How to be an exceptional med student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That doesn't imply two groups at all. He could have very easily talked about a third group in a sentence following the one he chose to include.

What do you think about the following construction:

In this world, there exist those people who can count, and those who cannot. There are also people who can count only on themselves. That is neither irrelevant nor arbitrary nor ambiguous.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Guys, come on. @Mad Jack was just making an off-handed comment about Adderall abuse. It was meant as a joke - it wasn't intended to be a detailed treatise that delineates between those taking the medication for legitimate therapeutic purposes and those who are using for other reasons. Stop being so SDN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Methylphenidate or Amphetamines I think.

I plan to use them along with other nootropics, maybe they can save me from failing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Methylphenidate or Amphetamines I think.

I plan to use them along with other nootropics, maybe they can save me from failing.
Amphetamines are illegal. Adderall is not.

Hi again.. So I guess no explanation is needed.. The question simply is: How to be an exceptional med student and be distinguished from the other med students? Does anybody have any special method of studying? What is it that makes you or anybody you know successful or exceptional? Everybody feel free to pitch in. Any advice or experience would be very appreciated.

I found this post helpful: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...percentile-of-your-class.710617/#post-9403559

How to be a successful medical student in 10 steps:

1) stop bitching about everything
2) study
3) study harder
4) stop bitching about everything
5) go back to studying
6) go out drinking on the weekends
7) put a smile on your face, you are currently living a life that a lot of people dream about.
8) stop bitching about everything
9) go study more
10) stop bitching about everything

Reactions: 4 users

2) study
3) study harder
5) go back to studying
7) put a smile on your face, you are currently living a life that a lot of people dream about.
9) go study more

I'm doing pretty poorly with this list

Reactions: 1 users
I have taken adderral a few times. It's awesome but I take it like 4 times and I'm already at very high tolerance level. It sucks... Plus it makes you feel weird sometimes. It probably doesn't change the end result by much, but you feel like you are a studying champion... And you WANT to learn everything you're studying. That's a dangerous combo. Lol. It's not worth it In the mid/long term though. You can't take it forever ( unless you have add for real) because of the health problems.

2) study
3) study harder
5) go back to studying
9) go study more

I think number 6 helps the most.

2) study
3) study harder
5) go back to studying
9) go study more

not so sure about number 7, unlimited hookers and blow with no repercussions a lot of people would take that lifestyle over constantly studying for 12 years.

Reactions: 3 users
not so sure about number 7, unlimited hookers and blow with no repercussions a lot of people would take that lifestyle over constantly studying for 12 years.

lol you're my boy for this post

Members don't see this ad :)
I know this happened a while ago, but y'all freaking out about the adderall comment need to stop being so triggered. He's not trying to demean people with ADHD. Smh with people trying to find offense where none is intended.

Just get a high step 1 score. Everyone will think the world of you

Reactions: 1 users
Just get a high step 1 score. Everyone will think the world of you
Its not like you walk into a rotation with a number stamped on your head and everyone treats you differently and the outcome is predetermined. Instead, it is a blank slate and all of us have to work hard to be a good medical student in MS3 regardless of our Step 1.

Yes, but we are def not on the same slate when we meet w/ the chair of the program or our clinical advisors. Their eyes open wide when they see that high score. For me they mock and belittle me for the whole conversation.

I don't think Adderall always improves grades. We saw it so many times on psych. A student from other institutions (we can't see our own university students on psych) would come in, the physician would be like how are your grades (including medical students from other places), and the patients would be like they're "ok". Patients also looked like sometime was off. They were unnaturally smiley with a huffiness that just put me on edge.

Also, I've found out close friends of mine have used Adderall in the past and their performance is still the same. All that has changed is they go on long rants on FB every now and then and say **** that they probably wouldn't say if they weren't on adderall. A good example of this is this one guy who I know takes adderall because he's friends with another friend of mine. In a patient safety day we were having he was put on the spot about what human engineering factor he may apply to prevent an a lapse, he rudely shakes his head and made his body language seem like the professor was asking an idiotic question. Then he blurted out that he would load the doctor who made the mistake on Adderall in front of the whole class including attending physicians and seemed to not regret it. I thought I knew the guy well during the first year of med school and I felt he was a very genuine, kind person. When I approached him that day and told him I thought his response was stupid, inconsiderate, and the equivalent of blurting out to the class that he was probably using adderall he like literally had no response and kinda mocked me and just made me feel like I was doing a terrible thing by being honest... I was like screw you man. I'm not being real with you anymore.

TL;DR: I think buying adderall from other students instead of being diagnosed with attention deficit and prescribed it is probably not a great idea...

Last edited: