How is the job market in Illinois??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

m3unsure

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know if gaswork is really representative of the world on the outside, but does anybody have a good idea about Illinois?

Members don't see this ad.

I took a job in Chicago this year.

Outside of Chicago in IL, demand is high and supply is low so job market is wide open: many opportunities, high starting salaries.
In Chicago, a different supply/demand ratio. Jobs exist but you must seek them out and be competitive to get them (probably similar to other large, desirable cities).

I'm in residency in a chicago program and we frequently get emails regarding jobs in medium-sized towns (bloomington, peoria, rockford, etc.) that look pretty good. The ones that list starting salaries/earnings usually list around $300K/yr and 1-2 yr partnership tracks. We do not frequently get emails regarding opportunities within chicago.

I took a job in Chicago this year.

Outside of Chicago in IL, demand is high and supply is low so job market is wide open: many opportunities, high starting salaries.
In Chicago, a different supply/demand ratio. Jobs exist but you must seek them out and be competitive to get them (probably similar to other large, desirable cities).

You can PM me later but are you in an immediate suburb of Chicago? How far away from Chicago can you still make reasonable salary? I'm assuming if you go out to peoria and the like the compensation is a lot better than say for example places like northbrook/skokie,etc?