Have 2 specialties in Psychology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PsychMajorUndergrad18

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am very interested in the specialties of clinical psychology and neuropsychology. Is it possible to be a practicing psychologist that is taught how to be a psychologist of both of these specialties or should I focus on one more than the other. My interests in both of these specialties are:

Clinical Psychology:
  • Assessing clients who may present with symptoms associated with mood disorders, anxiety disorders, psychotic disorders, or personality disorders.
  • Providing different types of therapy to help patients with the above disorders (CBT, psychodynamic therapy) or focusing on one type of therapy
  • Do research on the characteristics of these disorders and how useful assessment and therapy is for these disorders
Neuropsychology:
  • Doing neuropsychological tests in order to get a precise (or as precise possible) diagnosis of stroke, TBI, Alzheimer's and other neurological conditions
  • Working with Neurologists and Neurosurgeons in order to figure out if a disease is primarily psychological with neurological effects/characteristics or if it is primarily neurological with psychological characteristics
  • Provide therapy to patients with neurological conditions
  • Identify and communicate risks associated with specific neurological surgical procedures to patients and their families
  • Conduct and participate in research pertaining to neuropsychological disorders and other conditions
Is there a possibility to do both of these specialties or should I settle on one? Also is it possible to be board certified in both neuropsychology and clinical psychology from ABPP? Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Neuropsychology is subspecialty/division of clinical psychology.

Sorry I thought they were different specialties. What I'm trying to ask is if you could practice on both of these areas.

Members don't see this ad :)
To become a neuropsychologist you need to attend a clinical psychology PhD program. You'll first become a licensed clinical psychologist and you can later pursue boarding in clinical neuropsychology. When all is said and done your title will likely be 'Board Certified Clinical Neuropsychologist' or something along those lines. Some programs have dedicated clinical neuropsychology concentrations but it's not mandatory to attend one of these programs. If you are attending a more generalist program then you'll need to seek out neuropsychology related practicum and focus on assessment hours.

Your clinical psych interest is really broad, so I don't think it precludes you from neuropsychology. Keep in mind though that most neuropsychologists don't do much therapy.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks everyone for all the advice. Since I am only a freshman in college I believe that once I get to take more detailed classes I will be able to have more detailed interests between one field or the other (so far I'm leading towards neuropsychology!!). I feel like Neuropsychology is needed more in the field than clinical psychology now because of its usefulness in other disciplines in and out of the behavioral sciences (especially because clinical psych in general is very popular). Do you guys believe that neuropsychology is more in demand in our field? Also do you think someone with post doctoral training and experience in Neuropsychology would be more competitive for certain positions than just a regular clinical psych professional?

Thanks everyone for all the advice. Since I am only a freshman in college I believe that once I get to take more detailed classes I will be able to have more detailed interests between one field or the other (so far I'm leading towards neuropsychology!!). I feel like Neuropsychology is needed more in the field than clinical psychology now because of its usefulness in other disciplines in and out of the behavioral sciences (especially because clinical psych in general is very popular). Do you guys believe that neuropsychology is more in demand in our field? Also do you think someone with post doctoral training and experience in Neuropsychology would be more competitive for certain positions than just a regular clinical psych professional?

You keep drawing distinctions where none exist. Neuropsychologist ARE clinical psychologists.

As far as being more in demand, no, not from a pure numbers standpoint. A simple google search of national jobs openings picks this up. Scores of neuropsychologist positions. But hundreds of positions for more generalized positions in clinical practice. Post-doc training in neuro will make you more competitive for neuropsychologist positions (its a necessity). But, if I need someone who is really good at running DBT groups or doing family and systems therapy, a post-doc in neuropsych is of little help with this.

Last edited:
In reality, neuropsych work is very very niche. There is also an over-abundance of ppl who claim to do neuropsychology, though far less of them actually completed fellowships and related training in the area. So the net result is a competitive marketplace, though there are still jobs for good applicants.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Sorry that I keep branching neuropsychology as its own things. I seem to forget that it is a apart of clinical psychology.

Erg923: Is it safe to assume that clinical psychology jobs are more in demand due to these professional being more generalist in they work?

Therapist4Change: Thanks for giving me a more idea of what neuropsychology is in regards to the field of clinical psychology. (being more of a part of or a niche of clinical psychology)

In general, would you guys recommend that someone has more of a generalist background in clinical psychology or should someone have a certain specialty or work in a subfield of clinical psychology?

In general, would you guys recommend that someone has more of a generalist background in clinical psychology or should someone have a certain specialty or work in a subfield of clinical psychology?

To use an analogy:
Every plumber needs to know how to fix a leaky sink and replace the toilet. However, there is higher earning potential when you draw up the blueprints and to determine the layout of plumbing systems and water supply networks for their house.

Erg923, your analogy seems very well thought-out but It kind of confusing but also kind of not. So are you trying to say that every clinical psychologist needs to know how to do the basics such as assessment, therapy and other fundamentals but also can higher their potential by picking a special area or population to work with/in?

Erg923, your analogy seems very well thought-out but It kind of confusing but also kind of not. So are you trying to say that every clinical psychologist needs to know how to do the basics such as assessment, therapy and other fundamentals but also can higher their potential by picking a special area or population to work with/in?

yes