Hem/Onc fellowship application thread 2010-2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats on getting the interview. Are you a resident at dartmouth?

Members don't see this ad.

I have been given the same impression about december 1 being the perfect date to apply by. But I think its ridiculous as the programs would go for the better candidates than someone applying on december 1. Having said that I would still try to apply as soon as I can.

Thanks for the replies. Hope to finalize my app by this week end.
Congrats to BirthdayParty for the first IV in the forum :)

I only got some general "application received" replies.

Members don't see this ad :)
When should we start hearing from programs???

I hate the wait...it is the worst part of the process...roughly how many programs did you guys apply to?

I hate the wait...it is the worst part of the process...roughly how many programs did you guys apply to?

Applied to 10 programs...have only heard from one so far (invite from Columbia)...:) Hoping to hear more soon but I know some programs don't send out invites until after the holidays

I got a rejection from Chapel Hill today too. But invites from Eastern Carolina and Univ Vermont. I think it's early. I heard most don't invite until after the holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
congratulations birthday party
anything new? guys

I haven't got a single iv so far. I am beginning to get worried now. Endocrine, pulm and nephrology have already got so many ivs. How is it going for all of you on the forum?

Same as everyone , 0 interviews , 0 rejections ( not counting one that I knew through an " insider" was going to be a rejection). The wait is a killer...I need to find something to keep me busy till they start sending out stuff..I am thinking PS3 move !:)

Same as everyone , 0 interviews , 0 rejections ( not counting one that I knew through an " insider" was going to be a rejection). The wait is a killer...I need to find something to keep me busy till they start sending out stuff..I am thinking PS3 move !:)

Everybody chill. My program hasn't even downloaded apps yet. This is a great conversation to have in April.

Hi Folks,

I would really appreciate if you know which all programs really require 4 Letters to count application as complete...

One of my Professor is yet to write me a letter. He is just too busy. I do not want him to annoy by repeatedly reminding and also do not have any other professor to fill up the gap of one LOR I need quickly...

Many programs do not have real mention on their web sites as to how many letters they require. so any thoughts I would appreciate.

Thanks.

Is it just me or is it abnormally quiet compared to the past few years?? 1 rej, no IVs yet.

It's quite slow on this side as well. I am just sitting and waiting to hear from programs ( I guess not hearing anything is still better than rejections). I had a question for all of you: I have a friend who is also applying and she is very stressed out about her situation. She did relatively well on step1 and step2, but stumbled on step3 (failed by 2 points) but passed on the second try. She has very very good recommendation letters and extensive research with publications. Do you guys think it will hurt her chances?

Dear all,

No response yet from any of the programs.

Step 1 99 step 2 93 and step 3 82
IMG residency from middle tier university program
2 years of bench work in hematology and inflammatory pathway
3 publications one first author and 2 second author
Graduated from residency ini 2006
2 years of Hospitalist experience
No visa issues.

Any comments on why this forum is so quite?
Thanks

Silence is golden
But not for this forum
Hope this ends
Sooner than later:p

Baylor college of medicine.
No rejection yet.

Dear all,

No response yet from any of the programs.

Step 1 99 step 2 93 and step 3 82
IMG residency from middle tier university program
2 years of bench work in hematology and inflammatory pathway
3 publications one first author and 2 second author
Graduated from residency ini 2006
2 years of Hospitalist experience
No visa issues.

Any comments on why this forum is so quite?
Thanks

Now would be a great time to read up on selection bias and its effect on clinical trials and your sanity.

My program has barely made a dent in the pile of apps we got and have offered no interviews yet.

Baylor here too....
I am new to this forum, IMG with GC, applying to heme/onc;

Have you called? I was on night float last night. Just woke up and got that email, too late to call today. What are the dates for interview? Thanks.

Baylor here too....
I am new to this forum, IMG with GC, applying to heme/onc;

have not heard from Baylor or any other program! Do programs send all the interviews in one day or on rolling basis ?

have not heard from Baylor or any other program! Do programs send all the interviews in one day or on rolling basis ?

Yes.

Most programs will send them in batches. Some on a rolling basis. Nearly all will send more invites later in the season after the first round of offers have been accepted or not.

I have to agree w/Gutonc and some of the others that have been through this before - most programs dont get through all of the applications until after the holidays and some make it a policy not to even crack the first file until after jan 1...
Do what the program directors/fellowship committee are doing - enjoy the holiday w/whatever distractions you prefer (PS3, apple product, or drinking to excess w/friends and fam you dont get to see enough of)... I say this knowing full well I was in the same frame of mind last year!
Best of luck and happy holidays!

Just wondering if any body had any idea about the MD Anderson program in Orlando? Is it a comprehensive cancer care center? How many spots etc?
Have not applied there but thinking of applying due to geographical preference (spouse's potential job there). Thoughts appreciated.

Invite from Baylor in Dallas.

Congrats Skyfire, I am sure you have impressive stats..would you care to share ?. I am also getting nothing but dead silence! The only progress I made is getting to the Champions cup on Play station move archery game ...even playing that much video games is not making a dent in my stress levels!

congrats mab81.. Do you mind sharing your credentials....

Just found this thread. Interview at BIDMC last week

Wishing you all a very happy & prosperous new year !!!

may we all match to the program of our choice !!!

tufts by email

Got invite from Tufts by both snail mail and email.. this was before the holidays.

Happy New Year and Good luck guys... Its after the holidays now, IV should pick up as programs start sending out invitations...

So far all I got was an invite from ECU and the rest is unknown.

I have been scrolling through the threads from last year to gauze about the interview calls and people's credentials/application. Unfortunately I did not get a very clear idea about the trend and expectations. Therefore, lets create a thread that would include basic information about applicants and their interview calls. This might not help us this year but might be useful for applicants next year and so on.

I am beginning the thread with my credentials

1. Current Residency Program: University-based
2. Board Scores: 95/85/CS passed/Step 3 not taken yet
3. Research & Publications: extensive clinical and basic science; 5 publications (including 2 during residency)
4. Good LoRs
5. Applied to 70 programs; 1 rejection (UNC Chapel Hill)

Hope you all will contribute !!!