How Being a Doctor Became the Most Miserable Profession

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You already posted this dumb crap on some other thread. You're taking what he said out of context. He's staying facts, not trying to say this is what the providers prefer.

Yeah, video of him actually saying this on national television is "out-of-context". After all we all know how Surgery-hungry surgeons are (guess what they're not, esp. as it affects their morbidity/mortality numbers). But please tell us what he meant, since you know him so well. After all he's stating "facts". You do know that Surgeons don't get paid $30,000 from Medicare for an amputation, right?

Members don't see this ad.

I said the goal is to rachet down reimbursements made to hospitals and providers, which is achieved through demonizing providers (i.e. New York Times). Emanuel, himself, has a column in the New York Times.

It revved up I think when Obamacare got passed.

The first step in Obamacare was to pass.
Next step is to try to get everyone "insured".
The step after that is to start demonizing those who charge, easily done by the media: NY Times, etc.

Just like clockwork.
Doc-Rivers.gif

You obviously have not read or watched the media recently regarding medical bill charges to providers. You think it's a complete and utter coincidence that all of a sudden, news media have a complete interest in analyzing medical bill charges? Really?

But please. We have the videos of Obama right there, now tell us what the "facts" that Obama was telling us in those videos.

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 users
This photo annoys me. Not because of the Benjamins, but because the damn doctor has a disposable scope around his neck.

LOL. Me too. I'm sure it's from Getty Images. Accurate details aren't it's forte. They were focusing too much on getting the number of dollar bills right.

Yeah, video of him actually saying this on national television is "out-of-context".
I said the goal is to rachet down reimbursements made to hospitals and providers, which is achieved through demonizing providers (i.e. New York Times). Emanuel, himself, has a column in the New York Times.

2dgwf94.jpg

You obviously have not read or watched the media recently regarding medical bill charges to providers. You think it's a complete and utter coincidence that all of a sudden, news media have a complete interest in analyzing medical bill charges? Really?

But please. We have the videos of Obama right there, now tell us what the "facts" that Obama was telling us in those videos.
You're seriously delusional if you think this way. Obviously, if there is a huge change in medical care like the ACA the media will look at reimbursements. How do you jump to the conclusion that it's a sinister plan from the POTUS? C'mon man, you can't on the same thread, tell some premeds to listen to you because you're a physician, and then spout off some BS like this.

Why would they? They now have medical school. It would be college students who would be saying that, the same way medical students say it about their current situation.

Hindsight is a funny thing.

What is pretentious about sharing my experiences thus far? Knowing what I'm getting into makes me informed and calculated, not arrogant nor pretentious.

I think you're taking ignorant to be offensive. Columbus was ignorant of the Americas. That's the form I'm using. Information flows more freely now than it ever has in the past. Lack of information would mean you are ignorant in comparison to current generations.

EDIT: So a common example is how computer illiterate current doctors are, and don't even know how their own iPhones work. I don't work in hardware whatsoever, but I at least understand the components that make something work. That's doesn't make the doctor incompetent or unable to comprehend, just ignorant of it.

You're right. You figured it all out. Good luck.

You're seriously delusional if you think this way. Obviously, if there is a huge change in medical care like the ACA the media will look at reimbursements. How do you jump to the conclusion that it's a sinister plan from the POTUS? C'mon man, you can't on the same thread, tell some premeds to listen to you because you're a physician, and then spout off some BS like this.
I didn't say it's a sinister plan from the POTUS. Nice strawman though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't say it's a sinister plan from the POTUS. Nice strawman though.

The step after that is to start demonizing those who charge, easily done by the media: NY Times, etc.

Just like clockwork.

d5eec5683ba0bdcb8619f401a0345f30.gif

Goodnight.

Is this thread worth reading, or is it just a bunch of idealism and people sticking their heads in the sand?

Reactions: 1 user
It revved up I think when Obamacare got passed.

Just like clockwork.

This is exactly what is going on, is anyone arguing this???

Obamacare was never a final act, it's meant to be the beginning of a larger plan.

And yes, ask any physician who is in the know, there are general efforts right now to decrease physician income across the board, especially the highest paid physicians. I'd say that 70% or more of physicians think this is happening.

This is exactly what is going on, is anyone arguing this???

Obamacare was never a final act, it's meant to be the beginning of a larger plan.

And yes, ask any physician who is in the know, there are general efforts right now to decrease physician income across the board, especially the highest paid physicians. I'd say that 70% or more of physicians think this is happening.
Apparently, @NontradCA , thinks so. His reading comprehension of what I typed led him to think I said that in the Obamacare bill there is a line that says, "start demonizing those who charge, easily done by the media: NY Times, etc." :smack:

Last edited:
Yeah, keep dreaming: http://www.newrepublic.com/article/...l-book-excerpt-end-health-insurance-companies
"When premiums go up, we blame insurance companies; we do not blame the underlying hospitals or physicians who charge high prices that drive up insurance costs" ----> Yup, no demonization there.

Sorry, you didn't get around around to telling us the facts from Obama's statements on video. But please keep posting up animated gifs.

Ok, wait right here "Dermviser", I'll be sure to come back and indulge your ridiculous antics.

Jennifer-Lawrence-Disgusted-Face.gif

Last edited:
I skipped from page 3, hoping that the argument would be through and that something productive was being discussed.

I am disappoint, SDN.

Is this thread worth reading, or is it just a bunch of idealism and people sticking their heads in the sand?
The first page I think is okay, after that, people get really sad. I mean, we have some who call themselves professionals resorting to name calling and child-like fighting. Then they are hypocritically saying premeds need to grow up.

I too got caught up in the thrill of it all, seeing how far I could push these wise ones. I stopped after I ID'ed one of the "professional's" real name (site:forums.studentdoctor.net "USERNAME" "Joined: DATE" pulled all his posts), and saw a complete lack of recent science publications and nothing impressive to speak of (pubmed using real name, confirmed with affiliations). That, and he's close to me, and then it got too real. I had a whole post ready to attack him directly, and... I just deleted it. It's like, what's the point? It just looked so pathetic, and I'm this anonymous person who he is incapable of ID'ing no matter how hard he tries. Tying a face to all this hate, and this is a future-doctor/doctor. He's not a leader in anything, just someone who needs to validate himself.

I realized then the conversation wasn't worth it.

Guys, remember, we're all real people. Keep it civil.

I skipped from page 3, hoping that the argument would be through and that something productive was being discussed.

I am disappoint, SDN.
Apparently there's a "better" version of this thread in the Allo forums. I didn't bother to check. I think this thread is doomed.

The first page I think is okay, after that, people get really sad. I mean, we have some who call themselves professionals resorting to name calling and child-like fighting. Then they are hypocritically saying premeds need to grow up.

I too got caught up in the thrill of it all, seeing how far I could push these wise ones. I stopped after I ID'ed one of the "professional's" real name (site:forums.studentdoctor.net "USERNAME" "Joined: DATE" pulled all his posts), and saw a complete lack of recent science publications and nothing impressive to speak of (pubmed using real name, confirmed with affiliations). That, and he's close to me, and then it got too real. I had a whole post ready to attack him directly, and... I just deleted it. It's like, what's the point? It just looked so pathetic, and I'm this anonymous person who he is incapable of ID'ing no matter how hard he tries. Tying a face to all this hate, and this is a future-doctor/doctor. He's not a leader in anything, just someone who needs to validate himself.

Apparently there's a "better" version of this thread in the Allo forums. I didn't bother to check. I think this thread is doomed.
You got so worked up over SDN that you'd do this? Glad you chilled out.

I don't understand why the demonization of physicians is being disputed here. It is obviously happening and it is even a part of a larger issue here in the states, which is class warfare.

You got so worked up over SDN that you'd do this? Glad you chilled out.
Yep. I figured, "If these people want to get personal, I'll get REAL personal."

Take it from me, man, it's not worth it.

I stopped after I ID'ed one of the "professional's" real name (site:forums.studentdoctor.net "USERNAME" "Joined: DATE" pulled all his posts), and saw a complete lack of recent science publications and nothing impressive to speak of (pubmed using real name, confirmed with affiliations). That, and he's close to me, and then it got too real.

:wow:

**** just got real.

Take it easy guys. I occasionally make the mistake of taking this place seriously, to a fault. Don't be like me.

Real question. If your gif posting isn't meant to be an argument, what's the purpose of them?
Because if you're not arguing on the internet, you might as well give up on life.

See what I did there? It's ironic because I was condescending enough to start an argument on the internet.

Yep. I figured, "If these people want to get personal, I'll get REAL personal."

Take it from me, man, it's not worth it.

That's not professional.

Because if you're not arguing on the internet, you might as well give up on life.

See what I did there? It's ironic because I was condescending enough to start an argument on the internet.

But weren't you asking rhetorically, as in "I'm not arguing by posting gifs" or did I misread that?

I'm sure many of you will be future physicians.

We're all on this road to take great care of our patients. We may not agree on all policies, but we have a common goal.

I hope we can all learn to respect each other and realize that we're all in this together. It does us no good to tear each other down.

There are plenty of people in life and on SDN that I completely disagree with and still aim to treat them respectfully. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and they are right on some issues. But the collegial attitude remains.

Good luck everyone.

I'm sure many of you will be future physicians.

We're all on this road to take great care of our patients. We may not agree on all policies, but we have a common goal.

I hope we can all learn to respect each other and realize that we're all in this together. It does us no good to tear each other down.

There are plenty of people in life and on SDN that I completely disagree with and still aim to treat them respectfully. Who knows, maybe I'm wrong and they are right on some issues. But the collegial attitude remains.

Good luck everyone.

You should think about joining the Union. We are looking for good soldiers like yourself, Dr. Shephard.

Agreed. A thread about "how job x became the most miserable profession" can be applied to all sectors of employment.

This has been one of the most intriguing reads on SDN because it presents two sides of an argument: one by those with aspirations of attending medical school, and another by those who have gained a degree of experience and whose feelings towards medicine have transformed since entering the world of medicine. I think that everyone (myself included) needs to read this as a (yet another) wake up call that what we expect and what we will gain from medicine has more discrepancies than we think.

And f*** Chelsea.

Chelsea Peretti? Definitely would ;)

Btw are you the same guy on the caf?

Try again, genius.

I'm an equal opportunity politician despiser. (Save 1 or 2), I find Obama as detestable as I did Bush W. That being said.

1st Video, he said nothing I can disagree with, prevention through PCPhysicians should be reimbursed higher because it will save money down the road. ( in theory, which is good enough for a politician)

2nd Video....still evaluating, he spoke out of both sides of his mouth, to me.

You guys should think about joining the Union. We won't stand for politicians painting us in such lights as these.

Last edited:
I'm an equal opportunity politician despiser. (Save 1 or 2), I find Obama as detestable as I did Bush W. That being said.

1st Video, he said nothing I can disagree with, prevention through PCPhysicians should be reimbursed higher because it will save money down the road. ( in theory, which is good enough for a politician)

2nd Video....go screw yourself, sir.

In the first Video - he says Surgeons are paid $30,000 by Medicare. They are paid nowhere close to that amount. If you work with real Surgeons, they don't like to do Surgery willy-nilly. They are not Surgery-happy like you would think. There are many times, Surgeons will say someone is not a surgical candidate.

In the first Video - he says Surgeons are paid $30,000 by Medicare. They are paid nowhere close to that amount. If you work with real Surgeons, they don't like to do Surgery willy-nilly. They are not Surgery-happy like you would think. There are many times, Surgeons will say someone is not a surgical candidate.

I am in no way arguing that position. The surgeons I know would beat me senseless if I thought this of them.

Just watched it again to make sure I didn't miss something.
"Take diabetes
Pay a FM doc to modify lifestyle, reimbursed chump change.
But if they need their foot amputated, that's 30k, 40k, 50k the surgeon is reimbursed
So why not reimburse the care that prevents the amputation" (paraphrase, he talks too much and it annoys me)

I don't think he's trying to paint surgeons in a bad light, but the cost of surgery, in this case.

*Redacted comment about second video.*

Last edited:
I am in no way arguing that position. The surgeons I know would beat me senseless if I thought this of them.

"Take diabetes
But if they need their foot amputated, that's 30k, 40k, 50k the surgeon is reimbursed
So why not reimburse the care that prevents the amputation" (paraphrase, he talks too much and it annoys me)

I don't think he's trying to paint surgeons in a bad light, but the cost of surgery, in this case.

A layman hearing those comments of "if they need their foot amputated, that's 30k, 40k, 50k the surgeon is reimbursed", will think that that 30k, 40k, 50k goes into the surgeon's pocket. It doesn't. Also, the HOSPITAL is reimbursed for that, not the surgeon. Why did you redact the comment about the 2nd video?

A layman hearing those comments of "if they need their foot amputated, that's 30k, 40k, 50k the surgeon is reimbursed", will think that that 30k, 40k, 50k goes into the surgeon's pocket. It doesn't. Also, the HOSPITAL is reimbursed for that, not the surgeon. Why did you redact the comment about the 2nd video?

If you're implying that as a politician he knows the GP is stupid and will hear him to be saying "Surgeon will make 30-50k" off of this one surgery, and he used that as a rhetoric tool to polarize his audience....then yeah, I hear you. I'm not sure how diabolical he is, I've tried to ignore him so far, honestly. Don't know much about the man.

The 2nd video...he both seems to be implying that Doctors are forced to do things for a decent reimbursement because the system is broken and that Doctors will do it because they are corrupt. Talking out of both sides of his mouth, in my opinion. I need to listen to it a few more times to be sure.

The fact that the President of the United States is saying the word Physician in a negative light on the public stage means that you guys should consider joining the Union. We're about "Unity in our Union", no whipples necessary. "Stand up to the Man, we have the Plan".

Whipple While We Worker's Union, for hope and change.

Wow, so much lack of insight, it's not even funny.
Care to elaborate? Being undervalued and expendable is an almost unavoidable part of life in the larger corporate world. It pervades every field that lives and breathes by the words supply and demand sans the few "Mom and Pop" companies still focused on quality relationships with employees. I'm sorry but that post came off as immature and lacking in perspective.

The work hours are also a meh. That gets better (usually) once you're done residency. The money does, too.
The number of people out there trying to just make ends meet despite a good education and skill set, and he/she blows through it as if having that kind of financial security is just a given. I don't know, and I'm completely projecting here, but to me it came off as someone who doesn't appreciate what that security means and how much most people are willing to put up with for half of that, but who knows? I may have taken that the wrong way.

You're right about one thing DermViser, I can't talk about the medical world. I'm not a doctor, I'm an engineer, but I am a person, with a real job, and a perspective just as relevant as your own. What I saw in this post was someone who had fantastic pay, good job security, hours they deemed reasonable, and a stimulating environment, who still felt the need to complain about the kind of issues you'd encounter in any job as if he/she were some sort of victim. Patients are people, and people are going to be jerks. You should see what they say to you when you try to sell them pants... And unless you're Mick Jagger, there will always be people you have to tread lightly around, and there isn't a job in the world you couldn't lose through no fault of your own (maybe government/tenured jobs).

I might be happier, actually. Because at least I'd know that it was a useless job, and there wouldn't be this pretense that you, as a person, matter - when you actually don't. Plus, I could leave AT FIVE, instead of having 1-2 hours of paperwork to finish up that has to be done.
And this is the line that really just made me think that this person, despite being an attending physician, does not have perspective. Where do these people go when they leave their low-paying, dead-end office jobs at five? Is that it? They're just super happy because they have no false pretenses about their worth? They're definitely not worried about not being able to afford a house in an area with a good school district. They definitely aren't running numbers in their head before they go to sleep wondering how they'll ever send their kids to college. They definitely aren't working overtime, or working part-time jobs. They don't worry about company downsizing, or performance evaluations, or relocation. No, for a person to have the audacity to say that these peoples' jobs could be preferable to their own because they, as people, at least know their jobs don't matter... Come on.

smq, you came off as a different person in your next post to me, but I'm sorry, this one really just got me going. DermViser, yeah I don't know what it's like to be a doctor. I imagine it has it's downsides, but these are the attitudes that get people so riled up about physicians. I read your posts because you have the perspective of someone in medicine, how about you read mine to get the perspective of someone who isn't?

"Take diabetes

It's also a completely unrealistic number. Medicare reimbursement for an amp is about 1000

Reactions: 1 users

2nd Video....still evaluating, he spoke out of both sides of his mouth, to me.

You guys should think about joining the Union. We won't stand for politicians painting us in such lights as these.

Yeah except a lot of diseases are self-inflicted. Obesity, smoking, diabetes are all due to lifestyle and all you need is lifestyle modification but instead of hitting a treadmill once in a while, you get people talking about "healthy at every weight" or whatever that nonsense is. PCPs are underpaid but paying them more isn't going to change the basic issues that we face which is that people don't care enough about their own health and expect doctors to reverse 30 years of autoinduced damage in a 15 minute visit.

Reactions: 2 users