How late is too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pe3nut

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be writing my MCAT this August, which means my MCAT score will not be released until September. Is this too late for the 2017 admissions cycle? (I am applying to all Australian MD programs)

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

That's too late for most of the bigger schools (ie. Usyd, UQ, Umel) as they would have filled up by then.

You might get lucky with some of the smaller cohorts, Wollongong will be filled by then as well. Griffith's come to mind as a potential choice.

Hmm...do they ever give out acceptances to late applicants for the next cycle (ex. 2018)? Should I aim for the July MCAT then? Thanks so much for your response!

Members don't see this ad :)
I do not believe that they would give out acceptance for the next cycle until the application date for those open up. Sometimes requirements change over the years and the application pool differs every year and to give advance entry that far in advance is just not in their best interest. Getting your results in August is better than September, but it is a rolling admissions system and recently aussie med schools have been filling up earlier year by year. Last year UQ filled around July I think? You may be waitlisted if anything, people always drop out for various reasons before the school year actually starts.

I do not believe that they would give out acceptance for the next cycle until the application date for those open up. Sometimes requirements change over the years and the application pool differs every year and to give advance entry that far in advance is just not in their best interest. Getting your results in August is better than September, but it is a rolling admissions system and recently aussie med schools have been filling up earlier year by year. Last year UQ filled around July I think? You may be waitlisted if anything, people always drop out for various reasons before the school year actually starts.

Thanks!

Its not too late. I think Flinders this year was taking people all the way up to December, but that probably has to do with SA facing internship shortages more than other states.