Have you guys heard back from the programs yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bestcoast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering.
One of my friends who matched last year into Psych told me that she started hearing programs in the beginning of Feb.

How about you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

Just wondering.
One of my friends who matched last year into Psych told me that she started hearing programs in the beginning of Feb.

How about you guys?

I dont see the point for them "getting back to us".

Outside of a -Thank You for interviewing me- Letter we shouldn't be playing the "tell me whats on your mind" game.

The main reason a program would be contacting us at this point is to be nosey about how we plan to rank them (sometimes framed as "do you have any questions?"). And I have no intention of giving that info up to none other than my first love. ;) so SCRAM! lol

And I dont see the point in telling a program "I plan to rank you highly", as the only semi-definitive inference from it is "I really liked your program but you probably aren't my number 1" which for some could potentially be a negative move. Therefore I believe in the method of silence (outside of your first of course).

I've heard from three over the past month- one offering me a second look and the other two just thanking me for interviewing and saying something non-committal about the match....

It sort of seems silly to me. For a second, I get this brief rush of positive feelings (The program loved me; I won't be trying to scramble or end up homeless with thousands upon thousands of dollars in student loans, etc.) Then I remember that I can't really believe any of this post interview correspondence and that they might be saying the same exact thing to all 50 people they plan to rank.

I suppose the only thing that such correspondence tells you is that they are planning to rank you somewhere on their list... That could be number one or number seventy eight, but it seems unlikely that a program would waste time calling or emailing people that the program isn't planning to rank at all....

Members don't see this ad :)

Outside of a -Thank You for interviewing me- Letter we shouldn't be playing the "tell me whats on your mind" game.

The main reason a program would be contacting us at this point is to be nosey about how we plan to rank them (sometimes framed as "do you have any questions?"). And I have no intention of giving that info up to none other than my first love. ;) so SCRAM! lol

And I dont see the point in telling a program "I plan to rank you highly", as the only semi-definitive inference from it is "I really liked your program but you probably aren't my number 1" which for some could potentially be a negative move. Therefore I believe in the method of silence (outside of your first of course).

Again, we don't care where you're going to rank us. It is no advantage to us to know.

Our program did contact applicants we "liked" because it's been a long time since they were here (for many) and frankly, we want to keep our name out there, let them know that we believe in our program, and hope that they'll associate good things with us, whether or not they match here. I suppose that by contacting them we are implying that they are at least "rankable" (or we wouldn't bother), but we're not trying to wheedle out privileged information.

i've had several ask if i had questions, and one tell me how they were ranking me.

Again, we don't care where you're going to rank us. It is no advantage to us to know.

Our program did contact applicants we "liked" because it's been a long time since they were here (for many) and frankly, we want to keep our name out there, let them know that we believe in our program, and hope that they'll associate good things with us, whether or not they match here. I suppose that by contacting them we are implying that they are at least "rankable" (or we wouldn't bother), but we're not trying to wheedle out privileged information.

Thanks for shedding some light upon us, OldPsychDoc. I can respect the hustle for your stronger applicants and/or those whom you think may be a great fit. But I have to admit, I've been getting some correspondence emails that come off as slightly abrasive and awkward. And I dont consider myself to be one of those amazing applicants who went in with a killer app and became Jesus's little brother on interview day.

If there is a more appropriate and sincere way to maintain contact with favorable applicants, I'm all for it. Most of it, however, seems to reek of what Saluki mentions, leaving you feeling uncertain about how "special" you are either by execution of wording and/or formatting of email.

So OldPsychDoc:

How likely is a "rankable" applicant to be appropriated to matching status (by program) if he/she lets you know that they plan to rank you #1?

Im not sure this question has been (directly) asked before. Excuse me, if so.

For some programs, all things being equal between you and somebody else, they'd rather have the person that was most excited about their program. Some programs want to leave the list alone and let the cards fall as they may. I didn't see any correlation between how good the programs were and how much they might adjust their rank list based on love letters. For the most part, the effect is fairly marginal. Be genuine, tell the truth, and let it ride.

For some programs, all things being equal between you and somebody else, they'd rather have the person that was most excited about their program. Some programs want to leave the list alone and let the cards fall as they may. I didn't see any correlation between how good the programs were and how much they might adjust their rank list based on love letters. For the most part, the effect is fairly marginal. Be genuine, tell the truth, and let it ride.

Thanks, BillyPilgrim!

When you say "no correlation between how good programs were and how they might adjust rank list based on love letters" are you saying that regardless of how competitive a program might be, any post-loveletter changes to the rank list (usually marginal) are just as likely to happen at a big majority of programs across the board

When you say "no correlation between how good programs were and how they might adjust rank list based on love letters" are you saying that regardless of how competitive a program might be, any post-loveletter changes to the rank list (usually marginal) are just as likely to happen at a big majority of programs across the board

Well, I interviewed at 11 programs, and if I made a list 1-11 of how competitive they were, and made a list 1-11 of how much they seemed to be playing this game, the correlation would be zero.

Those programs that brag about only having to go down X spots on their rank list to fill? Expect them to be the worst about it.

So OldPsychDoc:

How likely is a "rankable" applicant to be appropriated to matching status (by program) if he/she lets you know that they plan to rank you #1?

Im not sure this question has been (directly) asked before. Excuse me, if so.

If you're not someone they ALREADY want to "rank to match" (e.g. rank # <= # spots in match) you're not likely to rise to that status just by sending us that notice.

Thanks for the love, but we still won't take it as a guarantee you won't change your mind 2 minutes before the certification deadline. And you shouldn't take it as a promise from us, either.

One program wrote to me the day after I interviewed there, which was three months ago and it was a personal non-template email. Last week I received an email from a different program, and it seemed a little like a template. Yesterday, I received an email from another program - basically re-expressing their interest in my candidacy which sounded authentic. Today, another program sent me a highly personalized email and concluded by saying they intend to rank me very high - the personalized nature of the email speaks of their philosophy of fostering a family feel among residents. It was genuine, and a natural progression from the interview. Not phony at all. Reaffirms the impression I have that they emphasize morale. So I have no reservations about these kind of emails overall. (For those wondering, these were all California programs.)

When do programs generally finalize their lists?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had a program call me multiple times (at least 4, I believe). I'm not particularly digging the added attention.

I've had a program call me multiple times (at least 4, I believe). I'm not particularly digging the added attention.

Isn't funny that at a time you thought you would be?

Four calls is kinda crazy. Would make me uncomfortable too. Maybe time to withdraw from that program if you're not planning on going there? Or is it a real contender?

I don't necessarily agree. I've gotten a number of even written guarantees from programs (even from that "extremely competitive" (<- hah) list) that say I am guaranteed a spot BUT they also say that they are just telling me that and I have no obligation to call back and let them know how I feel. I mean, I guess a couple of the verbal ones could go back on that, but I highly doubt it with literal guarantees and think it cannot happen for written ones...

I think some want you to know that you're guaranteed a spot so that you're more likely to move them up, maybe? Not saying that I like the approach necessarily, but just that it doesn't seem to all be about being nosey...

(please don't take this as anything other than adding data about my situation, i am not intending to use it as a spot to highlight my position...!)

I don't necessarily agree. I've gotten a number of even written guarantees from programs (even from that "extremely competitive" (<- hah) list) that say I am guaranteed a spot BUT they also say that they are just telling me that and I have no obligation to call back and let them know how I feel. I mean, I guess a couple of the verbal ones could go back on that, but I highly doubt it with literal guarantees and think it cannot happen for written ones...

I had heard a couple of my friends applying in other specialties say they had gotten feedback guaranteeing spots, but I was hoping psych simply wasn't doing that...

Now, I'm really worried that I haven't heard anything approaching a guarantee :scared:

I had heard a couple of my friends applying in other specialties say they had gotten feedback guaranteeing spots, but I was hoping psych simply wasn't doing that...

Now, I'm really worried that I haven't heard anything approaching a guarantee :scared:

I definitely don't want my post to have that effect either. As you know, psych is a place where lots of people get top choices and nearly everyone ends up happy where they land. I wouldn't worry about not hearing it, for sure! {smile}

At the risk of revealing too much about my top secret list, has anyone received any love letters or phone calls from Pittsburgh?

At the risk of revealing too much about my top secret list, has anyone received any love letters or phone calls from Pittsburgh?

Well I hope they like me but it could be interpreted otherwise! Something about if I needed help with making decisions etc. but no 'we love you' - then again the PD is British they don't go in for that sort of thing!

Well I hope they like me but it could be interpreted otherwise! Something about if I needed help with making decisions etc. but no 'we love you' - then again the PD is British they don't go in for that sort of thing!

Not a good sign for me then, but thanks for the reply...

Four calls is kinda crazy. Would make me uncomfortable too. Maybe time to withdraw from that program if you're not planning on going there? Or is it a real contender?

No not a contender. I haven't withdrawn though due to geographical and person ties to the area. They have since stopped calling, however.

To me, it seems desperate for programs to send out love letters. Strong programs know they are strong and don't need to grovel (or reverse grovel I guess) to attempt to move up applicants rank lists. That's my take on it at least.

They sent me a post interview follow up a few days after the interview, saying nice things and offering to contact them with questions. That is all though.

To me, it seems desperate for programs to send out love letters. Strong programs know they are strong and don't need to grovel (or reverse grovel I guess) to attempt to move up applicants rank lists. That's my take on it at least.

Not so sure it's desperate as some of the strongest programs will call and/or write. A little bit of flattery never hurts.

re: pittsburgh, they sent me an email after my interview but nothing recently.

I got an email from the PD in response to my thank you note after the interview, but I haven't heard anything recently.

Actually, I sent an update a month or two after my interview, and I never got a reply.

I've been trying to convince myself ever since that the lack of response means nothing about where or if I'm going to appear on the rank list.:eek:

Seems like a lot of people really liked Pittsburgh. No real surprise though, WPIC hospital is amazing (plus all the other things they have going for them of course). Or was it just that amazing Pre interview dinner?

I've been trying to convince myself ever since that the lack of response means nothing about where or if I'm going to appear on the rank list.:eek:

Many people on SDN are convinced that letters of interest and phone calls from program directors (to applicants) are a sure sign of malicious intent designed to make applicants rank that program higher and burn them in the process.

You (and other people on SDN) are trying to convince yourself that no letter of interest and/or phone call from a program director means nothing.

When it comes to SDN, program directors just can't win, can they?

Strong programs know they are strong and don't need to grovel (or reverse grovel I guess) to attempt to move up applicants rank lists. That's my take on it at least.

Among the programs I interviewed at, the trend is exactly the opposite (i.e. the most competitive programs are calling/guaranteeing/emailing the most).

Among the programs I interviewed at, the trend is exactly the opposite (i.e. the most competitive programs are calling/guaranteeing/emailing the most).

:thumbup: they are all competing for the same pool of applicants, interview fewer candidates than other program, are the most invested in getting who they want, and have the most to lose if they don't fill

Many people on SDN are convinced that letters of interest and phone calls from program directors (to applicants) are a sure sign of malicious intent designed to make applicants rank that program higher and burn them in the process.

You (and other people on SDN) are trying to convince yourself that no letter of interest and/or phone call from a program director means nothing.

When it comes to SDN, program directors just can't win, can they?

Well, if you get love letters, there are two possibilities (at least according to SDN lore): the program really wants you and is being honest about their feelings OR the program wants to make sure they fill by encouraging applicants to rank the program higher.

Either way, the love letters mean the program plans to rank you somehwere on its list. So, it seems natural that people are concerned when others are receiving love letters while it's radio silence for them....

:thumbup: they are all competing for the same pool of applicants, interview fewer candidates than other program, are the most invested in getting who they want, and have the most to lose if they don't fill

:thumbup: I expect to see some of those really good programs go unfilled. My home program is apparently a really good one and the asscPD is wondering if they've interviewed enough applicants...it will be interesting nonetheless....

Agree to disagree then.

Why are they the most invested in getting who they want? Non-Ivy league programs don't care who matches into there programs? Come on. Although, I do agree they have more to lose if they don't fill. Imagine the hit to the ego of the pretentious if their illustrious program had to scramble (even if they did only interviewed 40 candidates for there dozen spots).

Has anyone received the "package" from U of Mich this year?
I remember reading about the cup and the letter from the PD a couple years back.
This year I only received an email from the PD and I was a little disheartened haha (most likely it will be my #1 so I was kinda hoping for the cup)

Last edited:
Has anyone received the "package" from U of Mich this year?
I remember reading about the cup and the letter from the PD a couple years back.
This year I only received an email from the PD and I was a little disheartened haha (most likely it will be my #1 so I was kinda hoping for the cup)

No package for me either....

Threads from years past also discuss getting an email from University of Washington stating "You will be ranked X"....

Maybe some of these things change from year to year...

If you haven't already not too late to send out your love letter - my spies tell me they have not met to finalize the rank list yet.

If you haven't already not too late to send out your love letter - my spies tell me they have not met to finalize the rank list yet.
Thanks, Splik.... Sounds like I'm not in the running if I didn't get any spring love notes, but I'll hope for the best....

don't be pessimistic! one of my top choices has not responded to my love letter and has offered three pre-matches. I still haven't given up. You never know

I'm experiencing the same trend and have also heard this confirmed by 2 other people.

Just curious?. . Has anyone heard anything back from Mayo's program regarding where they stand? I'm incredibly excited about the program. I've had some contact with them telling me where I stand, and I wonder if they just contact everyone they interview and plan to rank highly?