HELP!!!!! KCUMB vs LMU-DCOM!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr2Be2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
II have never had such a hard time making a decision in my entire life!! Please let me know what you guys think about Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences as well as Lincoln Memorial University Debusk College of Osteopathic Medicine. Thank you for ANY insight!!

Members don't see this ad.

I did not apply, interview, or get accepted to LMU, but I did @ kcumb. I thought that school was pretty awesome in many aspects especially curriculum :thumbup:

KCUMB. LMU is a great school, but KCUMB has been around 100 years so it is very established and definitely considered one of the top. Plus the curriculum looks awesome. But I didn't apply to LMU either so my opinion sucks.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I did not interview at KCUMB but I am going to LMU-DCOM (starting in July). I will tell you why I love DCOM.

It has a very "family" feel in addition to the university feel of the campus. I just love the atmosphere. I was impressed with the technology, but when it comes down to it, what really matters is how you get set up for residency. Despite being VERY new DCOM has some impressive match results. Including the fact that a very reputable hospital created 3 res spots in ortho ex nihilo. Just said ok, we can give you guys some spots for ortho because you're cool. This school is very well connected, and the teachers/ faculty will bend over backwards to help you. I heard from one premed who's father is a radiologist at a teaching hospital and he did not realize that DOs are doctors until DCOM students came through on rotations. Now he is forcing his son to apply there, just because he was so impressed with the quality of student that DCOM is putting out. I had acceptances to other schools that are far more established (LECOM-E, AZCOM) and another that's not fantastic, but I chose DCOM because I loved it there and loved what I heard and was impressed with what they've done in such a short time.

I don't know much about KCUMB, but I have a friend who is an OMS-I there and he loves it. It is better established and I hear they have some pretty progressive curriculum out there. I can't say anything about it personally, but I love DCOM. Hope this helps and maybe I'll see you in the fall!

So I did not interview at KCUMB but I am going to LMU-DCOM (starting in July). I will tell you why I love DCOM.

It has a very "family" feel in addition to the university feel of the campus. I just love the atmosphere. I was impressed with the technology, but when it comes down to it, what really matters is how you get set up for residency. Despite being VERY new DCOM has some impressive match results. Including the fact that a very reputable hospital created 3 res spots in ortho ex nihilo. Just said ok, we can give you guys some spots for ortho because you're cool. This school is very well connected, and the teachers/ faculty will bend over backwards to help you. I heard from one premed who's father is a radiologist at a teaching hospital and he did not realize that DOs are doctors until DCOM students came through on rotations. Now he is forcing his son to apply there, just because he was so impressed with the quality of student that DCOM is putting out. I had acceptances to other schools that are far more established (LECOM-E, AZCOM) and another that's not fantastic, but I chose DCOM because I loved it there and loved what I heard and was impressed with what they've done in such a short time.

I don't know much about KCUMB, but I have a friend who is an OMS-I there and he loves it. It is better established and I hear they have some pretty progressive curriculum out there. I can't say anything about it personally, but I love DCOM. Hope this helps and maybe I'll see you in the fall!

Hahaha wow, ok well apparently my story has gotten around. I just want to correct a few things...it wasn't that my dad didn't "realize" DOs were doctors...he had just never worked with any and therefore had the "stereotype" in his head that a lot of older MDs have concerning DOs. But, when he started as a preceptor for DCOM he was impressed, and his opinion of the profession changed. He also definitely did not force me to apply....just wanted to set the record straight on that one...I'm also a girl...haha:thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Hahaha wow, ok well apparently my story has gotten around. I just want to correct a few things...it wasn't that my dad didn't "realize" DOs were doctors...he had just never worked with any and therefore had the "stereotype" in his head that a lot of older MDs have concerning DOs. But, when he started as a preceptor for DCOM he was impressed, and his opinion of the profession changed. He also definitely did not force me to apply....just wanted to set the record straight on that one...I'm also a girl...haha:thumbup:

Wow, so apparently that was not you who posted that story on some thread I saw a while back. Sorry to everyone for perpetuating bad info! Anyway, I'm totally stoked for class to start and congratulations to everyone for getting accepted! Medicine rocks!

Wow, so apparently that was not you who posted that story on some thread I saw a while back. Sorry to everyone for perpetuating bad info! Anyway, I'm totally stoked for class to start and congratulations to everyone for getting accepted! Medicine rocks!

Oh! I'm sorry, I wasn't mad or anything, just didn't want any miscommunication...it was mostly right though! haha.

Anyway, to answer your question....obviously I'm at DCOM so I'm probably biased, but I interviewed at KCUMB and DCOM last year and had a MUCH better experience at DCOM. I know the interview experience doesn't equate to a better school, but you have to go where you feel like you would be happiest spending 2 years. When I interviewed at KCUMB I actually had a really horrible experience...I felt like I was basically attacked by my interviewer in terms of why my gpa and MCAT were so low (I had a 3.6cum and a 26 MCAT which is pretty much average...or slightly below for KCUMB). I tried to answer his questions as best I could, but he kept asking the same question over and over again in different ways. Obviously I wasn't giving him the answer he wanted, but I didn't know what else to say except for the truth. Up until that point (the actual interview was at the end of the day) I absolutely loved the school and curriculum...but I couldn't get over the actual interview experience. I understand the "bad cop" routine, where they put some heat on you to see how you respond, but I am a firm believer in the notion that you are interviewing them as a school as much as they are interviewing you, and having such a hostile interview really put a bad taste in my mouth...I think tells you a lot about what the school values.

My DCOM interview was much more laid back, they really wanted to know about me...to see if I was a fit for the school. I know the actual interview shouldn't have a huge impact on your decision, but for me, it was really important for me to feel like I was a part of something. I also just felt like the faculty and staff genuinely cared about all of their students (which they do), and I just felt like that was the right environment for me.

Ultimately, we can spout off our own stories of how we chose....or what the statistics are coming from either school, but you are going to have to figure out what you want out of the school you choose, and decide which fits your personal needs best. It's hard for us to tell you that :).

Good luck with your decision!

Oh! I'm sorry, I wasn't mad or anything, just didn't want any miscommunication...it was mostly right though! haha.

Anyway, to answer your question....obviously I'm at DCOM so I'm probably biased, but I interviewed at KCUMB and DCOM last year and had a MUCH better experience at DCOM. I know the interview experience doesn't equate to a better school, but you have to go where you feel like you would be happiest spending 2 years. When I interviewed at KCUMB I actually had a really horrible experience...I felt like I was basically attacked by my interviewer in terms of why my gpa and MCAT were so low (I had a 3.6cum and a 26 MCAT which is pretty much average...or slightly below for KCUMB). I tried to answer his questions as best I could, but he kept asking the same question over and over again in different ways. Obviously I wasn't giving him the answer he wanted, but I didn't know what else to say except for the truth. Up until that point (the actual interview was at the end of the day) I absolutely loved the school and curriculum...but I couldn't get over the actual interview experience. I understand the "bad cop" routine, where they put some heat on you to see how you respond, but I am a firm believer in the notion that you are interviewing them as a school as much as they are interviewing you, and having such a hostile interview really put a bad taste in my mouth...I think tells you a lot about what the school values.

My DCOM interview was much more laid back, they really wanted to know about me...to see if I was a fit for the school. I know the actual interview shouldn't have a huge impact on your decision, but for me, it was really important for me to feel like I was a part of something. I also just felt like the faculty and staff genuinely cared about all of their students (which they do), and I just felt like that was the right environment for me.

Ultimately, we can spout off our own stories of how we chose....or what the statistics are coming from either school, but you are going to have to figure out what you want out of the school you choose, and decide which fits your personal needs best. It's hard for us to tell you that :).

Good luck with your decision!

Omg my mcat is lower than yours (24) and they did not say a thing about it. I guess it depends on who is your interviewer. I'm sorry you had a crappy experience.:(

I interviewed at both and will be attending KCUMB. I haven't heard back from LMU yet but I'll decline the acceptance if I do get in.

Both are really nice schools, though I personally like KCUMB better. I really like the systems based curriculum at KCUMB and feel like they stress clinical skills from day one. I think the biggest selling point for me was their clinical rotation system which will hopefully allow most of us to do 3rd and 4th year at hospitals close to home or near where we hope to do our residency. I also really liked Kansas City, it has great food, fun night life, etc.

Honestly I think alot of it is your personal preference, do you want to live out in the country or in a city? Do you want to do rotations in the South or be able to go anywhere in the US? Do you want to go to a school with rural medicine focus? Are you interested in doing research?

Hi. .my son is in the class of 2016 at LMUDCOM and he said he's thrilled. He had a blind interview, which went well, and he's not looking back. Good luck with your decision.

Hello, another DCOM student here. I think other students and previous reviews have done a pretty good job at describing that atmosphere here, but I wanted to just answer a few things:

I really like the systems based curriculum at KCUMB and feel like they stress clinical skills from day one....

Our curriculum is here essentially systems based as well. They've recently mixed it up just slightly so that the systems match with the other classes we are taking (IE histology of the heart happens at the same time as pharmacology of the heart which happens at the same time as physiology of the heart). We do pathology of the systems in 2nd year. I think the system makes sense.

I'm not sure what KCUMB does as far as "stressing clinical skills" early on, but DCOM is pretty strong in that department as well. We start our doctoring (clinical skills) class in 1st semester, and are doing OSCE examinations within a month or two. We are using the simulation labs right now in 2nd semester. I think "early clinical skills" is a bit of an overrated concept, but that said DCOM does a very good job with getting students thinking clinically right off the bat.

I think the biggest selling point for me was their clinical rotation system which will hopefully allow most of us to do 3rd and 4th year at hospitals close to home or near where we hope to do our residency.

DCOM has a similar system. There are "core" rotations that must be done within the region, but that only includes 6 months of 3rd year and 4 or 5 months (can't remember which exactly) of 4th year. The rest of the time, you can do elective and selective rotations all over the country. One of the reasons I came to DCOM is because I will have the option to do some of my rotations close to home.

I also really liked Kansas City, it has great food, fun night life, etc.

Can't argue with you there. Harrogate is pretty small. Knoxville isn't too far away though, and to be honest I'm not finding tons of time for night life anyways.

Do you want to do rotations in the South or be able to go anywhere in the US?

Answered above. DCOM students go all over the country for their rotations.

Do you want to go to a school with rural medicine focus? Are you interested in doing research?

I'm interested in (and will practice in) an urban setting. I think there is something I can learn from this environment, but I in no way feel pigeonholed into practicing in a rural area. In fact, this is something I actually discussed in the interview! I understand DCOM has a stated "rural focus," but I would caution applications in mixing up a schools so-called mission and what options are actually available to it's students. I am also lined up for two research projects this summer, so there are plenty of opportunities in that arena as well.

I know it's really difficult to choose a school. Applicants seem to get such a narrow view of what a school is really like from statistics and the interview day, and it is easy to confuse what is real and what isn't. I thought DCOM did an especially good job of the interview day with the pizza night, presentations, and student tours, but even still there is sometimes confusion afterwards. Hopefully this helps to clear up some confusion and makes things a little bit easier for a few folks.

Last edited:
Are you interested in doing research?

DCOM definitely doesn't have alot of research but there is a brand new building opening up this summer for research. I personally know that we just opened a clinical metabolomics unit that I have already talked to someone about doing research in. So there aren't as many options as established schools, but there are options and I expect them to expand in the near future.

I am in the middle of my third year at KCUMB. I did not interview or know anything about DCOM. As far as our first two years go, it is all systems based. Year 1 is Foundations of medicine (mix of general pathology, micro, pharm, anatomy terms, IMMUNOLOGY, and some others), Musculoskeletal, Cardiopulmonary I, Cardiopulmonary II, Gastrointestinal, and Renal. Year 2 is Neuroanatomy I, Neuroanatomy II, Skin Blood and Lymph, Endocrine and Reproductive. Anatomy lab runs from MS-Neuro I with the MS and neuro sections the most intense by far. OMM lab is every Tuesday for 2 hours. Each section is basically 5 weeks of lecture then 1 week of finals (OMM, Path and Section final.) Right now they have a midterm at the end of the third week of each section as well. Biochem and micro labs are randomly mixed in. The early clinical stuff is put into some OMM labs in order to learn how to use steth, take BP, do a proper physical exam. There are also communication skills mixed in where you are taught how to interview and you get to interview "actors" that are playing a set patient role. The first 2 years are awesome, note packets each week, lectures posted online with .mp3 as well as a narrated powerpoint. There are opportunities to do research in the summer via a summer fellowship, its competitive and subjects are limited (mostly anatomy, biochem, and pharm). There is also a year long research fellowship in anatomy and OMM that are pretty strong programs.

The 3rd an 4th year half of the students stay in KC for a "core" site. Others go all over for their core site. Some are better than others, some preceptors are better than others. I think this is common for schools that are similar. University schools with their very own hospital (e.g. KU) probably have a much more structured and consistent preceptorship. That said, we still match students in competitive residencies each year. I think so far I have seen at least 4 match into ortho, many pre-match into GS, on into ophthalmology, two ENT, and others. Last year we had a guy match into KU plastic and reconstruction (he did the anatomy fellowship). I think another guy has a good shot matching Cleveland Clinic ortho coming up.

But this is only one side, I have no idea about DCOM but I think that KCUMB has a good reputation. If you or anyone else has questions about the school feel free to PM me.

While I cannot speak for KCUMB, I am currently a 4th year student at DCOM. I found out Monday that I matched into EM in the ACGME match and I'll find out tomorrow where. Part of the reason for this is definitely due to my hard work, work ethic, attitude, personality, etc. But another huge part is my education and my clinical skills. DCOM will work extremely hard at making sure you will rock out your third and fourth year rotations. They have also made some recent changes to the first year curriculum to include basic physiology as a much larger class in the first year, and it will absolutely be beneficial for both systems during the second year and for boards.

I can also second the "family atmosphere" feeling that is very prevalent here. It's a relaxed atmosphere set in the mountains where you can walk out of your back door to hike, mountain bike, cycle, run, whatever on study breaks. The faculty know us all by name, and they are readily available when they are on campus. Doors are kept mainly open here, and every faculty member has an awesome open door policy.

I have some complaints, but from speaking with other students, those sort of complaints are just typical for med school anywhere. I am satisfied with my decision to go to DCOM, and I've had some absolutely amazing experiences during 3rd/4th year that I don't think would have been available to me at other schools. If anyone has specific questions, feel free to PM me.

By the way - lower middle half class rank, above average and average COMLEX 1/2, Low and low average USMLE Step 1/2. Never failed a class, never failed a rotation, and I've just busted my butt in rotations to make up for some lack luster test taking skills. It paid off and tomorrow I'll be able to comment more on that when the match results come out.

So all of you average pre-meds and med students keep your head up! It IS possible to do what you want with enough hard work, persistance and motivation/dedication.

I am also having to make this decision between these two schools. My main priority is to be able to stay in the same location all 4 years due to family and having quality rotations all in that location. My interests are in internal medicine/Peds and maybe GS/pediatric surgery. However, I'm an outdoorsy person and I'm in love with the beauty of Harrogate, TN and LMUDCOM's campus but I can't simple turn down a great curriculum and reputation in KCUMB. Please help!