Heme/Onc application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Members don't see this ad :)
anyone hear from roger williams medical center in RI? thanks

anyone hear from university of washington?

Thank you for submitting your application to our program through ERAS. This
email is to confirm receipt of your application only; NO INVITATIONS TO
INTERVIEW HAVE BEEN EXTENDED YET (see below timeline).

Here is our timeline for screening/interviewing:

>December 31, 2008 - application deadline
>Jan 2-16, 2009 - fellowship screening committee reviews complete application
only
>Jan 19, 2009 - invitations to applicants to interview are issued
>Jan 20-Jan 30, 2009 - interview dates finalized with candidates
> Interviews Feb through early April (see dates below)

2009 Interview Dates
(FYI only at this point; NO invitations to interview have been issued yet):
Day 1: Feb 20 (Fri)
Day 2: Mar 6 (Fri)
Day 3: Mar 24 (Tue)
Day 4: Mar 27 (Fri)
Day 5: Mar 31 (Tue)
Day 6: Apr 3 (Fri)

I will notify you when your application is complete and has been forwarded to
the screening committee.

Thank you for considering us for your fellowship training. The University of
Washington/Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center fellowship program provides
a first-class clinical and research training environment, Seattle is a
fantastic city, and our fellows are TERRIFIC!

All the best for happy, safe and warm holidays!

Lisa Anderson
Hematology-Oncology Fellowship Coordinator

I applied Dec 1st but my PD letter still needs to be uploaded to the ERAS postoffice. So far all I have received is acknowledgement of receipt by USC, Emory, the Hutch and rejection from Dana Farber. Hopefully we´ll all start getting interviews in the next 2-4 weeks.
Good luck to everyone!

My stats:
Programs applied to: 9
Interviews granted: zero

new to the thread, here's what I got:

interview from columbia (email)
interview from NIH (snail mail, recieved today)

that's it so far.

good luck to everyone.

Beth Israel in Boston by email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just go interview from NIH by snail mail. Im so happy!!!!!

also interview by NIH by snailmail - somewhat surprising :rolleyes:...

Last edited:
is that an interview, or rejection??

Sorry...interview.
Weird though, I can't find anything about their faculty or fellows on the website, unless I'm looking at the wrong place.

also interview by NIH by snailmail - somewhat surprising, but from this thread, it seems like everyone got an NIH interview :rolleyes:...

Does it say til when you have time to reply? I'm out of US and won't be back til Jan 7 (I have no way of checking my snail mailbox! so I don't know even if I have got an IV or rej)

ps) why they use snail mail when email or phone is much better??

get someone to check mail for you? doesnt say when to reply by, although you're supposed to reply by Fax or email.

Thanks Lithoman,
I've sent an email and they responded that they have sent invitation letter Dec 15. So count me in ...
So far
2 IVs: Boston University and NIH
1 Rej: BI (is this as same as DFCI? their website is not clear!)

Thanks Lithoman,
I've sent an email and they responded that they have sent invitation letter Dec 15. So count me in ...
So far
2 IVs: Boston University and NIH
1 Rej: BI (is this as same as DFCI? their website is not clear!)

BI is not the same as DFCI. as a sidenote, BID residents do rotate through DFCI for 1-2 months of heme/onc.

Hey , I am new to the forum.
Wish me luck.

But unfortunately got my first rej
from Temple/Fox chase

just got an interview to ucsf. does anyone know anything about their program?

Hi! It is a great place to share experience. I got one rejection from DFCI.
My last recommendation letter is just available in postoffice for download. I don't know if it really affects my application. Just anxious of waiting for invitations. :confused:

So for all of you gettin interviews congrats. Could you guys please list some stats( AMG vs IMG, pubs, strengh of residency program, ect.) so maybe for us that are applying next year we can gauge how many programs to apply, and which ones. Could possibly save a few dollars....THANKS

Chief

just got an interview to ucsf. does anyone know anything about their program?

Oh man...I loved that place. If it didn't have the lowest salary and highest COL of any program I interviewed at, I would have been there in a heartbeat. Great clinical and research opportunities. Relatively new Cancer Center. Broad experience w/ SFGH, VA and UCSF hospitals.

It's got downsides of course including that if you want to be there as staff, more than one faculty member told me to train elsewhere and then try to get a job there after fellowship. The staff are hyper-specialized b/c there are so damn many of them and it may be difficult to find a niche if you do wind up staying on as faculty. The 3 campuses make it hard to live "close to the hospital" but there's a shuttle that connects all of their sites.

I honestly had a hard time not ranking it #1 and when I was in SF for ASH a couple of weeks ago it pained me again to think about missing out on that program and the city. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy where I am (the next program north of UCSF) but that would have been a nice place to be.

Congrats on the interview.

Friends, Congratulations to those who have fellowship IV calls!
Does any one have any information on NIH Hem or Hem/Onc fellowship?
I am looking for an academic career and want a fellowship at an intellectually challenging environment and also at a place that can train me in Lab techniques. The website at NIH seems to be promising all this. I wonder if its actually true. Where will you rank NIH fellowship with other programs like Harvard/Stanford in terms of helping you get an academic position down the line
Thank you

Friends, Congratulations to those who have fellowship IV calls!
Does any one have any information on NIH Hem or Hem/Onc fellowship?
I am looking for an academic career and want a fellowship at an intellectually challenging environment and also at a place that can train me in Lab techniques. The website at NIH seems to be promising all this. I wonder if its actually true. Where will you rank NIH fellowship with other programs like Harvard/Stanford in terms of helping you get an academic position down the line
Thank you

NIH fellowship is a definite desirable place if you are looking for an acdemic career and training in lab techniques. For ranking list, it is your own choice because you may need think about the geography, family, and other issues.

Thank you erythrocyte. I think I am convinced that NIH is committed to train people become self sufficient investigators. And I have heard that they have the best resources. I would certainly try for that. The question that remains unanswered is its impact on ones future compared to places like Harvard or stanford
thank you

Hi medonc09, congratulations!! please provide your academic profile(publications/research/program).
regards
bossenton

new to the thread, here's what I got:

interview from columbia (email)
interview from NIH (snail mail, recieved today)

that's it so far.

good luck to everyone.
Hi letsdomegood, congratulations for the IV
pls provide your credentials(scores/publications/program). thank you

so... given that the holidays are upon us, should we even bother to hope for interview invitations until after Jan 1st?

Wish every one all the best in their search.
IVs : NIH , USC.
Rej : DFCI

Interview from USC by email yesterday! Picked my date already!:thumbup:
Best of luck to everyone and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

Does anyone know how many oncology only positions and how many combined hem/onc positions at NCI? Thanks and happy holidays.

Hello everybody,
Just got my first IV too... NCI... I have the same question... Hem/Onc or only Onc? Truly, my heart is in Onc, but would not hurt to be double board certified. Do you know which option is more competitive?
Thank you and happy holidays,
I am so happy!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
One inv from NIH.
They have 3-4 spots in Hematology (NHLBI) and 10 spots in Oncology (NCI). You can apply for combined Hema-Onco there too.

Columbia and NIH interview so far. Rjctn from DFCI and BI

Anybody has more information about the USC program?

Hi guys,
I am also trying to get some inforamtion about the NCI and USC. More so about USC.

Hello everybody,
Just got my first IV too... NCI... I have the same question... Hem/Onc or only Onc? Truly, my heart is in Onc, but would not hurt to be double board certified. Do you know which option is more competitive?
Thank you and happy holidays,
I am so happy!

As someone in an Onc only fellowship (research pathway), I would say that if you're certain (or as certain as you can be at this point in your career) that you want a career in academia or pharma/biotech then Onc-only is fine. If there's a chance you'll be heading down the PP route, the extra Heme training will improve your marketability in the future.

Keep in mind that you probably won't be saving any training time by doing Onc-only and going to academics over H/O and going to PP. If you're planning an academic career, 1y of research will NOT be enough to get you a faculty gig. You may get an adjunct/super-fellow spot for a couple of years. It may get you out of the call pool but this will not be a tenure track appointment.

Interview by E-mail today: St. Vincent's Comprehensive Cancer Center, NYC.

Good luck to everyone.

St Vincent's email invite as well. No other rejections/interviews to date.

Invitation to Interview at St. Vincent's Comprehensive Cancer Center in New York by email today :D

Hi letsdomegood, congratulations for the IV
pls provide your credentials(scores/publications/program). thank you

my stats:
99 x 3 on the steps, good but not "top tier" academic residency program, no publications to date but decent amount of research experience and hopefully 1-2 publications at least submitted by the time of IV's, interested in academic oncology.

also, didn't see anyone else mention it:
IV offer from temple/Fox chase via email sent prior to the holidays.

so maybe this is not a question for this thread but I was looking at heme/onc job offers for potential between 500-700 k , is this even real? or widely seen?

Status
Not open for further replies.