could be worse....

starcraft Dak Star.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
So I found out that the APD and US director at my program both play Smash on the Switch. I so badly want to challenge them and play as Marth and Lucina. Maybe a residents vs attendings battle? Any Switch Smash players out there?

So I found out that the APD and US director at my program both play Smash on the Switch. I so badly want to challenge them and play as Marth and Lucina. Maybe a residents vs attendings battle? Any Switch Smash players out there?
I used to play on GameCube, until one of my roommates started to decimate all of us repeatedly with the Ice Climbers. My self-confidence never did recover.

Members don't see this ad :)

I Love Smash Ultimate! I'm not good compared to all these pros with flashy moves, but it's amazing. Better with local multiplayer, have been trying to play with friends online d/t social distancing....but the online is ****.

Minecraft Dungeons is out and free on GamePass. I installed and played a little last night as a break from destroying 7th graders in crucible on Destiny 2 with my Warlock-Bastion/Misfit/Void Blink/Astrocyte Verse setup that seems to always piss off the opposing team.

It's kind of a weird game so far... It has no mechanic that is related to the original Minecraft game (which I never quite understood the cult phenomenon honestly) So, you can't build things or deconstruct/reconstruct environments, etc.. It honestly reminded me of the old series of D&D Dark Alliance and that genre of isometric RPGs. In this case though, the graphics are pixelated and the art/levels are set up to appear that they were created in Minecraft, etc.. but that's about where the similarities lie... Pretty shallow game so far. I'm not terribly impressed. Maybe it will get better. Getting mixed reviews but about 70% on metacritic so far.

• Haha
Destiny 2. The grind never ends.

I loved Destiny. Destiny 2 ate my soul. Never again Bungie. Raiding was so much fun. . . .if you could find 5 half way decent people to play with.

Surprised to see nobody has mentioned the Total War series. Its a combination of turn based strategy and real-time strategy. If you like military history I'd highly recommend, but be forewarned that they are pretty taxing on the PC so you'll need a pretty good rig to run them at full settings.

The original Rome: total war was my favorite. It was like $4 on steam.

I grabbed the whole X-wing series, as well as Star Wars Rebellion for oldies. I think I should see if there is Dark Forces available.

I've been playing Dead by Dawn. A bit of World of Tanks (free btw). All this talk, and I'm getting nostalgic for Homeworld.

Also Kerbal Space Program should be a must for anyone who loves space and wants to learn about orbital mechanics. (sequel should come out sometime in the next year, too).

I used to play on GameCube, until one of my roommates started to decimate all of us repeatedly with the Ice Climbers. My self-confidence never did recover.

I completely suck at most video games, but to be honest, it's likely a blessing in disguise. I'm pretty sure if I was any good, I'd be gaming non stop, would have dropped out of high school and be living in my parents basement....

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty sure I'd have aspirations to be a full time gamer on Twitch ect. if I was in college now.

I completely suck at most video games, but to be honest, it's likely a blessing in disguise. I'm pretty sure if I was any good, I'd be gaming non stop, would have dropped out of high school and be living in my parents basement....

Minecraft Dungeons is out and free on GamePass. I installed and played a little last night as a break from destroying 7th graders in crucible on Destiny 2 with my Warlock-Bastion/Misfit/Void Blink/Astrocyte Verse setup that seems to always piss off the opposing team.
A guy wrote an article on Slate more than ten, maybe 15, years ago about playing online, maybe it was Counterstrike, and just being social, and, on the headset, you hear these kids' voices, all high and squeaky and cracking, and he was, like, "Whoa!".

I tried to find it, but couldn't. I spent at LEAST 2 minutes looking for it. Boy, I'm tired! But, I'll fire up Railroad Tycoon 3, and be OK.

• Haha
A guy wrote an article on Slate more than ten, maybe 15, years ago about playing online, maybe it was Counterstrike, and just being social, and, on the headset, you hear these kids' voices, all high and squeaky and cracking, and he was, like, "Whoa!".

I tried to find it, but couldn't. I spent at LEAST 2 minutes looking for it. Boy, I'm tired! But, I'll fire up Railroad Tycoon 3, and be OK.

Man, that reminds me of something that happened a few months ago.

So, they've got these "raids" in Destiny 2. It's kind of like...a really long cooperative campaign with surprisingly sophisticated mechanics where everyone needs to be familiar with their role, etc.. otherwise everyone dies and you just have to start over. Stand on this switch while shooting point A, go backwards, go right, rub your tummy while standing on one leg...that sort of thing. Well, I've never played one before and am sipping some scotch one night and decide to jump into one of these things and give it a shot. I picked one called "Leviathan - KWTD". I figured KWTD was some sort of raid boss or something. Well as soon as I drop into the mic chatter, I'm immediately surrounded by squeaky voiced kids, actually it was squeaky voiced boys all trying to flirt with this girl (who sounded about 12) and happened to be leading the entire thing. Well, I didn't say a word and start following these kids around helping them kill stuff. Well, things are starting to get surprisingly complicated and they're starting to give code words for the level and assign roles and it's very apparent by now that I don't know what I'm doing. I then figured out that "KWTD" means "Know What To Do", lol. So, my adult voice lowers over the chat channel and I go "Hey..kids err..boys and girls...look, I'm an old dude who's never been on this raid before and need some help. So, uhh...who wants to help an old geezer out?" Now, in their defense, they were surprisingly nice about it and started trying to teach me the ropes of how to get through a certain section and took to calling me "gramps". "Gramps! No, not like that, you've got to shoot here....Gramps! Follow me dude, damn." Well, sooner or later I get everyone killed because gramps still can't get his act together, so the 12 year old girl leader kicks me from the group and they brought in another squeaky voiced kid to take my place. LOL!

Needless to say, I haven't worked up the confidence to join another raid party...

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

So, they've got these "raids" in Destiny 2. It's kind of like...a really long cooperative campaign with surprisingly sophisticated mechanics where everyone needs to be familiar with their role, etc.. otherwise everyone dies and you just have to start over. Stand on this switch while shooting point A, go backwards, go right, rub your tummy while standing on one leg...that sort of thing. Well, I've never played one before and am sipping some scotch one night and decide to jump into one of these things and give it a shot. I picked one called "Leviathan - KWTD". I figured KWTD was some sort of raid boss or something. Well as soon as I drop into the mic chatter, I'm immediately surrounded by squeaky voiced kids, actually it was squeaky voiced boys all trying to flirt with this girl (who sounded about 12) and happened to be leading the entire thing. Well, I didn't say a word and start following these kids around helping them kill stuff. Well, things are starting to get surprisingly complicated and they're starting to give code words for the level and assign roles and it's very apparent by now that I don't know what I'm doing. I then figured out that "KWTD" means "Know What To Do", lol. So, my adult voice lowers over the chat channel and I go "Hey..kids err..boys and girls...look, I'm an old dude who's never been on this raid before and need some help. So, uhh...who wants to help an old geezer out?" Now, in their defense, they were surprisingly nice about it and started trying to teach me the ropes of how to get through a certain section and took to calling me "gramps". "Gramps! No, not like that, you've got to shoot here....Gramps! Follow me dude, damn." Well, sooner or later I get everyone killed because gramps still can't get his act together, so the 12 year old girl leader kicks me from the group and they brought in another squeaky voiced kid to take my place. LOL!

Needless to say, I haven't worked up the confidence to join another raid party...
Nice job, Leroy Jenkins!!

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

yoiu might try LFG, Clan Matchmaking, Discord Bot and Companion Apps For Video Games

It might help you avoid the squeakers.

The squeakers are part of why I stopped playing BF3/BF4/BF1/CS:GO/GTA. Interesting.
Any online FPS I install, the first thing I do is set it to mute everyone else except my friend list. The last thing I need is to listen to a bunch of prepubescent kids talking smack.

Reactions: 2 users
Any online FPS I install, the first thing I do is set it to mute everyone else except my friend list. The last thing I need is to listen to a bunch of prepubescent kids talking smack.
<teabags your corpse repeatedly>
I honestly never got into any online CoD after the first modern warfare because the 10 year olds were insane gods of death on there.

watched my fiancees college age younger brother playing CoD recently. I generally find him to be unusually good (i'll stop short of exceptionally good) on other shooting games. But oh my god.... he was getting killed every 10-13 seconds. It was just a meat grinder. I didnt understand how he could enjoy that.

<teabags your corpse repeatedly>
I honestly never got into any online CoD after the first modern warfare because the 10 year olds were insane gods of death on there.

watched my fiancees college age younger brother playing CoD recently. I generally find him to be unusually good (i'll stop short of exceptionally good) on other shooting games. But oh my god.... he was getting killed every 10-13 seconds. It was just a meat grinder. I didnt understand how he could enjoy that.
Oh, that was the thesis of one of the skits on "SNL at home". Mikey Day was a guy that was, supposedly, such a good gamer that he had a highly subscribed channel, and he goes to play a game, although I don't recall which one, but it was a wartime FPS, and he, continually, gets sniped, faster and faster, and, in an increasing fashion, more humiliating. He, then, shows a "web error", which gets him out of the game, to go to a simpler game, like a Mario Brothers, and, likewise, gets his ass kicked nearly immediately.

I'm sorry I don't recall the name. If you can find it on YouTube, it's worth it.

download gwent for your phone.

Simple game at first. But its deceptive like that. To simplify out all of the mechanisms.... its just a game of war (the card game). youre given 10 cards with number values. so is your opponent. and you take turns playing them. At any time you can stop rather than playing a card. highest score wins. game is best 2-out-of-3. But you only get 3 new cards between rounds so there is a strong incentive to making your opponent play more cards than you, blow all their high value cards on a round you dont care about, or both. since its 2-out-of-3, strategic throwing of matches is a common part of the game to leave your opponent with few cards or ****ty cards.

but then you add in numerous layers of mechanics on top of that to make the strategy much much more complex.

A three round game takes 10 minutes, sometimes less. easy way to pass time in small intervals.

Usually I'm just playing CS GO to relax.. Counter Strike was my favorite game since childhood. Now I don't have time to play video games, because I am working a lot. However, I am playing it from time to time, on holidays. It's pretty nice to remember youth, you know. I was really good at this game, but now I am always losing :D At least it's fun :) I am lucky that one of my friends has recommended me a boosting service - https://eloboss.net/faceit-boost , and I have raised my rank thanks to that. If not them, I would still be a silver.

Last edited:
highly recommend gta 5 for relieving stress and simply relaxing after a hard day. I can tell from my personal experience that a game where you're playing a gangster and have to drive cars very fast and so on really takes everything off your mind and leaves you with adrenaline and empty mind for some time :D I even downloaded it from this site gta5mobile.club on my mobile device and now whenever I'm in a bad mood or have smething on my mind I just play it on my phone and feel relieved.

Last edited:
Bumping the thread because I recently got a valve index VR setup and have been playing Half Life: Alyx. It's pretty amazing. The VR is so immersive that I didnt even "play the game" for the first 45 minutes I was in it as I was too busy walking around aimlessly, picking up random objects on the ground, scribbling on walls with a pen I found on a desk etc etc.

Tonight I reached my first challenging gunfight and I legitimately got my hr up from all the ducking behind cover, popping up, running somewhere else etc.

I introduced my 13yo kid to Fable not having played it in around 5-7 years. The look on the wife's face when "Huh...what's a bordello? ...OH NO I THINK I SLEPT WITH SOMEBODY!" came echoing up the stairs in my lovely daughter's voice was...epic.

She loves the game so much we're going to have to come to an agreement about not telling her mom all the shenanigans that you can get up to in Fable II

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Anyone else playing The Last of Us Part 2? Creeping through a burnt-out husk of Seattle where factions of anti-federal protestors destroyed the city, trying to find a cure for a worldwide pandemic? #tooreal

(But also really good so far.)

Anyone else playing The Last of Us Part 2? Creeping through a burnt-out husk of Seattle where factions of anti-federal protestors destroyed the city, trying to find a cure for a worldwide pandemic? #tooreal

I've been holding off. The first one was amazing, but the opening sequence was pretty rough... and that was before I was a dad. The post-apocalyptic genre has become a little harder to get into now that I see it through the eyes of a parent and not just some guy. I'm sure it's amazing and will probably play it eventually.

OK, I've got two weeks in quarantine coming up with my 6 year old son and 3.5 year old daughter – got a Switch. I've got BotW, MarioKart, and Goose Game so far. Any other suggestions? Any experience with Pokemon Sword/Shield as sort of a co-op adventure to do with them? I've no Pokemon experience, but it seems geared towards kids ....

If I boot up my PS4, this will be the next thing I will play. For now, I'm pretty much 100% XB1 and with GamePass there's just so many things to try but I def would like to play LOU2 as I loved the first one.

Bumping the thread because I recently got a valve index VR setup and have been playing Half Life: Alyx. It's pretty amazing. The VR is so immersive that I didnt even "play the game" for the first 45 minutes I was in it as I was too busy walking around aimlessly, picking up random objects on the ground, scribbling on walls with a pen I found on a desk etc etc.

Tonight I reached my first challenging gunfight and I legitimately got my hr up from all the ducking behind cover, popping up, running somewhere else etc.

Dude... I'm dying to try that game. I just don't have a gaming PC and can't justify decking out a rig and then buying all the gear just for a single game but it looks amazing.

When does baldurs gate 3 come out?
IDK, but Larian studios is working on it (same people that did Divinity Original Sin 2). DOS2 is awesome and very Baldur's Gateesque. I'd recommend installing the divinity unleashed mod. It makes some major changes / fixes. One of the biggest changes is that it makes CC less powerful, but you don't have to break an enemy's armor first before CCing them or applying status effects. This basically opens up the ability to have a broad, balanced team instead of being forced to just damage stack/burst everything.

Last edited:
Dude... I'm dying to try that game. I just don't have a gaming PC and can't justify decking out a rig and then buying all the gear just for a single game but it looks amazing.
They are apparently making a goldeneye mod for Alyx too. They've already completed the dam and facility levels.

EDIT: nice, the completed levels are already released. Gonna finish the normal Alyx campaign first, but downloading those now.

Last edited:
They are apparently making a goldeneye mod for Alyx too. They've already completed the dam and facility levels.

EDIT: nice, the completed levels are already released. Gonna finish the normal Alyx campaign first, but downloading those now.

This looks ridiculously awesome. Will try tonight after work.

If I boot up my PS4, this will be the next thing I will play. For now, I'm pretty much 100% XB1 and with GamePass there's just so many things to try but I def would like to play LOU2 as I loved the first one.
I have only played a few hours of it, but it is incredibly well-made and incredibly stress-inducing, thus far.

IDK, but Larian studios is working on it (same people that did Divinity Original Sin 2). DOS2 is awesome and very Baldur's Gateesque. I'd recommend installing the divinity unleashed mod. It makes some major changes / fixes. One of the biggest changes is that it makes CC less powerful, but you don't have to break an enemy's armor first before CCing them or applying status effects. This basically opens up the ability to have a broad, balanced team instead of being forced to just damage stack/burst everything.

Oh hell ya thanks for the info, I just started playing divinity and was trying to figure out which way to customize my classes. Really didnt want to go down the "all physical" or "all magic" dmg route as that just sounded boring. Now I can actually have an old school party (ranger, wizard, tank of some sort, thief or healer)

Well, was about to by a gaming desktop, guess its a sure thing now. Writing that **** off as a business expense, hehe

Well, was about to by a gaming desktop, guess its a sure thing now. Writing that **** off as a business expense, hehe
Nice. Just make sure you check out the system spec requirements for Alyx. If you're buying a new gaming rig, it shouldn't be hard to meet those recs, but they are fairly steep for any older systems / current budget options.

• MINIMUM:
    • Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
    • Processor: Core i5-7500 / Ryzen 5 1600
    • Memory: 12 GB RAM
    • Graphics: GTX 1060 / RX 580 - 6GB VRAM